2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 29)

Jan 212016

Escape

After fueling my car, the power steering stopped working. It's very difficult to steer, but it's harder at low speeds.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Jan 192016

Escape

In 2012 the steering torque sensor went out and caused the eps to continually fail. We had the parts replaced with factory parts in 2014 by an independent mechanic for $500. In December 2015 the steering wheel began shaking erratically again, indicating torque sensor failure. We had previously received a recall notice from Ford telling us to take our 2008 Ford Escape to the nearest dealership. On January 19, 2016 the Escape was dropped off at town and country Ford in madison, tn. We picked the Escape back up on January 21, 2016. The steering wheel still shook erratically. When asked why the mechanic didn't repair the torque sensor, they indicated it wasn't part of the recall because they're only required to repair based off of vag codes or fault codes. The technician stated that the "dash was lit up like christmas" and he didn't have time to pull all of the fault codes. We left mutliple messages for the service deparment manager and received no response. I contacted the Ford customer service number as directed in the NHTSA recall notice and explained as above. Ford customer service directed me to take the car to a different Ford service center and stated they could not enforce the repairs under the recall as dealerships are privately owned. We have video footage of the steering wheel shaking after the service dates as noted in this complaint.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jan 292016

Escape

Every time I drive on the highway at 75mph the steering wheel would start to shake. Then for the past 2 weeks even when the vehicle was on a stop light the steering wheel would shake. Two days ago as I shifted the vehicle to drive the steering wheel became super hard to move. I turned off the vehicle and once I turned it on the steering wheel felt fine again. This morning as I shifted the gear to drive the steering wheel was hard and unmoveable. I was unable to drive my vehicle.

- Tornillo, TX, USA

Jan 242016

Escape

My steering went out after I had stopped the car and turned it off. I had got back in the car 30 minutes later put the car in reverse and the steering was gone. I called the dealership that I had purchased it from because I had seen on some service papers from them that stated a recall on the Ford Escape was in place #14S05. He told me that there was not a recall on my particular vehicle. My mileage is 101,500. This is the same dealership that I had taken my car to have them look at my ignition switch because it was giving me problems and was told that it didnt give them a problem. 2 months later switch is almost gone completely, I took it in again and they said it needed to be replaced and that sorry your extended warranty had run out you will have to pay for this.

- Barnesville, GA, USA

Jan 252016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. After turning the ignition key in the on position, the power steering failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor failed. The dealer stated that the torque converter and the steering column needed to be replaced. The power torque sensor was replaced. The contact stated the steering column parts were being ordered. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and directed the contact to NHTSA. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Grants, NM, USA

Jan 262016

Escape

The steering started going out after a few miles. After shutting off the vehicle, it would be fine for awhile. Took it to the dealer and found that there had been a recall and the work had been performed in August, 2014. The dealer contacted Ford recall special services and was denied coverage. We also contacted Ford and were denied. The vehicle belongs to a 72 year old widow who has followed every maintenance schedule. She is unable to steer it when it goes out and unable to afford a $900 repair.

- Brownstown Twp, MI, USA

Feb 122015

Escape

Transmission is constantly leaking.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 232016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 65 mph, the steering failed. The contact stated that the steering wheel required extra effort to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 182016

Escape

Electric steering assist failed while driving.

- Campbellsport, WI, USA

Jan 112016

Escape

Power steering failed. Vehicle was in driveway not in motion. Driver was unable to turn wheel because there was no power steering.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jan 132016

Escape

My wife had the power steering stop working, in her vehicle, while driving home on city streets. Upon shutting off and restarting the vehicle the power steering started working again. We took the vehicle to in for service as we want a reliable, safe vehicle. They couldn't find any problems and applied a software update per recall 14S05. Drove home with no problems. The following morning the steering wheel started shaking/vibrating/turning on its own while the vehicle was still in park. Drove the vehicle for the next couple of days problem did not get better. Called the service center back 3 days after original service, when the software update was applied to schedule new appointment. The followup appointment was 4 days later or one week after the original service date. Six days after software update the power steering stopped working while driving home, on a highway, without any warning. Took the vehicle back in the following morning (1 week from original service date) for service. This time the service center found a problem and said that it was the gear and this wasn't covered under the recall. It could just be the timing but it appears that the software update caused problems (steering wheel vibration) that we didn't have with the vehicle prior update, or that they couldn't find any problems when the have a known issue. Also disappointed that given the known issue (recall 14S05) that Ford feels a software update is a "fix" for a steering failure, a potential serious safety issue.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Jan 142016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving at various speeds, the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact stated that the power steering control module (pscm) was never replaced; however, the software was updated. The contact mentioned that the power steering seized after the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Sep 102015

Escape

I have a 2008 Ford Escape that had a recall on it. After I took it in to the local Ford dealership, my car started having problems relating to the recall. After taking it to two different Ford companies and proving that the recall fix did not work and is causing problems, Ford refuses to authorize the other repairs that is covered under the recall, because one repair shop did the initial update. Now my car is having major problems, and I cannot afford to fix it. It is a safety issue. I have talked to 5 different people about the issue at Ford but they keep saying that the case number I provide the dealership should take care of it however it does not. Im a single mother of 3 with low income and if my cars power steering goes out at a crucial time I could potentially cause a serious accident.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Jan 142016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was acknowledged that the failure was related to a recall however, the dealer refused to repair the vehicle because they were informed by the manufacturer that the recall had expired and the contact exceeded the time limit for the repair. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,000. The VIN was not available.

- Norton, MA, USA

Dec 292015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jan 122016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering assist fault warning light displayed. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 139,000. Updated 04/14/16

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Jan 112016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor and steering column failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that he received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,136.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Jan 042016

Escape

My 2008 Ford Escape has lost power steering. It no longer works.

- Birch Run, MI, USA

Jan 052016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. While accelerating from a stop and making a turn, the steering failed. After the vehicle was parked for a while, the steering returned to normal. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Millburn, NJ, USA

Dec 312015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

On December 11, 2015 I had taken my 2008 Ford Escape to dealer for the 14S05 recall being that two days before my power steering had locked up. They did the software update now on December 31, 2015 I have no power steering at all. Took it back to dealer said torque sensor went out and is not part of recall. Its pretty unsafe that they recall this part but wont honor to fix it when they know its a problem with all these vehicles between 2008-2011. Why send a recall letter if the dealer isn't going to fix the problem and expect you to pay put of pocket for something they know is being recalled?? makes me very upset and unhappy with Ford and their vehicles if they can't make them safe for people to drive, they are picking the cheapest way to fix the problem with just the software update when the issue is more to do with the torque sensor in the vehicles. People are driving these vehicles thinking they are fixed when they are not, thinking we are in a safe vehicle and we are not because Ford doesn't want to honor the recall. Its ridiculous how Ford is doing this and not safe for drivers. Please help me and everyone who has had this issue with the recall dealing with the torque sensor get replaced...thank you.

- Sturgis, MI, USA