Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Oct 022012

Driving at any speed, vehicle will suddenly loose engine power and engine will stutter or shake as someone pulled out one spark plug and vehicle is trying to compensate. Engine light will flash during this time aprox 40 seconds and then engine will catch and resume normal driving. Does not matter if engine is hot or cold, short or long distance this will happen randomly with out warning. Ac off heat off ac on heat on does not matter. We are now trying to google the problem and see what others have done with the same problem. Ford has been no help after reading the codes they try to fix what my personal mechanic has already replaced. Codes always read the same thing coils, fuel injection all have already been replaced and problem persists. Has been in to repair numerous times and spent 1,000's of dollars on vehicle.

- Chicago , IL, USA

May 302011

After driving at high speeds and then slowing down, (for example: Getting off the interstate on the offramp) the Escape will stall out and the engine will stop. It will start again, but will stall out when the car is put into gear. This has happened multiple times to me. Mechanics have not been able to repeat the issue. There is a recall on the 2004 Escape due to this exact mistake, but the Ford dealership will not fix mine because they cannot repeat the issue.

- Petal, MS, USA

Aug 052013

Driving 55 mph on highway, car sounded like it downshifted into much lower gear (very loud) with jerky motion, immediately lost power, was climbing large hill, coasted to side of road in heavy traffic, lost power steering, made horrific grinding sound, and then stopped. Idled for 30-45 seconds, all dashlights came on before dying on highway. I have reviewed on this model Escape, they are notorious for PCM computer going with no notice. My mechanic informs me today that is the problem, cost for repair is about $2,000, not covered by the extended warranty I purchased. This is a well documented issue that clearly creates safety issues when driving at high rates of speed, with no warning. The car was "fine" by all other accounts, this happened out of no where.

- Alfred, ME, USA

Sep 112012

Escape 6-cyl

9/10/12, while driving on the freeway my check engine light came on and my car started running very hard and started shaking and I could feel the car loosing power. I turned the steering wheel towards the right to pull over and as I pressed the gas pedal I could feel the car had shut off. I was able to pull off to the side of the highway and my car smell like something was burning. After sitting for about 15mins the car started and I was able to start the car and drove it at about 40 mph until getting off the exit to go home which was about 10 more miles. I had to continuously press the gas making the car accelerate between 30 to 40mph because the car started to repeat the same thing as I stated earlier. I took the car to the shop 9/13/12 (my car had 153224 miles) and was told there was misfire on #2 coil, so I paid to have the coil changed. 2/15/13 my check engine light came back on and the car was repeatedly hesitating, I took it the shop 2/19/13 (my car had 163071 miles) and had the same misfire code, so I paid to have all three rear coils changed, the owner showed me the old coils & the #2 coil look burned and burst open from the top. After changing the coils the check engine light came back on with the same misfire code for #2 coil and I paid to have it changed again 6/18/13 (my car had 171459 miles). The engine light came back on with the same code and I paid to changed it again 7/12/13 (my car had 173095 miles) after I drove the car about 50 miles the light came back on. I had the code read again on 7/30/13 (my car had 173920 miles) and it gave the same code for a misfire on coil #2. the owner of the shop advised me to take the car to the dealer and explain the problem and check if there has been a recall on the 2005 model. I called the Ford dealership and was told I would have to pay for them to do another diagnostic quoted at $140.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Within 1/4 mile of starting and driving from home, the engine began to run very rough, misfiring, idling rough, etc. Pulled over, opened hood, engine was idling very rough. No check engine light. Brought it back home. Total trip was less than 1 mile. Next day, started it up again, ran smoother, but had no power; very difficult to get above 20-30mph. Brought it to repair shop. They determined that all three catalytic converters were clogged up from broken/melted catalytic converter internal parts. Replaced all three catalytic converters, but repair shop could not determine the cause of the initial misfiring and catalytic converter damage. Check engine light never came on at any time. Total repair cost $2350. Car had been in the same shop earlier that week for state inspection and lube-oil-filter. No issues found at that time. Battery had failed two days before the problem, and was replaced the morning of the problem. The issue appeared upon first driving the car after the battery was changed.

- Canton, MA, USA

Jun 082013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the engine began to operate roughly. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic for inspection where they stated that the computer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sun Perry, WI, USA

Dec 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle would idle roughly and during inclement weather, the vehicle would shake with the illumination of the check engine warning light. In addition, the vehicle stalled while driving 55 mph. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic, who stated that the engine coil was defective, causing the computer to fail. As a result, the engine coil was replaced. A second coil was found to be defective after the repair. The mechanic stated that all of the engine coils needed to be replaced. The contact did not replace the engine coils. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 252013

My wife was driving all of sudden vehicle kept accelerating without her foot being on the gas pedal. She was traveling at 25mph when vehicle accelerated to 45mph on its own. She had to take action to avoid having an accident. The vehicle now will rev high when first turning on vehicle. The longer vehicle runs the higher the engine revs and increases speed on its own.

- Tarboro, NC, USA

May 102013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 45 mph the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing and advised the contact that the PCM and coils needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 106,000.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I just purchased the vehicle used from ogden Lincoln in westmont Illinois. On the way home from the dealer, the engine stalled twice while approaching a stop. No warnings, the engine just stopped. On both occurrences, I was able to restart the vehicle right away. I've owned this vehicle less then 6 hours now and I'm afraid to drive it.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Nov 012012

Engine computer ceased to function and the car completely died. PCM required repair. Known issue, Ford needs to remedy this!!

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 272012

It was two days after I got the car, I was driving home from manassas to fairfax, all of a sudden the engine light came on the truck started to sputter and I lost acceleration in my truck. I was on 495 at night and the dash board stated that the car would shut down so that the engine would not over heat. I had to call a tow truck to pep boys in annandale, va and they fixed the problem. But, I still have acceleration problems after it was fixed. I will take it back to pepboys to find out if it is the same problem.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Mar 022013

While driving the car completely went dead. Everything turned off. Had to drift to side of the road. Technician told me it was a PCM problem and needs to replace, coils, plugs and PCM.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Jan 022013

Escape 6-cyl

This is being resubmitted, since I believe the reevaluation of the 09 and newer Ford Escapes is the same problem that has been occurring with the earlier year Ford Escapes, but has not received review. A defective PCM which causes complete auto shutdown, burning out the coils, etc. Has documented complaints all over the internet in car complaint and buying sites for this vehicle. The PCM is defective on the Escape and when it stops functioning all power is lost, and this occurs without warning leaving one without brakes, power steering, etc. This has been a known problem with Ford and yet Ford refuses to correct the problem and the bill is in the neighborhood of $2500-3000 to be shouldered by the customer. Malfunction, however, has more ominous sequelae than monetary cost, in that it may cost lives from crashes. Ford should recall these vehicles to repair the causation, but obviously Ford needs pressure from the public and in particular the NHTSA !

- Stilwell, KS, USA

Feb 252013

I have a random incident with my Ford Escape 2005, where at times when on cruise control, the engine will accelerate unexpectedly. After many years of driving, and attempting to file a complaint about the issue with Ford but refused as it wasn't reproducible when allotted, I think this issue occurs because the cruise control has self adjusted itself when towing a trailer. But after detaching the trailer and taking the truck for a long hilly ride, the engine computer may think it's still towing a trailer and strongly accelerate the engine when going uphill with the cruise control on. This is only based on what I have experience, and include no computer log examination. Not the best thing to happen if a police car is around, and being a safe driver. I'm not too concerned about this issue, as I self manage the issue. (tend to self manage a lot of things these days.) this vehicle has served me quite well, except for a loud knock on the front drive axle on this AWD - likely a bad bearing that they didn't fix when they fixed it initially. Shrugs.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Nov 292012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact moved the vehicle to the shoulder and was able to restart it after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the ignition coil, spark plug, and the power control module would have to be replaced. The parts were replaced but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The PCM was replaced a second time along with the battery. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 97,500. Updated 02/26/13 also, the air bag light illuminated. The dealer cleared the cods for the connection on the drivers side seat belt buckle

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012012

After 5 years of maintaining my vehicle, only one owner, I made my last payment on car, the number 4 cylinder no longer working, never been in a accident, so now I have a SUV that looks good but will cost about (5000.00) based on Ford estimate. I will never purchase a vehicle from Ford again, when I took the SUV to Ford the sales person told me I just need to get rid of the car its time for another, they will give me $500 for my SUV I told him my mother has 1989 Buick and still running with no major problems. So that not true. SUV in garage, I had to buy a Camry, I must say I love my Camry. Will never ever get another Ford... so upset.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Our 2005 Ford Escape has a surging problem.when stopped at a light, every once in a while the engine will suddenly speed keep it from moving forward you have to press hard on the brake pedal.a Ford dealership wanted $85 to diagnose the problem.this is unacceptable for a safety problem.

- Springville, IN, USA

Jan 232013

The contact owns 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle hesitated then stalled. The contact mentioned that the check engine lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the coils and computer were defective. As a result, the coils, computer, and the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 131,000. The VIN was not available.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Jan 102012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic for a diagnostic test. The test results showed a defect in the engine causing the cylinders to misfire. The mechanic noticed a cylinder was cracked and replaced the damaged cylinder. The repair did not remedy the misfiring. The dealer performed another diagnostic test. The second test results showed that all of the cylinders were misfiring and the computer had malfunctioned. The contact had replaced the coils several times before taking the vehicle to a mechanic. The failure mileage was 30,000. The current mileage was 124,000.

- Ridgefield , NJ, USA