2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

The electronic throttle body on my 2009 Ford Escape failed while I was traveling at a high rate of speed on the highway causing my engine shut down.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jun 252013

A week after I bought a 2009 Ford Escape from a used dealership, I began having problems with the SUV. First the battery died, leaving me, my boyfriend and his 3 year old nephew stranded in Malibu until 10pm. The next day, we replaced the battery at an auto zone. As we started to drive home, my car surges and stalls. I turn the car off and on again and continue to drive but in about 20 feet, the car surges to a stop again and the "wrench light" turned on indicating a throttle control/powertrain problem. I have my car towed to the nearest body shop and the next day they tell me they cant fix my car and that I needed to get it towed to a Ford dealer. I contact the privately owned dealership where I bought my car (which is 40 mins away from my home) and they tell me they will get someone to tow my vehicle to them. A couple days later they tell me its a throttle body issue and that I needed to get it replaced. After they gave me a quote on how much repairs would cost, I told them I couldn't afford it so they tried cleaning the throttle body. After they cleaned it, they said my car was operable again but I would need to replace the throttle body as soon as I could. Since then I have driven my car almost 300 miles with no problems but I am still weary that my car will stall on me again so I will definitely have the part replaced once I have the money to do so. For a week while my car was in the shop(s) I did a lot of researching on my make and model SUV and I have read many complaints of people with a similar issue. What I don't understand is why the government hasn't issued a recall yet. Anyway, I'm just thankful I wasn't on the freeway or a busy street when my Escape decided to crap out on me. I could have been in a way worse of a situation.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when suddenly the car made a very hard jerk; it felt like the engine fell to the ground, and then no power when I put my foot on the gas peddle. I coasted to the side of the road which put me at the end of an entrance ramp onto the highway. I was so scared because of where my car ended up. I waited a few minutes and turned the car back on and drove about 30 ft and then the same thing happened... the terrible jerk and no power. I pulled over and waited for at least one hour for a tow truck. I am thankful it was not dark out. I was told by the Ford dealer that it was the throttle body. I have seen many reports on line of the same defective part. Besides this being a costly experience [if you do not have a warranty] it is very dangerous when this part goes out. This should definitely be a recalled item and people reimbursed for having to have this part replaced.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 302013

I purchased a 2009 certified used Ford Escape limited in October 2012. In February 2013, my vehicle began to stutter when slowing down at stop lights, etc. I took my truck into a Ford dealership and they said it was an issue with the engine and it was covered under my warranty. In may, my vehicle started exhibiting the same symptoms except this time it actually began to shut off when slowing down at stop signs and stop lights. One day I was driving and it began to slow down, stutter to the point of jerking, and it completely shut off. I ended up having to pull over, even on the freeway. After it shut off, it would turn on after leaving it off for a minute or two. I took my vehicle back into the same dealer that repaired it in February because I thought it was the same issue but worse. They examined it and said that it was an issue with the throttle body and that it is not covered under my warranty. They also informed me that the part was on back order. I paid $106 to have it examined and was told that it would be approximately $508 total to repair and that the part was on back-order and would not be for two weeks. I called back and advised the customer service rep that I wanted to proceed with having my vehicle repaired. We got off the phone and later that afternoon, I received a call stating that part was never ordered and that I needed to pay for the part in advance, $172. I researched online and saw that Ford has had multiple complaints regarding throttle bodies. It seems as though I'm paying for a repair that I should not have to. I have not been able to drive my car for two weeks because it is too dangerous to drive. The dealer offered no other alternatives outside of renting a car which is extremely expensive for a two week rental. Thankfully, I've been able to borrow a car.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle randomly slips into limp-home mode at slow speeds and highway speeds. The wrench light turns on and the accelerator is non-responsive. If the vehicle is put into park and the engine is shift off, it restarts with no problem...until a random time further down the road. Monday it happened 5 times; Tuesday it happened 3 times.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 262013

In September of 2010, the check engine light on my Ford Escape would come on and off, on and off. Some times it would stay on for weeks and then just disappear. Sometimes it would stay on for a day or two and then disappear. And whenever I need to take it to the repair shop, the check engine light was never on. Pep boys could never find anything wrong because they check engine light was never on, and no codes appeared. When pep boys drove the car, it never stopped on them. In April of 2012, as my son was home from college and driving the car, it shut off on him on the freeway on many occasions. He would explain to me that the engine went off and the car would not accelerate. He would have to pull over and either restart it or wait an hour for it to start sometimes. This happened on numerous occasions at fast and slow speeds. The check engine light and maintenance lights would come on. The car began stopping on me with the exact same problems stated above. Every time I took the car to pep boys, they would drive it for hours and it never stopped on them. On April 29, 2012, I took the car in to pep boys, and the stop engine code read that the cam sensor needed to be replaced. I got the car back on may14, 2012, and it immediately stopped on me. Then it ran good for two weeks, then it began stopping again on a regular basis. On June 21, 2012, I took the car in and the codes read throttle problem. They replaced the throttle and I got the car back on June, 29, 2013. I have spend over $3500 on this problem and would like to get reimbursed. One thing to not is that the original check light began to come on around August of 2011 and there never was a clear diagnosis until may and June of 2013.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

As I pulled out of my driveway my car appeared to stall. A wrench warning light came on and the car had very little power. It felt as if I was in neutral. I was able to pull it in front of my house and called a Ford dealership who had it towed. The problem is the throttle body but the part is on back order. I was told that there are 8,000 requests for the part but it is currently not being produced so the wait could be months or longer. I was told that I would have to pick up my car and drive it as is, as a replacement car was not available. I asked if it was possible to get the part threw a different company and was advised that the part cannot be found anywhere but I may be able to get a used one from a wrecked car. When I picked up my car and drove it home it stalled twice. I did as I was advised by Ford, I turned off the car, waited a few minutes and then restarted the car. This worked both times but is not a very safe way to drive. Fortunately I had someone following me and we both had our hazards on as the cars behind us were not happy when I had to stop in the middle of the road.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Oct 112010

Escape 6-cyl

We bought the SUV used at a Chevrolet dealership in. June 2010, and in October we started having issues. The vehicle wouldn't start. We had it towed to a Ford dealership where they had it for 10 days and couldn't. find a problem. We drove it for approximately 7 months, 14,000 miles then it happened again...we had it towed to another garage, and they had it a couple of days with no problems June 2012 it wouldn't. start again. This time it restated after 40 minutes. It went into a safe mode, where I drove it home at 5 mph. Waited 30 minutes unhooked the battery cables waited 15 minutes and hooked them back up, ,and it started and ran fine for a few days then started dying while driving at any speed. Took it to auto zone to read any codes...none were identified. This is happening more frequently now. Is going back to Ford on tuesday7/2/13. This is a very dangerous problem, that needs to be addressed.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Jun 292013

Escape 6-cyl

About a year to year and a half ago I lost all forward motion while driving, could not get the car to respond to the accelerator, and the "wrench" light came on. I made it to the side of the road and a few minutes later it started it right up. This happened several times over a couple of weeks period, I took it to our Ford house but they could not find any issues. I then took it to my local mechanic and he said he thought it was a throttle issue but couldn't find the exact problem, so he suggested we take it back to the Ford house and let them "put it on the computer" and look again. I did but they said although they unplugged and reconnected several things they still could not find anything wrong. I didn't have any problems for a few months and now it has started happening again, 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Now it sputters some when I restart it but so far it has started. I have a toddler and depend on my car to get us around and this is a very real safety concern. Getting rear-ended or run over while trying to get off the road is a huge fear. It sounds like when I take it back to the Ford house, and I will, the wait on the part will still mean I'll be driving an unsafe vehicle for a while.Ford needs to pay attention before there is a fatality and then the whole world will know how much they care about their customers.

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Jun 222013

While traveling at 45 mph on a busy road, the engine stopped responding to the accelerator and began decelerating. The throttle/power-train warning light was activated. I had to pull over the the shoulder of the road to avoid being hit by other traffic. The car began jerking forward as though it was trying to accelerate on its own. I shut off the engine for a minute and once I restarted the car, the warning light was no longer illuminated. The next day (6/23/2013) I drove to my closest Ford dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle body. The service advisor informed me that the part was currently backordered and that they had 15 other Ford vehicles currently waiting for inventory to arrive. The cost of repair is $473. The mechanic cleaned out the carbon from my throttle body as a temporary fix until the part arrived. Two days later (6/25/2013), as I was driving 55 mph, the same problem occured and I was forced to pull over and restart my vehicle. While driving back to the Ford dealership the next morning to get a rental car, my car stopped responding as I was crossing train tracks (and I was able to restart the vehicle). Now my car is currenly sitting at the Ford dealership and I am paying an additional $33 a day for a rental car while I wait for the part to arrive (estimated to be 10-13 days). NHTSA action # DP12006.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 252013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle throttle stuck open at 45 mph.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 062013

While driving the engine suddenly would no longer respond to the gas pedal and would not accelerate. After pulling over and restarting the car, the problem went away. However, after a few days the problem happened twice more, this time with the engine completely shutting off while idling at a stop light and while driving slowly down a neighborhood street. The garage determined there to be a problem with the throttle body and it needed to be replaced.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was leaving our local store and turned onto the access road to have my car start shaking and won't go faster than about 4 mph. Right after, the powertrain symbol came on followed the engine light. With my hazard lights on I crept into the closest parking lot and turned off the car, waited a few minutes and then started it again. When turned back on the lights were all gone, so I assumed it was a fluke. Until I started driving and as soon as I turned everything turned back on and the shaking happened again. I had to have my vehicle towed to the dealership. The dealership told me the it was the throttle and that the part was on back order because of so many of the Escapes breaking in the same part. Now its the sit and wait game for weeks!

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on my way home from a camping trip yesterday and my vehicle suddenly stopped moving while I was on the freeway. I pulled over quickly. The engine was still running, but kept jerking forward with my foot on the brake. I turned off my vehicle and restarted it. I was able to drive for about a mile until I got up to 50 mph and then it did the same thing. I had it towed to the dealership and they said the part is on back order. The cost to repair it is $325. The vehicle is only at 74,000 miles and I have had issues with the transmission since I bought the vehicle 2 years ago. The part needed is on back order which leads me to believe Ford needs to do a recall. I do not feel safe in my vehicle and will never buy a Ford vehicle again.

- Waterford , MI, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving in town and it just had nothing... pushed on accelerator and it would not do anything. Car did not stall out, sounded like it was going to but didn't. still had all power just would not move when giving it gas. ***took to mechanic error number shows bad throttle body part***

- Cave City , AR, USA

Jan 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I had gone of the gas, the vehicle was rolling at about 5miles/H, engine running, towards an intersection when the light turned green and I wanted to accelerate. I stepped on the gas, there was no acceleration, the engine stalled and completely shut off. All engine lights came on similar to when you initially insert the key before starting the car. The Escape came to a complete stop at the side of the road. There were no warning lights present, the vehicle was not overheating, it had been serviced and had no prior issues. After putting it back into park I was then able to restart the vehicle without any issues and continue driving. This first happened in January and has since occurred twice again in similar situations, slow rolling and then stalling after an attempt to accelerate.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Wife was coming home form work; she was in the parking, suddenly the power train light came on and the car surged then had no power, pressing gas peddle did nothing, she thought the car stalled and could not restart it. After a few minutes of waiting she started it back up and the throttle responded, so she continued to pick up our kids. Once she was on the road traveling approximately 40 mph the exact same thing happened again. Her father was following her, and after a few minutes of waiting, they where able to restart and continue the drive. Her father drove the car the rest of the distance and, the problem happened again. Fortunately in all 3 situations they where able to pull over and off the road. Car has been in the shop since Thursday of last week awaiting for a new electronic throttle body which apparently is on major back order. Attempted to contact our Ford dealer but was greeted with less then friendly customer service from the service center. Car is out of warranty, and repair is going to be over $325 (quoted) if our repair shop can get the part. My wife and myself are very concerned about this as the problem happened once before several months ago, and happened on a very busy street, fortunately no one rear ended her. At that time we had Ford tow the car to their service center and inspect the car, they claimed there was no problems found and no service codes, and returned the car back to us as is.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

P2111 error per computer - throttle actuator stuck open. Vehicle will not accelerate and engine shakes violently, feels like it wants to stall, but does not. Needs to be shut off and restarted to accelerate again. Problem has now happened 6 times in the last 2 days.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jun 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Upon turning left through an intersection from a red light, I accelerated to reach about 30 miles per hour. Then the vehicle started slowing down slightly so I pressed on the gas slightly but nothing happened. I then noticed that the lights on the dash were lit (there is a light that looks like a wrench). I turned the radio off and it seemed that the engine was not running. I was able to pull over, place the vehicle in park, and start the engine. It seemed like I had full control over steering and braking to pull over, but perhaps that was just the slow rate of speed I was at. Now everything appears to be normal now, however I am concerned as I googled this issue and there seems to be many folks indicating the same problem, suspecting something to do with the throttle. This has happened twice to me. The first time about 6 months ago, with this time being the most recent.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 032013

While driving at 60 mph, the car went in to limp mode. We costed to the shoulder turned car off. It re started no issues, check engine light came on. Took to my mechanic who clean throttle body plate. Car ran great for about 5 days then again same problem arises. Call Ford to purchase part and told it is on national back order no idea when the part could be available. So I am not stuck with a car that could get me or my family hurt.

- Bellevue, NE, USA