CarComplaints.com Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

1.6

2006 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 022016

Escape

While driving my vehicle on a highway, I could here a loud clunking sound coming from the rear. After investigating, it was visibly noticeable that the shock tower on the rear passenger side rusted completely off the vehicle. This allowed the wheel to bounce freely and the shock to jam up into the wheel well repeatedly. The vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Aug 212016

Escape

Significant rust through in right rear wheel well where shock absorber attaches to frame. While driving, shock came detached from frame of car.

- Monroe, CT, USA

May 012016

Escape

There is a clunking sound coming from the rear passenger side. It happens every time I hit a bump. Upon inspection I see that the passenger side rear wheel well is completely rotted and rusted and involves shock mount. It is unsafe to drive and research shows that this is an ongoing problem with this model. I was told not to take my truck on the highway because if I were to hit a bump at 65 mph, I would be "asking a lot of this car to hold together." I reported the damage to the Ford dealership. I was told to contact Ford directly and if they were to write up a work order then I was to come back for repairs. So the Ford customer relationship hotline informed me that no recall had been issued for this vehicle, and that they were unaware that this was a common, frequent, or widespread problem. They did not consider it a defect. I am unemployed at the moment seeking disability so that mean no income. What am I suppose to drive now"???"

- New Berlin, IL, USA

May 112016

Escape

Bought vehicle for 17yr old son first car. While he was driving, he noticed a loud banging sound from the back. After investigation, found that rear wheel well had totally corroded away and rear shock was poking into the interior. Reported to Ford who said no recalls and would do nothing. When researching problem on the web, it turns out that many people have had the same problem. The Ford dealer advised me not even to drive it home as it is a safetly hazard and that the wheel might fall off. If this was a one off situation, I might be able to accept it, but how can Ford continue to allow people to drive around in a car with an obviously known defect and that their dealers tell you is deadly. I cannot continue to support an american company with such an attitude.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jun 022016

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving, the vehicle shook severely. The contact inspected the vehicle and could visibly see the rear passenger shocks. The contact also noticed damage from where the rear tire was hitting the rear wheel well and caused pieces of the well to detach. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnoised that the passenger side rear wheel well was severely corroded. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 136,000.

- Erie, PA, USA

Apr 082016

Escape

Premature rusted out wheel.

- Berlin, PA, USA

Mar 012016

Escape

Purchased new 2006 Ford Escape, maintained and garaged no rust on car anywhere..last week noticed loud noise right passenger wheel.brought to my shop he said unrepairable rusted wheel well.when I brought to Ford dealership they confirmed that this was the problem and the cost to repair was more than car was worth. I feel 10 years is not acceptable for the life of a car.

- Wilbraham, MA, USA

May 312015

Escape

Escape wheel well rust caused strut to detatch from vehicle. I was driving down the highway when I heard loud thumping noises, I checked and didn't see anything that it might be so I took it to a mechanic who showed me the excessive wheel well rust that caused the strut to detatch from the body. He said it was not safe to drive and that it must be fixed by a body shop as he couldn't fix it. I got estimates from body shops as well as Ford and they all said it would be around $4,000 to $5,000 this is no other rust on the vehicle other than the excessive passenger rear wheel well rust and is has only 130-140K miles on it. Now I cannot drive it without risk of a major accident due to the problem so it is sitting in my garage. I have photos but am unable to upload them to this site at this time.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 202015

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact heard a loud banging noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle when driving over a bump in the road. Additionally, the odor of exhaust fumes was present in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the rear passenger side wheel well was rusted and corroded, which caused exhaust fumes to enter the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Wellsburg, WV, USA

Dec 192015

Escape

The right wheel well of my 2006 Ford Escape (limited) is completely rusted out. I can no longer drive this vehicle because the shock is about to break through the interior of the vehicle. The rust has caused exhaust to pour into the vehicle. Before knowing about this, I took my vehicle to several different mechaincs because I could smell exhaust. They couldn't find anything. A Canadian auto body person (I love on the border) told me that it was coming from the holes in the right wheel well and showed me the large hole where exhaust is leaking in. This is a serious safety issue that all Escape owners (2006 at least) need to be made aware of!!! I can't take and attach photos at this time due to the weather but can provide them another time, upon request. I should note that I live in northern Michigan and that I have taken meticulous care of this vehicle.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Sep 142015

Escape

Right rear wheel housing completely gone. First indication of any issue was when shock no longer properly supports. Rust and total de-lamination of metal housing supporting shock. Fear of shock punching through - into cargo hold in the area of the jack storage.

- Henryville, IN, USA

Aug 282015

Escape

When a driver was travelling down the highway, the hood flew up on this vehicle that we use for the company. This happened to another Ford Escape the company has, year 2010, that I am also going to file a complaint on as it is a major safety issue with no current recall.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jul 152015

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 45 mph, the rear passenger side of the vehicle started shaking violently. The contact observed rust on the rear passenger side tire. The failure recurred continuously causing the vehicle to become inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Ypsilanti , MI, USA

Jun 062012

Escape

The left quarter (dog leg only metal patch) severily rusted and I had it repaired, my vehicle was only 6 years old and should not have been rusted out. Only the left side is affected and no water rest in that area. Now here I am 3 years later and that same area on the left side is rusting again and eventually it will be rusted out just like before. It's like the rust came back with a venegence the guy at B& K collision where I had my vehicle repaired advised me he couldn't guarantee me that the rust wouldn't resurface, well it's happening again. My issue is why is it only affecting the left side and I can't afford to keep paying for what obviously is a defective pain and/or part!!! I've seen other Ford Escape with the same issue, same side, etc!!!

- Inkster, MI, USA

Jun 232015

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, there was a loud noise in the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the rear body fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Highland, IN, USA

Jun 162015

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact heard a bumping sound under the vehicle. The contact noticed that the rear passenger side wheel well rusted at the shock mount. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the wheel well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 159,000.

- Glendale Heights , IL, USA

May 132015

Escape

There is excessive corrosion in the passenger side rear wheel well and the shock absorber has broken since there is nothing to connect to causing a safety issue. Research on the internet shows this is a common problem with this year and 2005. It was taken to the dealer and they and Ford will do nothing stating the vehicle should be scrapped.

- Hastings, MI, USA

Feb 132015

Escape 6-cyl

When driving I started noticing a loud banging sound starting when driving over small bumps in the road. In taking the vehicle to the local Ford dealer repair shop for an oil change we had them check out the sound that I heard. They pointed out the right, passenger side rear wheel well. At this time we were told the repair was not an immediate repair that was needed but would need to be repaired. We planned to wait until the local roads were repaired from the pot holes developed through winter. A month and a half later, on March 20, 2015 the sound had become extremely worse and I feared for my safety. We took it to a repair shop and they stated the vehicle was no longer safe to drive. The right side rear wheel well had rusted through and the suspension is barely attached to the vehicle. In researching online this is a prevalent problem through several year models not just the 2005. When I called the Ford customer service hotline I was told Ford was unaware and that they did not know this was a safety problem despite the numerous listings of people online saying they have reported the same kind of issues.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Feb 132015

Escape

While driving I heard a loud noise then shortly after heard something rubbing then very shortly after my left rear tire blew out. I stopped to look and it looks like the area where the rear strut attached to the body completely rusted away. The car is most likely not repairable.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Jan 022015

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear wheel well of my 2006 Ford Escape has rusted completely away, where you can see into the inside of the car from the outside. It is causing a constant rattling and a horrible clunking noise every time I go over a bump.checking online, I see that this has been a problem for some time now and the shock has completely separated from the vehicle. Ford has always been a company to stand behind their vehicles, so I imagine it will only be a matter of time before a recall is issued, but someone needs to do something about this now before there are fatalities involved.

- Kenosha, WI, USA