2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Feb 022014

Escape

When I started my vehicle, a warning light in the shape of a wrench stayed on. I look in the manual and this said powertrain. Upon further checking, I found this is a problem in these Escapes. When I stop at the railroad track or at a red light, the vehicle will surge forward when I take off. The shifting is rough at times. I also just had to have the dome light in the vehicle replaced. This, too, I was told was a common problem. The lights would not work when I opened the door and also the dash lights would go off and on. This was a $103.88 repair job and the dome light, after being replaced, is loose and does not fit properly. When this having to be replaced frequently, I would think there would be a replacement light that fit the roof correctly.

- Lynnville, TN, USA

Jan 192014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while sitting at a stop light, the rpms increased excessively. In addition, the vehicle hesitated between first and second gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the 2-4 band needed to be replaced in the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Jan 122014

Escape 4-cyl

When I would come to a stop or even start to slow down and start to go again my car (transmission) would jump, rev up to 4/5 rpms and stall in the middle of traffic, I would take my foot off the gas as soon as it would do this and it would do the same thing without me even on the gas, always twice meanwhile again stalling in the middle of traffic. My (wrench) light also came on which showed powertrain/control throttle. After taking it to a Ford dealership they are quoting me $3500 to fix the problem oh and did I mention my warranty ended a month in a half ago! I know I have seen many others this is happening to and sincerely believe Ford is not standing behind their product or wanting to admit there is a problem.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Nov 042013

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test where the dealer stated that the transmission cooler was defective and needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the transmission cooler. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Nov 122013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway 595 speed of 65 mph the car just lost power causing to reduce speed fast with no prior warning. Had to move from the far left lane to the right lane on rush hour almost causing an accident.

- Weston, FL, USA

Nov 062013

Escape

I put it in reverse and it would stall and then punch in and take off. Then I would put it into drive and the same thing would happen. It was kind of scary. If someone was in front of me I could have hit them. That happened a few times and finally it wouldn't move at all. My transmission just quit on me. With only 66,000 miles on it and I still owe $15,600 on it now as a single mother of two I have to try to come up with $3700 to fix this"???? this vehicle just got broken in with 60,000 miles on it. I'm so upset. This should never happen and after doing research it happens all the time with this vehicle! where is the recall on it" I should not have to pay for this!

- Winneconne, WI, USA

Nov 022013

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated and shifted out of gear. The contact mentioned that the wrench warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician diagnosed that the second and fourth gears malfunctioned. As a result, the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Weirton, WV, USA

Sep 232013

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while parked, the contact attempted to shift into reverse and failed to engage without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the mechanic stated that the cooling pump system in the transmission had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure and current mileage was 112,000. The VIN was not available.

- Twin Valley, MN, USA

Sep 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle will not shift gears until 3250-3750 RPM. Wrench warning light turns on.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Sep 132013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was accelerating onto the interstate my 2008 Ford Escape surged and speed decelerated. The wrench warning symbol came on which is the "throttle/powertrain" warning light. The RPM's go as high as 4,000 RPM's before it changes gears. I took it into aamco to find out what the problem was, they said the transmission has to be replaced $3,000 so I brought it to the Ford dealership which is looking into the problem now. As I read all the complaints about this same issue a recall should be issued, not just a service bulletin. Ford needs to stand by its product and correct there mistakes. I feel this is a strong safety issue as it makes the vehicle very unsafe to drive.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 4-cyl

My vehicle has less that 55,000 miles on it and I am having tons of problems with the transmission slipping. I should not be having these issues. I am very strict when it comes to changing my oil and having things serviced on this vehicle. I should not be having transmission issues, especially at under 60,000 miles. I feel Ford should step up to the plate. They know there is issues with this models transmissions. Please help, any advise welcome.

- Stanford, KY, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 4-cyl

Just had the transmission on my 2008 Ford Escape give out on me. After reading multiple articles on the web, I saw it was a common issue with Ford. Apparently there was a service notice for a Ford car with the same transmission as my Escape. I find it ridiculous that I have less than 50K miles on my vehicle and now am having to fix the transmission. I feel like Ford should fix this issue at no cost to me because they are using faulty transmissions. That they know are defective.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 302013

Escape 6-cyl

I was accelerating up a hill, when I noticed that it did not have any power. The car would rev up but not change gears. When I got it to the dealer they said an intermediate band broke on the transmission. Apparently the Escape is known for transmission problems. The 2nd and 4th gears go out on them. Ford would not pay for any of the repair which was $1358.41. This is the second Escape I had with transmission problems. Needless to say I will never buy a Ford SUV again.

- Red Lion, PA, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving home, came to a stop (red light) when it was time to go I pressed on the gas pedal and my truck wouldn't moved, then I let go of pedal and did it again and my truck jolted and started moving. As I was driving and trying to increase speed my truck would shift..if I tried to pass 30 mph it felt like it was decreasing. Every time I came to a full stop it kept repeating the same situation, press gas pedal and no movement. It was pretty scary because here in California there are fast drivers and I was afraid that if my car wouldn't go any faster I would be hit, and I had my son and nephew in the car. This is very disappointing, never did I ever have issues with Ford til now and what makes it worse there are no warnings it just happens. Now its costing more then $300 dollars to fix this. But who is to say that after I spend all that money this wont happen again. I should be driving a vehicle that hasn't been recalled and the dealer should have contacted me about this and fixed it.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle fails to accelerate properly after a complete stop. RPM's are raised to high before the transmission shifts into 2nd gear.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jul 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle startup is very slow and after 35 mph changeup makes a very strong and when I stop at traffic lights come back again the same problem.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Addendum: Original NHTSA#10283836 (Sept 2009) bought certified used 2008 Ford Escape in 2009. Before the first payment, the transmission cooling assembly blew, dumping the transmission fluid onto my driveway (part #8L8Z-19712-J, tsb 09 09 04). Mileage: 21,775. Cost of $1000+ repair was covered under warranty. Fast forward, May 2013 (mileage: 59,391). As predicted back in 2009 by many here on this website: Complete transmission failure. It died in 2 lanes of traffic, as I blocked vehicles, no forward or reverse gears. My transmission fluid was flushed: 2009, 2011, 2012, and topped off otherwise; measures I took to protect against this exact failure. Yet it completely failed, <60,000 odometer miles. This $3000 repair was covered under the extended powertrain warranty. Current warranty: Now 12 months/12,000 miles. Minus tow truck, 2 missed work days, and loss of use of my vehicle for 3 weeks. It is entirely possible this dangerously flawed design (sharing an ac/transmission condenser) will fail yet again, even as soon as 6 months. There is no manufacturer recall. The condenser assembly allows the fluid to remain chronically low for long periods. I topped my fluids regularly & proactively flushed 3 times in 4 years, yet the transmission still burned up and failed. Note the repetition of the word "burnt" in the technician notes, even though the transmission fluid levels were listed as ok. The condenser assembly (w/ ac & transmission sharing a condenser w/ a flawed weld that bursts), and the chronic problem w/ the electronic power steering that completely freezes the steering column in place on failure are huge safety issues. Tragedy is predicted. Followed w/ class action lawsuit. Memos will reveal discussions all along regarding the epic fail of the 2008 Ford Escape. Our safety and major inconvenience are minor collateral damage.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 032013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2008 Ford Escape's transmission started slipping while in overdrive. It then went out and revved up to 5,000 RPM's and would not move while in over drive or drive on the interstate causing me to almost get rear ended. I had to shift to second gear and limp it home.

- Marietta, OH, USA

May 262013

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 10 mph, the vehicle revved but failed to accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the second and fourth gears would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 66,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 272013

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while the vehicle was having routine maintenance performed, the technician found that transmission fluid was leaking from the condenser at an alarming rate. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 27,400.

- Canton, OH, USA