CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 152015

Escape

Passenger side rear wheel well (hidden area only) rusted out at the shock mount causing the shock to punch into the interior. Expensive repair. Sad part is that the rest of the vehicle is in very good shape, never suspected such a rusting issue like that. I see it is a common flaw of this vehicle. Poor engineering of a critical mounting point. Fortunately no injuries in this case, but could easily have caused panic resulting in an serious accident. Very surprised this is not a Ford recall item with an available manufactured reinforcing part.

- Summerhill, PA, USA

May 292015

Escape

We recently purchased a 2005 Ford Escape. The car was working perfectly. On 5/29/15 we noticed a sound coming from the right rear wheel well. We parked and looked at the car and found the entire wheel well has rusted out so much so that the the shock mount and actual shock has separated from the car. There is now a hole where we can see through the car into the cargo area. The car is unsafe to drive and we are at a loss as to how to repair it. Many other people have had this same problem (only with the right rear wheel well, the left is perfectly fine). Ford has not offered any assistance to anyone and has in fact refused to acknowledge that it could be any kind of defect.

- Walpole, MA, USA

May 262015

Escape

The right rear fender wheel well has rusted through also affecting the shock mount creating a loud banging in the cabin. My local Ford dealer has never seen this and did not want to attempt the repair because of the cost. They also referred me to a reputable body shop in town and he also never saw this before. He suggested this website to file a complaint. I have now researched this and see a lot of other people have experienced this too. Has Ford done anything to fix this problem?

- Bayport, MN, USA

May 042009

Escape

The driver's front door began causing problems. Occasionally, it does not open, period. Additionally, the lock mechanism is inoperable. I removed both driver's and passenger's front door panels to inspect, compare and finally determine the issue. There seems to be a problem, which a friend temporarily fixed. It--the exterior door handle--after tweeking, worked for a while. Fast forward, 2015, I cannot open nearly 3 of my doors. One will not open at all (rear pass.) the driver's front door is doing the same thing the rear door handle--it lost tension and won't open at all. After looking it up on youtube, I determined the locking system is the culprit. In order to repair this inoperable door handle situation, apparently I need to pull the interior panels, remove the exterior handles and replace them entirely. Currently, I have the driver's door panel removed because in the event the handle doesn't work at all, I'd have to climb over from the passenger side just to drive my 2005 Ford Escape.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Mar 022015

Escape

According to your list of recalls there is a compliance recall for the roof the my Escape and a door latch. I called Ford and they state it's not on my car even though it is listed, I have a door ajar light that's stays on and doesn't allow me to lock my car because the alarm goes off. I was told that there are Escapes with the proper VIN number with that recall. They took my information and told me if I pay for it to be repaired and there is a recall at some point that I would be reimbursed. Couldn't it be possible that the part was installed that's is faulty? I just wanted to vent and let your site known of this problem. Thank you.

- Jeanerette, LA, USA

May 092015

Escape

Excessive rust in the passenger rear wheel well (only on passenger side); completely broke away from the frame and is hanging by just the spring. Unsafe to drive. Ford recalled for this issue on 2001-2004 models and did not recall 2005 model, which they should have just by researching there have been many with this exact same problem. The assembly line on the passengers side did not coat the wheel well properly.

- Elmira Heights , NY, USA

Aug 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The rear right upper shock mount felt off so there is no where we can put the shock. Therefore, it has a big hole on the fender well that you can see the inside this is something that should not had happen plus on the left side you can see rust cracks in the fender well and continues to the upper shock mount. I think this is something that the company has to address and fixed it because it is a safety issue.

- Genoa, IL, USA

Dec 312014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

We noticed a rattling/banging noise coming from the right rear of vehicle, my wife rode in the rear seat and could feel the shock mount hitting against the back of the interior trim panel. Looking into the wheel well, we could see where the wheel housing had completely rusted out, revealing the interior. The upper shock mount can be wiggled by hand. Today 12/31/2014, I went to see my "friends" at our local Ford dealership, the service writer said I was in "luck" as he remembered researching the same issue for another customer. He found a diagram with the replacement panel & wheel house, part# 7L82-7827886-a, with a list price of $150, then we went to talk to another "friend" in parts, he said that the price had recently increased and now listed at $700. They offered to have me talk to another "friend" in sales, but I informed them my wife refused to buy another Ford, and if we were to buy a new vehicle it would be a Toyota. With that said, my "friends" suggested to unload (trade) it at a Toyota dealer. They also informed me our 2005 Ford Escape was "unsafe" to drive. I went to our local body shop to get his recommendation. He said, they had just done one, in 10/2014 for just under $900 and he got the part from my "friends" at the dealership for $120. In apparent disbelief he called our "friends" and they confirmed the price increase. We searched online and found many 7L82-7827886-a for $20-$180, after ordering from several different vendors, each vendor cancelled the orders for various reasons; unavailable, part number change and is more expensive, due to the size and fragile nature we are unable to ship, not available, etc. What is Ford's objective with this price increase " ? " there was clearly a defect in manufacturing, craftsmanship, and/or materials, that created this severe defect in safety of the 2005 Ford Escape ! ! !

- Poynette, WI, USA

Mar 242014

Escape

The entire shock tower on the rear passenger side had rusted out. The shock has nothing to hold on to. I am told the vehicle is unsafe to drive. On line there are a number of complaints of the same problem with the 2005 Ford Escape. I think this widespread problem should be investigated immediately.

- Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Mar 182014

Escape 4-cyl

Driving under normal conditions, heard a loud banging sound.was getting worse and looked at rear passenger tire side. Noticed the entire shock mount rusted and broken loose from undercarriage. Very dangerous if traveling at higher speed. Have owned over 20 cars and never had this happen. What is going on Ford"??"

- Stow, OH, USA

Dec 012011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The paint is separating on the hood and the roof of the vehicle.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Apr 042011

Escape

E.C.M. went out, and in my research to find a remanufactured brain I discovered alot of complaints about this part. I also found out that the part for my car is not available as remanufactured. My car is a 2005 Ford Escape sport. The cost for this part is very expensive...

- Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 232011

Escape

Driving down the road at approx. 45 mph, I hear a loud pop, and the rear window exploded. Nothing hit it, wiper was not on, rear defrost had turned off about 5 minutes prior. Luckily all of the glass, and I mean all because the entire rear window is gone, was either in the back of the truck or on the bumper. Now I am out almost $300 plus for what reason? then I see I am not the first this has happened to. I don't know if other rear window components need replaced yet as I am still waiting to get the window replaced.

- Benton, PA, USA

Jan 202010

Escape

The problem is when driving 2005 Ford Escape the engine cuts out. When driving on interstate 5 at 60 mph the engine will shut off and then start back up. The theft light lights up when this happens. Also, at any speeds the engine will cut out. Example is when at stop sign at intersection or cross street, while in drive and proceeding across intersection the cars engine and all electrical will turn off. I will then have to shift car into neutral and restart car and then shift into drive and proceed across intersection hopefully without getting hit from other cars. This has happened with a car full of grandchildren on several occasions. The cars engine cut out happens at greater occurrences when driving up inclines.

- Aberdeen, WA, USA

Feb 012011

Escape

It feels like a brick is underneath the accelerator pedal. No matter how hard I push down, the pedal doesn't budge. Then without reason the pedal works again. At first it would happen when I shift to third gear and I would be in the flow of traffic and not often, maybe once every 7-8 months. Now it has occurred everyday once a day the last three days. One time backing up. The accelerator pedal will not engage.

- Fpo, AE, USA

Feb 062011

Escape

The rear hatch window of our 2005 Ford Escape SUV exploded while parked in our garage. We heard a loud boom, then the sound of glass shattering. We discovered the rear auto-safety glass had blown out and was everywhere, covering a two garage bay area. It was 3:30am and no one was in or near the vehicle at the time.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Escape

While the 2005 Ford Escape was being driven on a four-lane road, the gas pedal stopped working. The car was going downhill and the driver steered it into a parking lot. There, on closer inspection under the dashboard, it was evident that the throttle cable had failed where it connects to the top of the articulating arm of the gas-pedal: Depressing the pedal did not pull the cable; the cable end protruded through a little tube at the top of the arm, but was not attached to the articulating arm. The arm moved freely without engaging the cable. This failure had resulted in sudden and complete inability to accelerate -- no throttle. Under certain driving conditions (e.g. merging onto a highway or crossing a busy intersection where cross-traffic is not required to stop at a stop sign or a red light) this system failure has a high chance of resulting in injury or death. In the parking lot, the owner attached a pair of needle-nose vise-grip pliers to the end of the cable at the top of the articulating arm of the gas pedal, as a temporary fix, and drove the car to the Ford dealership about a mile away. After inspecting the car, the Ford dealership service department ascribed the failure to "throttle body binding" and advised complete replacement of throttle body assembly and cable.

Apr 012010

Escape

My 2005 Ford Escape has a problem with the accelerator sticking. It used to only stick in cold weather right when I started the car, but now it does it regardless of temperature, and even while driving. I went from having this problem maybe once every three months (approx 3 years ago was the first occurrence), to it happening almost every time I drive the car. When it sticks, I cannot accelerate at all. I will use both feet to try and depress the gas, but it is like pushing against a wall. Sometimes simply restarting the car fixes it, but I was stuck in the middle of an intersection yesterday when it froze up half-way through the turn. I had to be pushed to the shoulder. Luckily there was not too much oncoming traffic that would have risked an accident. I have looked this up online, and many other Escape owners discuss this very same problem. I called the Ford dealership, and they said that this is not a recall, but it very much should be. I am taking it in to be looked at, and hopefully they can fix it, but this is obviously a manufacturer defect if so many other owners are having the same issue. Ford does not want the same reputation as Toyota right now, and they should do something about it proactively. The Escape is a mid-size SUV that many families own. By the time a mother and her two children are killed simply turning across a street, it will be too late.

- Lansing, KS, USA