2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Nov 282012

Escape

First incident occurred end of November, car stalled while traveling on rte 7 in ct. Brought the car to Ford where I was told the diagnostic box registered the issue was with the fuel sensors. The fuel sensors were replaced and the car had no issue until April. In April, car stalled again. I brought it to the dealer and the box did not register anything. Last week (May 21st), I left my office to go on lunch break and the car stalled 4X. I drove (?) the car straight to the dealer which is less than a mile away. The car registered that it was the throttle body issue. Since this is a well known issue with these cars, the part is back ordered with an unknown completion date. The dealer then cleaned out my current throttle body and told me that this was a temporary 3 mos fix. This morning 5/29, the car died again 4X on I-95. 2 of the 4X it stalled, I was in near accidents. This is a widely documented issue with Ford and it's incredible to me that there hasn't been a recall on these cars. This is a very serious safety issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost power, wrench icon and check engine light came on. Car lost all mobility and use of gas peddle. Luckily was on a street and not a highway. After turning the car on and off the car appeared to be working normally. Several minutes later the condition repeated itself, and then once again several minutes later after turning the car off and on again. Took car to get error code and returned a P2112 error code referencing the throttle body. This is an extremely dangerous defect, and could easily have caused a serious wreck if at high speed. Or intersection. Car is currently at the dealer.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 282013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving along when my vehicle began to sputter and stop. I was able to crank the vehicle up and drive a few feet before it started back up again, this time with the check engine light on. I was able to make it to an advanced auto parts store where they pulled the check engine error code and it indicated that it was an issue with the throttle body. I am able to drive it currently, but I am concerned that the throttle will stick just as I'm attempting to cross a busy intersection.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

May 202013

Escape 6-cyl

While operating the vehicle, it stalled on me without warning. Details are as follow. I came to a complete stop at a intersection. When the light went green and went to accelerate, the vehicle stalled and engine stopped. I had to put my vehicle in park and started it back up. This has occurred a total of four times so far. Only occurs about once a day. Three of them were at complete stops. The most recent stall was when slowing down I was below 5 mph, it stalled. I have taken the vehicle to a Ford dealership that services Ford's but could not find any issue or get it to stall. They drove about 60 miles doing various speeds and stops.

- Julesburg, CO, USA

Jan 022013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle has lost all power while in motion. The battery and oil light comes on. I can restart immediately after shifting to neutral. There is no trouble code indicated on my obdii. This has occurred approximately 13 times in the past six months. I bought the vehicle brand new here in South Korea in 2009 through the military overseas car sales program and it is from the usa. As can be imagined it is difficult to work with the Korean Ford dealer because of the language barrier, distance to travel and getting time off. I am hoping for a recall. It has very low mileage because I am close to work and I am concerned about getting on an expressway. I have also just started getting a P0012 trouble code. I have had the transmission flashed and the build date is August 2008.my current mileage is approximately 16000 miles.

- Apo, AP, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Came to a stop in traffic on a local street, within seconds, everything stopped, totally dead, no warning, all dash board lights off, then oil light and battery light were on. Shut it off, turned on again (several minutes later) and it started. Drove short distance to dealer. Dealer states, computer showed no problem. There was absolutely no warning, no indication what so ever. I am reporting this due to the fact of similar problems reported with the Ford Escape 2005-2012.

- Jefferson, MA, USA

Sep 042012

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle loses power and decelerates unexpectedly. The problem began on September 4, 2012 whilst I was driving. I pulled over and when I came to a stop the engine idled very rough with a heavy surge. I turned the engine off and restarted. The vehicle continued without problems. On September 5, 2012 it re-occurred about 7 times in a 12 mile journey and I took it to a Ford dealer for a check. The scan indicated an error code P2112 indicating a faulty throttle switch position sensor. The dealer advised that I should change the entire throttle body. After the scan the vehicle worked fine and then a few months later the problem re-occurred intermittently.. on May 22, 2013 the problem resurfaced to the point where the vehicle cannot be driven more than a mile without the sudden deceleration is now at the point where it cannot be safely driven.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle there is frequent surging and stalling with eventual result in a nonresponsive gas pedal. The check wrench service light and the engine light were illuminated and the vehicle would become responsive again if the engine was turned off then back on. After restarting the vehicle would soon begin to surge and stall again.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

May 042013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the car started to sputter and would not accelerate and then would suddenly accelerate without touching the accelerator. Eventually the engine just shut off all together. Has happened several times since then. Found out it was because of the throttle body, which seems to be a recurrence on Ford Escapes.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on freeway at approximately 65 mph. Car suddenly seemed to lose power, but retained power steering function. Would not accelerate but might have had minimal power. Coasted across three lanes of traffic and used brakes to stop. Wrench shaped light on dash lighted. Turned off engine and restarted after about 15 seconds. Vehicle ran fine for next 90 miles and the next day. Dealer evaluated the problem and says the throttle body needs replacement. There are other reports of similar problems on your website. Also reports of possible recall for this problem by nhtsb and automotive press. It is a serious failure at speed on a busy highway and needs your attention. Will the dealer cover the cost of the repair if there is a subsequent recall for this defect?

- Sebastopol, CA, USA

Apr 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Pulled out onto a very busy secondary roadway...applied pressure to the accelerator and it just sat there while oncoming traffic closed in on me. This was the first of many hesitations that nearly got me killed. To make it worse...when power comes back it comes back so fast it throws you back in the seat...actually burning rubber. After a year of intermittent problems with this I took it into Ford dealership and they diagnosed a faulty throttle body....trouble code P2112. Since this is a safety issue and had nothing to do with routine maintenance I expected Ford to take care of it. They want to charge me $400 dollars to fix a problem they created with substandard parts.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Took my vehicle in to Ford dealer due to check engine light stuck on. Diagnostics pulled 2 codes, P0011 & P0012. These 2 codes are major engine problems!! both solenoids need to be replaced, and possibly have to replace both cylinder heads and cam shafts if head and camshafts show wear = thus a very very expensive engine repair cost for me!! the Ford dealership said this is only covered under warranty up to 60,000 miles: My Escape had only 63,296 miles on 4-2-13, the day I went to the dealership. I'm climbing up the tree at Ford Motor Company an feel I have a "lemon" Ford vehicle!! I want to know why Ford Motor Company did not send out any recall notices to 2009 Ford Escape owners regarding this major-major engine malfunction = serious engine repair costs to me due to their negligence !! I am over the warranty timeline by 3,296 miles !!! I should not have to pay for this engine repair !!

- North Bonneville, WA, USA

Apr 022013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph the vehicle stalled. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or mechanic for a diagnostic test performed. The contact called the manufacturer regarding a recall and the manufacturer stated that there were no recalls for the VIN. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled while moving forward after backing out of parking space. Car had operated for 15 minutes before pulling into space, then immediately backing out without stopping engine. For approximately a year and one half yellow service engine light intermittently comes on then goes off after few driving cycles. Car also hesitates and jerks during acceleration randomly and frequently. Service dept of used car dealer where purchased car has detected no defects and has not replicated problem when car left at shop.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Feb 272012

Escape 6-cyl

I started having problems with my car shutting down in Feb 2012. After 2 throttle body's and still problems the dealer put a flight recorder on my car. This recorded 5 episodes of engine failure. They found that a sensor to the main computer was bad and replaced it. They left the recorder on and today 3/12/13 the car stopped twice and I pressed the recorder button. The car seizes, the engine revs when standing still and hesitates upon pick up. This has gone on long enough. Ford doesn't know what to do about this problem and it is hazardous to my health. One day my luck may not be good as to who is behind me when it stalls. Recall! recall! recall! someone needs to do something about this!

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Mar 032013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the wrench warning light illuminated. The contact merged to the shoulder, powered off and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 33,000. The VIN was not available.

- Alexandria , VA, USA

Oct 042012

Escape 4-cyl

I was running some errands and as I was on my way to the grocery store my 2009 Ford Escape shut down. I was almost in the middle of an intersection when it happened. It lasted for about 5 seconds before turning back on. I was able to pull into a parking lot and I shut off the engine then after a few moments I restarted it. Luckily that has been the only time it has happened but I still worry about it doing the same thing again. At the time I was so shaken up that I went straight home because I did not want to get stranded. My SUV just hit 100K so I was looking up any inspections it might need and came across other complaints of the same issue for the same year.

- Anthony , NM, USA

Mar 092013

Escape

While accelerating at low speeds (15 - 20 mph), the vehicle suddenly began to shudder and lurch, with no increase in throttle or power despite flooring the gas pedal. Yellow check engine / repair lights came on, vehicle would jerkingly continue to move forward at a speed of less than 5 mph. After conducting a search, it appears to be similar to the "limp home mode" throttle body problem reported by the North Carolina consumers council.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Feb 092013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving approximately 55 on an interstate in middle of heavy traffic, my 2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L suddenly decelerated and went into limp mode. I carefully made it to the shoulder as speed dropped to about 5 miles an hour. While parked on the shoulder I noticed the warning light for the electronic throttle was lit. I shut off the engine and waited about 5 minutes. I restarted without incident. This is the 2nd time this has happened and it has been running rough as well.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 272013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle engine stalled I-10east went into emergency lane, vehicle was still trying to run the engine was choking but no acceleration. I stopped put the vehicle in park turned the key and it started. This has happened 3 times since the first time. I don't want to be a statistic.

- Westwego, LA, USA