2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jan 172016

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The rpms increased. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, while attempting to tow the vehicle with the gear shifter in the park position, the vehicle rolled away. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 15V606000 (power train), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Nov 022015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds for a long time, a leak from the rear driver's side of the vehicle was noticed. In addition, the vehicle was losing power. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission failed to engage properly, the axels and parts to the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was then towed to a dealer out of state where axels were replaced but the failure recurred. The contact stated that after several attempts, the vehicle was able to shift gears and the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer again, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced or rebuilt. The vehicle was not repaired and was inoperable. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 15V606000 (power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 192015

The throttle seems to get stuck while I'm driving. I'll push down on the gas pedal, the rpms will go up, but the car won't speed up or respond for a few seconds and then it will finally "catch" and accelerate. Happens often, sometimes from a stop and sometimes when I'm already in motion, even on the highway. I've been having the problem for about a year now, and I only have around 38,000 miles on the car.

- Mead, WA, USA

Sep 092014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,837. Updated 02/18/16

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 252015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While parked, the vehicle was unable to start. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where it was repaired; however, the cause of the failure was unknown. In addition, while at a stop, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact switched off and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence again. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 222015

I have had to have the transmission replaced 3 times. Now I am in the same position again. Ford was no help to me.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA

Nov 112013

3 years ago my radio no longer lights up, the heat & ac only works on high and inside lights don't work. Then in 2013 replaced the transmission with absolutely no warning with 86,000 miles on the vehicle now in 2015 the power steering has gone out on the vehicle and this was recalled in 2014 and I took it to the dealer and they said that they would have covered it if it was within 12 months. It was a week and half over that.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Oct 032015

Acceleration is labored. The vehicle skips gears when driving at a low speed rate. The vehicle will jerk and make noises as it skipping through 2nd and 4th gear. Unfortunately, this happened in traffic at rush hour.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Sep 132015

I was at a red light preceded to go forward when the light changed a wrench symbol appeared and the car would not accelerate there was a semi truck coming at high rate speed so I had pull to the side of the road it was scary situation I could've been killed I like Ford but I probably will not get another one if this is not recalled

- Clayton, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Vehicle displayed a wrench symbol on the dash and vehicle lost power to the wheels. After pulling over and stopping I tried putting the vehicle in drive and it would not move. Then I tried reverse and again it would not move. Had it scanned and it suggested that it was a transmission problem. After reading previous similar complaints Ford should realize that this a serious issue and should take responsibility and put a recall before someone gets seriously injured. The vehicle is seven years old and under 87,000 miles it should not be the owners rresponsibility to correct the problem.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 142011

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape limited edition for my son in college, first, there were problems with the tires which sounded like the tires were going to explode. The noise was so loud and took it to my local dealership and they did nothing. I had the vehicle for approximately six months. The second issue pertained to the steering/suspension and that cost me $900. The dealership constantly states, "just keep your receipts." Today, I contacted sheehy Ford in springfield va regarding the new problem which is the throttle. The vehicle lost power and he could not shift the vehicle at all. The customer service representative looked up the VIN number and informed me my vehicle was not covered. I explained to the gentleman that I was on line and found information that Ford has issued an extended warranty for defective throttle body assemblies and sensors for 10 years or 150,000 miles based on an investigation by the national highway safety administration (NHTSA) for a defect investigation of alleged throttle body failures in 2005-2012 Ford Escapes (complaints from nc). I was informed my vehicle was not covered because only specific VIN numbers were included. I am a single parent and I have put too much money in this vehicle. After reading the comments on line, this vehicle appears to have numerous defects. What does it take for our government to take action, lost of lives" is the dollar more important than people lives" we need to start holding these companies accountable. There is clearly issues with this vehicle and I want Ford to pay for my repairs.

- Kingstowne, VA, USA

Jul 072015

Attempted to pull into uncoming traffic in a 45mph zone, but could not get to more than 10mph. The power train light appeared as a wrench bottom left of steering wheel. Glided/steered car immediatly to closest parking lot and called closest Ford dealership.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 262015

Was diving down the road with my two kids in the car when I heard a pop I looked in my rearview and watched as a small part went bouncing down the road than it slowed down immediately and I couldn't accelerate or drive it stopped dead in the middle of the road I got out and my transmission fluid had gushed out all over the bottom and back rear windshield took it to a garage it is the transmission it needs to totally be replaced I'm guessing the trans cooler was leaking fluid and after the fluid was to low that it literally blew up I don't understand why there has not been a recall the 2008 Ford Escape has the most complaints than any other year it's insaine my car died in the middle of the road on a hill in the middle of no where with two little kids N the car we are so lucky that we didn't get smashed into by someone they better fix this problem I should sue Ford for selling faulty transmissions and not fixing them and I don't understand after all of the complaints you have had why the safety comics ion or the government has not done a recall on this year especially I've read over 800 complaints and R stone has been the. Same thing with my year and moe it doesn't matter how many times the transmission is replaced you get about 24K to 40K before you need to replace them again

- Waterville , ME, USA

Apr 282015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Apr 142015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

In heavy traffic the car lunged as it was going through the turn lane. The car is not shifting correctly between 1 and 2 gears. It stalls and then lunges. This is my wife's car and she was terrified to drive it. We took it to finish line Ford in peoria and they said there was a service bulletin out on this common problem. The 2008 Escape does not shift correctly between 1&2 gears and 3&4 gears. The repair costs $1300 so Ford is making major profit. I was previously offered a service contract to continue the warranty which they point to and say I could have taken it. If Ford was honest and knew about this problem and told everyone that owned a 2008 Escape that failure was going to happen on this transmission then I might have purchased the contract but they with-held information needed to make an informed decision. This lunging is extremely dangerous.

- Brimfield, IL, USA

Mar 272015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down the road at about 30 miles per hour. Slowed down to about 15 to go over a set of railroad tracks. Upon acceleration the engine revved up to 3500 RPM before shifting. At that point the 2nd and 4th gears were no longer available. Diagnostic at Ford indicated the gear band had broken. $4463 repair for a transmission with only 86,000 miles.

- Plymouth , MN, USA

Apr 032015

My wife was driving when she went to take off and the car went to around 3500 RPM before shifting out of first gear. We took it that day to the Ford dealer and it was diagnosed with a broken overdrive band and the car is missing 2nd and 4th gear. I have done a google search of this issue and it is a very common one on this car. There are thousands and thousands of complaints out there. It is so common that when I picked it up at the Ford dealer they told me there was no charge for the diagnosis even though I had not had it fixed yet as they knew exactly what the problem was without taking it apart. They said they see it all the time. If my wife had been pulling into traffic when this happened and was expecting it to take off like normal she could have been in a wreck as the car will not take off like normal. She was very lucky. How Ford can get away with not doing a recall when this is such a common issue is beyond belief. I am now looking at a minimum $1300 bill just to fix that part. That is if I don't do a rebuild or new transmission. This is the 6 cylinder version of this vehicle.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Mar 102015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle failed to shift gears and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road to a complete stop. After few minutes, the vehicle started normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Brooklyn, CT, USA

Mar 102015

Driving down highway car suddenly didn't want to accelerate from stop light. Rpms would surge to 4.5-5,000 but car wouldn't go faster than 20mph until about 100ft. Wrench light came on. Took it to Ford dealer, bands 2 to 4 are broken. Have to get a new transmission for $3,800. An inability to accelerate is a very serious safety issue. Ford_please do the right thing and put a recall on this!

- Summerville, SC, USA

Mar 022015

There is a bad weld on the ac condenser/ transmission cooler estimated cost $800. If not replaced transmission will fail. Found multiple complaints.

- Arvada , CO, USA