Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 222009

The gas pedal on our 2006 Ford Escape locks up at random times, causing an inability to press on the gas pedal. The vehicle becomes instantly inoperable. The only way to get the pedal to unlock, is to get to the side of the road and turn the vehicle off and on a few times. The consequences of such actions are obviously dangerous to say the list. We have taken the car to the Ford dealer and they found nothing wrong. Please go on the web and you will see numerous same case scenarios. This is disaster waiting to happen. We have to think of this each time we drive this car. Help.

- Bridgeview, IL, USA

Sep 222009

Front wheel bearings failing. Called Ford and they will not cover this under warranty. Bearings should last over 100,000 miles. Mine started to go bad at 58,000 (approx) miles. When bearings fail driver could lose front brakes and/or front wheels leading to a crash. I have over 35 years experience with automobiles and know what a failing wheel bearing sounds like.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 062009

The torque converter has failed due to driving my car on numerous long trips. Tsb 07-5-6 describes the exact problem and fix. It occurred twice and now the transmission must be removed and the torque converter replaced for $1800. My car is only 3 years old.

- Bedminster, NJ, USA

Jul 132008

Air conditioning went as well as replacement of ball bearing and pulley because they seized and just yesterday August 27,2008 the battery went.

- Salem, NJ, USA

Jul 252008

I was pulling out of a parking space with the wheel turned to the left & heard a loud clunk like something fell from underneath my car, like my car literally was falling apart. I got out to check and my tires were okay, and nothing was hanging or leaking from the car. So I drove to my office which is about a mile away. I went to make a left turn into my office complex and I heard the clunking again. I parked and went inside to call a mechanic. The mechanic across the street from my office took it for a test drive & said it sounds like my transmission was sticking for some reason. He called a transmission guy he knows not far from there & I was able to drive it there. He drove it & said it was clunking bad & it sounded like a transmission problem. He kept it over the weekend to look everything over. On Monday afternoon he contacted me & said that the clunking was the wheel bearing hub assembly and once they fix that, that could still just be the first part of the problem. He was right. After test driving it again he heard another noise that I can't describe in words. He said that it was the transfer case & something about the transfer case controlling the 4-wheel drive which is all related to the transmission. At first I was going to let him order the generic parts, but after I did some research on the warranties for 2006 Ford Escapes I called him back and spoke to him about what I found about the power train and transmission modules under the emissions warranty being covered up to 80,000 miles. He said emissions has to do with pollution. So I just said order the Ford parts instead in the event that I have to revisit this situation. Although I would've saved about $100 now I'm not willing to take that chance if something else happens & Ford say they are not responsible because they are not Ford genuine parts. My car is still in the shop because they had to order the parts and then they will be able to complete the replacement of the transfer case and parts.

- Levittown, PA, USA