2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Jan 082015

Escape 6-cyl

My car will surge forward when I accelerate after a stop.

- Mount Gilead, OH, USA

Jan 042015

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicles feels like its going to stall then accelerates. It has been recalibrated before but, two months later we are having the same problem. There is also a leak on the left side of the vehicle looks to be transmission oil. Also, we can no longer open the tail gate.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 162014

Escape 4-cyl

After beginning acceleration from a stop light, my vehicle began to sputter and stalled out even though it was moving. I had to put it in park, turn the ignition off, and then turn it on in the middle of traffic. The gas tank was 3/4 full and the battery is only a year old.

- Sumter , SC, USA

Jul 282013

As I was entering an exit ramp off I 20 eastbound the car lost all power. It happened again while merging at I75/85 in atlanta. Luckily I was in the left lane and was able to pull over and restart the car. Again it lost power. Never did it give an error code. Once again it lost power and this time it the error light. Took the 3rd time before a code was shown.

- Thomson, GA, USA

Oct 182014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at 45mph and went to accelerate and when I pressed the gas- the engine felt like it was off- I still had electrical power. I was not able to give the car any gas at all. I coasted until I could pull off the road and when I stopped- the car was idling very rough. The "throttle control/ powertrain" light had come on. I turned off the car and sat for about 5 minutes. When I turned it back on, it idled rough for about 3-4 seconds and the light was still on. Then it smoothed out and the light went off and I was able to drive it back to my house (about 1 mile).

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Oct 032014

Escape 4-cyl

September 10 2014, vehicle was serviced at henry curtis Ford in petaluma California for recall 14S05. Prior to this recall, we had no problems with our vehicle. October 3 2014, vehicle stalled at 65 mph driving on highway. My wife was driving up hill on the highway in the far right lane and was able to pull off the highway to the shoulder. Vehicle towed to repair shop, unable to find any error codes. Vehicle towed to henry curtis Ford dealership in petaluma California where the vehicle was purchased new in 2008. A $145 diagnostic was done and only one error code was reported by the dealer. Code B1239 ( air flow blend door driver circuit failure). Vehicle could be driven as there were no check engine lights on at that time. We picked up the vehicle from henry curtis Ford, and drove home. October 10 2014. RPM's shifting up and down while driving on the highway at 65mph. Had vehicle towed to repair shop in san francisco. Serviced and replaced parts for B1239 error. Mechanic test drove vehicle and now another error code displays code P2112. P2112 Ford - throttle actuator control system error. The mechanic is replacing the throttle body and reprogramming the PCM. I called the Ford dealership and was told my VIN is not covered under any recalls for P2112. When I asked about consumer satisfaction program 13N03, I was told my VIN is not included. We had no problems with the vehicle prior to bringing it in for the recall 14S05. Now after that service we are having several problems and I have read that other vehicle owners are also having the same P2112 error. Ford should include our vehicle in this problem and see if the other two incidents we have are related some how. Everyone I spoke to at Ford did not want to help, but continue to charge me more diagnostic charges and repair. Thankfully we have an honest mechanic that is helping us out.

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Oct 062014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Slowing to stop at stop light in line of traffic on 10/6/2014, light turned green, traffic moving, attempted to accelerate, found car unable to do so, looked at dash, some lights were on (remember battery light, check engine light and possible oil light), but as I was in traffic, I was in a bit of a panic, I put car in park and turned key. Car started up and was able to run normally. On 10/10/14 in traffic driving at 25 miles an hour slowing to adjust to traffic, as accelerator is pressed to maintain this speed and keep up with traffic, car does not accelerate as gas is pressed, look down at dash, lights are on, remember battery light, check engine light, another one, possible oil, I was able to steer car off road into parking lot. Stopped car, put in park restarted and again was able to run normally. **this same thing happened about a year ago, was slowly driving into the driveway at work, and the car just wouldn't go.... I stopped, put it in park and restarted it, and have not had this problem again until now. At that time, I had the battery checked and battery was fine. As I do not have the date or mileage I can not report it in boxes above but feel it is noteworthy.

- York New Salem, PA, USA

Aug 132014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly looses power and idles hard. Repeatedly over the past month when trying to accelerate from a stop vehicle will loose all engine power. The vehicle will still move forward as if it was in gear without your foot on the gas/brake. I was almost T-boned when trying to make a left turn in the middle of an intersection and when I went to accelerate suddenly I had no power. I have to turn the engine off then start the vehicle again and it will work just fine. The check engine light comes on once the vehicle looses power but once you turn the car off and turn it back on it is gone.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Sep 032014

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled and the check engine light illuminated. The contact merged to an emergency lane where the vehicle was turn off and after restarting it resume normal function. Also, the contact noticed that when the accelerator pedal was depressed slowly, the vehicle would lunge forward. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact received a customer satisfaction program notification related to the failure that the vehicle was exhibiting. However, the dealer refused to provide the repairs listed since the failure code did not show during the diagnosis. Also, the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and explained that they were not obligated to honor the campaign unless the codes were available during the diagnosis. The approximate failure mileage was 98,500.

- Sanford , FL, USA

Jul 312014

On July 31st, my car was at a stop light, a minute after I pressed on the gas pedal, my car stalled (a light wrench on the dashboard appeared) -it would move maybe 1 mph but I was unable to accelerate on the gas pedal. After a moment, the vehicle was shaking...I turned off the vehicle and turned it back on, everything was fine, the light wrench disappeared. After 45 minutes later, on the road, the same thing happened again and I had to move to the shoulder to prevent any accidents from happening. Made an appointment with carmax less than a week later (because that is where I purchased the car, had it for a year). I was advised to come back if the same incident occurred because nothing happened since July 31st and they didn't want me to waste my money if they did not see anything. Since that appointment, the same incident happened numerous times during the week of August 3rd-9th. On Aug 16th, the wrench light appeared along with the engine light, went to my local mechanic and he mentioned that the throttle body needed to be replaced. It was confirmed today (Aug. 18th) when I went to an unscheduled appointment at carmax (even on my way there, the lights came back on) that the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Severn, MD, USA

Aug 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Check engine light came on as with the drive train light. Had computer read. Showing a P2119 code/throttle actuator control. Note: Vehicle was in Ford dealer on 24 July 2014 due to recall issued on PCM.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 252014

Escape 4-cyl

After fill-up, engine went into limp mode and vehicle would not accelerate. First instance happened while my daughter was pulling out into traffic and resulted in near accident. The engine has done this several additional times but not for long enough to set the trouble code or light. This resulted in a dangerous driving situation and all vehicles with this potential defect need to be recalled. Took to the Ford dealer on 7/28/14 and they advised me they could not fix the problem unless the trouble codes were stored in the PCM. 'this is not right- they need to repair because the NHTSA states that only approximately 50% of the vehicles with this problem have triggered the trouble codes.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jul 142014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Engine started in parking lot with a very rough idle. I thought it may be a fuel issue because the car started but dies immediately after giving gas to the pedal. The 2009 Ford Escape was towed to our mechanic and he reported it has a seized engine on the exhaust vavle #1 cylinder. I then had the car towed to the Ford dealership to have a new Ford engine replaced. I am concerned this is related to the gas throttle recall as the engine was running fine and with low miles and oil changes every 3,000 miles it just does not make sense. The Ford dealership cost for a new engine is $7000. You would hope Ford could stand by their recall product, but they said no warranty on powertrain. This is a very unfortunate and very expensive repair. Updated 4/24/2015

- Sebastopol, CA, USA

Jul 182014

Escape 4-cyl

I've had my vehicle serviced and was hold that I have a "perfuse" oil leak in my motor. And my motor has less than a 100,000 miles on it..

- Longview, TX, USA

Jul 092014

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. After restarting the engine the failure recurred. The contact indicated that during the incident the maintenance service sensor light had illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 91,320.

- Rome, GA, USA

Aug 132013

Vct solenoids and cam sensors are faulty. The vehicle stalls randomly, engine lags and exibits poor fuel mpg. The problem occured just out of warranty and upon research; I have discovered this issue is very vast with 2009-2011 Ford Escapes, Mercury mariners, 2010-2011 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine and built on or before 3-1-2011. My 2009 Ford Escape and many others vehicles should be recalled at no cost out of warranty.

- Byron, GA, USA

May 082014

My family were returning from vacation when the car decelerated with no warning. We were on the interstate and we were inches from being rear ended by the upcoming traffic. I have been told the issue is with the throttle body and that it is not being recalled because you can still drive it. How about you tell that to my terrified girls (ages 6 and under) that it is safe to have cars and trucks flying past you at 70 mph and you can't accelerate to move out of the way quick enough. A month later, the same thing happened to my wife returning from work. That's twice in 2 months. We have only the one car and have not been on vacation for fear of the car decelerating. I guess instead of being in the business of preventing accidents, people have to die first before anything will be done to protect consumers.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Jun 142014

The vehicle suddenly lost engine power, came nearly to a stop but continued to jump forward until I turned it off. I have been told the problem is the throttle body.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 242013

Was accelerating when the vehicle seemed to shut off. Vehicle restarted and about a month later did it again pulling away from an intersection. Dealer confirmed it was a faulty throttle body and charged 100 dollars to fix.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

May 202014

Had car set on cruise control, felt a pop or a snap under car, looked down and cruise went off and I was coasting, I had my foot in the gas and the RPM's were at 1000, gas was not revving and the RPM's didn't move, coasted to side of road. The engine sputtered as if it was going to shut off, but it didn't. I shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine, until 3 days later when it happened again. Have taken it to a Ford dealer 3 times and they claim that it is not tripping a code and that they can't replace the throttle body until they have a code. I don't know what else to do, I have been driving a loaner car since last Friday and they still haven't been able to recreate the incident.

- Murray, KY, USA