Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 012010

My 2005 Ford Escape has a problem with the accelerator sticking. It used to only stick in cold weather right when I started the car, but now it does it regardless of temperature, and even while driving. I went from having this problem maybe once every three months (approx 3 years ago was the first occurrence), to it happening almost every time I drive the car. When it sticks, I cannot accelerate at all. I will use both feet to try and depress the gas, but it is like pushing against a wall. Sometimes simply restarting the car fixes it, but I was stuck in the middle of an intersection yesterday when it froze up half-way through the turn. I had to be pushed to the shoulder. Luckily there was not too much oncoming traffic that would have risked an accident. I have looked this up online, and many other Escape owners discuss this very same problem. I called the Ford dealership, and they said that this is not a recall, but it very much should be. I am taking it in to be looked at, and hopefully they can fix it, but this is obviously a manufacturer defect if so many other owners are having the same issue. Ford does not want the same reputation as Toyota right now, and they should do something about it proactively. The Escape is a mid-size SUV that many families own. By the time a mother and her two children are killed simply turning across a street, it will be too late.

- Lansing, KS, USA

Jan 032010

I am wondering will there be any recalls on other cars other than Toyota related to gas pedals sticking? my Ford Escape's gas pedal would get stuck and after taking it to my local dealer they said it was the throttle body assembly that needed to be replaced. I had to wait 2 weeks for the part to come in from china. Is there any relationship between what is going on with Toyota and my problem I had with Ford. This was a safety issue that is being overlooked by Ford.

- Tallahassee, FM, USA