CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

Jan 042017

Escape

Noticed undercoating peeling off in wheel well(rear passenger side). Pulled off and also found a 3in. Circle of metal loose. Have seen other(300+) reports of this rust problem on this web page. I am original owner and vehicle has always been garaged when not in use and has less than 70K miles. There are no handling or noise issues yet.

- Dyer, IN, USA

May 122014

Escape

Passenger rear inner wheelhouse that holds shock absorber rotted and shock fell out Ford knows there is a problem because they have updated the part with a later model Escape part so to deny there is problem why did they update the part and discontinue making the part that came on 2005 Escape

- Winchester, MA, USA

Nov 222016

Escape

We started to hear a very loud banging coming from the back passenger side when we drove over even the smallest bump. The rear passenger side wheel well is completely rusted though (you can see the interior) and the wheel could fall off at anytime. The car is not safe to drive with out a very expensive repair. After looking online I found that this is a very common occurrence and that 2001-2004 Escapes were recalled for the same issue.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Nov 012016

Escape

2005 Ford Escape. Rear passenger side shock mount completely rusted/broken. Wheel well and fender completely rotted out while the rest of the vehicle has no rust at all. Why has Ford not recalled the 2005 Escape, after seeing thousands of complaints about the same issue

- Mt Upton, NY, USA

Nov 102016

Escape

Almost suddenly, a loud rattling sound from the rear started last week. When inspected, to my shock, the rear wheel well was totally, totally rotted out. This vehicle has been been garaged and carefully maintained since we bought it. In fact, for the past 8 years--it has been basically driven about 16 -20 miles per day. And again--garaged day and night. And now, almost immediately, it appears very unsafe to drive. As a result, I'm now searching for another car to buy--not wanting to spend +$1,200 on this repair.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Oct 102016

Escape

Back passenger shock mount completely rusted out and found over 500 compaints for same exact problem.

- Kegley, WV, USA

Oct 202016

Escape 6-cyl

Underbody is all rusted, only 57,000 miles and stored inside, except when driving.

- Auburn, IN, USA

Oct 162016

Escape

Vehicle started making a noise in passenger rear wheel. Upon inspection I observed that the well was completely rusted through where the shock is mounted. Learned that this is a manufacturing defect from thousands of complaints

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Sep 162016

Escape

The passenger side rear shock tower is rusted to the point where the top of the shock is not secured to the uni-body frame. When going over a bump there is metal to metal contact. While not rusted completely through, a screwdriver can be easily poked through the rusty metal on the rear driver side shock tower as well. This has obviously been slowly rusting the last few years but was not visible until the inner panels were removed allowing access to the inner wheel wells. My grandchildren had been riding in their car seats in this vehicle. A rear or rear side accident would have been catastrophic.

- Clayton, OH, USA

Apr 132016

Escape

Started hearing a clunking sound on the rear shock. Back rear shock tower rotted out. Not even anything to weld it too. Had to have it rebuilt.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Mar 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving over a hump in the road, the contact heard a loud banging noise. The contact performed a test drive and discovered that the rear passenger wheel well had a rusted hole underneath the vehicle and the shock absorber was detached from the original mount. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Sep 102016

Escape

I have a 2005 Ford Escape that started making sounds in the back of the vehicle while driving in the town streets coming home when I hit bumps. We looked at the rear passenger side tire well and the shock mount is rusted through. The body is resting on the coil. I am afraid to drive it due to the danger of the body coming down on the wheel.

- Monmouth, IL, USA

Oct 132014

Escape

Right rear wheel well rotted out causing shock to break through trunk and cause loud banging. Ford charges $1,548.40 to fix. Now as in other Escapes, years 2001-2004, the 2005 sub frame or suspension control arm is rusted that holds up the engine and the front of the car! there is a video on youtube that shows the corrosion on the particular spot. This is extremely dangerous to drive. Hit one pothole or bump and entire engine and front of car can collapse! facebook has entire page for 2005 Ford Escape sub frame rusting!!! someone is going to get hurt!

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Sep 032016

Escape

Went to replace rear shocks. Rear passenger wheel well has rusted and I could move shock mount tower when truck is bounced. Also have banging and bouncing going on. Rides rough and have a rust hole and can see tire below. Bad engineering design. The Ford Motor Company should fess up and correct this, but they won't they got their money!!!

- Woburn, MA, USA

Jul 172016

Escape

When I bought the vehicle from call lot tolled them brakes were going out he test drive and he said they were fine so I took his word then a few days later my water rateteravoter hose busted I had to get that them fixed and then they charged me to fix it then a few days later I here a thump on the back of my vehicle the whole back of my wheel area by the wheel was completely rusted out there no protection on the wheel and the strusts where busted they had stuff stuffed in it so you couldn't tell went to talk to them about it they say this happens there nothing they could for me but to charge me five hundred dollars to fix it I done nothing but have problems with this vehicle and this isn't the first one I've had problems with the are selling vehicle with safe hazards I paid out $1000 out on a car test drove it and guess I should of test drive it longer but I didn't I bought it and was on my way to put gas in it and the motor blow up. I had state police wait with me me and my 16 year old was stuck in high traffic because the motor blow state police said he had to get there and toll the car and he bought a trailer with a flat tired to try and toll it off the state police made him leave and called for a toll truck the car lot refused to give me my money back so I could go some where else so I bought a another car it was in fair condtion but when water stated hitting motor it ended up getting total by insurance company so still couldn't get money back made me pay out another $600 out for the vehicle and after I gave him the money he wrote out sold as is and could not trade vehicle or get my money back so I feel like he knew something was wrong with the vehicle because he didn't write this on the last two vehicles.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 012010

Escape

Takata recall: Passenger rear panel rusted out inside wheel well

- Niles, IL, USA

Jun 102016

Escape

The shock module on the right rear passanger side has deteriorated and has become dislodged from the wheel well. This has made the SUV undrivable. This happened while driving on a newly paved road, going over a gentle hill. While driving the vehicle over the hill, there was a loud clank and the vehicle served slightly (thankfully no oncoming traffic was present). Upon driving home there is an evident clanking heard in the rear and the SUV can be felt to swerve slightly from left to right. This occurrence has only happened to the right wheel well and is not evident in any other wheel well. If road salt or weather conditions were to blame, equal distribution at all 4 wheel wells would be evident, but the other 3 are fine with no rust or deterioration present. Searches on the internet have seen thousands of similar complaints, along with pictures and the damage all appears to be the same - and also applies to model years 2004, 2005, and 2006.

- Alto, MI, USA

Jul 112016

Escape

Last Monday my 2005 Ford Escape cargo area items started bumping severely when going over road imperfections. By Friday the suspension was shifting when driving over same imperfections. I got out and looked at the back end and found that the right rear shock mount has rusted completed through the wheel well. I only have 114,000 miles on the car and like so many of the other complaints the mechanic I had look at it said that shouldn't have happened and surely there should be a recall on it. When I checked the internet, no recall. I'm very nervous driving, but have no other options at this point.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Escape

Vehicle suddenly started making a banging sound so I took vehicle into our mechanic. Apparently the passenger side suspension was not properly sealed and the sheet metal in the wheel well has deteriorated to the point in which the shock tower has disconnected from the vehicle frame. I was refereed to a auto welding shop by my mechanic and was surprised to see that there were two of the same vehicles at the facility having the exact same problem resolved. The mechanic at this welding shop says that he is repairing personally 3 Ford Escapes per week for the exact issue and he was able to show me the two that he had just repaired over the past two days. I am now more shocked to see that there are over 500 complaints with this exact same complaint just at this NHTSA.gov sight and that there are literally thousands of other identical complaints posted on the internet. This is an extremely unsafe safety issue. The fact is that the loud banging noise is enough to cause most owners to pause and to look into the matter and thus typically this issue does not result in an accident. However, safety issues and recalls should not only involve accidents or casualties. This is a very real problem impacting every single 2005 Ford Escape and costing consumers hundreds and thousands in repairs that Ford refuses to acknowledge.

- Edinboro, PA, USA

May 202016

Escape

The right rear shock mount disconnected from the body because of rust...early years were recalled for this problem

- Toms River, NJ, USA