2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Nov 202015

Escape

At approximately 134,000 miles while driving on the highway, my car suddenly drastically slowed down quickly, started revving really high and the ┐wrench light┐ came on. This almost resulted in getting rear-ended by the car that was traveling behind me on the highway. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealership for an estimate. Was told the transmission was missing 2nd and 4th gear and the transmission would need to be replaced. Was told by Ford that the cost would be $4,200 to replace the transmission. The band for 2nd and 4th gear broke, sending the vehicle into limp mode (only using 1st and 3rd gear). I found this is a known issue as there are many complaints about this as well as a tsb (#tsb-12-4-8). After further research, I have discovered that this is a common issue with all Ford family vehicles that have the cd4E transmission. I have owned Ford vehicles for over 20 years and have never had this issue. Ford knows that this is a common issue but refuses to assist their loyal customers with a solution. While talking to a Ford service technician about this, I was told that Ford knows about the issue but refuses to do anything about it, leaving the customer to pay to replace something that Ford knows has issues. Does it really take someone to get injured or get killed in order for something to be done about it? if feel that Ford should pay to have the transmission replaced or provide a significant discount if the customer must pay for the replacement.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Jan 272016

Escape

After depressing the accelerator the vehicle RPM's increase but the vehicle speed will not....almost as if the throttle is "sticking." This occurs while the vehicle is in motion.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Escape

Slipping when it goes from third to fourth gear

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Feb 122015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While parked, the vehicle leaked fluid. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was leaking fluid and would need to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer where it was confirmed that the transmission was leaking fluid and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 172016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The rpms increased. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, while attempting to tow the vehicle with the gear shifter in the park position, the vehicle rolled away. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 15V606000 (power train), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Nov 022015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds for a long time, a leak from the rear driver's side of the vehicle was noticed. In addition, the vehicle was losing power. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission failed to engage properly, the axels and parts to the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was then towed to a dealer out of state where axels were replaced but the failure recurred. The contact stated that after several attempts, the vehicle was able to shift gears and the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer again, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced or rebuilt. The vehicle was not repaired and was inoperable. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 15V606000 (power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 192015

Escape

The throttle seems to get stuck while I'm driving. I'll push down on the gas pedal, the rpms will go up, but the car won't speed up or respond for a few seconds and then it will finally "catch" and accelerate. Happens often, sometimes from a stop and sometimes when I'm already in motion, even on the highway. I've been having the problem for about a year now, and I only have around 38,000 miles on the car.

- Mead, WA, USA

Sep 092014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,837. Updated 02/18/16

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 252015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While parked, the vehicle was unable to start. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where it was repaired; however, the cause of the failure was unknown. In addition, while at a stop, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact switched off and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence again. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 222015

Escape

I have had to have the transmission replaced 3 times. Now I am in the same position again. Ford was no help to me.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA

Nov 112013

Escape

3 years ago my radio no longer lights up, the heat & ac only works on high and inside lights don't work. Then in 2013 replaced the transmission with absolutely no warning with 86,000 miles on the vehicle now in 2015 the power steering has gone out on the vehicle and this was recalled in 2014 and I took it to the dealer and they said that they would have covered it if it was within 12 months. It was a week and half over that.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Oct 032015

Escape

Acceleration is labored. The vehicle skips gears when driving at a low speed rate. The vehicle will jerk and make noises as it skipping through 2nd and 4th gear. Unfortunately, this happened in traffic at rush hour.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Sep 132015

Escape

I was at a red light preceded to go forward when the light changed a wrench symbol appeared and the car would not accelerate there was a semi truck coming at high rate speed so I had pull to the side of the road it was scary situation I could've been killed I like Ford but I probably will not get another one if this is not recalled

- Clayton, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Escape

Vehicle displayed a wrench symbol on the dash and vehicle lost power to the wheels. After pulling over and stopping I tried putting the vehicle in drive and it would not move. Then I tried reverse and again it would not move. Had it scanned and it suggested that it was a transmission problem. After reading previous similar complaints Ford should realize that this a serious issue and should take responsibility and put a recall before someone gets seriously injured. The vehicle is seven years old and under 87,000 miles it should not be the owners rresponsibility to correct the problem.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 142011

Escape

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape limited edition for my son in college, first, there were problems with the tires which sounded like the tires were going to explode. The noise was so loud and took it to my local dealership and they did nothing. I had the vehicle for approximately six months. The second issue pertained to the steering/suspension and that cost me $900. The dealership constantly states, "just keep your receipts." Today, I contacted sheehy Ford in springfield va regarding the new problem which is the throttle. The vehicle lost power and he could not shift the vehicle at all. The customer service representative looked up the VIN number and informed me my vehicle was not covered. I explained to the gentleman that I was on line and found information that Ford has issued an extended warranty for defective throttle body assemblies and sensors for 10 years or 150,000 miles based on an investigation by the national highway safety administration (NHTSA) for a defect investigation of alleged throttle body failures in 2005-2012 Ford Escapes (complaints from nc). I was informed my vehicle was not covered because only specific VIN numbers were included. I am a single parent and I have put too much money in this vehicle. After reading the comments on line, this vehicle appears to have numerous defects. What does it take for our government to take action, lost of lives" is the dollar more important than people lives" we need to start holding these companies accountable. There is clearly issues with this vehicle and I want Ford to pay for my repairs.

- Kingstowne, VA, USA

Jul 072015

Escape

Attempted to pull into uncoming traffic in a 45mph zone, but could not get to more than 10mph. The power train light appeared as a wrench bottom left of steering wheel. Glided/steered car immediatly to closest parking lot and called closest Ford dealership.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 262015

Escape

Was diving down the road with my two kids in the car when I heard a pop I looked in my rearview and watched as a small part went bouncing down the road than it slowed down immediately and I couldn't accelerate or drive it stopped dead in the middle of the road I got out and my transmission fluid had gushed out all over the bottom and back rear windshield took it to a garage it is the transmission it needs to totally be replaced I'm guessing the trans cooler was leaking fluid and after the fluid was to low that it literally blew up I don't understand why there has not been a recall the 2008 Ford Escape has the most complaints than any other year it's insaine my car died in the middle of the road on a hill in the middle of no where with two little kids N the car we are so lucky that we didn't get smashed into by someone they better fix this problem I should sue Ford for selling faulty transmissions and not fixing them and I don't understand after all of the complaints you have had why the safety comics ion or the government has not done a recall on this year especially I've read over 800 complaints and R stone has been the. Same thing with my year and moe it doesn't matter how many times the transmission is replaced you get about 24K to 40K before you need to replace them again

- Waterville , ME, USA

Apr 282015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Apr 142015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

In heavy traffic the car lunged as it was going through the turn lane. The car is not shifting correctly between 1 and 2 gears. It stalls and then lunges. This is my wife's car and she was terrified to drive it. We took it to finish line Ford in peoria and they said there was a service bulletin out on this common problem. The 2008 Escape does not shift correctly between 1&2 gears and 3&4 gears. The repair costs $1300 so Ford is making major profit. I was previously offered a service contract to continue the warranty which they point to and say I could have taken it. If Ford was honest and knew about this problem and told everyone that owned a 2008 Escape that failure was going to happen on this transmission then I might have purchased the contract but they with-held information needed to make an informed decision. This lunging is extremely dangerous.

- Brimfield, IL, USA

Mar 272015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down the road at about 30 miles per hour. Slowed down to about 15 to go over a set of railroad tracks. Upon acceleration the engine revved up to 3500 RPM before shifting. At that point the 2nd and 4th gears were no longer available. Diagnostic at Ford indicated the gear band had broken. $4463 repair for a transmission with only 86,000 miles.

- Plymouth , MN, USA