Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Dec 122014

This has happened 3 times now, 2 in southern California on the freeway at night. Hybrid vehicle has recall problems which makes vehicle stop running. Had it fixed, paid out of my own pocket in southern California and thought problem was fixed. Something to do with battery. Then on Friday, Dec. 12, it happened again as I was driving home from college, the vehicle stopped suddenly. I couldn't pull over, it won't restart even after many attempts. I waited 5 to 25 minutes, vehicle would not start. Finally had to call a tow truck to closest Ford dealer. I thought dealer could fix problem after having it all day but when I left and headed on highway, my hybrid vehicle stalled again on the highway. I have ptsd from this car, I never want to get in it. I don't trust it and after 3 different Ford dealers, all of my own money to pay, car still doesn't work properly. I paid a premium to purchase this vehicle and it is worthless. Now I am receiving more recall notices about the airbags. I am afraid to drive my vehicle because if it stalls again I might be in a horrific accident as it stops suddenly with no warning whatsoever.

- Ouray, CO, USA

Jul 012011

The ABS ring (tone ring according to Ford) on the front right axle fractured during driving. This sent a false signal to the processor and applied the ABS while the vehicle was travelling at highway speeds. This extended the braking distance to an unsafe and unpredictable length on dry pavement. Two months after the first incident and replacement of the front right ring the front left ring broke again setting off the ABS at an unpredictable time.

- Wilmington, NC, USA