2009 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 13)

Nov 202014

Escape 4-cyl

My throttle/powertrain light went on and I found that a recall had been placed and I was never contacted by Ford with a recall letter.

- Berlin, WI, USA

Oct 272014

Escape 4-cyl

Was at a stop, started to go and the wrench light went on and the gas peddle did not work.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 182014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at 45mph and went to accelerate and when I pressed the gas- the engine felt like it was off- I still had electrical power. I was not able to give the car any gas at all. I coasted until I could pull off the road and when I stopped- the car was idling very rough. The "throttle control/ powertrain" light had come on. I turned off the car and sat for about 5 minutes. When I turned it back on, it idled rough for about 3-4 seconds and the light was still on. Then it smoothed out and the light went off and I was able to drive it back to my house (about 1 mile).

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 242014

Car started to idle and couldn't give it any gas. It would stall. Started back up and then the gas would not accelerate. Trouble starting back up but would. This kept repeating.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Sep 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I had the recent steering recall done, never had an issue. Was out of town and then started the car and the wrench light was on. I went to the Ford dealership and they replaced the throttle body. In less than a week now when slowing down to make a turn the car has cutoff once and the next day had no pickup after making a turn. I do not know if its related to the past recalls on the throttle body or not.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Sep 042014

Escape 4-cyl

Throttle body assembly shorted out internally, scan had code P2112. Engine had no power it stayed at idle while driving at 45 mph immediately slowed down to 2 mph.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Aug 132014

Escape 4-cyl

My vehicle lost all acceleration while driving at 40mph, the wrench light came on. Pulled over and powered off vehicle and powered it back on (had slight trouble turning over) continued on my way, the vehicle ended up loosing acceleration three times while driving home, was on the busy highway doing 55mpg at one point when all acceleration was lost again. When I explained the problem to Ford they didn't know what was the problem, they ended up replacing the throttle body, but why wasn't this a mandatory recall when accidents could have occurred from loss of acceleration.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jul 312014

On July 31st, my car was at a stop light, a minute after I pressed on the gas pedal, my car stalled (a light wrench on the dashboard appeared) -it would move maybe 1 mph but I was unable to accelerate on the gas pedal. After a moment, the vehicle was shaking...I turned off the vehicle and turned it back on, everything was fine, the light wrench disappeared. After 45 minutes later, on the road, the same thing happened again and I had to move to the shoulder to prevent any accidents from happening. Made an appointment with carmax less than a week later (because that is where I purchased the car, had it for a year). I was advised to come back if the same incident occurred because nothing happened since July 31st and they didn't want me to waste my money if they did not see anything. Since that appointment, the same incident happened numerous times during the week of August 3rd-9th. On Aug 16th, the wrench light appeared along with the engine light, went to my local mechanic and he mentioned that the throttle body needed to be replaced. It was confirmed today (Aug. 18th) when I went to an unscheduled appointment at carmax (even on my way there, the lights came back on) that the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Severn, MD, USA

Aug 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Check engine light came on as with the drive train light. Had computer read. Showing a P2119 code/throttle actuator control. Note: Vehicle was in Ford dealer on 24 July 2014 due to recall issued on PCM.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 272014

Throttle stopped working and service light came on. Coasted to the side of the road, shut it off and started it up again. It worked for several miles before happening again. Next day it happened several more times on the way to the dealer. The dealer changed the throttle position sensor at no charge. The first set of incidents happened with my 7 month old in the car, so it was scary and dangerous. It is my understanding that Ford is aware of the problem with this year/model.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 132013

Vct solenoids and cam sensors are faulty. The vehicle stalls randomly, engine lags and exibits poor fuel mpg. The problem occured just out of warranty and upon research; I have discovered this issue is very vast with 2009-2011 Ford Escapes, Mercury mariners, 2010-2011 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine and built on or before 3-1-2011. My 2009 Ford Escape and many others vehicles should be recalled at no cost out of warranty.

- Byron, GA, USA

Jun 142014

The vehicle suddenly lost engine power, came nearly to a stop but continued to jump forward until I turned it off. I have been told the problem is the throttle body.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 112014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving when suddenly check engine light flashed, battery light, and oil light all blinked after which engine was running but unable to accelerate. Was able to pull off to side of road placed in park again tried to rev engine nothing happened. Turned car off then turned back on and car ran as usual check engine light remains on taking to dealership tomorrow.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 062014

Escape 4-cyl

Going to left turn lane. No response from accelerator. Engine still running. Switched of, then switched back running again. Got home, it switched of again.then same as 1st time.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

1st time driving down street wrench light came on, truck lost power. Had truck towed through research new it was throttle body. Two days later truck started, while driving on highway wrench light came on lost power again.truck stopped working in a construction zone. Took truck directly to Ford service. They were closed. They looked at truck next day. I had a complete tune up at a different repair shop at $100,000. Had all fluids changed and spark plugs. Ford service called, and told me it needed all that done, that it was not throttle body. After I told them I already had all that done, they stuttered and said they would call me back. They called back said it probably was throttle body and gave me a large estimate. I chose to pick up truck. Paid $128. Received letter you wrote about from Ford regarding throttle body. Called Ford. They said they will only replace it if the code shows up when I bring it in, if it doesn't I will have to pay out of pocket. I am upset because I already brought it in with that exact problem. Please advise what I should do now. Thank you.

- Seville, OH, USA

Apr 242014

Escape 6-cyl

Ford claims they have a customer satisfaction program (13N03) to address problems with the engine throttle body and that customers who come into dealerships will be able to have the powertrain control module software reprogrammed to protect the throttle body. The problem is- Ford will not honor this program unless the error shows on their diagnosis computer. I had this exact problem happen to me and the error did not show up on the Ford diagnosis computer so Ford will not fix this problem on my vehicle. As I was pulling out of a driveway and started to accelerate, my 2009 Ford Escape just completely lost all acceleration. The wrench light came on the dashboard, indicating an error. I could not get the car to drive above 2 - 3 mph. I took the car into the Ford dealership the next day, but their computer diagnosis machine did not show the problem. I was told that since I had powered off my car after the error occurred, the error was cleared from memory and would not show up on the computer diagnosis machine. If the computer did not show that my vehicle had that error, Ford would not fix the throttle body. Who can drive a car 20 miles to the nearest Ford dealership when the car can only go 2 - 3 mph"??. this is a major safety issue! I am very concerned that this will happen to me again when I am on a busy highway with my family in the car! what if this happens when I am driving on an interstate and I am unable to safely get off the road? since this has already happened to me, I know that my vehicle has this problem and it is only a matter of time before it happens again. How many people will have to be killed before something is done about this major safety issue???"

- Paulding, OH, USA

Apr 232014

Escape 6-cyl

For the past 2 months my 2009 Ford Escape XLT has been jumping and shifting roughly, I thought it was transmission related despite that I flushed my transmission a little over 1 year ago. On 04/24/14 I was driving 60 mph cruise control on the highway and the cruise control cut off and my 2009 Ford Escape XLT began to lose speed, I notice when the 18-wheeler behind me was approaching my bumper rapidly, nearly rear ended me - had to coast 2 lanes over to get to on coming exit to avoid rear ending due to heavy traffic. My SUV would not re-start until the throttle control/powertrain light cut off however the engine light remains on. I had to coast lanes of a busy highway with 8 am traffic to the exit ramp and stopped in the middle of the street and was stranded until my SUV started again.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Transmission solenoid wore out valve body in transmission and leaky seal. Both are a known problem for Ford and they have issued a tsb to their dealers on this issue but have not recalled the vehicle. I had to pay $2374 to fix this known issue. See links below:

- Greentown, IN, USA

Apr 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Slowing down to turn right on adjacent street, the Ford Escape stalled and power loss ensued shortly there after.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Nov 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on hov lane on lie driving to my parents. As I was coming off to reg lane, my engine stalled. Fortunately, the other car was far away able to stop. I changed gear into park and restarted the car.

- Flushing, NY, USA