2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 14 of 29)

Jan 312014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate and lost steering! by the grace of god I was not killed by a tractor trailer that was next to me. My husband grabbed the wheel as it was locked and we barely made it to the side of the road. Had it towed to Ford. They said there was a tsb and they thought it had a bad sensor. That wasn't the problem. After two weeks of having the car, they replaced the steering column. I paid the $2,000. Bill but don't think I should have to as Ford should be recalling these vehicles! there are many instances of the same situation people have had that I found online. Locally I complained, and the Ford regional office denied my request. I wrote to Ford's president and did not get a reply. If I had died and it got into the news, they would step up, but I am sure they are assessing which would have more financial impact on them. It is clear they do not care about their customers lives. Instead of recalling, they are staying mum. What a shame and a refection on the company.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Mar 132014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

After starting my car to leave the parking lot from my work, I noticed that the power steering wasn't working as I was backing out. I pulled back into my spot, put the vehicle in park, shook the steering wheel to try to get it to work, and nothing. I turned the vehicle off, restarted it, still nothing. I restarted it once more, shook the wheel while starting the engine and it worked fine. I now have to wiggle the steering wheel while starting the vehicle to make sure that the power steering assist turns on.

- Withee, WI, USA

Apr 082014

Escape 6-cyl

Experienced frequent loss of power steering at speed and at stop a few months ago. Replacing the battery resolved it for 2 months. Then it started again when in tucson. Extreme wobble in the steering column at all times. Restarting the car helped reset power steering for the first 2 days if the car lost power steering while at rest. Restarting the car at speed is not possible and losing power steering is pretty sudden and scary. Was driving at 70mph on interstate 10 and lost power steering several times. Had to pull over with available manual steering, which was hard. Researched online and found similar issues with the 2008 Ford Escape--loss of power steering both at rest and at speed. Filing complaint.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Escape

At first the power steering didnot work upon starting car, restarted and it worked. As time went on this got worse, having to restart several times and now once power steering works it will go off anytime even just driving straight on the highway. Also when power steering is working the steering wheel shakes. This should be a recall as there have been so many complaints that Ford has offered a torque sensor kit instead of having to replace the whole steering column.

- Embden, ME, USA

Mar 132014

Escape 6-cyl

I am writing to you to seek help on sending a formal complain to Ford Motor Co. To investigate an issue with the 2008 Ford Escapes where the steering wheel locks in while driving. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal because it has happened only once so far with my 2008 Ford Escape on 3/13/14 when I was taking my younger daughter to school. I couldn't really move the car and it got so stiff turning left or right that I thought I was going to break the thing. I turned it off and turned it back on right away and nothing happened and I got saddened because I had a field trip to go to that day with my daughter. I decided to go but it was "painful" driving the SUV with a very stiff wheel....parking the car at the field trip location it was pretty bad because I couldn't turn the car, I ended up using 2 parking spaces.I asked one of the parents about the issue and he asked me if it was leaking oil, etc(no leaks)... the weird thing that happened later that day when he checked my car, it was fine, like nothing has happened.....time went by and after hearing the last few days in the news about GMC complaints and issues never reported, I did a search engine on the web about issues with Ford Escapes. I went to "carcomplaints.com" and found out that there are over 160 complains about the same issue as mine in different parts of the country and no solutions, no recalls from Ford. I sent an email to Ford Motor Co. With no response and I decided to contact 10tv investigates to start"something" about this problem. Now more than ever I will be driving nervously thinking when the stiffness issue is going to happen again and god forbid get into an accident.

- Bexley, OH, USA

Mar 212014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while at a stop sign with the vehicle idle the steering wheel jerked to the left independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering column assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 124,693.

- Lakes Stephens , WA, USA

Mar 032014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving at no particular speed the vehicle lost power steering without warning and the steering wheel was very hard to turn. The power steering was engaged when the vehicle was turned off and restarted. This failure occurred thirty times over a period of a month. The vehicle was not taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Dansville, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Escape

My power steering keeps going out and on and out and on at any rate of speed. I can't afford the $1500 to replace it since I just had my transmission replaced at $4,000 it is a big safety issue and I've seen 1000 other complaints online. Ford needs to do a recall. This is ridiculous. GM just did a recall and it is the same part. Can someone help with this matter please?

- Earlville, IL, USA

Jan 152014

Escape 4-cyl

Power steering went out. Was near home and able to get vehicle into driveway. After shutting off and re-starting power steering worked. Steering wheel vibrated while driving until repair made.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

Once again, my power steering failed and had to reset it. Is Ford waiting for a lawsuit or a death to recall this hazard? if someone's vehicle does this while at highway speeds- a lawsuit is waiting to happen.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Escape 6-cyl

!St time started to leave, no assist. Drove short distance to my home. Hard to steer but drivable. Second time my wife was driving and started to make a turn, no assist. Was arriving at destination. Both times when the car was restarted the power assist worked normally. The 2 above incidents were about 2 weeks apart.the loss of assist wile driving was on 04-01-14.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 052014

Escape

Was driving and taking a turn when the power steering went out. Stopped the car and then shut it off. When I restarted the car the power steering was back on. However, there was considerable shaking in the steering wheel with a rattling noise coming from the steering column. This was only the latest incident. Earlier in the morning when I started my car there wasn't power steering. I turned the car off and then on again at which time it worked. This has been going on for about a month happening maybe 1 or 2 times a week. The shaking and noise from the steering column is getting louder while idling.

- Chisago City, MN, USA

Feb 072014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the street and my power steering stopped working for the third time in a month causing me to run off the road because I couldn't make the next turn. If I pull over, turn off the car, and restart then it works fine. If I was going any faster, this could have been fatal.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 212014

Escape

I was driving in town and all of a sudden my power steering locked up and would not release. Usually if you put the car in park, shut it off, let it sit fore awhile then start it back up it well eventually release. However, it happens regularly and is a dangerous thing to have happen suddenly.

- Farmington, NY, USA

Feb 162014

Escape 6-cyl

I was attempting to leave a gas station when the power steering failed. Turned the vehicle off for about 10 seconds, then on again. Still no power steering. With great difficulty and with no power steering, backed away from the gas pump to an out-of-the-way area. Turned the vehicle off then on again. Power steering returned. I checked online to find that other Ford/Escape owners have experienced the same thing. It also happened again two weeks later at another location.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Jan 032014

Escape

Power steering stopped working while turning corner--car hit mail box @ 10mph. Power steering goes out anytime.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Jan 012011

Escape 4-cyl

When I start the ignition en various occasions I don't have power steering I have to turn the ignition on and off multiple times until I regain power steering. While I'm driving my steering wheel starts trembling and shaking. When that occurs and I come to a stop I loose my power steering. I have to turn the ignition on and off multiple times until I regain power steering.

- Cedar City, UT, USA

Mar 242014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds the steering wheel began to pull and shake to the left and right. The power steering also shuts off entirely while driving, and randomly when starting the car. The car is incredibly difficult to steer when this occurs, making it almost impossible for me to drive. Shutting off and restarting the car will sometimes restart the power steering, but the shaking and pulling does not stop.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Mar 212014

Escape 6-cyl

This is the fourth time that the powering steering has gone out on my Escape. I have reported the other incidents as well. Just impatiently waiting for Ford to recall this issue that is life threatening!! these last two times have been at a low rate of speed thank goodness! its really scary when the steering goes out while driving. I really like my vehicle but I think I am going to trade it so driving will be less stressful for me, even though I have invested thousands of dollars in this vehicle. Ford sucks and needs to help save lives... I will not buy Ford again, this neglect really makes me angry!

- Airville, PA, USA

Feb 262014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned as the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact stopped the vehicle and turned the engine off. After restarting the engine the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column was faulty and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. No additional information was available. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Norwich, ND, USA