CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Apr 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was shipped to germany due to military duty. A week later after delivered, my wife was driving it going down a short hill when the vehicle turned off completely and brakes were not functioning. My wife had to stop the vehicle with parking brake. After that the engine was losing power and the alarm was going off very often. We drove the vehicle few occasions and it turned off couple of times again.I ordered the part and replaced it in 2014. The vehicle is running fine, however the alarm still going off and engine light is on again on dashboard. At this point I do not know if the vehicle is indicating the same problem or something new.

- Ae, AE, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving an unknown speed, the vehicle started to sputter and the engine would stall. The contact mentioned that the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Arnold, CA, USA

Jul 042014

Escape 6-cyl

I just bought this car and my check engine light came on. I took it to the mechanics and they fixed one of the coils. It still did the same thing after I got it back[ sputtering]. I went to wal-mart and coming back it cut off on me. Luckily I was at a stop, but ifi had of been going at full speed it would have hurt me and my seven year old because since it has power steering, when it cut off the steering wheel goes stiff. From what I have seeon the internet this is a common problem and the Ford place will not do anything about it. Please investigate it. I think that this would help other people.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Jul 162014

Escape 6-cyl

I bought a used 2005 Ford Escape limited 6 days ago it was running fine no problems lights or warnings. Then I was driving down the highway accelerating to 50mph and my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and stopped running. I towed it back to where I got it and they stated that the computer waa fried. Now I am waiting for them to replace it. I have seen similiar complaints about the same model and year. Fried computer due to ignition coils. I believe with as many complaints about this recurring problem there should be a recall, but I guess we have to wait till someone dies because of it. A shame that's the only way things get done.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jul 042014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, all warning lights started blinking and illuminating on the control panel. The contact mentioned that immediately after the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but no repairs had been made. The dealer was contacted and stated that the transmission needed to be pull apart to determine if the torque converter caused the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 76,382.

- Cheshire, MA, USA

Jun 022014

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and turned off. The contact attempted to restart the vehicle on several occasions but it failed to start. The check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel and the steering became difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the PCM and the electric spark coils needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and did not offer a remedy. The failure and current mileage was 113,000. CN10/24/14 updated 04/16/2015

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 232014

Escape

Traveling on the highway at 55 miles per hour and the entire engine stalled and cut off. I had the car towed to a local shop where they told me that 3 out of the 6 coils basically were not working and the PCM/computer was completely shot, they wanted over $1600 at dealership to fix this. Ford had apparently distributed a bulletin about this problem to the dealerships but not their customers - who this problem affects the most. I was lucky that I was able to pull over to the side of the road and not hit anyone or get killed. I can't imagine how many people this has affected because it is all over the internet. The repair ended up costing well over $1000 because of the spark plugs that Ford knew were faulty years ago. A simple changing of the spark plugs instead of six coils. I see no difference in GM having to recall vehicles that shut off on the highway and Ford having to recall these vehicles for basically the same reason and reimburse their customers, our cars are shutting off too.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 222014

Escape 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Escape 3.0 V6 had a coil issue that Ford knew about and sent service bulletins to dealers, but not the affected parties. The coils were defective from a vendor and when they failed, burnt out the psm, making the automobile unusable and expensive to fix. Ford has known about this since 2011 and has done nothing to rectify it, or help, all of those whose Escapes have stopped running completely. Mine had this go out and now the parts are on back order for months, as well as incredibly expensive. Please help to get Ford to order a recall on this for all of us.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 282014

Escape 6-cyl

I turned a corner and was only going 20 mph when the vehicle went dead. I had no control so luckily I wasn't going fast. I stopped the vehicle. I had to get it towed. One mechanic said my coils and spark plugs were bad because of the fuel rail pressure sensor malfunction. Second opinion - the PCM needed to be reprogrammed or replaced. Third opinion - all of the above. It costs $1900 and two tow bills ($275). The engine light had been on for several months. The only code was the fuel rail pressure sensor high input (P0193 generic).

- Quitman, MS, USA

May 172012

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled as the engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the PCM and ignition coils were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 190,000 and the current mileage was 195,000.

- Marshall, MO, USA

Jan 072014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, all of the warning lamps illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle could not be restarted and was towed from the scene. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 26,000.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Aug 082013

Escape

The gas pedal was stuck after mashing on it hard it broke loose when approching a stop sign I stopped and try to go again but gas pedal was stuck why is there not a recall. I also have transmission and rearend problems but they both are costly repairs I am concerned about the gas pedal please fix it before someone gets hurt there really should be a recall on

- West Point, VA, USA

Dec 132006

Escape 4-cyl

From a stop this vehicle has a problem with the throttle. It is intermittent, but when it occurs you unable to press the throttle. It is jammed. It seems if I place the gear shift back into park then to drive it will be free again and drive normally. This started happening once in a while years ago, but seems to be occurring a lot more frequently now.

- Beecher, IL, USA

Nov 262012

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed a burning oil smell and vapor emitting from under the hood. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance and the contact was informed that there was an oil leak and a gasket would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Escape

My son was driving the car and it started to sputter. Did the same thing the next time it was driven and has ever since. I had it to two mechanics which said that the #4 was misfiring and start coil problem. Replaced.. not working still. Have talked to two dealerships about it one told me to have it towed to them. Going to one closer so that I can talk to them. Both say there is a problem. From what I have read Ford company has not issued a recall to fix it. Not sure if I will be able to afford it. I prefer Ford but may have to go with a different Ford vehicle. We have had everything else but there is nothing like a Ford. Our last Ford truck was a 93 and we just got rid of it a year and a half ago still running. I do not want to give up on my Ford.

- Chrisman, IL, USA

Nov 042013

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the PCM had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 114,487. The VIN was unavailable.

- Davisville, WV, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the spark plugs and coils would have to be replaced. After the repair, the failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic who stated the computer would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. Updated 12/30/13

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down the highway at approx 50 mph, then without warning, simultaneously the dashboard lights came on and the vehicle immediately quit running.

- New Castle, , PA, USA

Sep 192013

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The was able to restart the vehicle, which began driving roughly. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where a diagnostic was performed and concluded that the engine control module, coil assembly and the spark plug gasket would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Sep 122013

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to a repair center and the mechanic stated that the spark plugs, coils, computer and the catalytic converter had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bowie, MD, USA