2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 29)

Oct 232015

Escape

In July 2015 I received a recall notice from the Ford company. The recall stated that the power steering system might revert to manual steering mode due to an electric power steering system fault related to the torque sensor resulting in an increase of an accident the steering effort would become greater at low speeds. On September 14th, 2015 I had my local Ford dealership follow the guidelines stated for the recall and perform real 14S05 concluding that no code was present and proceeded in reprogramming the instrument cluster. On Friday, October 23rd, 2015 upon starting my car at work, the power steering wheel did not work and manual steering was required upon driving to the local Ford dealership. No light was on the dash board or the info setting to indicate that there was an issue. Upon starting my car at the dealership, the power steering started working again. On Monday, October 26th, the same dealership performed the recall 14S05 again checking for dtc's and the torque light sensor fault code B2278 was present. No pinpoint tests available for the code and the chart called for sensor replacement. The cost to fix this is $700 and would have been paid for by the recall a month prior if it had shown up on the performed recall test. The Ford dealership said that they had not seen any recall vehicles with the steering column intermittently working but had replaced the steering wheel column all together. Ford company: "any subsequent loss of assist repairs experienced after completion of module reprogramming are not covered by this recall". the software updates may extend the time steering assist is maintained. The update provides increased driver awareness by sounding a chime and displaying the wrench light or warning in the message center when a fault is detected." This clearly did not happen when my car lost it's power steering on October 23rd, 2015.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 222015

Escape

Power steering failed while driving, unable to make turns, extremely difficult to get car to safety. The vehicle was in motion and to make a turn required great strength.

- Cary, NC, USA

Oct 162015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving at 10 mph, the wrench indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the steering became difficult to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer a year prior in regards to NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering); however, the technicians inspected the vehicle and diagnosed that no repairs were needed. The contact was informed by the manufacturer that they would no longer honor the recall.the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 052015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 5 mph, the electric assist power steering stopped working. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 112,300.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Oct 022015

Escape

On 10-2-15 while making a 90 degree left turn at about 15 miles per hour, about half way through the turn, there was suddenly no power steering. I grabbed the steering wheel with my other hand and was able to turn the car enough to keep from hitting a curb. There was also a quick warning buzzer but no dash lights stayed lit. The loss of steering was only for a split second but enough to feel like the car had quit running which was not the case. I took the car to great lakes Ford in muskegon, Michigan on 10-5-15, told them about the problem and made an appointment for 10-12-15 to have it checked. I took it in on 10-12-15, they checked it out and they retrieved code B2278, diag. Needs steering column. They told me there was nothing they could do about it under recall14S05 and that I would have to pay to have the repair done. On 10-13-15 I called Ford customer care and told them about the problem and they told me there was nothing they could do. In Sept. 2014, I received the recall letter from Ford about the problem and took the car to great lakes Ford on 10-27-14. I had no idea what the recall was about and the paper work I got from them simply says 14S05 electric power steering recall 14S05 "14S05C". no one even said what the recall was about. As is, this car is flat dangerous to drive. Ford is aware that it is dangerous but doesn't seem to care even though they know it's a manufactures defect.02/15

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Sep 302015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The vehicle was able to be stopped, but required a greater effort to operate the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the steering column malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was reprogrammed under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle would not be repaired twice under the recall. The failure mileage was approximately 132,000.

- North Apollo, PA, USA

Sep 222015

Escape

All instrument warning lights came on. Speedometer zeroed out. Steering failed. Also happened today(9/23/15). Computer update done 13 months ago for steering recall even though I had no prior problems.

- Conway, SC, USA

Aug 242015

Escape 6-cyl

On 8/24/15 my ignition switch housing had to be replaced on my vehicle per my invoice. Which I was told would be needed as it causes steering difficulties and may require an increase in steering effort. It could also result in the total loss of steering. Initial I went in because I had trouble with starting my car. The same issues listed in a safety recall back in July 2014 (recall notice 14S05) begin again. I feel this is still a matter that has something to do with the recall listed above. I would like a review of the details concerning my vehicle. Thank you,

- Channelview, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Escape

We were driving home from St louis, mo on this afternoon. As we were approaching our street the steering, power, went out. Minimum control at rolling speed. No control at stop. I parked for the night. Called service, requested to test computer. Code came up B2278. They checked for recalled there is one. When the dealer serviced this vehicle on July 31, 14 the recall was performed 14so5. At that time the code did not appear and the computer was reset. Since then this code did come up, B2278. Which states replace torque sensor. Ford Motor Company and GEM city Ford, quincy il stated the safety recall expired. I am flabbergasted, how can a national safety recall expire"? if there is or was a safety defect placed on this vehicle how in the hell can it expire??? please explain how, if this was a true concern in July, '14 and the same thing is still happening "how" can this expire??" I have been without my vehicle since September 1, 2015.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Aug 122015

Escape

In a first incident, I was in N.Y. and I parked the car. When I wanted to go home, the steering wheel was stiff and it took my whole strength with both arms to turn the steering wheel. I turned off the car and when to sleep. The next morning, I went to the car that started normally and steered normally. Come to be that there was a recall on the car for the steering wheel. I made and appointment, the next week, with a Ford dealer and the fixed the recall by going on the computer. The second instance was around 8/12/15, the car was parked near my home and I intended to move it into the street and drive off. The steering wheel would not move, but a few inches, even with total strength. I had the car towed to a Ford dealer. The mechanic in charge told me that there was no recall on the car and that to check it I would have to pay around $90. I had it towed to another mechanic who told me that the problem was the electronic power assist steering system (epas).

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 062015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely tight and difficult to turn left or right. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road, where it was turned off and restarted in order to reset the computer. However, the failure recurred. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired due to the dealer stating the VIN was excluded from the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was not available. MA 10/25/15

- Hanford, CA, USA

May 312015

Escape

Relates to safety recall notice 14S05/NHTSA recall 14V-284, received in July 2014, with my car first inspected on 08/21/2014. My car had not had a power steering failure but I took it in as directed by the recall notice. About May 30, 2015, I experienced a power steering failure as I was about to turn left, from a stop at a traffic light. I almost hit the car in the outer turn lane and was almost hit by the car behind me. I called Ford customer service and explained the issue. She gave me a case # cas7268220T6F2P6 to give to the dealer service dept as a matter of priority. After a few days, they said on inspection it only needed to be reprogrammed to fix the issue. About 3 weeks later, the power steering failure happened again. I took it to the same Ford dealer on 06/22/2015 and on 06/25/2015 was told by the dealership that Ford did not approve them to address my power steering failure because my car had exceeded 12 months or 12,000 miles from the first date addressed. I called Ford to dispute their decision, stating that I thought the purpose of the recall was to fix an overwhelming failure of a part or system. I said that what if the reprogramming did not work, were they not obligated to replace the defective part if necessary. Will Ford now hide behind a 12 month/12,000 mile rule. The Ford rep said her hands were tied by company policy. I am passing this on to the NHTSA for fair resolution. This 2008 Ford Escape had another recall # 14S19 relating to electronic cooling pump failure. Ford sent notices out in May 2015. My cooling pump failure occurred in May 2013. I spent $747.31 to replace the defective part. The dealership said, with the part replaced, I only needed reprogramming. Ford agreed to reimburse me for the $747.31. Should Ford not now be responsible for replacing the defective steering column if reprogramming has failed (quoted at $1135+tax).

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 132015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the steering column and the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under a manufacturer's recall for the steering where the dealer reprogrammed the steering column. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jun 142011

Escape

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape limited edition for my son in college, first, there were problems with the tires which sounded like the tires were going to explode. The noise was so loud and took it to my local dealership and they did nothing. I had the vehicle for approximately six months. The second issue pertained to the steering/suspension and that cost me $900. The dealership constantly states, "just keep your receipts." Today, I contacted sheehy Ford in springfield va regarding the new problem which is the throttle. The vehicle lost power and he could not shift the vehicle at all. The customer service representative looked up the VIN number and informed me my vehicle was not covered. I explained to the gentleman that I was on line and found information that Ford has issued an extended warranty for defective throttle body assemblies and sensors for 10 years or 150,000 miles based on an investigation by the national highway safety administration (NHTSA) for a defect investigation of alleged throttle body failures in 2005-2012 Ford Escapes (complaints from nc). I was informed my vehicle was not covered because only specific VIN numbers were included. I am a single parent and I have put too much money in this vehicle. After reading the comments on line, this vehicle appears to have numerous defects. What does it take for our government to take action, lost of lives" is the dollar more important than people lives" we need to start holding these companies accountable. There is clearly issues with this vehicle and I want Ford to pay for my repairs.

- Kingstowne, VA, USA

Nov 122014

Escape

Took my car in for the recall for the torque senor told the gentlemen several times my steering locked up when I was driving and made a klucking noise, he said we will check it out will 10 minutes later my car was done another gentlemen said we reset your torque sensor this did nothing for my problem I have read the investagation about the prior recall on my Ford Escape and I do believe if they would of fixed the problem properly and change the torque senor or drove my car to see excatly how the steering was acting now they want 100:S of dollars to replace my steering colum ths is not right at all.please can you help me.

- Belle Vernon, PA, USA

May 122011

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 2 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred three times. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repair. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 182015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) and the vehicle was repaired. While driving approximately 12 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was turned off and back on and the steering returned to normal. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 158,000.

- Corning, IA, USA

Dec 202014

Escape

Shortly after taking my 2008 Ford Escape back to the dealer to address a power steering recall in October 2014, the power steering failed. According to Ford, this was recall 14S05. This was not the first time the power steering failed, but in the previous instances the problem would resolve itself after restarting the vehicle. In December 2014 when the power steering failed, the problem persisted. Fortunately, it's a car my son drives when he is home for college break so we weren't using it that often and I held off taking it back to Ford dealer. I was able to take the Escape back to the dealer this month to report the steering problem. I was told the Escape now needs to replace the torque sensor for the power steering. (in October, the dealer reprogrammed the psm and made no other repairs to steering parts.) all of the news reports about the recall that I have read this spring mention that the torque sensor was one of three things that could have been addressed in the recall. The torque sensor in my Escape was not changed, and now the Ford dealer is quoting a price of $500 to $600 to do the repair. I believe this torque sensor should be replaced now as part of the recall Ford made for power steering problems. Thank you.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Mar 292015

Escape

I was coming home from batavia and my steering wheel was sounding like a mixer hitting the side of the bowl and when I got near home it started seeming like I had no power steering. I got home but it has not worked properly since. It make no noise to inform me there was any problem. No check engine light came on. Nothing. I love my Ford but this is really not good. This could have been really bad. I got a recall last year. This part should have been replaced. This is really dangerous.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Jan 152015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I received NHTSA recall 14V-284 for the electrical power assist steering on my 2008 Ford Escape. I took the vehicle into the romeo mi Ford dealership for the recall work on 1/12/2015. The work that was performed under the recall was the replacement of the torque sensor. Following the work I noticed on the drive home (on 1/12/15) that the steering wheel was severely misaligned and that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. I called back the dealership on 1/12/15 and made a follow up appointment. Following the diagnostics run the vehicle showed a faulty power steering system. I was responsible for replacing the steering column. Because the recall work involved the steering column and they recall work left my vehicle inoperable I believe that Ford did not full perform the recall work that was required. I feel I should be reimbursed the work that should have been completed under the recall 14V-284.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA