2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 29 of 29)

Jan 012010

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. She stated that the power steering would lock intermittently while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the torque sensor failed and needed to be reprogrammed. There were no recalls for the failure and no repairs were made to date. The failure and current mileages were under 78,000. Updated 3/16/10 updated 06/17/10

- Little Canada , MN, USA

Sep 172008

On Monday, 15 Sep 2008, on my way to work (about 7am) my steering wheel locked up. I was not able to turn the wheel no matter how much I tried. I was able to stop the vehicle and shut it off. After a few minutes, I restarted the car and everything seemed fine. On Tuesday, the same thing happened three different times. I called the dealer first thing Wednesday morning to schedule the vehicle for service. I was told to bring the vehicle in on Thursday. On my way home from work on Wednesday, I was going to drop it off at the dealer so they could start right away. After exiting the highway, the steering wheel locked again and this time I could not stop before driving off the road and into a rock wall. The side airbags deployed, but I still hit my head on the steering wheel and was knocked unconscious. The dealer said he has never heard of that happening. I was going about 30 miles per hour.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Mar 282008

Escape 4-cyl

When backing up in reverse, when you turn the steering wheel left or right, there is a loud clunking noise in the steering.

- Baltimore, MD, USA