2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 19 of 29)

Feb 012014

Escape

I was driving in the neighbor hood and my electronic steering failed. I was able to drive it to the nearest car shop and they took a look at it. They informed me the electronic steering chip was going bad. So it will work at times and then it will fail again. This is a major safety concern. I am a bigger guy so I can handle not having steering assist. However if this happens when not expecting it, it could easily cause an accident. There is a growing list of complaints online with people having the same problem.

- Farmingtion, MN, USA

Jan 302014

Escape

Clicking noise followed by loss of power steering assist. Restarting the engine allows for restoration of power to steering. Hundreds of reports of other electric assist units failing. Ours has not recurred, but we drive two lane roads to and from work. If this happens again at some points it could lead to bad crash. Ford knows of the issue, and it only a matter of time until someone is killed.

- Pleasant Grove, AR, USA

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the power steering assist failed to operate without warning. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle to allow the system to reset. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic power steering module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 100,000. Updated 03/12/14

- May View, MO, USA

Jan 222014

Escape

Vehicle started with a jerking motion in steering wheel. Then progressed into sporadic loss of power steering. No warning lights. Turning the engine off then back on released the steering wheel. If so many people are complaining about this Ford needs to recall it. It is not about regular vehicle maintenance this is a product of failure.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 052014

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, he attempted to make a right turn when the power steering assist malfunctioned and the steering wheel started pulling in the opposite direction. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the power steering assist module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 175,000. Updated 04/14/14 updated 04/22/14

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 252014

Escape

As I was yielding the right away from oncoming highway traffic, I turned into the turning lane and felt something didn't feel right. As I straighten out my wheel to proceed to go forward the power steering was out. At this time I was heading out town and thankful I was not that far from home. I began to head back home and grab another vehicle so I was able to meet my appointment. After researching this problem I noticed there were several complaints on this exact issue. It infuriates me because we just bought this vehicle for our 16 year old daughter as her first car. How many deaths will have to occur before they recall this" all I"M seeing on this vehicle for recall are seat covers, how ridiculous does that sound. They know that if you have the heat on in the vehicle that the sensor overheats that it will cause this then why are they not coming up with something to correct it. A concerned mother of a teenage daughter.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 282014

Escape

As many other customer complaints have stated, my power assist has gone out, and it is very difficult to steer the car. During the prior two-three days I have noticed that when the car is stopped, I could occasionally feel a pulling shake in the steering wheel. My family went out to dinner (fortunately just minutes from home!) and when we came out, the problem began. Obviously with more than 200 people noting the same thing, Ford needs to issue a recall on this electric steering system!

- Wright City, MO, USA

Jan 262014

Escape 4-cyl

Upon start-up the steering lacked assist. It drove fine, but took additional effort to turn at slow speeds. At highway speeds steering was fine but it was still apparent that assist was gone. During drive home, I stopped once and restarted car at which point the power assist returned.

- Roseville, MN, USA

Jan 242014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while sitting at a red light, the power steering assist failed to operate without warning. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle to allow the system to reset. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed for the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000. Updated 2/26/14

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Jan 232014

Escape

My wife was driving her Escape down the freeway and the power steering stopped working. She was able to get it to the emergency shoulder and call me. When I got there I shut the car off and could not find anything that would tell me a major failure had happened. I started the Escape and the power steering started to work again. I called the dealership where we bought the car and they told me that some of the Escapes have a problem with the power steering sensor. They quoted me $1200-1400.00 to fix it. This makes this car dangerous. Ford should fix this problem.

- West Jordan , UT, USA

Jan 182014

Escape 6-cyl

On 1-18-2014 my 2008 Ford Escape experienced shaking and pulling on the steering wheel when I was sitting idle in my driveway, then it just stopped. Drove about 1/2 block and started pulling; took it to the mechanic and it is the electronic power steering $1200-1500 to repair and according to my mechanic when he talked to the local Ford parts house they told him this part# has been changed 17 times because they keep failing. This is not acceptable! how can a problem with your steering not possible be a recall item?

- Ardmore, OK, USA

Escape

My 2008 Ford Escape has a bad steering sensor that caused issues with steering and had pulling to the left. Ford informs me that they have to replace entire steering column to fix failed sensor and are quoting $1675. After searching online I see hundreds of similar complaints about Ford Escapes 2008-2010. This is a safety issue that must be addressed by Ford.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 292013

Escape

Hey back in December of 2013 I was driving home and I noticed the steering wheel started to shake. It wasn't a violent shake but it was noticeable. Now I knew I need my sway bar links replaced so I thought that was the issue. As we entered into 2014, (January) it was getting progressively worse. On 1/16/2014 (Thursday) that morning before I went to work, the steering wheel was stiff. So I had to cut the car off and cut it back on and it loosened up. I knew at that point that is wasn't the sway bar links. So that Friday (1/17/2014) I took it in to a car shop close to my house (wasn't a Ford dealership) and I was told that my electronic steering column was bad and that the sensor was dying. I couldn't understand why this was happening until I looked online and saw that I wasn't the only one with this problem. There are people all over this country and in Canada who have had similar problems. To be exact the same problem!! Ford has not recalled this issue. I'm sure Ford has tons of people that review all online comments, so they have to know about this issue. This is dangerous because just today(1/21/2014) my fiance was driving to work and she came to a red light. When it was time to go, the steering wheel got stiff and made it hard to turn. The sensor went out and it was manual turning. She got to work and when her shift was over, she started the car and the steering was loose again. We can not drive like this and know one else with an Ford Escape should have to drive like this either. I also found out through various websites that 2008 was the first year they went to this electronic steering column. They couldn't have done the proper testing on this vehicle, I only have 63000 miles on this car and this should not be an issue so soon! please email me back and tell me what I need to do to make Ford recall this. Thank you

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Escape 4-cyl

Noticed a vibration in steering on the way home yesterday on the highway. Made a left turn onto street and steering wheel got extremely tight and hard to staighten. This morning started the 2008 Escape and had no power steering. I am a fairly large male and it is tough for me to steer it without power steering and really do not know how a female could. It was lucky I was driving it when the steering went out or else I guarantee there would have been an accident, if not with another car, into a house or business building. I have read numerous accounts online of instances just like mine and somebody will eventually be killed. Lets hope a recall happens before this happens!

- Odessa, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was backing out of the driveway and started driving down the street, when she got to the stop sign the power steering cut out and stopped working all together. I went out there and turned off the car and restarted it and it was working again. I'm very glad it did not happen on the freeway. She would have crashed. This needs to be recalled with how many incidents that have beed reported.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Jan 022014

Escape 4-cyl

I bought my 2008 Ford Escape on January 15 2013 at 67,000 miles it has 78,000 miles and is doing what so many other complaints said are doing. When I go to turn left especially makes a loud bang click noise in the steering wheel/column. I do have a warranty but others don't. there is over 500 complaints on this issue on safe car.gov. Please dont let a death be a deciding factor for a recall to be issued and to save a couple bucks. Evidently there is a problem. Like I said had my car for one year.

- Marysville, MI, USA

Jan 132014

Escape 4-cyl

The vehicle's steering began to shutter. Then the power steering suddenly gave out. I was barely able to make turns to the right to exit the highway. The condition goes away after stopping and restarting but less than a minute after restarting, the condition returns. I have yet to be able to take the vehicle in for repair of this issue. This is dangerous.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Jan 172014

Escape 6-cyl

After making a left turn and braking at a stop sign, I experienced a sudden loss of power steering.

- Pawleys Island, SC, USA

Jan 022014

Escape 4-cyl

Just as many of the other complaints logged on this site about the 2008 Ford Escape my issues started with a rattling of the steering wheel when I was idling or breaking. Then a few days later I turned my car on and my power steering wasn't working. I turned the car off and restarted it which resulted in the steering working again. This happened a few times for about a week. I was starting to think maybe this is a serious problem an I should get it checked out. The next time I drove it my power steering completely failed while I was driving on ice. I am very glad I was being cautious and going slow. If I had been going faster I could have had a horrible accident. Now I've read endless complaints on line about this same problem and am hearing it could cost 1-2,000 to fix! please recall this before it becomes fatal!

- West Branch, MI, USA

Dec 272013

Escape 4-cyl

On Dec 27 2013 we were driving Escape. When trying go around curve Ford lost all power steering which caused us to almost hit wall. My husband drove to side road. Shut it off. Waited few minutes started it power steering was back. Took it to garage was told power steering sensor was going out. Was told it be $1123 cost. It happened again on January 3rd 2014. Was told that this is a safety issue and that Ford knows its not working right. Need a recall before someone gets hurt or killed. Our Escape is not only one doing it. The ones with electric power steering are failing. I'm scared drive it much.

- Monticello, KY, USA