CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 13 of 19)

Feb 032014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger's side rear wheel well was severely rusted. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger's side wheel well would need to be replaced. The vehicle was scheduled for further inspection and repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Mar 202014

Escape 6-cyl

My wife had been complaining about a loud slapping coming from the right rear of the vehicle. I took it for a drive. I discovered that the passenger side rear wheel well is completely rusted out and the shock absorber was just bouncing loose creating a horrible noise and also noticed shock breaking thru the interior of the vehicle. Noticed on line that others have similar or exact problem. Years 2001 thru 2004 just recalled. What about 2005's. there's nothing else wrong with the vehicle and only 82,000 miles. Very disappointed and puts my family at risk and in a bind for a safe vehicle to drive.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Mar 272014

Escape

Right rear shock mount came apart and damaged wheel well. Upon further inspection dealer said entire assembly had rusted apart from the inside out with no visible corrosion from the outside of vehicle. Ford Motor Company was contacted and offered no recourse or repair.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jan 062014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear shock tower rusted through the wheel well into the rear compartment breaking a hole through the interior compartment. There is currently no parts in stock to repair this as we are told they are on nationwide backorder and this is a huge safety issue. The other rear shock area has a significant amount of rust also. Approximately 1 week later both break lines broke from severe corrosion while moving at approximately 10 mph (pulling in my driveway). I was fortunate this happened there and not on the highway as I could have been in a very serious accident along with my 3 year old son. These two things should not be happening with the age of this vehicle. The body should be holding up better than this. I just saw there was a recall for model years 2001-2004 for severe rust issues one resulting in a crash. The manufacturing date of my vehicle is 09/2004.

- Escanaba, MI, USA

Mar 052014

Escape

Driving along and a load bang sounded from right passenger rear. Shock housing rusted through and shock broke loose. The banging sound is very load inside the vehicle and sounds as if the rear passenger area is just going to fall apart! it is rusted through and it shouldn't be if it was undercoated properly. Ford should take responsibility and make the repairs! I carry my grandchildren in this vehicle and am not in a position to replace it!

- Varysburg, NY, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

While performing brake and wheel inspection for noise we see severe sub-frame rust issue on our 2005 Ford Escape XLT. Please advise.

- Greenwood Lake, NY, USA

Apr 032014

Escape

While driving at 35 mph on uneven pavement, I noticed banging in the right rear area of the vehicle. All doors and hatch were secure and the jack wasnt loose. After a day or two of searching I took the Escape to a local auto repair shop I trust. They found the whole inner quarter wheel house snapped off the rail. The banging was the shock hitting inside the passenger cabin. He immediately took my keys and said the car is undrivable. Online if you google this same issue it is a common problem with the 2005 Escape model rusting please Ford do the right thing and recall and repair my 2005 Ford Escape.

- Milford, OH, USA

Dec 022013

Escape 4-cyl

I noticed the smell of exhaust fumes in the vehicle and a few weeks later heard load banging noise coming from rear cargo area. I look and saw the rear wheel well was rusted threw into the cargo area and the rear shock mounts were rusted off.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Feb 132013

Escape 4-cyl

The rear end rusted out on my 2005 Ford Escape with only 120000miles on it. Sent pictures to Ford they said by have not seen this issue in the past.

- Imlay City, MI, USA

Mar 202014

Escape 4-cyl

The left rear shock mount rusted and pushed up into the inside rear cargo area. Gas filler tube mount broke also.

- Lyons, NY, USA

Feb 192014

Escape

I was driving and I heard this loud banging. I looked at my wheel well and it was all rusted out and my shock is coming up now through my rear panel. I have looked at all the wheel wells and the other are not rusted at all but this one is. It is unsafe to drive it now because when up to speed and you hit a bump the all rear end pulls sometimes almost into another lane.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Apr 052014

Escape

The rear passenger shock tower on my 2005 Ford Escape is rusted through. My shock is rattling around, bound to make it's way into the interior of my car.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Escape

Right rear wheel house is rusted so bad the shock is about to come loose and cause loss of control or could rub the tire and cause it to rupture. I have been advised by a mechanic that it is unsafe to drive.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Escape

The right passenger rear wheel well rusted out. Noticed a thumping sound driving at 35mph. Took everything out of the back and tested further. Still noticed the sound at different speeds and road conditions. A few days later noticed the rear wheel rusted out and the shock had detached. Stopped at Liberty Ford, brunswick, oh and they did not even examine it. Service area said they have never heard of this. Called ganley Ford West cleveland, oh and they reported this is becoming a problem. Referred me to their body shop. Approx cost $1,200. Called some other shops locally and was advised "trade it, not worth fixing, or $2,500." Was able to get repaired for $435 after further research.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Mar 292014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear body panel in the wheel well completely rusted through causing the top of the shock to detach from the body and almost penetrate into the inside of the passenger cabin.

- Petersburg, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Escape

Original owner of a garage kept, 2005 Ford Escape with 105K miles. I noticed a loud banging sound coming from the right rear wheel well which was very loud inside the car. I had the service tech replacing the tires on my other Ford vehicle take a look and he said the wheel well was rusting away and the shock mount was falling away from the frame of the car. This is a serious and dangerous hazard which needs to be fixed asap. Every service tech I show says they've never seen anything like it. The undercoating was sprayed directly on to the vehicle and no other method of protection in the wheel well was used by Ford on this make/model. My vehicle was top of the line, loaded, when purchased. I'm concerned for the safety of my family and myself. Ford needs to address this problem asap and take responsibility for the poor design.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Mar 192014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, a sudden bang was heard from the rear end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear wheel housing panel was perforated due to rust and needed to be replaced. The manufacture was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 86,000.

- Crown Point , IN, USA

Mar 242014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving begin to experience a loud rattling sound, from the rear passenger side. Became very loud with the movement of the vehicle. Sounded as if small pieces had fallen off the back tire. As soon as I got home I looked and there was a large rusted out tear in the wheel well, located right above the mount for the shock absorber. I did contact my service advisor at village Ford in dearborn Michigan. I took the vehicle up to be checked, he sent me over to their body shop.. I was told this was definitely a "safety issue" and he had seen this before on other Ford Escapes. This is a flaw in the body.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Mar 242014

Escape 4-cyl

I was hearing a bad clunking noise from the back so I took it to a certified mechanic and he looked and said he has never seen anything like it my entire wheel well is rusted through - he wont even touch it - he said it is extremely unsafe and told me its gotta be a recall being that its an 05 because vehicles aren't made to rust like that - so I call Ford and they say "nothing we can do for you and your complaint has been noted" well im on disability with children so I cant afford thousands of dollars in repairs nor can I go without a vehicle or drive my kids in an unsafe vehicle, I just lost my husband and I just don't know what to do - Ford rep didn't even give me a glimpse of care - does someone have to die in one of their poorly constructed vehicles before anyone will do anything - come on back up your products - and then people wonder why people buy foreign.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Mar 132014

Escape 6-cyl

The passenger rear wheel well has excessive rust which has caused the shock to come through the inside of the vehicle. I have researched this problem and it appears that others with the same model have had the same issue. I do have pictures.

- Hinsdale, NY, USA