- June 26: Investigation Into Vacuum Assist Pumps in Ford F-150 Trucks
- June 24: Ford Recalls 203,000 Escape SUVs and Transit Connect Vans
- June 23: Ford 5.4 Liter Spark Plug Lawsuit
- June 7: Ford Fusion Hybrid MPG Lawsuit Says Advertised MPG Is Wrong
- May 27: Ford Recalls 443,000 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Cars
2005 Ford Escape
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.
However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)
Worst 2005 Escape engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine shutdown while driving22
- engine cutting in and out6
- engine knock4
- died when put into gear3
- motor blew3
- rough idle and hesitation on acceleration3
- excessive oil consumption1
- faulty engine sensor1
- high pitched squeal on cold start1
- ice buildup around throttle1
- takes off at high rate of speed1
- turns over but won't start1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling9
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control9
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal8
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine4
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.