2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 17 of 29)

Feb 272014

Escape 4-cyl

I was going to drive home from work, upon going to back out of my parking space I realized I had no power steering. I had no choice but to drive the vehicle home, 25minutes on the freeway. After getting home and going to take the vehicle to the mechanic the steering was fine. Mechanic said it was electronic and had to be repaired at the dealer. While researching the part this evening I found hundreds to thousands of the same complaint. Just emailed Ford from their website, will also try calling on Monday. This part failure is going to cause serious injury, accident or death and needs to be investigated and recalled.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Escape 6-cyl

Power steering stopped working pulled over stopped engine restarted steering working again google problem when I returned home found many angry people with same problem. Seems to be a problem that is not an easy fix and common to the steering of the 2008 Ford Escapes.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jan 152014

Escape

No power steering upon vehicle start up. Power steering returns after turning off and restarting vehicle 1-4 times.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Dec 192013

Escape 4-cyl

Our Ford Escape lost power steering right as were going into a curve in the road. There was not warning that this was going to happen. Lucky I was able to get the vehicle stopped. Once I turned the car off and back on again the steering started to work. This problem started to happen more often which prompted me to research what the problem was. I was surprised to discover that many Ford Escape owners have experienced the same problem. Everything I have read states the steering column is faulty and needs replaced. This is a serious safety concern since this is my wife's daily driver.

- Ephrata, WA, USA

Mar 012014

Escape 4-cyl

Power steering quit while driving down the road. Could not get the vehicle off the road fast enough for on coming traffic. I see that there had been quite a few complaints with the same problem. Not sure why a recall has not been made.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Feb 262014

Escape

Power steering works intermittently steering wheel has a slight twitch most definitely a safety hazard when it just randomly stops seems to be a common issue among Ford Escapes.

- Barry , IL, USA

Feb 172014

Escape

At first it was hard to start unless I pushed the key in while starting then the power steering just went out totally. The steering wheel also vibrated when sitting and idling prior to the steering going out.

- Carlyle, IL, USA

Dec 112013

Escape

TL - the contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 35 mph the steering wheel started to shake and vibrate, it then became hard to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the steering shaft position sensor malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 84,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 252014

Escape 4-cyl

Steering wheel stopped working, no power steering at all. Now when you sit still the steering wheel jitters and a klicking sound from where steering goes thru firewall. Power steering working again but still nervous about it. Car is now setting at auto mechanic.

- Independence, MO, USA

Dec 172013

Escape

Sometimes when the vehicle is started the power steering doesn't work, and when it does the steering wheel shakes when the vehicle is idling as well as when it's driving.

- Twin Lake, MI, USA

Feb 102014

Escape 6-cyl

Teenage daughter driving to school when electric power steering failed without warning. Obviously it is the power portion only that fails, but sudden loss of power assist in a vehicle the size of a Ford Escape for a young driver is rather traumatic. Had it been at highway speed on a corner (like 5 minutes earlier) instead of a parking lot the results could have been horrible. Researching the NHTSA website I see this is an extremely common complaint for such a relatively new vehicle.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Feb 062014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was shut off and restarted however, the failure was sporadic. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Fremont, WI, USA

Feb 122014

Escape

I was pulling my 2008 Ford Escape out of the driveway when the power steering failed. The ignition was turned off and then turned back on and problem seemed to resolve. However, that was 2 weeks ago and it has been happening every day since. Also, the steering wheel now vibrates from side to side all the time. The vehicle only has 56,000 miles on it! I'm concerned that it might go out while I'm driving. It's a costly repair that our family can't afford. I've seen thousands of complaints on multiple websites. How can Ford not issue a recall? this is a huge safety issue!!

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Feb 222014

Escape 6-cyl

The power steering on my 2008 Ford Escape just went out, before it went out the steering wheel moved left to right on its own at a idle. Soon after that there was no power steering at all. I called the dealership and they said they where not aware of any problems and that I should bring it in and have it looked at. After searching for this problem I found out there are very many complaints with the same year make and model as the one I own even the same mileage at the point of break down. This is very dangerous it works when it wants to, the repair is close to $2,000 and I'm wondering why there is no recall on this issue considering lives could be lost very easily if it decides to go out during a sharp turn or at faster highway speeds.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Feb 142014

Escape

My wife complained one day the steering column was shaking. Then a few days later she said the power steering was not working. To get it to work, she turned the ignition on and off until it worked. I drove it a few days later and found the column shaking violently. The next morning, the battery was dead. Apparently the sensor in the column did not tell the ignition to turn off and it drained the battery. Tow truck started the battery, I drove it to the dealer and they tell me it will be $1000. Ridiculous. I have never heard nor have my friends heard of this type of issue in a car with less than 200,000 miles. Dealer says this is infrequent but from my reading on this site I am doubting their word. Ford should be more helpful with this. Share the cost or repair for free. This is a severe safety issue. Other than fires, or brakes can you imagine a more serious issue.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Feb 042014

Escape

Power steering all of sudden went out while I was driving.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 172014

Escape 4-cyl

Suddenly I began hearing a clicking noise in the dash of my 2008 Escape with 96,800 miles. Next I began hearing a raspy noise in the steering column. While in idle my steering wheel jerks to the left and right on it's own. Both the jerking and the noises come and go with out any prior warning. This seems to be a major issue in many of the 2008 Escapes, and someone is going to get seriously injured or killed. I contacted Ford and they acted like they new nothing of the issue. Until this point I have been pretty pleased with my vehicle, but the fact that Ford has not had a recall after so many incidents, makes me not want to buy a Ford ever again. My mechanic has suggested I replace the electronic steering column. The cost will be around $1300 with parts and labor.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Feb 022014

Escape 6-cyl

Was making a lft hand turn out of my church parking lot and steering became impossible. It took both hands turning with all my strength to make the turn. When arriving home I had to get a male person to get the car into my parking spot as I could not. He turned the car off and it sat for 10 min or so and then worked just fine. I am scared to death this will happen again during heavier traffic times.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Feb 022014

Escape 6-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape on September of 2013 everything was running properly until the month of February 2,2014 my power steering began to get difficult to turn when I turned off the ignition and back on again it would resume to its normal procedures. Also the steering column shakes when I start the vehicle it now it occurs more than before my concern is driving and it would lock up causing an accident.I have taken my vehicle for an estimate which will be around 1400 to 1500 being that I am barely purchasing I am unable to fix this problem.. this however is a great concern for other persons with problem this definitely should be a recall alert!!!

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Feb 142014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated the power steering failed. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 109000.

- Erie, PA, USA