Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Nov 012012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated the accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor while the vehicle on and while driving at low speeds. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V353000 (vehicle speed control: Cables) (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000. The current mileage was 98,000.

- Hagerstown , MD, USA

Dec 102012

My car's gas pedal felt like it became stuck, almost feeling like the car was in neutral even though it was in drive. I was on a hill. Then suddenly it sped off fast with a jolt. Our mechanic said it needs a new throttle. After doing research on my car's make & model, it appears that this has been an ongoing concern. It's very dangerous.

- Easton, PA, USA

Dec 262012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis. The contact was informed that the power control module, the connecting coils, and spark plugs would all need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 88,000.

- Cleveland, GA, USA

Jan 022013

Escape 6-cyl

After luckily just exiting interstate 70, but entering highway 40 my vehicle completely died with all electrical functions inoperative (obviously including power brakes, steering, etc). This occurred on an upgrade with a city bus directly behind me which was forced to swerve into the adjacent lane. Auto would not restart and it was towed to a neighboring Ford dealership. There was absolutely no warning of a check engine light etc. At the dealership I was informed that an "electrical engine module" had burned out which also completely fried all the engine coils. (a complete electrical tune-up, etc. Had been performed about a year earlier). I was also informed that the diagnosis was possible because of a Ford internal memo indicating what could happen if the module malfunctioned. The good news is that I had just exited an interstate, but this could have been disastrous and it seems that Ford was aware of the possibility of this problem. The cost now to fix the problem is $2600 and I have no assurance that this couldn't happen again with more severe squealed.

- Stilwell, KS, USA

Apr 252007

Escape 4WD

I own a Ford Escape 2005 four door 4WD that has been every 2-3 years in the shop for coils and computer damage. Ford has a problem with these cars and the problem is that last Friday I was driving on a main road when all of a sudden my car just died while I am driving in a 50 mile zoned road. Luckily, I was able to quickly maneuver the vehicle to a safe spot. I was informed that it will cost $2700 to replace the computer that was shorted out due to the coils going bad - I had the coils changed two times since 2007 Ford knows about this problem Ford srb 09.2.6 and tsb 09-2-6 ignition coil problem that so many others are having with this car - the car stalls always when driving 50 or more on a main road or highway and it is very dangerous to all of a sudden lose power on a highway at high speeds and not being able to even move the steering wheel to glide your car safely to the side of the road due to the steering locking up because the car dies totally. The computer codes that show up are P0351 -P0354 and some other ones that I didn't write down when I was talking to the thompsons mechanic. I cant believe that this year and model wasn't recalled - according to thompsons, there is a back order for the computer module for this car, two weeks minimum due to so many Escapes 2005 needing this same computer because it was shorted out prematurely and unsafely. It never happens when you drive less than 50 so this is strange and very dangerous.I would like Ford to repay us the damages and costs that us customers, have dished out recurring every 2-3 years. Coils should not have to be replaced that many times nor should the plugs and absolutely not the computer. Please look into this and make Ford do a recall and retroactive since they already have so many complaints about this same problem but they don't want to or refuse to do a mass recall.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Nov 242012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work on us 41 South when my 2005 Ford Escape just started to buck and would not accelerate, I was going approximately 45 mph and the car just shut off. I could not steer or start it again and was almost hit by an 18 wheel vehicle and killed. I immediately put my flashers on and kept retrying to start the car to get it off the road. This could have killed me and others this morning! this is a Ford Motor Company mechanical issue and they knew about this problem with this model vehicle and choose to not recall it!! how many people have died from this problem that we are not aware of"?" I took the car and had it checked out and they said that Ford issued a bulletin on this exact issue and how to fix it! only now, its going to cost me, the consumer $2000 or more to fix!! I am so upset from it, I am almost paid off on this vehicle and I feel that this issue should be looked into by the attorney general and by the transportation department of safety!

- Venice, FL, USA

Dec 242011

Escape 6-cyl

Prior to the incident in question the car had a few days of abnormal behavior including hesitation and rough idle. The incident occurred on christmas eve while I was driving down a two lane highway. While traveling 50 mph the car lost power and although I was terribly scared, I managed to get off the highway safely. I was told that the computer failed (PCM) which is very expensive to fix hence the reason it has been almost a year. I am a retired widow raising my 12 year old granddaughter feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place; not able to afford the repairs and unable to do things without a car. I see that many many others have had this same issue, please help Ford face their neglect with regard to this issue. Thank you

- Forbestown , CA, USA

Nov 022012

On way home, car shut off while going 35 mph. Coils started to smoke. Towed to nearest dealer and was told all coils, plugs and powertrain module needs to be replaced at $2500. Researched legitimate websites and found many owners with same problem that had fixed more than once at $2500. Was told by dealer that NHTSA only recalls for safety & emissions. This is clearly a safety issue, especially if going a high speed on interstate and car shuts off without warning. Thankfully my kids were not in car.

- Richmond , VA, USA

Oct 122012

I was trying down the highway doing about 55 mph all the lights came on the car, I was able to get to the side of the road. I stopped the car for about 5 minutes was able to restart and drive another 1/2 mile and it happened again. Got the car towed to a mechanic, who placed engine on code machine and states my engine coils were bad. Replaced all of my engine coils and the car is still riding like a dump trunk. Took do a Ford dealership who charged me $160 to put on machine and told me it was my engine coils, I have replaced all the coils. I am just at my witts end. I will not ever buy a Ford again. As a side note, I put a transmission in this truck about 2 years ago and the dealer who fixed my car, didn't even give me a rental to drive. Its a new and used car dealership and they couldn't even give me one of their cars to drive. Are you serious?

- Asbury Park, NJ, USA

Oct 132012

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving our 2005 Ford Escape on the highway at 55 mph when it completely cut off on her. Luckily she was able to get to the side of the highway without incident. She got the car back on and made it home, however, it was jerking and misfiring all the way home. We took it to a mechanic who said it needed spark plugs and 2 coils to the tune of $700. When we went to pick it up we were told that the computer was shot and that we had to take it to the Ford dealership. The Ford place is replacing all 6 coils and the computer for $2300. Apparently there is a known problem with Ford installing the wrong spark plugs in these models at the factory causing the coils and the computer to go out. I don't understand why Ford has not recalled this problem. Going down a highway at 55 mph and you car cuts off is a safety issue in my eyes!!

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Oct 162012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving home from work and the car stalls out of nowhere. Then the check engine, oil, and ABS warning lights all lit up. After about 20 min I tried starting up the car again and it started up and slowly made it home. The following day it happen again! luckily no one was behind me, otherwise I would have been rear ended. Immediately looked online describing the issue to see if I could find out what could be causing this, and come to find out an overwhelming amount of people have experienced the same thing! this is a safety hazard and had I been on a major highway the result could have drastically different. It is appalling that this has been a know issue and Ford has done nothing to remedy the safety of it's customers.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Oct 092012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at 55 mph and car began to lurch and buck. Car shut off 3 times in busy intersection with no warning and almost caused an accident. Took to mechanic, and learned that the computer system had shorted out due to manufacturers using incorrect spark plugs. Apparently, this is a common issue with this year and make. This is a dangerous problem, and can occur anywhere, doing any speed! the computer system must be replaced and it is very expensive.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Sep 132012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic who confirmed that the coils needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Aug 122012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that there was a computer failure. The vehicle was being repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 82,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 242012

Escape 6-cyl

Was on an access road onto interstate 4 in tampa, car completely shut down and I was able to barely steer it to the side of the road, since it was a large overpass I had more than typical room to get the car stopped. Later I was told by the Ford dealership that coils were damaged and PCM computer went out. I checked and I found numerous complaints for this same issue with cost to fix it from $1300 to $2700. Evidently Ford is aware of this total engine shut down problem that is caused by a computer failure. In most cases people are driving the car and it completely stalls with little or no warning and minimal maneuverability. I was fortunate it happened on the overpass and not on the busy interstate.

- Indian Rocks Beach, FL, USA

Jul 202012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving home from work, I went to accelerate. Upon reaching 40. I heard a substantial backfire noise, and the engine shut off in the middle of a busy road causing me to block traffic as I coasted almost into a busy intersection. I was able to put it in neutral and restart the engine after coasting for 100+ feet. After which, the engine began running very rough and rugged never being able to accelerate about 30 mph and causing major traffic problems. I took it to a dealership (varsity Ford in ann arbor, mi) and have been told that my 2005 Ford Escape was in trouble. Apparently, my spark plug after being clogged, caused a backfire which blew my ignition coils and sparkplugs and my PCM. I am being quoted $2,200. At my last oil change (3 months ago) varsity Ford told me I was getting close to needing a tune up but it was not necessary that day and that I could wait until my next oil change. I was planning on going this weekend because I was heading out of town. Had I been told the risk was a $400 tune up vs. A $2,200 blown engine, maybe I would have changed the spark plugs. I'm very distraught at the Ford dealership, and now am questioning whether I will ever buy a Ford or work with a Ford dealership.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jul 112012

While driving on the expressway, my gas pedal snapped forward by itself and accelerated my car. Then snapped back and hit my foot in the position it was already in. This has happened before, several times over the course of my ownership of this car. (I bought it new) I ignored it the first few times because I thought it was related to being on cruise control, but this was not always the case. I saw on fox news that there is an ongoing investigation; and called Ford to see if they would repair my car and they said no. I am hoping they will have a recall, because I plan on keeping this car for awhile, and don't want to pay for the repairs. Thanks.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 222012

Escape 6-cyl

We were accelerating to get on the interstate when the vehicle suddenly died without warning. No telling what would have happened if we were driving at freeway speeds. We coasted to the breakdown lane and had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealer who stated the computer (PCM), all the coil over plugs (cop) and spark plugs were damaged and needed replacement. This is a known issue as it is described exactly in Ford service bulletin tsb 09-2-6. the spark plugs in the 2005 and 2006 cause radio frequency interference with the PCM which damages the PCM and the other components. The least Ford could have done was notify us that replacing the spark plugs could have prevented this very expensive repair. The problems don't end there. A few days after the repair we were again accelerating to get on the interstate when the vehicle lost power and would not go over 50mph. We brought the vehicle back to the Ford dealer who stated the catalytic converters (there are 3 of them) were clogged due to raw fuel coming in contact with the converters probably due to the previous engine problems. The cost to fix the converters is even more than the cost of the initial repair. We've decided to not have the dealer repair the vehicle as the total cost of all the repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. We called Ford customer service and they were of no help in this situation. I think Ford should cover the costs of these repairs for an issue knew existed. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall for this problem as I see that it has happened to a lot of other 2005 Escapes listed in your database. I imagine we will more of these failures as these vehicles age.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 142012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving down the road car just quit towed to dealership only to find out the computer shorted out which also destroyed all the coils. I just printed out 13 pages of this having happened to other Escape owners and that a Ford service bulletin (09-2-6) was at one time issued--- this will cost a ton of money to correct for a problem Ford has known about for some time. When mine quit I had smoke pouring out from under the hood so there was a potential for a fire and just quitting with no warning-- why has Ford not had a recall on this issue for what could have been a life threatening situation?

- Pavilion, NY, USA

May 282012

Escape 6-cyl

My car stalled on a major highway. Diagnosed with a defective PCM. Ford has been aware of this common problem with this particular vehicle.

- Cohoes, NY, USA