2009 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 13)

Dec 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and wrench light came on at the same time that the vehicle lost power. This had happened previously on 11/25/12 and the dealer repair was replacing both vct solenoids and valve cover gaskets. Both times when this had happened before I turned the engine off and restarted after 3-5 minutes. I was able to go another 6-8 miles and then the wrench light came back on. The second time, the check engine light came on and then seconds later 8 other lights were lit on the dash. I turned the engine off after coasting to the median of the highway (was in left lane with traffic at 55mph) and waited for a tow from the dealer. Now the dealer is telling me this repair (replacement of throttle body) is not covered as the vehicle is more than 3 years old (actually, I've had it for 44 months). I want Ford to pay for this repair as it seems rather common from what I'm seeing on-line.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 022012

Was on just stop accelerating light came on, pulled to side of road. Turned off. Restarted and worked find for a couple of days. Now have to deal with every other day. Called dealership, and they said I need to pay for repair. It should be a recall. Has happened alot to people.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Dec 072012

Was driving on the interstate and the car stopped responding to the gas pedal. Car had to be towed to a Ford dealer, where it was determined the throttle body is bad and has to be replaced to the tune of $350. A google search reveals this is a known problem, there just hasn't been a formal recall yet.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 212012

My Ford Escape 2009 keeps losing acceleration ability. The first time it happened I was only going 25 on a residential road so I was able to pull over easily. Wrench light is on, I turn car off and restart and acceleration is fine. The next time I was out of traveling out of town on the interstate at 60 mph when engine began to decelerate, luckily I was able to pull over to emergency lane. Again I turned car off and when I turned it back on everything seem to return to normal. I had the car towed because I did not feel safe continuing to drive it. The mechanic could not get a code off the computer. The mechanic drove it and was unable to get problem to occur. I had to pick up the car with no resolution. I risked my life and drove it home. It happened again on the way home. I will not be driving my car again until this is resolved. It seems Ford is aware of this problem with the throttle body. If someone is injured or killed because of this issue Ford will be held liable. Ford you have been officially notified of this hazardous malfunction and legally are now responsible for the outcome.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 302012

Escape 6-cyl

Pulling out into traffic while stopped, pressed gas peddle car rolled but not strong, hesitated as I had told Ford dealer, had to slam brakes so car would not go, by then upcoming car was to close. No accident but scared me. This happens often. Not safe to have passengers, or myself. Many complaints to Ford but nothing done about it.

- Stamford , VT, USA

Oct 232012

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle made a noise and the vehicle would not accelerate past 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the a dealer for inspection and they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that the warranty was expired. The failure mileage was 60,600. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lemars, IA, USA

Feb 222012

Escape 6-cyl

In February 2012 (mileage approx 32900), I experienced jerking upon accelerating as my 2009 Ford Escape was changing gears. The dealer assessed it as a computer malfunction and reprogrammed the computer. My wife and I have had intermittent problems with jerking upon accelerating since. Then, on 10/20/2012 (mileage approx 38000), the vehicle stalled when my wife was accelerating to enter traffic on the interstate highway. Thankfully, she was able to get out of traffic without getting hit, and she and our 18 month old are ok. The dealership is replacing the throttle body. Not only was acceleration a problem, the seals on the front axle broke and spilled axle fluid on the drivers side, so the dealer is refilling the axle fluid and replacing the seals.

- Windcrest, TX, USA

Oct 092012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate when I started to lose power and the throttle control/drivetrain light came on. I pulled to the berm and the engine felt like it was missing and it would not respond when I pressed the accelerator. I turned the vehicle off, waited and then turned it back on. The light was off and it ran okay. I continued to work with no further problems. On the way home from work the exact same thing occurred only traffic was much heavier on the interstate so getting to the berm was much more hazardous. I turned it off and then back on and it ran okay again. I contacted my local Ford dealer and was able to schedule an appt for the next evening. The next day on the way to work the vehicle did the same thing as I pulled into an intersection. Traffic was light so I was able to stop turn it off and then back on and it ran okay. I took it to the dealer that evening and they kept it so their service dept could analysis the problem. The next evening they contacted me and advised they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. I picked it up and drove it to work and home the next day with no problem. The following day it occurred again and I contacted the dealer and they had me bring it in. I was approx. 15 miles from the dealership when I contacted them and the vehicle did the same thing 2 more times before I could get to the dealership, once in an intersection and once on the interstate. After they analyzed it again they advised me it was the throttle body actuator (code P2111 throttle body actuator stuck open forced to limit power) the vehicle has just over 37,500 miles on it so it is not covered by warranty. Looking on the web and the NHTSA website this doesn't appear unique to my vehicle. Since this occurs without any warning and has happened at very inopportune times this looks to be a safety concern.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Oct 132012

Escape 6-cyl

Shortly after entering highway on dark rainy evening, with no fore warning, car began to shake and lose power. Was able to pull to side of highway. Even though I was pressing on the gas, car would not go forward. Wrench light was illuminated on the dashboard. Called for assistance. When help arrived they suggested I turn off vehicle. When I turned back on, car was fine. The next day, with no warning, same thing occurs on neighborhood road. When we took to Ford dealer today, the problem did not repeat so they have no repair code. This is a very dangerous situation....could lead to accident on highway...I have to drive 17 miles to work on highway and I am scared.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Jul 302012

The car jerks forward without pressing the gas pedal. When switching from reverse to drive it jerks forward also. I just read an article that talks about the same type of problem with other Ford Escapes.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 272012

Escape 6-cyl

We were driving our Escape back from the store and all of the sudden it lost power and the throttle did not respond, this happened several times over the next few days. We took it to the shop and found out the throttle body was bad, there is no reason the throttle body should fail at all much less in a newer model car with low mileage. Had we been pulling out on to a road we could have been involved in an accident! I don't think ours is an isolated indecent from what I have read online.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Jul 262012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated the instructions in the manual indicated that if the vehicle was on the vehicle could be towed in neutral gear for six at 65 mph. The vehicle was towed behind the motor home and the transmission fluid and the engine overheated; therefore, the vehicle would not start. The contact installed an auxilary pump to keep the fluid from over heating; otherwise, the transmission had to be replaced. The manufacturer stated the pump would void the warranty. The contact stated the vehicle was sold as vehicle that could be towed. The vehicle did not overheat after the pump was added. The failure mileage was 65. The current mileage was 60,000. Updated 11/07/12 the consumer stated the manufacturer offered $800 for good will.updated 11/07/2012

- Kalkaska, MI, USA

Sep 012012

Escape 6-cyl

Had just come over the tn river bridge on I40 East in tn and was approaching mile marker 137 when the vehicle became non responsive to throttle with no dash indication lights. At first I thought fuel pump shut down because acceleration did not work. I knew the engine was still running by RPM and power steering worked. The vehicle was coasting in the left lane and there was traffic behind, in front and in right lane. I turned on hazard lights in hopes of warning the traffic around me. The semi behind me had to slow also and I could not change lanes at moment. Contemplating going left into the median and maybe striking an upcoming bridge rail or wait for open right lane and get to right side of interstate. I had an opening and turned off hazard flasher and then gave a right blinker, cutting off the semi behind who was trying to go around me. At that moment I thought we would get hit. Pulled over and the wrench light came on and no check engine light. Vehicle idled bad like a misfire and RPM gauge went up and down unsteadily. I videoed the fluctuation while pulled over. Turned car off and restarted no problem. Problem came back again 74 miles later in nashville at 88756 miles. At that point on I440E and I65 split the vehicle, without warning, shutdown again, became non responsive to throttle. Then the wrench light and check engine light came on and I pulled over videoed the fluctuating gauges. Turned vehicle off and restarted and lights went off and proceeded to crown Ford on thompson lane and the service dept was closed. This issue also happened 5 times on 9-3-2012, between mileage 89,9002 to 89,1181, while in Alabama/tn. Example going uphill, and also coasting into someones driveway at night. This vehicle still currently has the trans flare issue even after two PCM reflash. But Ford cant get it to act up. I thought maybe this issue was related.

- Bell Buckle, TN, USA

Aug 192012

I was driving when all of a sudden the car shook slightly and then there was no more power from pushing the gas pedal and the powertrain warning symbol came on (picture of a wrench) and I was just coasting; I pulled off the road and put in park, when I put it back in drive, again nothing happened when I stepped on the gas, it would just coast. I finally turned off the ignition, waited a minute and turned it back on, and it worked and there was no warning symbol on. I saw on internet later that several people have had the same issue. I took to the dealer the next morning, he mentioned possibly the "throttle body" but then after they checked it, they said nothing indicated a problem, and the computer did not even indicate that warning light had been on, so there was nothing they could do. There is even a video on youtube about someone having this issue. I am scared it will happen again.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Aug 102012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at a constant speed the throttle control actuator inside the throttle body can become stuck and cause the driver to loose all throttle and speed control. Problem will present itself as a transmission issue as shifting through all the gears will not clear the problem, until engine is powered down and restarted. This is a clear and evident problem that appears at or around 75,000 miles. Ford refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem with the factory model throttle body installed in most Escape model vehicles. Regular engine diagnostics do not display an error code unless the diagnostic computer is connected to the car at the time of incident and warning light is on.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Aug 072012

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving in right lane approximately 45mph and I lost all acceleration. Thought I had a flat or something. Pulled over and into a parking lot. Engine was idling rough so I turned it off and called my husband to see what was happening with the car. Husband came and restarted, drove home no issue. On 8/11/12 driving to store the same thing happened but this time noticed the wrench light came on. The gas pedal stopped working loosing all engine power. Pulled over and called my husband to see what happened. Left car running, husband pressed gas pedal but engine stayed at rough idle. Turned car off and restarted, drove car home and called servicing dealership for appointment. Had the vehicle serviced on 8/10/12 to check transmission, thought that was the problem but they said everything was fine. They said they would let us know today 8/12/12 if vehicle should be towed in rather then driving it in due to safety reasons.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 212012

Escape 6-cyl

I have owned 2009 Ford Escape limited V-6 less than two months. While driving 35-40 mph the vehicle suddenly would not accelerate. It did not stop running so I was able to exit the roadway and return home. It took several minutes for it to return to normal. I did not get a check engine light or other warning. Dealer advises I should wait to see if it happens again as it would be difficult to diagnose at this point. At the time of the incident I was on my way to interstate highway with 70 mph speed limit and a lot of heavy truck traffic. I feel fortunate incident happened when and where it did.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jun 162012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving Ford Escape 2009 at consistent highway speed for approximately 20 minutes. Iphone plugged into usb port, head lights, air conditioning on and working. Sudden feeling of hesitation and then floating. Orange wrench light appeared. Sudden loss of RPM's and engine power. Semi-truck behind me weaved into other lane. I activated hazard lights and coasted/changed lanes over 3 lanes of highway traffic to shoulder of expressway. Stopped and parked car. Wrench light remained on. Air conditioning, music, and lights remained working. I looked up code in owner's manual and found "powertrain" "service immediately". I turned off car. I turned off air conditioning, unplugged iphone, music, and lights. I restarted car. Car immediately restarted with no warning light. With car in park, tested acceleration, no hesitation with rpms. I turned off car and waited 5 minutes. I turned car back on, again no wrench light, no hesitation with RPM/gas pedal tested. I turned off hazards and attempted to drive. No further problem driving that night or the next day. On Monday I took car to Ford dealership for inspection. I was called and told that battery needed replacement. I explained I was concerned because there was no loss of auxiliary power, rather engine power. The service representative stated they would replace battery at my agreement and continue testing. I was called later in day an notified that there was nothing wrong with my car. While waiting for call from dealer, I "googled" Ford Escape 2009 wrench light. I found multiple problems attributed to throttle body sticking, with inability of Ford dealers able to identify this recurrent problem. My car remains at dealer. I called Ford dealer again today and was told my car was fine to drive. I am concerned to drive this vehicle on any street/expressway with the potential for this to happen again, as reported by other drivers.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 022012

Escape 6-cyl

Intermittent problem when driving gas pedal seems to loose resistance, vehicle starts to slow even though adding more power, as vehicle slows and approaches 5 mph it starts transmission to seize and engine to backfire. Then with car stopped it won't go. When restarted it won't go the first time but the second start will then operate normally. Has happened several times in a day at highway speed or in town. Ford dealer unable to repair it so far had a minor leak in axle seal in front wheel drive repaired that no help. I believe it is a throttle body problem and have found this problem being suffered by many others on internet forums for repair advice/questions.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 122011

The transmission is slipping and wining. Like a bearing is going out. I think it is the output shaft bearing.

- Leland, NC, USA