2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Feb 142013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife and I were driving home from supper at a restaurant. We were on a busy city street doing about 30 mph, when the car suddenly lost power and slowed to around 1 to 2 mph. We managed to ease the car home(around 2blocks) amid horns blowing and lights flashing from other drivers.the engine light had come on and showed a picture of a wrench. When I explained to the lady at the Ford dealership the next day, she seemed to know right away that it would be a wrench showing, which made me assume that they had this problem before.....bill for repairs was $545.

- St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 152012

Escape 6-cyl

I recently read in a newspaper about an engine probe for Ford vehicles and would like to add that I have also experienced this problem with stalling and/or surging engine in my 2009 Ford Escape limited. I believe my car had experienced this "limp home mode" on the circuit board. On this particular day, I was driving in traffic and then all of a sudden I felt as though I could not accelerate the car at all. The rest of my trip home (approx. 25 miles) the car wouldn't let me surpass about 20mph. I was very scared but wanted to at least get the car closer to my home. I thought the car was done for. Yet, after letting the car rest for about an hour at home, I started it back up and it drove fine. I just wanted to share this experience of yet another person who could contribute to experiencing a malfunctioning circuit board.

- Sayville, NY, USA

Feb 192013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, the vehicle lost power. When pressing on gas it just coasted. The wrench warning light came on. Was able to get to side of the road, but almost got hit from behind. Turned vehicle off, restarted and was back on the road. On other occasions there has been some surging. I see that there has been many complaints on this problem and it is getting some press that there is a defective part (throttle body). I contacted Ford service and was told that they could look at it, but it is not under warranty. However, the wrench warning light indicate a power train issue, I was told it is not covered under the power train warranty. This does not make sense and it truly looks like a defective part. This is very unsafe and could result in a very bad accident in traffic. This needs to be a recall since they are aware of the issue.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 282009

Escape 6-cyl

Sudden surge and slow decline in speed. Pulled over turned off car, restarted and it was ok. 4 months later same thing. I have had it in 3 times for the same problem and was told it was a sensor. Last time Dec.2011 the mechanic told me to not fluctuate in speed since most occurrences happened on expressway. The problem still exists and it is scary but pulling over and turning off car then restarting puts it back to normal. I cannot afford to any more useless repairs nor another car. There is no speed or weather condition that appears to cause the problem. It can happen at any time without warning.

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Aug 032009

Escape 6-cyl

Stalling when going on gas to pass another car or up a steep hill. After releasing gas pedal quickly, car wants to still accelerates for a good three to four seconds. Also engine stalls out at low speeds when making a sharp turn, like into a parking space. Was told by dealer the first two are normal and the third item they could not find anything wrong.

- Adamstown, CA, USA

Feb 132013

Escape

Our 2009 Ford Escape is stalling and surging. The Escape suddenly decelerates like it is stalling out, on other occasions it accelerates and revs the engine really high then drops back down.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jan 022013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving in medium traffic, the engine died and the check-engine-light appeared on the dash. I was able to pull to the side of the road and re-start the car. Once back on the highway, the engine died again less than a quarter of a mile later. I started the car a second time and the engine once again died. By this time, traffic was beginning to back up behind me and I was entering an area where there was no shoulder to Escape to if it happened again. I pulled off the highway and called for a tow. The local Ford dealer said the throttle body had failed, they had recently replace a couple of others. Cost of the repair was $400. Ford said it was not covered under warranty. I retained the failed part and have it available for inspection.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Jan 082013

Escape

Stop and speed up and not want to move had to replace throttle body unit.

- St Ann , MO, USA

Jan 072013

Escape 6-cyl

This happened first on January 7 and again today jjnuary 10, 2013. The car suddenly stops. The yellow wrench warning light comes on and indicates throttle control problem. Can turn car off and restart and drive normally. It was very scary as my wife was left in the dark in the middle of a busy street. It seems to be very intermiitent. I have read others reports of this and Ford apparently is not taking action. This is very dangerous situation which many have reported.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Dec 162012

Escape

I was driving my vehicle in the center southbound lane on route 93 through the thomas P. O'neill tunnel in boston when all of a sudden, without any warning, my car stalled. The red engine light and oil light came on and the car began decelerating. There was a tremendous amount of traffic and I am unbelievably lucky to have avoided an accident. I guided the car to the right lane (there are no breakdown lanes in the tunnel). I turned the car off and restarted it and was able to continue my drive to my destination. I have read that there is an investigation into the throttle body on this vehicle. This is incredibly dangerous.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Dec 122012

Escape 6-cyl

As I was turning into my driveway at about 5mph my vehicle stalled hallway in the driveway and halfway in the street. The red engine light and oil light came on. I put the vehicle in park and restarted it. There were no lights on the dashboard at that time and I was able to drive into the driveway.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Dec 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and wrench light came on at the same time that the vehicle lost power. This had happened previously on 11/25/12 and the dealer repair was replacing both vct solenoids and valve cover gaskets. Both times when this had happened before I turned the engine off and restarted after 3-5 minutes. I was able to go another 6-8 miles and then the wrench light came back on. The second time, the check engine light came on and then seconds later 8 other lights were lit on the dash. I turned the engine off after coasting to the median of the highway (was in left lane with traffic at 55mph) and waited for a tow from the dealer. Now the dealer is telling me this repair (replacement of throttle body) is not covered as the vehicle is more than 3 years old (actually, I've had it for 44 months). I want Ford to pay for this repair as it seems rather common from what I'm seeing on-line.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 072012

Escape

Was driving on the interstate and the car stopped responding to the gas pedal. Car had to be towed to a Ford dealer, where it was determined the throttle body is bad and has to be replaced to the tune of $350. A google search reveals this is a known problem, there just hasn't been a formal recall yet.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 142012

Escape 6-cyl

My 2009 Ford Escape stalled (engine running but no forward motion and no response to accelerator) while driving. This happened while attempting to enter heavy traffic. I was almost rear-ended by oncoming vehicles. The problem was diagnosed as a problem with the throttle body by dealer. I had to pay to have the throttle body replaced. This is known defect, very similar to NHTSA action # DP12006: "...vehicles that were diagnosed as failed throttle bodies with diagnostic trouble codes P2111, throttle body stuck open, and P2222, throttle body stuck closed. The petitioner indicates that the owners of both vehicles reported experiencing repeated incidents of stalling..." Ford has "released a number of technical service bulletins that cover a wide range of vehicles and throttle body issues related to hesitation and stalling, including 08-18-2 and 09-23-5." this is a serious safety issue. I contacted Ford (both corporate and the dealership) and they have indicated that they will not take action to address this issue until a recall is initiated by the NHTSA.

- Burke, VA, USA

Feb 222012

Escape 6-cyl

In February 2012 (mileage approx 32900), I experienced jerking upon accelerating as my 2009 Ford Escape was changing gears. The dealer assessed it as a computer malfunction and reprogrammed the computer. My wife and I have had intermittent problems with jerking upon accelerating since. Then, on 10/20/2012 (mileage approx 38000), the vehicle stalled when my wife was accelerating to enter traffic on the interstate highway. Thankfully, she was able to get out of traffic without getting hit, and she and our 18 month old are ok. The dealership is replacing the throttle body. Not only was acceleration a problem, the seals on the front axle broke and spilled axle fluid on the drivers side, so the dealer is refilling the axle fluid and replacing the seals.

- Windcrest, TX, USA

Oct 092012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate when I started to lose power and the throttle control/drivetrain light came on. I pulled to the berm and the engine felt like it was missing and it would not respond when I pressed the accelerator. I turned the vehicle off, waited and then turned it back on. The light was off and it ran okay. I continued to work with no further problems. On the way home from work the exact same thing occurred only traffic was much heavier on the interstate so getting to the berm was much more hazardous. I turned it off and then back on and it ran okay again. I contacted my local Ford dealer and was able to schedule an appt for the next evening. The next day on the way to work the vehicle did the same thing as I pulled into an intersection. Traffic was light so I was able to stop turn it off and then back on and it ran okay. I took it to the dealer that evening and they kept it so their service dept could analysis the problem. The next evening they contacted me and advised they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. I picked it up and drove it to work and home the next day with no problem. The following day it occurred again and I contacted the dealer and they had me bring it in. I was approx. 15 miles from the dealership when I contacted them and the vehicle did the same thing 2 more times before I could get to the dealership, once in an intersection and once on the interstate. After they analyzed it again they advised me it was the throttle body actuator (code P2111 throttle body actuator stuck open forced to limit power) the vehicle has just over 37,500 miles on it so it is not covered by warranty. Looking on the web and the NHTSA website this doesn't appear unique to my vehicle. Since this occurs without any warning and has happened at very inopportune times this looks to be a safety concern.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Oct 132012

Escape 6-cyl

Shortly after entering highway on dark rainy evening, with no fore warning, car began to shake and lose power. Was able to pull to side of highway. Even though I was pressing on the gas, car would not go forward. Wrench light was illuminated on the dashboard. Called for assistance. When help arrived they suggested I turn off vehicle. When I turned back on, car was fine. The next day, with no warning, same thing occurs on neighborhood road. When we took to Ford dealer today, the problem did not repeat so they have no repair code. This is a very dangerous situation....could lead to accident on highway...I have to drive 17 miles to work on highway and I am scared.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Aug 192010

Escape

I was driving on the highway when the SUV started to decelerate. I was traveling at 70mph. The RPM did not change when I pressed the gas pedal. The SUV coasted to 0mph. I had to turn the car off for a few minutes. When I restarted it, it drove well enough to get to the Ford dealership. Diagnostics were run and I was told that it was a "hiccup" and nothing registered in the computer as an alert. I was told to return if it happened again but was told again that it was a "hiccup." The following week, it happened again as I was leaving work. I drove to the Ford dealership but this time I took video. I was told it was the throttle that needed to be replaced. Possibly a sensor?? I'm not sure. Because the SUV was out of warranty and it was a Saturday, Ford didn't know if my extended warranty would cover the part. They cleaned the throttle, I think, and told me to come back on Monday. I drove out into the road in front of the dealership and the throttle messed up again. The car decelerated. I turned it off, waited, turned it back on and drove back and paid for Ford to install the part. The car still seems to want to decelerate at times but it doesn't and there are no warning alerts/lights. Again, I do have video of what actually happened the 2nd time the SUV's throttle messed up.

- Raymondville, TX, USA

Aug 302012

Escape 6-cyl

Purchased used 2009 Ford Escape in August 2012. Ran fine for the first month then started to hesitate when accelerating. We are now having repeated hesitation and engine surging. We are becoming concerned about pulling into traffic and having the engine stall. With only 44000 miles in it, Ford will not pay for the repair because it is out of warranty. First Ford purchased in 30 years, probably the last too.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Aug 172012

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The engine continued running however, the vehicle would not accelerate. The check engine warning light illuminated once after the failure. The contact had to turn off and restart vehicle in order to resolve the failure momentarily. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who ran a diagnostic and discovered that the failure was caused by the variable cam timing solenoid. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was waiting to receive a response from the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 44,000.

- Cedar Creek , TX, USA