CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

1.1

2005 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 072016

Escape

Bought used the vehicle intermittently would stall, put in neutral it would crank right up and idle fine, until you put in gear and it would stall out, wait awhile and it would run fine, and it might go 2,3 or 4 weeks and not stall. Now it will not go at all, cranks up put it in gear and it is like it is not getting fuel and stalls out. I have had it to some repair shops and they can not find any problem, but I have one mechanic telling me it is the torque converter and might as well redo transmission also. I am disabled and a veteran on a fixed income and depend on my vehicle to take me to my doctor appts, grocery store, church etc. So any help or information on this issue would be greatly appreciated, also I don't know if it makes any difference but my father worked for fmc for 48yrs.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

May 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would sputter, hesitate, and shut off. The check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel system was faulty. The fuel pump and fuel flow indicator and sensors were all replaced, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Hurley, MS, USA

Feb 202016

Escape

Bought my 05 XLT Escape last May 2015 and all of a sudden it started to shudder stall while idling and just completely die when I was driving on the highway! got the codes read and it said I had a misfire on cylinder 2, so I put new coils and spark plugs in it but it's still not working! still doing a misfire and it's running bad when it decides to crank up! now it's not even drivable.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Nov 152015

Escape

Drove from Washington state to Utah on family vacation 14nov15. Filled up with gas in boise, I.D. and 1 mile into that drive felt a surge and then slight loss of power driving at 70mph. Then it was fine. When we got into spanish fork, ut. We had a loss of power when we came off the high way and contacted our friend who's dad owns his own mechanic shop K&K auto in spanish fork, ut. He got the codes cleared and said the codes were not making any sense as to the possible loss in power. The vehicle ran real good after getting codes cleared. The next morning we headed out on I15 on our trip to our vacation destination and it did it again as we got on the high way, I use an injector cleaner in case that was the problem as my friends dad had suggested. We got to fillmore, ut. And we loss total power and steering control. We coasted off onto an exit ramp there we were about to pass when it happened. Had our vehicle towed to the only mechanic opened at the time on a Saturday afternoon. He said the same thing about the codes. Then he said we had a bad catalack-converter. We had it towed back to our friends dads shop an hour and a half North. The next day he said he thinks it may be the coils but the codes say all of them. So we had him take it to Ford in provo, ut while we rented a car and had some of our vacation, most of it we missed spending days waiting on a word from Ford service after we got in from our couple of days we did get in of our vacation. We thought they were going to do the work while we were gone, but no. Now we are home after paying $730.- for injectors and a new coil. (I thought) they still have our vehicle in the bay getting new catalack converters put on(both) and is an additional $1900.- plus to make it worse they called today and said all the coils have to be replaced. I thought that was done, apparently not, and this is not rare for 2005 Escapes, oh.

- West Richland, WA, USA

Oct 182015

• 1,650,000 miles
When driving car shuts off. Car starts in park when put in gear shuts off. Driving on highway when slowed down in traffic car shut off, and would would start in park but shut off when put in gear

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Dec 232014

Escape

The accelerator pedal will not go down/forward at first (once lasted about 45 minutes) on cold mornings. Why hasn't this year/make/model been recalled like 2006? I've been late for work several times because of this. I love the car otherwise.

- Milton, FL, USA

Jun 202015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. After driving over a bump, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the rear shock towers were rusted. In addition, the contact stated that a fuel odor emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Sep 152014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 70 mph, an unknown warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

May 052012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

First occurrence of problem: 48800 miles, 5/2012. Engine light on and engine misfiring. Ford dealership determined faulty ignition coil in # 6 cylinder. Replaced ignition coil and spark plug. $295 second occurrence of problem: 74,400 miles, 11/2013. Engine light on and engine misfiring. Mechanic replaced sparkplugs in cylinders # 1-3 all at once since it is difficult to access those. $276 additional occurrences of same problem: Upon misfiring in 2014 I bought a code reader which indicated cylinder #5 misfire - replaced ignition coil and spark plug. More misfiring indicated cylinder #4 misfire - replaced ignition foil and spark plug. Major problem update. 2/2/2015 - travelling 55 mph car shuts off, all warning lights come on, coast to shoulder. Restart car, seems fine, no warning lights. Again cylinder # 4 misfiring - replaced spark plug. My research indicates the ECM/PCM may be damaged and that this is a very frequent problem with this car, often manifesting after the warranty expires/recall mileage, and costs $2000-$3000 or more. I don't wan't to pay to have it fixed because many people have had the PCM fried multiple times but I'm scared it will shut down while driving again and think this should be covered by a recall. Many people are having this problem and it appears to be caused by Ford engineering. Please help force a recall or provide me with information for a class action lawsuit.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Jan 052015

Escape

Vehicles gas pedal gets stuck up and cannot be depressed at all while car is on and I am driving. It happened this week several times on very cold days. While driving or while stopped at light and trying to go I cannot depressed the pedal, even when pushing hard. Eventually it depressed for me after several tries. Vehicle gas pedal has also gotten stuck down twice previously with car accelerating uncontrollably, which happened for almost a minute then it popped up - resulted in near collision { thank goodness its a manual transmission]. I have read in many on-line discussion boards of many other individuals having their gas pedal on Ford Escapes stick up or down also.

- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, , AS, USA

Dec 042012

Escape 6-cyl

After totaling a 2004 Escape, I purchased another 2005 Escape because I loved it. Well not so much anymore. I bought the vehicle from a dealership in September 2012. Only three short months later I started having the exact same problem I am reading in all complaints. I tried to push on the gas and nothing. It was misfiring bad. I then took it too a shop and they told me coils 1, 3, and 5 were out and needed to be replaced. The dealership wanted close too $2,000 to repair it. I was furious because I had bought my 2004 from the same dealership and my family alone had purchased a total of 6 vehicles from the dealership. I was a loyal customer and was not going to pay to have it fixed. So they split the cost of $1000 with me. Now it is acting up again and I've replaced the fuel filter and the thermostat bc that's what the computer said only for it to still not be running. I am a single mother, college student, and server and it's 2 days before christmas so I am very disappointed! fix the problem Ford!!

- Seminole, FL, USA

Oct 112014

Escape

Gas pedal sticks, especially in cold weather.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jul 222014

Escape

Driving hm from wk, 5fwy car stall coast to the side called aaa to be towed to EF1 motorsports Inc. I was informed that this was a manufacture problem for this year SUV 2005. The wrong computer system was installed the cost to repair $1443.06. I would like a refund.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Oct 232013

Escape

Several months ago I purchased this vehicle used. It had only about 70,000 miles on it. I am the second owner have filled it with gas several times and have noticed that we cannot keep the nozzle on full because the gas backs up in the filler tube and the fuel nozzle shuts-off. Sometimes we can't even put it on the automatic low. We must sit there and keep squeezing the nozzle until it shuts off, and then squeeze the handle again, and again, and again. I did some research and found a technical service bulletin (tsb) on this problem. The problem is that Ford incorrectly designed the filler tube. Apparently it is too narrow. So now they have a redesigned tube that is larger in diameter. But since this car is not under warranty, Ford won't fix it, and this ain't some easy inexpensive fix...it costs over $800 to do it. You got to drop the tank. The new correct part costs $300, and the labor is about $500. What you NHTSA folks don't seem to realize is that is potentially serious problem that could allow consumers to be splashed with gasoline if the fuel nozzle shut-off system fails, because fuel shut-off system fails all the time. I have personally witnessed this several times...with gas overflowing other peoples cars. This is why people must remain at the car while filling it...these automatic nozzles fail all the time. This fuel filling system issue is a potentially serious safety problem, consumers must not be required to rely on other safety systems, because those systems will fail. Ford designed a defective fuel filler system, and NHTSA must make Ford fix them, at Ford's expense' if NHTSA is unwilling to protect the public from unreasonable risk...then what good are they? anything that potentially involves consumers getting splashed with gasoline is a serious safety hazard period.

- Mt. Airy, MD, USA

Dec 302010

Escape 4-cyl

When the weather is cold, the gas pedal sticks when you try to accelerate from standing still. When it does kick in the car jumps and could cause an accident. I have looked this up and it seems to be a recurring problem, however, Ford has stated that it is based on VIN and March - April of 2004 was a problem but June 04 (my man date?) was not. This has happened repeatedly since about a year or two after I got the car. It appears to be a carbon build up problem, however, it is ridiculous to have to go in once a month to have it cleaned.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Getting code P0191 and P0193 all refer to fuel rail pressure sensor, making the car cut on fuel and lose speed and make you stop no mater if you are running in the freeway or high way, it's creating a hazard to other drivers to crash on you when this happen. Replace the fuel rail pressure sensor twice this month and problem stop for a while and then is back again some refer a bad gas pump system but that is not problem also it happen when car accelerate gas cut off and stop. I ask other Ford Escape and F150 truck owners and they have the same sensor replace even mechanics and local car sale part, told me they been selling the same sensor pressure. I run a circuit test to my old sensor and my new one and I come up with bad results test with power across the sensors connectors. One of the thing I don't like about Ford repairs is, they are trying to make you paid much money for code readings, parts and labor. This is a priority case that need to be addressee until some one get hurt on road for a simple defecting part.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Dec 112012

Escape

Several times, the accelerator pedal would stick to the point that I could stand on it and it would not budge. It happens most frequently in colder weather but the temperature of the car has no effect. There is no real pattern to when it won't work. Ford recommended replacing the throttle body, however after researching, the throttle body is not something that is normally replaced at this mileage.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 302012

Escape 4-cyl

Son was driving vehicle when gas pedal stuck and would not go down--he pushed pedal down with all his strength but it would not move.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Oct 062012

Escape

The accelerator pedal is very difficult to press and sometimes cannot be pressed down at all.

- Atkins, IA, USA

Aug 012010

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the fuel tank filler neck was corroded which cause the driver rear wheel well to corrode as well. The contact was concerned that the fuel tank malfunction as a result, of the corrosion. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 79,000. Updated 09/19/12 updated 09/19/2012

- Chesterland , OH, USA