CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 14 of 19)

Jan 242014

Escape 6-cyl

I heard a sound in the rear which was like the metal touching. My boyfriend said it sounded like the shocks going. I took to the garage to have inspected and they refused to and showed me the inner wheel wells. They were rusted on both rear sides. The vehicle body was separated. I took it to an auto body repair shop and they can fix it but we can't find the repair parts. I put the numbers for the parts in the Ford.com and apparently the numbers do not match what they have. This is disappointing to me, I do not have a job, do not have the money to purchase another vehicle, but I do have the resources to get it fixed. I also sent an E-mail to Ford but haven't heard anything as of yet. Thank you

- Lewis Run, PA, USA

Mar 152014

Escape 6-cyl

Severe rust out of right rear wheel well, top of shock absorber mount rusted free from the car. Appears to be a major safety issue that the rear suspension could come down onto the tire or loose control of the rear of car while driving. After checking online to see if anyone else may have a similar issue I find hundreds of same problems. We have maintained this car with service and cleaning above and beyond normal and this has happened. I feel this is a manufacture flaw and should be taken care of by Ford Motor Company.

- Pioneer, OH, USA

Mar 102014

Escape 6-cyl

It started off as light rattling from the rear passenger side wheel area. As the week progressed, the rattling got louder and louder and occurred more frequently. At that point, my daughter was afraid to drive the vehicle. When we inspected the area where the noise came from, we noticed that the inside of the wheel well was thoroughly rusted out and we could see through it, into the interior of the car. Also, the shock was no longer attached to the frame. The damage is so extensive that we are afraid to drive the vehicle to a repair shop.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Mar 032014

Escape 4-cyl

Driving to/from work, I started noticing a slight creaking noise coming from the rear passenger side of my 2005 Ford Escape. After a day or so, it became a loud thumping. Upon inspection, I discovered the wheel well & shock mount were disintegrating and the shock was no longer connected to the vehicle. There are holes so large you can see into the trunk. After doing a little research, I learned this is a common problem yet Ford has not issued a recall nor are they offering any kind of reimbursement for the repair. Needless to say, this is very disappointing. This is my first - and most definitely last - Ford.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Feb 012014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Ford Escape and started hearing a loud banging noise from the rear passenger side of the car. After I found out what the problem was a few days later I haven't drove it since. The rear passenger side fender well/ wheel well was completely rusted away, the shock mount was not even connected to the wheel well. Its unsafe to drive and there are hundreds of thousands of people who are having the same problem with the 04,05, and 06 Escape. There is no recall on it yet and Ford knows about the problem so I've read and are doing nothing about it. Insurance will not cover this flaw from Ford.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 302014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving at moderate speed on residential roadway, a loud rattling sound was heard coming from the rear passenger wheel well and rear trunk area. After closer inspection of the wheel well it was observed that the portion of the vehicle where the rear passenger shock absorber was mounted to the vehicle had completely rusted through. Rather than been designed to mount to the frame of the vehicle it appears that it was designed to attach to the sheet metal wheel well. Due to the complete rust-through of the wheel well the rear passenger upper shock mount had become completely detached from the vehicle and anytime the vehicle went over the smallest bump or crack in the road, a loud banging would occur as the unattached shock would impact against the vehicle wheel well.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Feb 072014

Escape

I have a 2005 Ford Escape that got a severe shock damage to the right rear wheel well. There is so much damage from the rust, inside the insulation, that the shocks are no longer attached to the frame and continually Ram into the interior panels. I purchased this car new in 2005. All other wheel wells are in great condition as well as the car. This is a clear manufacturer problem. This is a major safety issue. If the shock would have came off while I was driving at 60mph and hit the road or something under the vehicle it could have caused a major accident and people could have been injured. There should be a recall issued for it.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jan 292014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, a sudden banging noise was heard from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the rear passenger's side wheel housing panel was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the rear wheel housing panel was perforated due to rust and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Collins, OH, USA

Feb 262014

Escape 6-cyl

I have an 05 Escape that has severe rust damage to the right rear wheel well. There is so much damage from the rust that the shocks are no longer attached and continually Ram into the interior panels. All other wheel wells are in great condition. From what I have read this is an extremely common problem (so much so that there is a facebook group and a message board on Ford forums) the models effected Ford models 2004-2006. Serious consideration should be put into recalling them. www.fordforums.com/F59/2005-Escape-shock-mount-rusted-out-177762/ https://www.facebook.com/pages/2005-Ford-Escape-2004-2006/397923900236108.

- Tinely Park, IL, USA

Feb 202014

Escape 6-cyl

On 2/20/14 I was traveling 65 mph on state route 219 in boston, NY, when a loud banging noise suddenly began to occur in the rear of my vehicle. This noise scared me and forced me to pull over on the shoulder of the expressway to inspect the rear area of my vehicle (while traffic continued at 65 mph). I could not see anything at that time so I slowly and cautiously drove my vehicle home. Upon further inspection, my husband found that the right rear(passenger) side rear shock had become totally detached from the completely rusted out inner wheel well and was protruding into the inside of my vehicle. Excessive rust could be seen along with several holes that had once been part of the wheel well. My vehicle is unable to be driven and is too costly to fix. After doing some research, I found that I am not the only owner of 2005 Ford Escape with this issue. This needs to be a recall! fortunately, this defect did not cause a serious accident because this is an integral component of my vehicles suspension. This 'defect' needs to be rectified before someone dies or becomes seriously injured.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Feb 012014

Escape

Entire wheel well rusted out and disintegrated. Section is gone and shock came through the interior.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Feb 212014

Escape

Noticed a rattling sound on the right rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection, found most of the rear wheel well where the shock absorber mounts to be rusted, and parts of the metal actually gone. The top of the right rear shock is basically not attached to any structure, as the metal around the mount has completed rusted. Could see the backside of the vehicle interior where the metal has rusted away.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 192014

Escape

Noticed a loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle while traveling on a rural road about 50 mph. When arrived at destination, noticed severe rust in wheel well near shock mount and through to storage compartment. Online research indicates that this problem is common and that Ford is aware of the problem but not doing anything for owners yet.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Feb 102014

Escape 6-cyl

I went to Ford for service, and they found that the right rear shock tower where mounted to wheelhouse was rotted away. Only rusted on right side. This is a very dangerous situation as if the part lets loose, the car body will sag and a crash will occur. I have taken to body shop and the cost is estimated to be $1500 or better. There are no re-calls on this safety issue, and calls to Ford are answered "sorry there is nothing we can do". they seem to not give a care if people are injured and maimed from this flaw in manufacture. The body shop told me today that the wheelhouse part is on national backorder, and that there are 500+ orders waiting for these parts. Ford notes that their supplier is waiting for parts to manufacture these replacement parts. My car is severe and can't be operated. I do not know what to do next. Guess the first thing is finding someone who cares. I also think that this should be addressed before a serious crash occurs. I have been in law enforcement for 30+ years and would like to do something quick to save lives and injury. Please advise if you can help.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Feb 082014

Escape 6-cyl

This is for a Ford 2005 Escape. The SUV's passenger rear shock where attached to the wheel well is rusted. The wheel well is rusted out around the the area that the shock attaches to. In reading the Ford forum, there are a lot of complaints on this year Ford Escape. I have also contacted Ford on this and they do not see any issues.

- Willowick, OH, USA

Feb 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I had been hearing rattling from the rear passenger side for about 3 weeks. On around January 28th I was driving home from work and heard a loud noise. I later discovered a large crack and hole on the inside passenger panel. After further inspection I discovered the passenger side rear wheel well had a whole section missing and the shock I can move with my hand. After doing some research online I have discovered that several 2004/2005 Escapes have had the same issue. This is clearly a defect. It needs to be addressed and a recall needs to be done.

- Milford, MI, USA

Jan 292014

Escape

The passenger side rear panel when the shock attaches to the under part has completely rushed away. We were told that there is over thousands of vehicle that have been affected. We took the vehicle to the Ford collision shop and was told that they have not even started to do anything about this, he started that he has seen several vehicle come into the shop that are Ford Escape that the whole back under suspension has completely rushed out.

- Irving, NY, USA

Feb 062014

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, a sudden banging noise was heard from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the rear passenger's side wheel housing panel was rusted and caused the shock absorber to become detached from the vehicle. The contact indicated that the vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 77,000. Uupdated 07/08/14

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Escape

Like many others, the rear passenger wheel well is rusted out so significantly that the strut mount is almost completely detached. This is very unsafe and difficult to detect until it's too late. It's obvious from speaking with body shops and Ford reps that this is a well known issue. I can't reiterate enough that this is dangerous because of 1) the suspension can collapse onto the tire and 2) it's difficult to identify until the strut mount collapses.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Feb 062014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

This is a 2005 Ford Escape with the same problem reported by hundreds of other people on facebook, Ford forums, this agencies own website etc. The rear right inner wheel well has totally disintegrated leaving the top of the shock absorber unconnected to anything. Ford have not carried out a recall for this dangerous situation though apparently the parts involved were modified on newer vehicles to prevent this happening. The problem appears worse in northern states with bad winters where salty water becomes trapped inside the waterproofing sealant and the wheel well accelerating the rusting process. Updated 04/16/14

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA