Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Dec 092015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Without warning transmission completely fails. No indication of problems, just dropped the transmission on the way to work. Thank goodness there was no traffic behind us or we were in an intersection. Just completely stopped pulling while traveling down the road at 45 mph. Transmission rebuilt. Since then and still currently the charging light stays on constantly. Has been in the automotive repair shop for a month and no one can find a problem or match the codes with an apparent problem. On it's way to a second shop for another opinion. Idles high both in park and in gear, constant vibration inside the vehicle (steering wheel, dash, console etc.). dash/speedometer makes humming noise in the afternoons. Alarm has randomly gone off twice and interior lights would not go out on their own - had to turn off manually. "right rear door ajar" or "lift gate ajar" messages were displayed, but the doors were fine. Message did not reset when re-closing the doors, just reset eventually on its own. Gas mileage has dropped to 15 mpg. Radio volume will not come down. Get louder if you touch it. This problem has been going on awhile, but now with everything else possibly electrically going on, don't know if it's related. We've already spent around $2000 on it and I still don't feel safe to drive it, especially after reviewing all the complaints this model Escape has had. Without diagnosis of a problem, I fear it may escalate to other computer issues and cause far worse driving/safety problems. Undetermined electrical/interior going crazy seems to be a common complaint even when what appears to be the problem is addressed. I am disappointed to be having such problems with this Ford. My husband actually recently purchased a used Acura instead of a Ford because of it. I have no transportation of my own until these safety/reliability issues are resolved....updated 04/12/16 the consumer took the vehicle to another repair shop. She was informed the alternator needed to be replaced at a cost of $500 updated 04/13/16.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Dec 172015

On several occasions after getting off the highway onto an exit ramp my vehicle has died with no check engine lights, it also shuts down when making a hard turn at slower speeds. I have had issues with the accelerator sticking when it is cold outside (several times having to manually shut off engine and coast to a stop in snow). I have currently started experiencing a #3 misfire and am currently waiting for parts to come. I have already replaced all spark plugs and number 3 ignition coil. I am waiting for other 3 coils to come in. If still shooting will try replacing seals. It also was "burning" oil then started to have an actual oil leak from main seal. I do the repairs myself and apparently these are known issues. I complained to Ford about the sticky accelerator and got no reply. It also makes a tapping sound from the cam shaft which I found out is typical of Ford Escapes.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 032015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and "stop safely now" displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was able to restart after multiple attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a faulty wire harness inside the high voltage battery. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Springfield, IL, USA

May 282015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the stop safely now warning message displayed after driving the vehicle for approximately 30-45 minutes. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery pack fan kit and the traction auxiliary mode actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system), but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 172014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the interior lights illuminated and the horn activated independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000. The VIN was not available.

- Beaverdam, VA, USA

Dec 122014

This has happened 3 times now, 2 in southern California on the freeway at night. Hybrid vehicle has recall problems which makes vehicle stop running. Had it fixed, paid out of my own pocket in southern California and thought problem was fixed. Something to do with battery. Then on Friday, Dec. 12, it happened again as I was driving home from college, the vehicle stopped suddenly. I couldn't pull over, it won't restart even after many attempts. I waited 5 to 25 minutes, vehicle would not start. Finally had to call a tow truck to closest Ford dealer. I thought dealer could fix problem after having it all day but when I left and headed on highway, my hybrid vehicle stalled again on the highway. I have ptsd from this car, I never want to get in it. I don't trust it and after 3 different Ford dealers, all of my own money to pay, car still doesn't work properly. I paid a premium to purchase this vehicle and it is worthless. Now I am receiving more recall notices about the airbags. I am afraid to drive my vehicle because if it stalls again I might be in a horrific accident as it stops suddenly with no warning whatsoever.

- Ouray, CO, USA

Mar 132007

Pulling into a parking lot with my 2 year old granddaughter and daughter when my car stalled. Thinking quick, I put the car into neutral so I could steer and car has been in the garage 4 times and a $1000 of work put into it to try and fix the problem, to this day it still stalls!!!!!! no one knows what's wrong with it!!!!!

- Gouldsboro, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Escape 4-cyl

After starting the vehicle it has to be warmer up for about 30 minutes or more, in order for the gas pedal to press down so the vehicle will move. The gas pedal will not move at all. It has to be warmed up in the summer months and well as the winter months in order for the vehicle to move. The gas pedal is so hard to press that it like trying to press your foot through a brick wall. It does this even when at a stand still when trying to accelerator for any speed. It just will not move. This is dangerous for me and my family. Please help !!!

- West Memphis, AR, USA

Aug 302013

Escape 4-cyl

The first incident occurred while I was driving 65 mph on the expressway. I went to change lanes and hit the accelerator and the car would not accelerate and was shuddering. I had pull off the expressway and turn the car off. I tried restarting and it just shuddered again. I waited five minutes and tried again and finally it started and was able to shift. Two days ago I was getting off the expressway and making a left turn when the car died and I lost steering power. I was able to fortunately get to the side of the road and put it into park. I tried restarting the car and it would not start. I waited 3 mins and was able to finally get it going. Both times there was no check engine light. I had the Escape read by a code reader device multiple times and there are no error codes displayed from the computer. This is a very serious and potentially life threatening issue, and would like Ford to act upon it for its customers immediately. I am filing this because I have read that the issue is with a defective throttle body, and there is already an investigation into Ford on this issue (PE13-003). I would like my vehicle to be added to this investigation for my families safety and all others experiencing the problem.

- Midlothian, IL, USA

Sep 202013

Escape 4-cyl

Problems with gas pedal sticking/ locking up. While driving and sometimes when idle dash lights, A/C and radio turn on and off, then there was a clicking sound before the actual engine shuts off.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Feb 142013

On Feb 14th, 2013, on my way to work, my car radio went complete dead...then as I was approaching an intersection, my car 'surged' like it was going "on & off". I prayed to get to get out of harms way enough to pull my car over, as soon as I did, all the lights started flashing and there was a constant 'clicking sound'. I called a town truck and had my car towed to my car repair place. Turns out I needed an new alternator. After spending $550 + to have it fixed, the following week, on Tuesday, Feb 19th, my car died. Again, having it towed to my car repair again, it turns out that the electrical system needed replacing. I only have 67K on my car and after spending another $600 to fix, I am not a happy consumer! Ford should reimburse me for these costs. Now, my car is fixed and as much as I loved it, I am not confident driving it anymore. Unless Ford reimburses me, I will never buy another Escape again, nor will I tell everyone about how wonderful of a vehicle they are because they aren't and when you spend that much money on a car...well, when something costly happens like that, the vehicle should be replaced by Ford with no cost to the consumer. An extra $1200 out of my pocket means my family has to go without food.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 132012

Escape 4-cyl

Wife was driving her 2003 Ford Escape 2.3L XLS (fwd, 5-spd manual) at 65mph, practically coasting down a hill. 26 minutes after engine start she heard a loud bang and subsequent popping sounds. This was followed immediately by severe power loss from the engine. She drove it to the next best off-ramp, an additional 2 miles. When she got off the freeway she says she had to rev it up quite a bit to make an intersection to get to the gas station where the car rolled to a stop. That loud bang turned up to be the nbr 3 cylinder blowing its spark plug clean off the spark plug bore. The spark plug bore was completely threadless. The subsequent popping sounds were due to the spark plug not being on the nbr 3 cylinder as the fuel that continued to spray into the cylinder was burning off. The immediate power loss is a direct result of the engine loosing 25% of its chugga-chugga and the loss of the cht sensor signal which both then caused the PCM (powertrain control module) to go into limp mode and further reduce engine power. First thing I did was plug in my obdii scanner and check for codes. I found the following three: P0303 - cylinder 3 three misfire. P0353 - ignition coil 'C' primary/secondary circuit. P1289 - cylinder head temp sensor high input. I then performed a koeo (key-on/engine-off) check with my obdii scanner and found the following two codes: P0119 - engine coolant temperature circuit intermittent/erratic. P1289 - cylinder head temp sensor high input. The cht probe (cylinder head temperature) cover/boot was popped off the engine camshaft cover and the wires were broken off the cht probe electrical connector. The spark plug terminal broke off. The ignition coil pack was severely damaged (looked like an exploded cigar, cartoon style).

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 242012

I drove my car around the corner to a friend's house. I started to smell something burning. I pulled into my friend's driveway and stopped, but the car was still running and I saw smoke coming from under the floor area and dash of the car. Smoke filled up the inside of the car. I turned off the car and opened all the doors. Had I not turned it off, it would have caught on fire as it was smoking really bad and extremely hot inside the interior of the cab. The fuse box was blown and all the wiring under the dash was destroyed, so the fire was likely due to an electrical malfunction. The car was able to start but nothing in the dash area was working - the speedometer and gauges will no longer function. I am not driving it due to safety issues and am having it checked by a mechanic.

- Picayune, MS, USA

Aug 012011

Escape 6-cyl

2 alternators in less than one year. Tired of being left stranded with 3 kids in the car!! and its a lot of $$$$$$$$.

- Hurley, NY, USA

Jun 122012

Escape 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Escape. My car alarm started going off on it's own for a few days. Then the car "ajar door" light came on while I was driving from a doctors appointment. So I took the car into a Ford dealership to get the problem inspected. I was told that there was a right rear door fault. So I asked him to explain. The tech said that Ford had redesigned the rear door latch and that it requires a new cable which will cost me $404 to replace. Needless to say my jaw hit the floor, because that was just one door. Apparently, after searching online for a cheaper solution, I came across so many complaints of the same problem since 2001. Evidently Ford have not solve the problem. It's a safety hazard. If the rear door latch is likely to go bad then it's jeopardizing the safety of the children that's required to sit in the back seat. It probably would be so bad if it were cheaper to replace, but $404 is ridiculously high. If they knew that they had to redesign the latches a recall should have been made.

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Dec 272010

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph the gauge began to fluctuate erratically. The ABS and battery light illuminated on the instrument panel and the windows could not be opened or closed. The door locks also would not engage. The failures would occur at the same time and also independently. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians replaced the PCM board. Immediately after the repairs were made the failure continued to occur. The technicians suggested that the alternator be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the alternator was replaced; yet, it did not correct the failure. The battery was replaced when the vehicle failed to start. When the cobattery was replaced, the vehicle started but the electrical failures continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 54,576.

- Warran, MI, USA

Nov 302010

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving from work to the bank to make the daily deposits, when I pulled into a parking space in the bank parking lot I noticed a lot of smoke coming out from under my hood, I immediately got the outside security guard to come take a look and when he raised the hood my car was on fire. If you are standing in front of the car looking in it would be the left side, he immediately called the fire department who came and put it out, my car is now sitting at the dealership.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Aug 012009

I own a 2006 Escape. Since the summer of 2009, the sunroof seems to open 'at will'. I close it with difficulty (the rear part will not close completely; if it does the front part is ajar. When it does close completely, it eventually opens again.

- New Boston, NH, USA

Aug 082009

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving approximately between 25-35 mph on normal conditions; the brake warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. In an attempt to apply pressure to the brake pedal there was a grinding noise followed by a low power response. The warning indicator light remained illuminated until the engine was turned off and the four wheel drive light illuminated intermittently. The contact was able to drive with caution. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact is aware of the safety risk involved. The failure and current mileages were 104,000. The VIN number was unavailable.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Feb 122008

At less than 28000 miles, the 06 Ford Escape limited produced a sharp, short scraping noise at the first turn of the starter. It mostly does it on the first start, but not always. Took it to jones West Ford in reno and their comment was "all Escapes do that". I'm retired, and will be driving this machine for a long time. I'd like it to be dependable. The sound isn't "normal" for any car. The dealership should have found the problem. (the car runs well other than that ). help?

- Reno, NV, USA