CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 15 of 19)

Jan 282014

Escape

I am here to write an incident about my my right rear suspension breaking away from the strut tower support bracket. It was all rusted out. The left side of the car is fine. I have seen quite a lot of these same problems on the internet. When we took our car in to the Ford dealership they called it a catastrophic failure. Car was unsafe too drive. We feel this is a safety concern for owners of this vehicle and, the public.

- Memphis, MI, USA

Jan 312014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, a loud noise emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic, who advised that the rear passenger side wheel was corroded. As a result, the housing and rear shocks were corroded and separated from the wheel. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 132,000.

- Twinsburg , OH, USA

Jan 272014

Escape 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Ford Escape 87,00 miles, garage kept. I bought it new from the Ford dealer. So I hear a loud banging noise and take it into a shop to get checked out. Shop calls me in awe" he said that right side inter fender wheel well and shock tower has completely rusted away and is no longer connected to the vehicle?he also said you can see to the inside of the vehicle. He said in all his years, hes never seen anything like it. He said that a 1990 car should not have this damage. So I start to google and low and behold hundreds of complaints of the same thing. It seems to be a major issue with 2004, 2005 and some 2006 Ford Escape models and Ford will not recall or make good on their poor craftsmanship. I contacted the dealer where I bought my vehicle and spoke to a repair manager who said he will call me back"so after a few hours (he googled himself), he calls and says tough luck"have a nice day. There are all kinds of pictures on the net that look like my car".I took my own pictures but this is appalling and Ford needs to be help accountable. This is a structure problem and very dangerous. I will probably have a hard time finding someone to even attempt to repair this as the don't want the liability (especially seeing I have 2 car seats in my vehicle.)

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Jan 292014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated the rear fender wheel well exhibited excessive rust. The contact took the vehicle to local mechanic, who stated that the vehicle was not safe to drive due to the rear wheel not being secured and could become detached from the vehicle while driving. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- South Field, MI, USA

Jan 232014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph over a road bump, a loud rattling noise was heard from the rear exterior passenger's side. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the contact noticed that the rear shock was completely detached and the brake line had ruptured. A certified mechanic inspected the vehicle and informed the contact that the shock mount and wheel house assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jan 172014

Escape

Rear passenger side shock tower disconnected to frame. Rusted out fenderwell.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Dec 182013

Escape 6-cyl

The rear passenger side tire-well rusted out. It rusted where the shock is attached. This entire piece rusting caused the shock to no longer be attached to my vehicle. We later discover the accelerated corrosion was from faulty drains in the vehicle. Ford acknowledges the drain problem but will not take responsibility for the expedited rusting. With faulty drains it is only a matter of time before the other tire-well also rusts out. Luckily I discovered the problem when I did, I had been planning on towing a uhaul cross-country two days out. If I had been towing and the shock gave out, the mechanic at the dealership said my vehicle would have started to roll.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 142014

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the passenger's side rear shocks became detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the passenger side wheel housing and shock mounts needed the be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 116,000.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Jan 102014

Escape

My wife and I were driving down the street and hit a bump and heard a very loud noise in the back right rear of the vehcile (rattled very loud). When we got home, I checked all inside the car, nothing was loose, I checked under the check thinking a shock absorber had broken and noticed the passenger side inner wheel well was completely broken through. The following week I took the care to a body shop and the man told me he had seen a lot of this problem on 2005 Ford Escapes where the shock absorber had been hitting on the wheel well until it finally burst through. He further stated that he had only seen it on the passenger side. He checked all the other wheel wells and they are fine.the entire wheel well would have to be replaced and with no guarantee of how long that will hold. He said to get it fixed as soon as possible. There is no rust on the vehicle and this is the only problem we have had with any body/suspension on the car that we have owned since 2006.

- Omahaq, NE, USA

Jan 202014

Escape 6-cyl

Loud banging sound from right rear wheel sounding like loose muffler upon further inspection I found the inner wheel well with the shock mount to be completely rusted away. Trying to get it fixed and no one can put a price on the repair and most body shops are afraid to do it. Called Ford customer service about this very unsafe problem and they don't want nothing to do with it.

- Southington, CT, USA

Jan 182014

Escape

After seeing post from friend that her right rear well on her 2005 Ford Escape was rusted through, it made me go look in the garage at my same vehicle. Upon review I have a large hole into my spare tire tools box. There is significant rusting and cracks in and around the shock as well. Left rear well does not seem to have same issue.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jan 082014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear shocks became detached from the vehicle. The contact was informed that the inner panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- Seven Valleys, PA, USA

Jan 062014

Escape

The rear shock mount went through rusted wheel well and into trunk.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Dec 232013

Escape 6-cyl

Loud thumping noise occurs over any size bump. On inspection repair shop found rear right wheel well rusted out and no mount existing for the shock absorber. No other wheel well has this problem. Definite design flaw that could lead to loss of control.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Dec 172013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and noticed something banging in the back end of the truck. I thought it as the muffler that came loose. To my surprise when I looked underneath the vehicle I found that the rear passenger inner wheel well was totally rusted out. There was only about an inch of metal left. I just purchased this vehicle on October 15th of 2013. I have never seen or heard of such a problem before. I did research on the internet only to find numerous complaints about this same problem. I tried ordering the part from a Ford dealer and they say it is on back order. I can't wait for the part from Ford so the Mazda tribute is the same so I am ordering the part from them. This is my only vehicle so I have to have it running. I have not been able to drive this vehicle since December 17th, 2013. I have to take it to an autobody shop to have this work done. I surely hope this part works because if it doesn't I can not afford to buy another vehicle. I have called Ford and they said there are no recalls on my vehicle, and I also went to there recall website to check for myself and could not find any listed. I am going to file a complaint with the Ford Motor Company but it is probably not going to do any good. Someone needs to file class action law suit against them but then only the lawyers win. Please help me with this problem which seems to be a regular occurrence according to all the complaints.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Dec 262013

Escape

2005 Ford Escape. I have noticed rust on rear fender wells in the past. In summer 2013, I found a hole into the passenger area from the rear passenger side wheel well. Filled hole and attempted to undercoat to prevent additional rust. December 26, 2013, while driving I hit a bump and heard a loud banging noise in back right hand side of the vehicle. Driving became difficult after the bump, so I stopped to investigate the issue. The shock had separated from the uni-body/wheel well due to corrosion. The noise was the shock hitting the plastic interior of the vehicle. I did some research on a replacement panel and I found this is an ongoing issue with the Ford Escape with numerous examples of this same issue. It appears that the right passenger side wheel well of the Ford Escape has a design flaw causing the shock to separate from the uni-body. Driving become difficult during this failure as the vehicle is riding on the spring and the shock is not able to reduce the tire bounce.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Dec 192013

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that after driving over a pothole, the vehicle began to sway and the contact heard a crack. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the passenger rear wheel house panel had separated due to rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Dec 012013

Escape

When I opened the rear hatch on my 2005 Ford Escape I noticed the plastic molding was cracked, after looking at it closer I noticed that the whole right rear shock mount was rusted out ant there was a hole in the top of the wheel well. I have contacted many body shops that say the problem is fixable but do to liability they can not fix it. After researching it online on the Ford forum I found out that this a common problem with this vehicle. One post on the forum says that the engineers of the Escape said it is a design flaw causing the problem but they won't put it in writing for fear of losing their jobs. This is a major safety issue and there should be a recall issued for it. If the shock would have came off while I was driving and hit the road or something under the vehicle it could have caused a accident. I would to know why there is no recall issued for this problem ?

- Plano, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 4-cyl

2005 Ford Escape...the right rear fender well has rusted out around the shock mount, ready or close to breaking free. First body shop wouldn't even quote a repair. Googled issue and found 100's of other owners of 2005's with same condition...photos on facebook matched my cars situation exactly. Why no recall?

- Medina, OH, USA

Nov 222013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, he noticed a loud knocking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the rear passenger's side inner quarter panel and wheel house panel were corroded. The technician also stated that the shock had become completely detached from the frame. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000....updated 01-10-14

- Bloomfield, MI, USA