7.3

2. cut out the rust , patch with new metal (3 reports)
  3. repaint (2 reports)
  4. sandblast and repaint fenders, bottom of doors and hatch (2 reports)
2008 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Apr 092014

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

About 25 years ago the Japanese developed reliable technology that I though had made rust through a thing of the past. American makers apparently decided soon after that they might as well employ modern rust proofing technology instead of completely going out of business. In the last 20 years, the rust through which was typical for almost all older cars in PA almost completely disappeared.

I was floored when I say the telltale bubbles in the paint running along the wheel well, about 3/4" up from the edge. This was the classic spot for rust through in the 1970's (I had a 78 Capris that I had to essentially remake both fenders above the rear wheels from pop riveted band iron, fiberglass and Bondo on in the late 80's), along with the bottoms of doors and below gas caps. But I thought that such rust, like Bubonic Plague and Mullets was a thing of the past.

Thanks Ford, I didn't know how you did it, but you managed to bring back the 70's. Last Ford we buy.

I expect that, since the rust is coming from below, that I will find MUCH more when I start grinding.

- , Robesonia, PA, USA

Apr 162012

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

Ford's painting methods are sub-standard IMHO.

The paint on the inner rear fender well lip is showing rust again after we had it fixed once.

This should not be happening. We live in Alberta where it is very dry.

Ford would not fix the problem.

Very disappointed.

- , Calgary, Alberta, canada

Mar 142012

Escape LX V4

I SEE THIS PROBLEM ON MANY ESCAPES ON THE ROAD. pAINT SHOULD NOT BE PEELING AND OR RUSTING ABOVE REAR FENDER. I KEEP LOOKING FOR A RECALL BUT NO SUCH LUCK!

- , Cote St Luc, QC, canada

Jul 132011

Escape XLT

I bought a used (1 owner-leased) 2008 Ford Escape XLT which, as one would expect for a 2 1/2 yr old vehicle, appeared to be in great shape. After leaving the dealer I made a stop at the pet store and upon putting the bags in the back I happened to look up at the hatch and noticed bubbling, rusting paint along the seam (about 3 inch long). Upon closer inspection I noticed more rust along the seams on both front doors, inside the wheel wells on the passenger side, and under the hood along the seams. Also, the seats had horrible water? spots on them.

I did research and found out that both of these are known issues for the 2008 Escape. I will never buy a Ford again! Why can Honda, Kia, Toyota and other Japanese car companies make cars that are reliable and have long lasting bodies? I admit the reliability on the US cars is getting better, but the bodies still suck. And, the resale value is loathsome as well. I want my car to look good at 5, 10, 15 years or more for all the hard earned money I spend on it. I just traded the Escape in for a new Honda and there is no looking back.

- , Lodi, OH, USA

Jan 012013

Escape SLX 3.7L V6

Yes I too will never buy another ford. The quality is just not there. I have bubbling paint and rust on rear fenders and on seams on back doors. I also have staining seats that supposedly caused by fire proofing material coming thru the seats in the form of white stains. Ford knows about problems , but has no answer on fixing this problem.

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Escape XLT V6

I love my Ford Escape. HOWEVER, I have had multiple paint issues with it. Rust, rust,rust on both back wheel areas, and on inside door and hatch seams. I took it into the dealer twice for these issues as they started happening within the first 3 years of ownership. They "fixed" the problems at no charge to me, although they acted as though they were doing me a favor.

This summer as my husband was backing into the garage I noticed MORE rust on the passenger side of back wheel. I was Mad ! I fine toothed the body and found more rust coming back on areas where they had supposedly fixed it. By this time my SUV was 5 years old and had a 100,000 miles on it. I figured Ford wouldn't help me since they never responded to my emails about this continuing problem. I took it to a local custom paint shop for an estimate, $1500.00, no guarantees, they would sand blast. I then took it to a local MAACO for 2nd estimate. They said $730.00, 3 days, would sandblast small areas and cut metal out and replace on larger area. No guarantees. I went for MAACO. I am so glad I did. My car feels like like brand new again. It was a lot of money but to get that new car feeling again was worth it. I felt the MAACO was honest in their service and what they delivered. Time will tell on how long it lasts.

- , Richfield, Minnesota, USA

May 122012

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Noticed it around the rear wheels wells. My car has to be a lemon. I have to push the key in extremely hard just to get it started, and the tail lights are constantly going out, the wiper blades stopped working over a year ago, and the blower for air and heat only works when it's turned to max. All this plus having rear back glass blown out over a year ago. Seems like every month something else goes out and Ford says it's not their fault.

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jun 032013

Escape XLT V6

Noticed a few bubbles on the rear wheel well on my Escape a few months ago. It has now rusted on the driver side and the bubbles are worse on the passenger side. Last week dealer took pics and sent to Ford and I learned today they denied to fix it. I am past the warranty but, never expected to have rust on a 08 vehicle that is garage kept. Called Ford customer service and was told no very rudely. Then I called ford headquaters and gave them my case number and thought they would help but, recieved a message 2 hours later saying they couls not help me. My Ford warrantee guide states that Ford and it's dealer have the right to provide post warrantee repairs at the sole descrection of Ford. I guess rust and corrosion is not important enough for them. I feel like a vehicle 6 years old should not have a rust problem. I have a 95 Chevy truck that sits in the weather and there is not a spot of rust on it. I see many Escape owners from earlier year have this problem too. it is a shame that Ford will not fix this corrosion problem. This will be my last Ford ever and I was planning to buy a 2013 before this happened. The Ford dealer gave me a estimate to repair this..1200.00. So this is not small issue to deal with. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this with Ford please let me know.

- , Adolphus, KY, USA

Jun 012010

Escape LXT 3.0L V6

bottom inside of both rear doors and bottom of trunk hatch paint bubbling, peeling and a lot of rust. It seems to be a real quality problem, either primer missing or low quality steel (maybe bad acid bath treatment). I contacted Ford about it and went all the way to the Ford Canada head quarters, which did not care about it at all, like the Ford dealer. The dealer wanted to fix it, but of course would charge me for it. They also said that happens to all cars (a definite lie!). Bottom Line, do not buy Ford anymore, since they do NOT stay behind their product.

- , Innisfil, Ontario, canada

Jul 022009

Escape XLT V6

Noticed rust bubbles on both back fender wells. Initially dealership said they would not cover as "it was not rusted through" - but they finally gave in and agreed this was premature. Fixed at no charge.

- , Perry, OH, USA

Jul 152011

Escape 3.0L V6

We have a silver 2008 ford escape. It has a little over 38900 miles and 3 years old with paint flaking of both rear fenders. Both sides are rusting.

The bottom of the doors and lift gate are also rusting. The SUV is out of bumper to bumper coverage and there is no warranty coverage unless there is perforation in the metal. We had two estimates done, both about 1400 dollars. The fender repainted will require a complete repaint of the entire panel. We fought with Ford and the dealership and they won't pay for it. We have decided to let another body shop patch up the before mentioned parts for around 300 dollars. Then once our extended warranty is up in the next 3 years, we will sell it. I have been a life long fan of Fords, but not anymore. This is the second Ford I have owned with some sort of paint problems.

- , Munroe Falls, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

After washing my car a few weeks back I notice an awful looking spot of surface rust around my sunroof. My wife calls the dealership to report it, and they say rust is not covered in the warranty. What the hell is all the warranty I pay for? What is bumper to bumper warranty? Why did I buy extended warranty if its not going to cover any of Fords mistakes or problems with this vehicle. After 1 min of google searching I find hundreds of other complaints towards FORD on rust issues with their vehicles. How do I go about this now should I just let it rust out in the parking lot? I'm not driving this rust bucket around and it will be the last time I purchase a Ford!!!

- , Robstown, TX, USA

Feb 102010

Escape V4

click to see larger images

rusting

I first noticed rust near the back wheels 2 years after I bought the truck. I went to the dealership and they fixed it. A few months later I noticed rust on the inside of the tailgate and on the inside of all of the doors so I went to the dealership again and they fixed that as well. Now the warranty is no longer valid since the vehicle has more than 60000 km and the rust near the back wheels is back!! I guess they just fixed it so it lasted until the warranty is gone!

I love the vehicle but this is a major problem, I don't think I'll ever buy another Ford. I am thiking about replacing it before it loses all of its value because of the rust.

- , Laval, QC, Canada

Apr 092010

Escape XLT V6

Well near the back wheels my truck is rusting and it is only 2 years old. Ford said my warranty ran out so there is nothing they can do. I have checked other trucks from the same year and they are rusting in the same area. So that tells me this is a defect and I want all to know about this. I will not longer buy American because there is always something stupid like this going on and they pretend that you are out of your mind. So if you have a 2008 escape you better check for rust before you warranty runs out. I will also be calling my local news station and with luck they will run with this story and I hope the fall out is the same as Toyota.

- , Apple Valley, MN, USA