7.7

2. cut out the rust , patch with new metal (4 reports)
  3. sandblast and repaint fenders, bottom of doors and hatch (4 reports)
  4. repaint (3 reports)
2008 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 062015

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Rear fenders both rusting out on the same sports as mentioned here numerous times. Both sides in the exact same sports. I wax this car every week so that's probably how it went longer than most here, before it started to spread. Definitely annoying. Between electrical/transmission/exhaust and now paint, this has been yet another annoying issue with this car. Just poorly made.

Sad, because I still like the looks. Our Honda has 230,000 miles and looks brand new. I give this car the same treatment and change all fluids every 3000-4000 miles. I will not be buying another Ford. Honda for me at this point. I run an auto shop as well...this is not the first time I've seen this, just the first time on my car.

- , Woodbine, MD, USA

Jan 062013

Escape XLT

I bought my 2008 Escape used in October of 2012. About three months later I noticed a bubble in the paint on the rear passenger side. It's now rusty and looks awful. I'm noticing a bit of rust on the drivers side in the same location as the drivers side. This is not ok and it needs to be fixed and not at my expense. I have noticed another vehicle close to my house that has the same problem.

- , Schiller Park, IL, USA

Apr 022015

Escape XLT V4

I HAVE A 4 CYL 08 FORD ESCAPE AND THE BACK QUARTER PANELS UNDER THE WHEEL ARE STARTING TO RUST. NOT VERY HAPPY, $2000.00 TO FIX PROBLEM AND THE REST OF THE CAR IS EXCELLENT. WHAT CAN BE DONE? JUST WENT OFF OF WARRANTY.

- , Aberdeen, MD, USA

Jun 012011

Escape Limited V6

This piece of crap truck has cost me more money in repairs than it is worth. When I bought it they had covered up the rust on the rear

wheel wells on both sides and in the mean time on the driver's side the rust has gone right through. I've tried to do a temporary body fix on my own last fall but over the winter it came back even worse. I don't understand why the vehicle wasn't taken to Ford before the warranty expired and I wish I had thought to take it myself while it still had a little bit left on it.

Would Ford have even fixed it? How does a vehicle get so much rust on the rear wheel wells, inside doors and the back hatch when its hardly considered old. I don't have this kind of money to constantly repair this truck on a monthly basis and then have to worry about body work.

Ford you should be embarrassed to have this kind of crap on the road with your name attached to it. Shame on you.

- , Little Britain, Ontario, Canada

Jan 102013

Escape XLT V4

This also happened to my wife's 2010 Escape with 28,000 miles on it. Ford sent it to a local body shop for repairs. They had the car for almost a week. Less than 5 months later it was rusting again only the warranty had run out by two weeks. Ford refused to do anything about the problem even though they obviously didn't fix it right the first time.

We will never own a Ford product again. They couldn't give them to us. If fact, they can stick their whole company where the sun don't shine!

- , Bartlett, IL, USA

May 012014

Escape XLT 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

rusting rusting rusting rusting

I purchased this as the second owner in 2009 from a dealership, which has since closed shop. I started noticing little rust spots coming through the rear wheel well paint. Then the metal started splitting...WTH? Now the passenger side rear well is rusted out and the paint is rusted off. The driver side is starting also.How ugly and totally non-acceptable. The dealer now tells me that my Escape is out of warranty and basically too bad. The driver door INSIDE of door is starting to rust also. My SUV is garaged and driven to and from work. My husband has a 2005 Chevy Colorado that has not a stitch of rust ANYWHERE!

Why is this Ford so poorly constructed and then they fail to back their product? I also had a water pump go out on me. What a pain that was also! It had to either be brought into a Ford dealership to get fixed, or find someone that has the "propitiatory Ford" based pulley puller because they put the water pump behind a pulley that has to be pulled off the camshaft! My mechanic (and myself for that matter) were truly disgusted. I will NEVER purchase another Ford vehicle again and will buy my next vehicle as far away from a Ford dealership as possible! They will never get any more of my hard earned money in the future. This vehicle will soon become some high school kid's beater vehicle because it is turning into a low class, junky, beater car!

- , Appleton, WI, USA

Sep 132013

Escape V6

Ford should address this issue. I purchased this vehicle from the dealer. it was pretty expensive, but the vehicle was in excellent condition. I'm not even finished paying for this and now it is rusting. I'm not happy.

- , West Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 102014

Escape Limited V6

I bought this Ford Escape two years ago. It was driven by the dealer manager's wife so it was in excellent shape. Now I am noticing a significant amount of rust around both rear wheel wells. I also own a 2000 Olds Bravada with 172,000 miles on it that I use as a work vehicle so it is not babied anymore and it has less rust on it. I'm very disappointed that the Ford will need to have this taken care of or it will look worse than my much older car.

- , Island Lake, IL, USA

Apr 092014

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

About 25 years ago the Japanese developed reliable technology that I though had made rust through a thing of the past. American makers apparently decided soon after that they might as well employ modern rust proofing technology instead of completely going out of business. In the last 20 years, the rust through which was typical for almost all older cars in PA almost completely disappeared.

I was floored when I say the telltale bubbles in the paint running along the wheel well, about 3/4" up from the edge. This was the classic spot for rust through in the 1970's (I had a 78 Capris that I had to essentially remake both fenders above the rear wheels from pop riveted band iron, fiberglass and Bondo on in the late 80's), along with the bottoms of doors and below gas caps. But I thought that such rust, like Bubonic Plague and Mullets was a thing of the past.

Thanks Ford, I didn't know how you did it, but you managed to bring back the 70's. Last Ford we buy.

I expect that, since the rust is coming from below, that I will find MUCH more when I start grinding.

- , Robesonia, PA, USA

Apr 162012

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

Ford's painting methods are sub-standard IMHO.

The paint on the inner rear fender well lip is showing rust again after we had it fixed once.

This should not be happening. We live in Alberta where it is very dry.

Ford would not fix the problem.

Very disappointed.

- , Calgary, Alberta, canada

Mar 142012

Escape LX V4

I SEE THIS PROBLEM ON MANY ESCAPES ON THE ROAD. pAINT SHOULD NOT BE PEELING AND OR RUSTING ABOVE REAR FENDER. I KEEP LOOKING FOR A RECALL BUT NO SUCH LUCK!

- , Cote St Luc, QC, canada

Jul 132011

Escape XLT

I bought a used (1 owner-leased) 2008 Ford Escape XLT which, as one would expect for a 2 1/2 yr old vehicle, appeared to be in great shape. After leaving the dealer I made a stop at the pet store and upon putting the bags in the back I happened to look up at the hatch and noticed bubbling, rusting paint along the seam (about 3 inch long). Upon closer inspection I noticed more rust along the seams on both front doors, inside the wheel wells on the passenger side, and under the hood along the seams. Also, the seats had horrible water? spots on them.

I did research and found out that both of these are known issues for the 2008 Escape. I will never buy a Ford again! Why can Honda, Kia, Toyota and other Japanese car companies make cars that are reliable and have long lasting bodies? I admit the reliability on the US cars is getting better, but the bodies still suck. And, the resale value is loathsome as well. I want my car to look good at 5, 10, 15 years or more for all the hard earned money I spend on it. I just traded the Escape in for a new Honda and there is no looking back.

- , Lodi, OH, USA

Jan 012013

Escape SLX 3.7L V6

Yes I too will never buy another ford. The quality is just not there. I have bubbling paint and rust on rear fenders and on seams on back doors. I also have staining seats that supposedly caused by fire proofing material coming thru the seats in the form of white stains. Ford knows about problems , but has no answer on fixing this problem.

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Escape XLT V6

I love my Ford Escape. HOWEVER, I have had multiple paint issues with it. Rust, rust,rust on both back wheel areas, and on inside door and hatch seams. I took it into the dealer twice for these issues as they started happening within the first 3 years of ownership. They "fixed" the problems at no charge to me, although they acted as though they were doing me a favor.

This summer as my husband was backing into the garage I noticed MORE rust on the passenger side of back wheel. I was Mad ! I fine toothed the body and found more rust coming back on areas where they had supposedly fixed it. By this time my SUV was 5 years old and had a 100,000 miles on it. I figured Ford wouldn't help me since they never responded to my emails about this continuing problem. I took it to a local custom paint shop for an estimate, $1500.00, no guarantees, they would sand blast. I then took it to a local MAACO for 2nd estimate. They said $730.00, 3 days, would sandblast small areas and cut metal out and replace on larger area. No guarantees. I went for MAACO. I am so glad I did. My car feels like like brand new again. It was a lot of money but to get that new car feeling again was worth it. I felt the MAACO was honest in their service and what they delivered. Time will tell on how long it lasts.

- , Richfield, MN, USA

May 122012

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Noticed it around the rear wheels wells. My car has to be a lemon. I have to push the key in extremely hard just to get it started, and the tail lights are constantly going out, the wiper blades stopped working over a year ago, and the blower for air and heat only works when it's turned to max. All this plus having rear back glass blown out over a year ago. Seems like every month something else goes out and Ford says it's not their fault.

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jun 032013

Escape XLT V6

Noticed a few bubbles on the rear wheel well on my Escape a few months ago. It has now rusted on the driver side and the bubbles are worse on the passenger side. Last week dealer took pics and sent to Ford and I learned today they denied to fix it. I am past the warranty but, never expected to have rust on a 08 vehicle that is garage kept. Called Ford customer service and was told no very rudely. Then I called ford headquaters and gave them my case number and thought they would help but, recieved a message 2 hours later saying they couls not help me. My Ford warrantee guide states that Ford and it's dealer have the right to provide post warrantee repairs at the sole descrection of Ford. I guess rust and corrosion is not important enough for them. I feel like a vehicle 6 years old should not have a rust problem. I have a 95 Chevy truck that sits in the weather and there is not a spot of rust on it. I see many Escape owners from earlier year have this problem too. it is a shame that Ford will not fix this corrosion problem. This will be my last Ford ever and I was planning to buy a 2013 before this happened. The Ford dealer gave me a estimate to repair this..1200.00. So this is not small issue to deal with. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this with Ford please let me know.

- , Adolphus, KY, USA

Jun 012010

Escape LXT 3.0L V6

bottom inside of both rear doors and bottom of trunk hatch paint bubbling, peeling and a lot of rust. It seems to be a real quality problem, either primer missing or low quality steel (maybe bad acid bath treatment). I contacted Ford about it and went all the way to the Ford Canada head quarters, which did not care about it at all, like the Ford dealer. The dealer wanted to fix it, but of course would charge me for it. They also said that happens to all cars (a definite lie!). Bottom Line, do not buy Ford anymore, since they do NOT stay behind their product.

- , Innisfil, Ontario, canada

Jul 022009

Escape XLT V6

Noticed rust bubbles on both back fender wells. Initially dealership said they would not cover as "it was not rusted through" - but they finally gave in and agreed this was premature. Fixed at no charge.

- , Perry, OH, USA

Jul 152011

Escape 3.0L V6

We have a silver 2008 ford escape. It has a little over 38900 miles and 3 years old with paint flaking of both rear fenders. Both sides are rusting.

The bottom of the doors and lift gate are also rusting. The SUV is out of bumper to bumper coverage and there is no warranty coverage unless there is perforation in the metal. We had two estimates done, both about 1400 dollars. The fender repainted will require a complete repaint of the entire panel. We fought with Ford and the dealership and they won't pay for it. We have decided to let another body shop patch up the before mentioned parts for around 300 dollars. Then once our extended warranty is up in the next 3 years, we will sell it. I have been a life long fan of Fords, but not anymore. This is the second Ford I have owned with some sort of paint problems.

- , Munroe Falls, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

After washing my car a few weeks back I notice an awful looking spot of surface rust around my sunroof. My wife calls the dealership to report it, and they say rust is not covered in the warranty. What the hell is all the warranty I pay for? What is bumper to bumper warranty? Why did I buy extended warranty if its not going to cover any of Fords mistakes or problems with this vehicle. After 1 min of google searching I find hundreds of other complaints towards FORD on rust issues with their vehicles. How do I go about this now should I just let it rust out in the parking lot? I'm not driving this rust bucket around and it will be the last time I purchase a Ford!!!

- , Robstown, TX, USA