Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Sep 272012

It was two days after I got the car, I was driving home from manassas to fairfax, all of a sudden the engine light came on the truck started to sputter and I lost acceleration in my truck. I was on 495 at night and the dash board stated that the car would shut down so that the engine would not over heat. I had to call a tow truck to pep boys in annandale, va and they fixed the problem. But, I still have acceleration problems after it was fixed. I will take it back to pepboys to find out if it is the same problem.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Feb 052013

Escape 4-cyl

2005 Ford Escape has a critical safety issue with the gas pedal completely locking up. Sometimes tapping pedal will free it. As of 3/5/2013 I am not allowing my daughter to use this vehicle. This has been an ongoing problem. We have had the vehicle towed only to have the mechanic unable to identify the cause. From what I have seen on the web, this appears to be a very common issue. Ford should be responsible for determining the cause and issue a recall asap, before someone is seriously injured or worse.

- Moseley, VA, USA

Feb 252013

I have a random incident with my Ford Escape 2005, where at times when on cruise control, the engine will accelerate unexpectedly. After many years of driving, and attempting to file a complaint about the issue with Ford but refused as it wasn't reproducible when allotted, I think this issue occurs because the cruise control has self adjusted itself when towing a trailer. But after detaching the trailer and taking the truck for a long hilly ride, the engine computer may think it's still towing a trailer and strongly accelerate the engine when going uphill with the cruise control on. This is only based on what I have experience, and include no computer log examination. Not the best thing to happen if a police car is around, and being a safe driver. I'm not too concerned about this issue, as I self manage the issue. (tend to self manage a lot of things these days.) this vehicle has served me quite well, except for a loud knock on the front drive axle on this AWD - likely a bad bearing that they didn't fix when they fixed it initially. Shrugs.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Jan 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Our 2005 Ford Escape has a surging problem.when stopped at a light, every once in a while the engine will suddenly speed keep it from moving forward you have to press hard on the brake pedal.a Ford dealership wanted $85 to diagnose the problem.this is unacceptable for a safety problem.

- Springville, IN, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that during cold weather and when trying to accelerate, the vehicle would hesitate for approximately 5 seconds. The failure recurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised him that the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000. The current mileage was approximately 128,000.

- Delano, MN, USA

Nov 012012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated the accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor while the vehicle on and while driving at low speeds. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V353000 (vehicle speed control: Cables) (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000. The current mileage was 98,000.

- Hagerstown , MD, USA

Dec 102012

My car's gas pedal felt like it became stuck, almost feeling like the car was in neutral even though it was in drive. I was on a hill. Then suddenly it sped off fast with a jolt. Our mechanic said it needs a new throttle. After doing research on my car's make & model, it appears that this has been an ongoing concern. It's very dangerous.

- Easton, PA, USA

Dec 232012

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling northbound on interstate 476 car suddenly lost power and would refuse to accelerate over 10 mph. Luckily it was early on a Sunday morning, and not high-traffic time, we successfully pulled the car over to the shoulder. Our mechanic has been working on and researching the issue. Turns out Ford is aware and has issued a "service bulletin" that the computer is faulty, and affects the catalytic converters, spark plugs, and coils. A quick search on car complaints told us we were not the only ones, and it appears to be a time rather than mileage failure. While most are complaining about the minimum $2,000 fix, we are thankful it did not cause harm to us or anyone else. How many 2005 Ford Escapes are on the roads these days?

- Media, PA, USA

Jan 012013

The gas pedal is "sticking." It won't depress. Throttle body problem.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Dec 112012

Several times, the accelerator pedal would stick to the point that I could stand on it and it would not budge. It happens most frequently in colder weather but the temperature of the car has no effect. There is no real pattern to when it won't work. Ford recommended replacing the throttle body, however after researching, the throttle body is not something that is normally replaced at this mileage.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 282012

I was driving up to a stop light so I removed my foot from the gas and to the brake, before I could get to the red light it changed to green, I went to press on the gas and the pedal was stuck. It would not go down nothing. I coasted to the side of the busy highway kept trying to press it and it wouldn't go down. After about 5 mins of just sitting there I tried it again and it went down without a problem. This vehicle was recalled in the prior years for this exact issue 2004 and below. However my 2005 is not recalled. It is now at the Ford dealership and I am waiting on a cost estimate. The vehcile did tend to do this from time to time only when its cold outside. I took it in several years ago to be repaird and when they test drove it, it woudn't stick for them so no issue was found for them to repair.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 222012

Escape 4-cyl

Recurrent problem: The sudden inability to accelerate because the gas pedal won't budge. The throttle cable is binding somewhere. A couple of years ago the throttle cable snapped on our 2005 Ford Escape, breaking off behind the accelerator pedal inside the cabin. (we had taken the car in for this hard-to-press-gas-pedal problem when the car was very new, and at the time the dealership did not discover the cause and could not reproduce the problem.) after it snapped, the cable was replaced by the Ford dealership at our (considerable) expense. Now the gas pedal is once again refusing to budge several times on each drive, and we have to take the vehicle in again for inspection. The sudden inability to accelerate increases the likelihood of rear-end collisions. If the throttle cable binds as you're merging onto a highway, a high speed rear-end collision could occur. If you're unable to accelerate as you're crossing a road where cross traffic does not have to stop, you can be a sitting duck for a broadside collision.

- Swarthmore, PA, USA

Nov 132012

After starting the car, the gas pedal felt like it had a brick under it. It would not move. After the car warmed up, it worked again. During the last month, this has happened in traffic, forcing me to pull off the road since I could not accelerate, several times in very heavy traffic. While driving recently, on the highway, hours after beginning my trip, the accelerator became stuck, for 2 or 3 seconds, causing me great concern. Now, every morning I have to wait about 15 minutes for the pedal to free itself in order to be able to drive the vehicle. It sticks off and on at least twice during the warm up period. I don't have exact dates, but this has happened several times during the last few months intermittently and has been very frightening when it happens in traffic. This happened to me a few years ago, a time or two, but the problem went away. Now it is a daily occurrence. The cooler temperature seems to be a factor. I am reluctant to bring the vehicle to a Ford dealer since I have read many postings from people who have been unsuccessful getting the problem corrected, even after spending a sizeable amount of money. Additionally, I cant find any evidence that Ford has any idea how to correct the problem.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Nov 142012

I was driving on the highway going about 65 mph. When I tried to press down on the gas it was stuck I could not accelerate. I pressed as hard as I could and it was stuck. I had to put it in neutral and pull over.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Nov 132012

I own at 2005 Ford Escape. In 2007 and 2009 I had two incidents of being at a red light and when I pushed on the accelerator it felt hard to press and would not budge. I had to pull over and continually push on the accelerator and the car would finally go. This morning I had the same thing happen. The first two incidents resulted in my taking the car to the dealership and they replaced the throttle body stating that it was a defective part. After this most recent incident I am planning on taking the car to the dealership again.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jan 092008

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while parked she attempted to start the vehicle when she noticed the gas pedal was sticking causing the vehicle to accelerate. The contact started to tap the gas pedal and managed to unlodged the pedal. Also the contact mentioned that the failure occurs constantly during the winter. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The technician stated the throttle needed to be sprayed with wd-40. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Lan Pasas, TX, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While stopped in a parking space, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal but noticed that the pedal had become hard and would not respond. The contact placed the vehicle in neutral and then back into drive while continually applying pressure to the accelerator pedal. The vehicle jerked forward and proceeded to accelerate. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA

Nov 062012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down highway at aprox. 55 mph. Theft light came on in vehicle and vehicle quickly decelerated. From the research that I gathered, this is a known problem to Ford. Faulty spark plugs were installed in some 2005 Escapes. The spark plugs emit a radio frequency that cause the coils to basically fry your computer. Ford has released a bulletin about this (tsb 09-2-6) but refuses to issue a recall. This is a huge safety issue, as decelerating on a major highway without brake lights has the potential to cause a terrible accident. Contacted Ford's corporate office and was offered no assistance. I would like to have my spark plugs at least checked at no charge. The cost, for only checking the spark plugs to see if they are the ones affected is $90. I believe that this should be a recall. Ford is well aware of the problem but refuses to take any steps to fix this.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 4-cyl

While traveling on the interstate in the left lane during rush hour traffic, the gas pedal stuck and would not accelerate any longer. Caused other cars to suddenly slow while trying to get off to the ramp. The pedal would not release for approximately 10 minutes. Then after traveling maybe 20 yards, the pedal stuck again for another 5 minutes.

- Oak Grove, MO, USA

Oct 202009

Escape 4-cyl

During cold weather, the gas pedal will stick and not accelerate or release. It will not release for sometimes up to ten minutes. This happens several times over several days in a week during colder months. This has been consistently happening since 2009. The most recent on 11/5/2012.

- Oak Grove, MO, USA