2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 9)

Jan 282010

My 2008 Ford Escape has 'sprung' a transmission fluid leak causing my accelerator to 'rev' instead of driving properly and changing gears efficiently. If fluid gets too low, the rear end makes a loud thud noise when it kicks into gear. My SUV only has 39,555 miles on it, but since it is over the 36,000 miles, I no longer have any bumper to bumper warranty. This leaking seal is not covered by the 60,000 power train warranty as this is an external transmission part, and not an internal transmission part. As transmission fluid is designed to flow through the air conditioning coolant system, I now have to pay $800 to have this replaced. I have been told this is not a good design. Also, after researching this vehicle, I see there are other Escape owners experiencing the same problem. My transmission first acted up last week. I will be having it fixed at mike reichenbach Ford in florence, SC this Monday, February 8, 2010. This is not good...needless to say, I am a very dissatisfied Ford customer. We have owned several in the past. My husband was planning on purchasing a 2010 F150 truck, but has now said he will not. We feel very let down by Ford. This SUV should not have sprung a leak this soon.

- Freeport, OH, USA

Oct 202009

My 2008 Ford Escape, (not hybrid), is leaking transmission fluid at 40K miles. The Ford dealership says they regularly see this problem. I have a lease and my warranty expired at 36K miles. Ford says they will not cover under warranty. Called Ford corporate in dearborn mich. They too agree this is a common occurrence in this year, make and model. They said a tsb, (technical service bulletin), has been issued, but no recall yet. Advised me to "save my receipt". this was my first Ford purchase and definitely my last.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 272009

Transmission cooler leaking on 2008 6cyl Ford Escape causing transmission to act erratically vibrates and lurch forward due to loss of transmission fluid. Also a fire hazard as undercarriage and radiator have heavy deposits of transmission fluid. Car has only 41,000 miles and majority of mileage has been on interstate. Currently car is in repair shop awaiting replacement parts. From complaints on internet this is a recurring problem for Ford Escapes and is not being addressed by Ford. Some of the complaints advised of near accidents due to this manufacturing defect. Ford should be forced to recall all 2008 Ford Escapes and reimburse all owners who have had to absorb the repair costs due to the manufacturing defect.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Aug 192009

2008 Ford Escape--leaking transmission fluid---brought to dealer--crack in transmission cooler. Not covered under Ford's warranty or extended warranty we bought with the car. Ford will not do anything about it.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Feb 282009

We bougt a 2008 Ford Escape limited almost two years ago, it now has 70,000 miles and transmission is starting to go out., and when we took it to the dealership they said the compressor and the gearbox needed to be replaced. The trasmission fluid pours out and it shifts so hard into first and second gear that tires spin.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Apr 262008

On leaving the lot a high vibration came thru the gas pedal at 1500 RPM's. I returned back to the dealer and was told to let it break in. After 1 month it did not go away and brought it in to service. 1st attempt they did nothing and was told to give them 2 weeks. 2nd attempt was then done and they re tied the gas cable and the problem didn't go away. The gave up and told me to call Ford. With Ford on the 3rd attempt replaced the shaft and made it worse. Now it vibrate and has a lingering buzzing sensation till 2000 rpms. They acknowledge the issue and are claiming it is normal, which no other vehicle except the Ford Escape has with the V6 engine, the V4 doesn't have this issue. This issue has been document on forums with the 2006 Escape having the same issues. Ford is also refusing to follow the lemon law by refunding my money since they cannot fix the problem and are not even offering an exchange as per law.

- Howell, NJ, USA