8.0

2. disassemble and clean throttle assembly (3 reports)
  3. throttle body replaced (1 reports)
2006 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Nov 142011

Escape XLT 2.3L

I replaced a 2000 Honda with widespread transmission problems that Honda won't address with a 2006 Ford Escape and now I find out it has problems with the accelerator sticking (very dangerous in traffic, you never know when the car will decide to stop moving). Ford is denying any problem too. It has happened numerous times with nothing that I can think of in common--like cold weather, time of day. I am taking it in tomorrow. I have read that replacing or cleaning the throttle body is the fix but that it does not last. Does anybody make a car that they stand behind? From my experience it is no longer Ford or Honda.

- , Greenwood, IN, USA

Jun 222008

Escape LX 2.3L

Love my 2006 escape,but,I have had numerous gas pedal problems and water inside by passenger and driver side.I replaced the gas cable twice I paid once for and I did it myself once 3 months ago ,so far is working fine .About the water inside specially if a I take it to the car wash I read that a bunch of people have the same problem,I'll keep my escape until it dies because I love it, except for the two problems I have with it.

- , Kitchener, ONT, canada

Dec 192011

Escape 3.2L

pedal definitely sticks when cold, and has been intermittently. this last round I couldn't get it to unlock at all. My husband did something where the valve opens & closes at the end of the throttle cable, and it works fine now. It was not all gunked up either. This was real scary - and Ford should really send out information about fixing it.

not everyone knows how to research crap like this.

- , San Leandro, CA, USA

Feb 182011

Escape 4.2L

I started to notice the problem in Feb. of 2011. We had went on a family trip and while running to the store my gas pedal would not go. All I could do was pull over and wait about 10 min and it started going again! Well it did not happen again until last night oct.6,2011. It was my lil boy's birthday so we took them to the fair...and when we came out to go home it did fine for about 5min of going up the road then the gas pedal just stopped again with a line of cars behind me. I managed to get in a parking lot and we had to wait about 15min for it to work and prayed the whole time it did not happen again...well this morning when I got up to get the kids to school I went to pull out of my road on to a very busy hwy and what do you know, it did it again and now its not working at all and its been a hour...going to get it looked at today....but I think FORD needs to do a recall because this is very dangerous....!!!!!!!!!

- , Canon, GA, USA

Oct 012010

Escape V6

This first started back in October 2010. I noticed when it was cold my gas pedal would stick. I did call a ford dealership and asked if they had recalls on this and they said no. Over time the problem has gotten worse. We had lots of hot days in Houston so I didn't notice it again until now. This morning the temperature finally dropped and BOOM!!! My gas pedal had me stranded in the middle of the street. I got out of my car and literally pulled the pedal up and down with my hand. I am so afraid so one is going to rear end me because when the light changes they expect the car in the front to move ahead. I was telling some people at my office about my car problems this morning. An employee of mine found your site and I began reading about others who have experienced the problem. This is very scary and dangerous. I must do something quick!!

- , Missouri City, TX, USA

Nov 012010

Escape

the vehicle runs fine until it gets cold and the gas peddle sticks. Very unsafe when driving in wet,ice and snow due to the wheels spinning.

- , Evergreen Park, IL, USA

May 122010

Escape

This has been an ONGOING problem since Mayat about 55k !! Today I almost missed a job interview because even though I beat the crap out of it with my foot (which has worked in the past) I had to stop the car and let it sit! I tried over and over for 10+ minutes, and it FINALLY started to work. It happens when it's cold, or too hot! this pisses me off and I don't have the funds to fix the damn thing! It has even happened when I decelerate on the freeway, and when I try to pick up speed, IT STICKS ! )(@^%&*%)@&&Y%@) !!! ARRG! How can I let my teenager drive this car when I have no idea if she will crash or get hit because it sticks??

- , Fife, WA, USA

Aug 082010

Escape XLS 2.3L I4

At ~55,000 miles, the vehicle seemed to lag at times when the accelerator was stepped on. Later, at 85,000 miles, there was a definite "sticking" of the accelerator pedal, which led to power loss and abrupt power increase when the pedal would respond.

Eventually, it was deduced that the Throttle Body was sticking at the Butterfly Valve. When the accelerator pedal was stepped on, there would be creaking sounds (like a rusty hinge) coming from the throttle body itself.

The vehicle would usually have this sticking problem when it had been sitting for several hours, but then would smooth out when operating for about 15 minutes.

Anyway, the Throttle Body was removed, cleaned, reinstalled, then the vehicle was road tested. Not only did the sticky pedal feel go away, the accelerator pedal provided refreshingly smooth operation, near instantaneous results to the engine, AND produced a significant power gain when accelerating.

The can of Throttle Body cleaner cost me < $5 US and about an hour of my time (including road testing). The Butterfly Valve had been collecting fine grime with slight coking around the edge of the valve, all due to normal wear and tear. Clean your Throttle Body every ~20,000 miles.

- , Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 072010

Escape

I bought my 2006 ford escape brand new and was not happy at 30,000 miles couldnt press down on the gas peddle. They replaced the throttle body and it was fine until a year and 2 days later. I brought it back in and because it was passed that 2 days (warranty for parts) Ford would not cover my costs. I just had to have it replaced again as of today. I have written to Ford, called them and complained and they basically tell me "its not that bad." I told them when I crash due to their lack of attention to this matter we'll see how bad it is because I'll own them.

EVERYONE I know that owns one of these has this same problem. Anyway since Ford wont help us I will.... its the throttle body and its $250.00 to get fixed (including labor) They know its an issue and this part is always on back order so call ahead. I will never buy another Ford again, horrible customer service

- , Concord, NH, USA

Dec 012009

Escape XLS 2.3L

I noticed that my gas pedal would stick periodically, especially during the winter months. I got off of work late one night and the temperture had dropped onto the 20s and I went to start my truck and it would not start. It cranked fine but the engine would not ignite so I called and had it towed. The mechanic looked at the throttle assembly and noticed that it was severly gunked up causing the throttle to stick in a semi-open position, that was the terminolgy he used so he completely disassembled the throttle assembly, cleaned it and reassembled it in about one hour. It cost me $74 and some change, but it seemed to have solved the problem for now. I know that the Kansas city plant assembles the majority if not all of the ford escapes and I do not think that there is a recall for this problem in the 2006 models. Im thinking that there is only a small amount of complaints about this problem not being enough to warrant a massive recall of the 2006 Ford Escapes.

- , Sardina, Ontario, Canada

Oct 012009

Escape XLT 2.3L

I have two boys under three and this &$@^$&#%$*& sticking pedal has almost gotten me in two accidents trying to start out after a red light or on a right hand turn. I am a certified big rig driving and it is not my driving, I am a professional. This sticky pedal has to be recalled no matter what before people die. Ford is playing a risky rule, but like all others, recalls are written in blood. Pray for us all!!!

- , Hoonah, AK, USA

Jan 012009

Escape

I am also having a problem with the gas pedal sticking. The problem seems to be worse after it sits for a time and has a chance to cool off. Once I have driven it for awhile it does seem to be as bad. has anyone found a solution to the problem? Now I am having issues with the battery as well. It has acted like its ran down then cranks immediately after the spell. However this morning it was completely dead.

- , Rogersville, AL, USA

Sep 162009

Escape XLT 4 cyl

the pedal is sticking on my 2006 escape. Has anyone found a solution or a price to have this repaired.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 312009

Escape XLS

My 2006 Ford Escape recently started having a problem with the gas pedal locking up. Periodcally, it won't depress for a second or two. I didn't see a recall for this issue, but I did see a few other people who have had the same problem. Does anyone have any information on what it is and how much to fix it?

- , Port Reading, NJ, USA

Jun 102006

Escape

If someone knows the correct part to fix this problem, please e-mail me and let me know at aemleelee5@yahoo.com I have a 2 yr old and we have had a problem with the gas pedal sticking NUMEROUS times and Ford can't seem to fix the correct problem. It will not go down when being pushed either while I'm trying to make a left turn across ongoing traffic, at a stop light, etc. It's really dangerous and I see that the models of 2005 and 2006 were recalled, but Ford will not recognize the 2006 models. HELP please before someone in my family or others out there get killed.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

May 052008

Escape

Gas pedal lock up is a serious, dangerous problem. I have searched the internet regarding this complaint and have found many other owners of 2006 & 2007 Ford Escape owners with the same problem. Be careful out there!

- , Jessup, MD, USA

Dec 012007

Escape XLT 3.2L V6

I bought this 2006 Escape right after I got back from Iraq in October 2007. I didn't want to waste all my money like most cats do when they get back from deployment so I settled for a used vehicle. Mind you when I leased it there were only 15,000 miles on it. Then about a month after I had been driving it, the gas pedal would lock up when I first started it. At first I thought maybe it was just because it was winter and it was just sticking because the car hadn't been running long. Now it's just getting progressively worse! Not only do I have to stomp on the gas to move anywhere when I FIRST get in the car, the gas will arbitrarily lock up on me while I'm driving! I literally have to stomp my foot down on the gas in order for the vehicle to accelerate. I even let my poor mother drive it one night and she ended up drifting out onto the road and not knowing how to get the gas pedal to work. She was in hysterics because she thought she was going to get t-boned by oncoming traffic. That's really scary. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want the damn vehicle, I just want my money back. I'm afraid to take it to the auto shop to have it checked out because I don't want to know what else they'll find wrong. Furthermore, I don't want anyone else in my vehicle because if my gas locks up and I end up getting into an accident, I don't want anyone else hurt. Damn you Ford!!! I'm never buying another so long as I can drive.

- , Street, MD, USA