CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 19)

Jul 202015

Escape

While driving last week I heard a "rattling" I had not heard previously.I pulled over and inspected my wheels and discovered that the rear passenger wheel well above the top of the tire had rusted out.closer inspection revealed that the strut mount had completely separated from the vehicle and the strut had "speared" thru the interior plastic sidewall, thus rendering the vehicle inoperable.I shudder to think what might have happened had I had my child in the car and we were travelling on the highway.upon researching on you tube how to repair this problem, I was astounded to find out that the most common problem related to 2005-06 Ford Escapes, was very specific in stating that the rear-passenger wheel well was rusting and corroding on these particular vehicles, sometimes resulting in the strut to become disengaged.this sounds like a very serious safety issue, but Ford customer relations told me "sorry, but there is no recall for this and that there was nothing they can do for me.as a single dad, military veteran, and low-income earner, I am looking for help for myself and fellow Ford Escape owners because this sounds like shoddy car construction from the Ford Motor Company.please help me because I can't work at the moment until this vehicle is repaired, and I can't afford the repair bill until I get back to work, I am disheartened and upset about this whole ordeal.please look into this.

- Hightstown, NJ, USA

Jul 212015

Escape

While driving my 2005 Ford Escape hybrid I heard a dragging sound in the right rear of the vehicle. I stopped the vehicle to discover a piece of the inner wheelhouse suspension mount had separated and was rubbing on the right rear tire. This is a corrosion problem that has been reported many times to NHTSA and no enforcement action to date has been made to have Ford recall these unsafe vehicles for corrective action. I guess someone will have to die when the right rear suspension separates from the vehicle before NHTSA decides to act.

- Waterbury, VT, USA

Apr 202015

Escape

The right rear wheel well is rusted and completely rotted away. The shock spring is coming up through the back of the car. I just purchased the car "as is" last year, and had it looked at by my mechanic. No one caught the condition of the car, and then this year in April I heard a knocking noise in the back of my car. I went and had it looked at and the mechanic said the whole right rear wheel well was rusted and rotted out. The condition is so bad that my mechanic couldn't even find a way to weld a plate in there. I still owe on this vehicle, and it will cost upwards of $2000 to fix!

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 092015

Escape

Rusted out shock tower. Passenger rear panel all rusted out and large hole. Took it to dealer who said it is not under warranty and would have to go to a body shop. As I looked online, I have found that this has been a huge problem with this car and am surprised that there has not been a recall. Contacted Ford who said they can do nothing for me.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jun 032015

Escape

Noted at a local car repair shop that my passenger rear inner fender is rusted so bad that the metal where the shock is attached to is coming away. While driving on bumps, am now hearing loud clunking sound and no longer driving the vehicle for fear of the shock falling off. Car shop stated that they've seen 12 Escapes come through their place with the same issue on the same side that were 8-10 years old.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Jun 302015

Escape

Inside the right rear wheel well where the strut/shock mounts has totally rusted away

- Hinckley, OH, USA

Jul 032015

Escape

I started hearing a rattling noise in the rear passenger area a few days ago. Initially I thought that the jack had come loose in its compartment. Upon inspection I found that the passenger rear wheel well was completely rusted through and the shock detached from the frame. The shock was coming through the wheel well and hitting the interior of my vehicle. I am headed to the dealer today to see what repairs will cost. After getting on this site and seeing all of the complaints for the exact same issue it is apparent that Ford should be forced to recall this defect. I will never buy another Ford if this is not recalled.

- Fairfield, IL, USA

Jun 162015

Escape

Right rear wheel well is so rusted out that the shock mount has completely detached from the body. Definite safety issue. 2005 Ford Escape XLT.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Apr 152015

Escape

Passenger side rear wheel well (hidden area only) rusted out at the shock mount causing the shock to punch into the interior. Expensive repair. Sad part is that the rest of the vehicle is in very good shape, never suspected such a rusting issue like that. I see it is a common flaw of this vehicle. Poor engineering of a critical mounting point. Fortunately no injuries in this case, but could easily have caused panic resulting in an serious accident. Very surprised this is not a Ford recall item with an available manufactured reinforcing part.

- Summerhill, PA, USA

Jun 142015

Escape

The upper shock mount on the rear passenger side rusted right through and fell off which cut my breakline which could've led to a fatal accident. I also have a child, this is extremely dangerous and should be recalled. The system check and ABS light never came on either.

- South Lyon , MI, USA

May 212015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving at 25 mph, the suspension failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the rear suspension rusted and that there was a possibility of the suspension separating from the body of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Jun 052015

Escape

While driving heard a loud knotting in the right rear of the vehicle, going over minor bumps. Looked under the right rear wheel well found top of shock rusting loose from where it was attached. If this breaks loose completely it could cause the vehicle to bounce and sweve radically causing driver to lose control.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Feb 182015

Escape

Passenger side rear fender completely rusted through causing total detachment of shock absorber mount tower originally part of body/frame.

- Mogadore, OH, USA

May 212015

Escape

My 2005 Ford Escape rear passenger side wheel well cracked. The shock absorber is hardly attached and is a safety issue. If it falls off it could cause an accident.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

May 082015

Escape

Heard a thudding from rear end. Looked underneath as nothing loose in the vehicle. The passenger side rear wheel well is very rusted. No support for shocks. There was an undercoating with debris under it. Took out a lot of sludge/rust/debris from under that coating. Body shop says $5000 to fix it properly, and the other side is starting to rust as well (driver rear wheel well).

- Dodge Center, MN, USA

May 162015

Escape

Have heard this noise like a window or door rattling for awhile and couldn't find the problem. Finally looked at it really good one day and found the right wheel well and shock were completely rusted out and just sitting there. Unsafe to drive so we took it home and parked it. This car was bought for my grandaughter and her baby to be a safe car for her and now we have to park it and figure out what to do because we still owe on this vehicle and can't afford to pay it off or get another one right now

- Shenandoah Junction, WV, USA

Apr 242015

Escape

Heard loud noise from rear of vehicle especially at low speeds. Removed inside panel to find that rear passenger wheel well rusted through causing shock mount to tear through frame and was no longer attached to frame. Consulted with Ford, no recall for this model year, ,,but for previous year and following year?!! took vehicle to body shop for repairs. Vehicle for kids and deemed unsafe or dangerous for them. Ford...I buy a lot of vehicles from you...you need to make this right for us!

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

May 012015

Escape

Right rear shock tower is rusted all the way through, while the left side looks brand new.a mechanic said he has fixed at least 20 of these.the price for the fix quoted to me was between $800 and $1000.this should be a recall.we the Escape but this just is not fair.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 262015

Escape

Purchased June 2005 as a used vehicle w/ 18,000 miles. Always garage kept. Noticed a popping noise from the passage rear. Investigated and found the inner wheel well. Area were the shock bolt's to has almost completely rusted out. Read of other people having same issues on the internet. Car is unsafe to drive until repaired. Will consult a body shop on repairs. Ford needs to man up and offer a fix for this issue!

- Sardinia, OH, USA

Apr 262015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle made a rattling noise from the rear passenger side. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the wheel well rusted and caused the shocks to become inoperable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Ithaca , NY, USA