CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 19)

Dec 082014

Escape

Heard thumping noise on passenger side rear. Took it to check it out and wheel well completely rusted out and unsafe to drive.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Nov 262014

Escape

I was driving my 2005 Ford Escape when I started hearing a banging noise coming from the passenger side rear of my vehicle. After a few days the banging got louder and my Escape seemed to be hitting hard in the back like my shock wasn't working. Which my husband had changed them about 3 or 4 months prior so I thought that was odd. After driving her today and the banging getting worse I had my husband look at my back fender wall. When we did we seen it completely rusted out. I can touch the inside of my car. But the worst part of this is that is what holds my shock in place and it is all gone. I came inside frustrated and decided I would see if there are parts to fix it before my shock decides it is going to go for a free ride and destroy everything under there. To my surprise I have not found a fix nor a recall but I did find numerous people having the same issue. This is a safety hazard and no one seems to care. I am very surprised that no one has made Ford recall the Escapes and fix this issue. Can you imagine if I was on the freeway going 70 mph when this broke and the damage it could do to not only my Escape but my family, myself, and other drivers if I lost control of it because my shock is no longer attached to my SUV? I am very disappointed in Ford and everyone else that is in charge of recalling vehicles. They have put my family, me, and all the other drivers on the road in danger and no one seems to care. Maybe I should buy a Toyota because at least they recall their vehicles and fix them when they have an issue. Ford does not seem to care about anyone's safety.

- Jonesville, MI, USA

Aug 192014

Escape

Complaint one: Excessive rusted passenger side rear wheel well and strut mount, strut mount broke away. Complaint two: Rusted engine cradle caused passenger side front half shaft to separate from center of the car causing the to stop moving foreword and loss of steering.

- Cazenovia, NY, USA

Nov 252014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Severe rust right rear shock tower unsafe to drive.

- Mount Clemens, MI, USA

Nov 132014

Escape

2005 Escape. Load banging in rh rear over even very small bumps. Found shock tower in wheel well had rusted away. Top of shock not connected to anything; moving around freely. Loud banging noise is from the top of shock hitting the body while driving. Undriveable, shock could punch through the body. Local frame shop has repaired six 2005's in the past year. Cost will be $1200, however, part is not available. Vehicle parked until the part can be obtained and fixed.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Nov 122014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Severe rusted out rear wheel wells causing the passenger rear shock to break. Called Ford and they stated no recall for 2005 just thru 2004 and they could not do anything. Still owe money on this vehicle and not sure what it is going to cost for large repair. Needs to be recalled. Look up this google and you will find tons of this.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 132014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

The passenger side rear wheel well on this Escape is completely rotted. A large piece of the body in the wheel well has broken away (around 8X8) with the shock attached. The large piece of metal has been bouncing in and out of the indoor storage compartment. I now have no shock absorption on that wheel. I have noticed numerous other people that share this problem with this vehicle. Ford has refused to assist them with their problem. I will be taking this vehicle to a local Ford dealership with the demand that this be fixed at a reasonable price, considering the large number of people that this effects.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Escape

Right back shock came through wheel well and broke through interior of car. Car is in excellent condition with no rust.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Nov 072014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, a loud knocking sound emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the driver's side rear wheel was rusted and the shock had penetrated the trunk. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Clinton Township , MI, USA

Oct 272014

Escape

Severe rust in the passenger side rear wheel well- where the shock mounts. Shock is about to push thru the rust into the inside of car. Rust was disguised by undercoating by previous owner or dealer. Loud noise when going over bumps, etc. Unsafe to drive.

- Greenville, MI, USA

Oct 032014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for regular inspection. The technician notified the contact that the rear shock mounts were covered with rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 86,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 092014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Had my 2005 Ford Escape in for service and mechanic stated that there is severe rust on undercarriage and rear wheel wells. Mechanic stated that the car will not pass inspection because of this safety issue and that the rear shock mounts are rusting through. I contacted Ford and they stated that only the 2001-2004 models are covered under the new recall and to keep my receipts for any work I have done to fix it. I am the original owner with no accidents and under 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I have researched this problem and have read hundreds of people with the same problem..

- Ridley Park, PA, USA

Oct 272014

Escape 6-cyl

I heard a rattle in right rear of Escape. When I inspected the right rear, I found the wheel house and shock tower is completely rusted out. The rest of the Escape shows no rust. I was told by a mechanic not to drive this vehicle. Parts for this repair are back ordered and I can, T get part until December at the soonest.

- Lincoln Park , MI, USA

Oct 082014

Escape

Driving at highway speed my Ford Escape 2005 started to make loud banging noise from passenger side, behind the back seat. When we stopped the strut had completely broke away from car body and was loose and banging in the wheel well. I contacted my local dealership and they informed me a recall was done for 2000-2004 Ford Escapes for this issue, but no recall is available for the 2005. From recall information, it is the exact same wheel -rear passenger side in all the affected vehicles. This is a design flaw, and unsafe.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Oct 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I began to hear a thumping sound from the passenger rear side like something was loose. It turns out that the wheel well is rusted through and the shock absorber is in danger of breaking loose which could cause further damage and make the vehicle difficult to control.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 052014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger wheel well was entirely rusted through the shock absorber. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Northville, MI, USA

Oct 162014

Escape

I was driving down the street when I noticed a banging noise coming from the rear of the car. When I parked the car and investigated I realized that the passenger side rear wheel well was rusted out. My shock is not longer attached to the car and every time I hit a bump it slams into the car.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 012013

Escape

We were driving our Escape on city roads when all of a sudden we heard a banging noise coming from the right rear side of the vehicle. After inspecting what was causing the noise, we found that the shock had completely went through the interior of the car. We can see the pavement from the inside of our trunk. We have been noticing an enormous amount of similar complaints for this problem and would like to know why there hasn't been a recall yet. We have always bought Ford cars because they have been safe for our family, however, we may have to reconsider next time. We still have not had the issue fixed and cannot drive the vehicle.

- Saline, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Escape

Right rear wheel well has on my 2005 Ford Escape has rusted completely through. The shock absorber is banging against the inner interior molding when the vehicle goes over a bump. There are large holes in the passenger compartment and the shock absorber is about to separate entirely from the wheel well leaving the suspension on the right rear side of the vehicle compromised. The wheel well on the left rear of the vehicle is in tact.

- Woolwich, ME, USA

Oct 062014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, a very loud banging noise emitted from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician discovered that the passenger side rear wheel well was rusted and corroded, causing damage to the rear passenger side shock absorber. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,870. Updated 3/18/15 updated 10/19/2015

- Chicago Heights , IL, USA