8.3

1. ignition housing has to be replaced (2 reports)
  3. modify ignition cylinder (1 reports)
  4. new ignition switch (1 reports)
2008 Ford Escape accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Feb 102014

Escape XLT 6

Notice that I had to push the ignition switch in harder and harder than one day it wouldn't start, had to get truck towed to shop where they called and said the ignition switch was bad. It had to be replaced along with having to have a locksmith make me another key, this totaled $397.32

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

click to see larger images

have to push key in ignition very hard in order to start have to push key in ignition very hard in order to start

To solve your starting (cranking) problem for the Ford Escape 2008. Remove the ignition cylinder assembly (plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do that). Remove the service cap of the cylinder. You can pry it with a small screwdriver. Place your car key in the cylinder. Remove the retaining ring on the other side. Slowly remove inside sub assembly together with key out of the cylinder (housing assembly). Do not remove key from sub assembly as the tumblers and springs will jump out (that would be a real headache). As shown on the pictures file about 2 to 3 mm off the "turning stop" so that the sub assembly can turn a few more degrees in the housing assembly.

Re-install sub assembly into housing. Attach the retaining ring and re-install the service cap and clamp it.

Re-install ignition cylinder assembly onto your car and your starting problems are over.

Good luck

- , Willemstad, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

May 012013

Escape V6

The ignition switch on my 2008 Ford Escape randomly turns over -- apparently when it feels like it. I have tried reinserting the key and jamming it as deep as I can and sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. There does not appear to be any problem with the battery because as soon as it does turn over it starts immediately without any hesitation from the battery. It appears I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Is there a recall on this issue? After the SNAFU with GM's ignition I am a bit concerned about it. Bit = A LOT. I'm a single woman -- what if I need to start my car immediately and it won't turn over? This could pose security risks I don't even want to think about.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 242012

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

Have a 2008 Escape that we like, BUT-most recent problem serious -and a safety issue-Enough that have contacted Ford and they have responded and are doing a review of situation both at Ford and my Dealership where have purchased many vehicles-all new; might add also very good service department and co-operative in past. Issue--in the last two months or so 0n four different occasions vehicle went into a loss of power steering while on roadways -and last time just two days back when driving into my park space at work-and a co-worker saw the occurrence. I have not left my wife drive the car-she uses my 2000 SEL Ford Van-it is safe.

In same issue the ignition has over the past year gotten more loose--to the point won't connect-start- unless push in real hard- also battery failed-three days back on Sunday-sent my wife up to Hammonton -a Advance Auto -they checked it and said battery tested fine-(I had only put a short charge on it -and of course the 15 mile ride to Advance (Dealerships closed on Sunday-and I did not need battery failure in addition to the messed up ignition-loose. On last service a month back or so Dealership service dept. said would possibly cost $400 to replace -IF More than a module--as labor involved with pulling steering column apart, etc.

I await Ford.com additional replies promised in a 4 or 5 day period before acting--it can only be used locally-to work --just do not trust the vehicle. Will return to Auto Beef with results--it is a great place for folks to check on people having same problems--and let there be no doubt about it -you are not the only one having a similar problem--those that worth writing about are happening to more than just you. Thanks for way to share this problem--it might help others to know that one problem can also create others -in their computer type vehicles today.

- , MaysLanding, NJ, United States

Feb 042011

Escape XLS 2.3L

The thing is its December 2011 and i'm having the same problem again. There should be a recall on this vehicle.

- , Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 092011

Escape XLT 3.0

click to see larger images

This is down right ridiculous. I've been through 2 blow-outs with Ford's Continental noisy tires, 3 trans-coolers,transmission jerks a little forward after a stop at light or sign, seats that stain from something underneath its covers and can't get stains out, peeling paint from in-between door windows, power-steering giving out suddenly (has happened 3x-have to restart truck for power-steering to reactivate), head-liner coming down underneath sun visors, unpleasant smell from vents when running the heat, A/C blowing hot, very low quality floor mats, rear wiper does not lift to clean window, visors are too low to use in sun glare, and now this problem with trying to start the vehicle!!!!!! So much for having a new micro truck!!!! I bought this vehicle in June '07 and everything mentioned above started as early as 4 months from purchase!!!!! My older previous cars had way less problems than this new one, and 4 of them were at least 12 years old.

I do love the road handling of this truck and it's size for me. But I do not think I will ever buy another new one. I am disabled and don't need this headache from a new vehicle. It would have to be at least 3-5 years old and have owner reviews to look into before making a decision. Feel free to reply in the near future if you've experienced the same or similar issues with this '08 Escape

Update from May 25, 2011: I had the same problem 7 mos ago in 10/2010. The electronic ignition switch had to be replaced ($230). The key had to be pushed in very hard then turned. It would take at least 5 tries to get the ignition switch to start the engine. I believe the "housing" that was replaced this May 2011, is the reason for the ignition switch to have gone bad in Oct 2010. The spindle / housing seems to be made of very weak aluminum blend made material that looks like plastic metal if you ask me!

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA