CarComplaints.com Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Nov 062013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving to work at about 43 miles per hour, I went to accelerate, but the gas pedal was stuck - like it froze up. I was able to pull into a parking lot, stopped the car, and slammed on the gas pedal a few times until it loosened up. This happened again a couple of days later, but I was able to stop at a red light, and again slammed on the gas pedal until it gave in. Again this happened 2 days ago on my way to work, and had to pull off the street into a parking lot and slammed on the gas pedal until it loosened up. I looked on line for reviews on 2006 Ford Escapes, and saw that many, many other Ford Escape owners have had the same problem. I brought it yesterday morning to autonation Ford in brooksville, Florida and it was determined that the body asy - carburetor throttle, cable asy - throttle control needed to be replaced. The service manager stated that there were no recalls on this, and that this was common in Ford Escapes. He stated that this was a safety hazard and advised that I shouldn't be driving the car the way it was. The repairs are costing me over $600, and with all the complaints that I read about on line, I feel that this should be a Ford recall, and customers should be reimbursed their costs to have this repaired.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Nov 062013

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 75 mph, the accelerator pedal seized. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. Updated 12/23/13 the consumer stated the brake would work. However, the engine would idle at high speed. The consumer believed, the problem caused the transmission to fail. Updated 12/23/13

- Pawpaw, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Escape

Gas pedal sticks, I purchased this car one year ago. It has consistently had a problem with sticking since I purchased it.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 252013

Escape

Gas pedal would not depress could not drive no matter how hard I pushed it.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Oct 272010

Escape 4-cyl

This mostly happens in cooler weather, I had started experiencing my accelerator pedal sticking with the throttle closed. It was mainly a nuisance at first but it started to get to the point where I could put my entire weight on the pedal without it budging. At my soonest convenience and mostly because I had a warranty on the vehicle since it was still relatively new to me, I drove to the dealer I purchased it from and they told me it was the throttle body and that it had to do with the differing metals of the throttle body and the ambient temperature, so they ended up replacing it... it only cost me $100 at the time due to the warranty. Here I am about three years later and I am experiencing the exact same problem. I don't have a warranty so I investigated the issue myself and discovered the throttle body is mostly plastic with an aluminum butterfly... I also discovered a tar-like residue on the edges of the butterfly. I proceeded to clean the assembly, then reinstalled it and there was a major improvement... my accelerator feels very different, in a very good way. I'm tired of large companies hiding issues like this. It gets old and causes good products to continue to get cheaper. My money could be put to better use than replacing a part that obviously needed more engineering attention before becoming production.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Sep 202013

Escape 4-cyl

Problems with gas pedal sticking/ locking up. While driving and sometimes when idle dash lights, A/C and radio turn on and off, then there was a clicking sound before the actual engine shuts off.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Sep 172013

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph down hill, the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact stated the accelerator pedal became stuck. The contact pulled over to the side of the road and continued to push on the accelerator to release the pedal. The pedal was released but the failure soon recurred. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer, who stated that the throttle body failed and caused the accelerator pedal to stick. The dealer stated the throttle body needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the throttle replaced. The failure mileage was 156,884.

- Mount Holly Spirings, PA, USA

Aug 092010

Escape

Driving along at various speeds, the gas pedal sticks in the up position. If you need to speed up the pedal wont move. It is locked in the idle position. This almost caused a major accident when I could not speed up to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler. It nearly ran over me. The pedal has stuck at least 15 times since I have owned the vehicle. Dealer says nothing is wrong with this vehicle. I have checked online and found many people are having the same problem with the 2006 Escape. If the pedal sticks at the wrong time, someone somewhere will be injured or killed.

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Jun 272013

Escape

My vehicle dies when the truck is warmed up and I put it in gear with my foot on the brake. It dies at stop lights and stop signs and in reverse. Another technician told me I would have to ride around with that problem because it was not throwing a code. After a week, I took it back to the Ford dealer in cleveland, ms, and the service department manager told me it was probably the throttle body actuator. But, that it was on national back order. I left the car with the Ford dealer, and they said they replaced the throttle valve at a cost of $900. The truck died on the way home from the dealer with the same problem.

- Cleveland, MS, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 4-cyl

My car gas pedal keeps sticking like there is rock under it. I almost wrecked tonite because of it!!!! it needs to be fixed and there are a lot of other people with the same issue.

- Waleska, GA, USA

Nov 152012

Escape 4-cyl

Accelerator sticks, would not go down. Started sticking when starting engine and would continue until driven for a few miles. Continued to get worse and would stick when pulling out from a side road to a busier road below a hill where oncoming traffic could be popping over hill and my vehicle would not move. Would have to continue to stomp accelerator, finally would take off. Stuck several times when driving during snow storm, had to constantly stomp accelerator, would take off at a higher than safe speed and then I would have to use break which was not safe on snow covered road. Stuck in middle of intersection. Had to continue to stomp accelerator, finally moved before anyone struck my vehicle was told by dealership that problem was due to cold weather but last time it stuck the weather was warm. Dealership finally replaced throttle body at my expense of $400 with mileage at 89888..

- Harper Ferry, WV, USA

Mar 122012

Escape 4-cyl

While traveling between 25 and 30 mph, the accelerator became stuck. I was unable to depress it further and it did not release. After 3 or 4 attempts the accelerator freed up. It then worked fine the remainder of the day. This occurred five times sporadically during the first half of 2012. This behavior returned April 2013. The accelerator stuck and freed up 3 or 4 times in a row during a morning commute for several days. The Ford dealer replaced the throttle body (5L8Z*9E926 body asy) and gasket (4L5Z*9E936) total cost with labor $474.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 092010

Escape 4-cyl

The gas pedal would get stuck when you were driving. Had to have it replaced. It cost four hundred dollars (I think). Was told there were no other issues like this. Its been a couple of years now. Saw recently there are other complaints for this issue (online). Thanks

- Marshfield, MA, USA

Jul 012012

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving at approximately 40 mph ( 40-65 mph intervals between highways) for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden my car is loosing power, so I stepped on the gasoline pedal a little more to keep the speed. The sad part is that there wasn't any light that came on to tell or warn me that something is seriously wrong and that my car needed to be checked. I drove a total of one hour that day at 40-65 mph intervals. When I started the car the next day, after about 3 minutes of the engine running, it started making this really loud noise and my car will not go faster than 2 mph.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Oct 012012

Escape

Throttle body failure. It absolutely would not accelerate while pulling out into heavy traffic. It happened repeatedly last fall, then suddenly stopped in December. It has begun doing it again, this time deciding to act up in houston. There needs to be a recall for every year model for which even one incident has been reported as this is obviously a problem for these vehicles.

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Feb 142013

Escape

On Feb 14th, 2013, on my way to work, my car radio went complete dead...then as I was approaching an intersection, my car 'surged' like it was going "on & off". I prayed to get to get out of harms way enough to pull my car over, as soon as I did, all the lights started flashing and there was a constant 'clicking sound'. I called a town truck and had my car towed to my car repair place. Turns out I needed an new alternator. After spending $550 + to have it fixed, the following week, on Tuesday, Feb 19th, my car died. Again, having it towed to my car repair again, it turns out that the electrical system needed replacing. I only have 67K on my car and after spending another $600 to fix, I am not a happy consumer! Ford should reimburse me for these costs. Now, my car is fixed and as much as I loved it, I am not confident driving it anymore. Unless Ford reimburses me, I will never buy another Escape again, nor will I tell everyone about how wonderful of a vehicle they are because they aren't and when you spend that much money on a car...well, when something costly happens like that, the vehicle should be replaced by Ford with no cost to the consumer. An extra $1200 out of my pocket means my family has to go without food.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 172013

Escape

Gas pedal sticks when cold. The gas pedal will lock up and not unlock.

- Madison, GA, USA

Dec 032011

Escape 4-cyl

When attempting to press down on accelerator, it sticks/hangs and will not press down. Has done this repeatedly; most noticeably when the weather is cold.

- Buda, TX, USA

Oct 122011

Escape

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the accelerator pedal became stuck. The contact had to constantly depress the accelerator pedal in order for the vehicle to respond. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Defuniak Springs, FL, USA