2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Jun 032013

Escape

While driving at 60 mph, the car went in to limp mode. We costed to the shoulder turned car off. It re started no issues, check engine light came on. Took to my mechanic who clean throttle body plate. Car ran great for about 5 days then again same problem arises. Call Ford to purchase part and told it is on national back order no idea when the part could be available. So I am not stuck with a car that could get me or my family hurt.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jun 132013

Escape

Vehicle stalled and hesitated, check engine light and wrench light illuminated and vehicle went into limp mode. Pulled over and turned off vehicle when restarted lights were no longer illuminated, drove about a half mile and it happened again, repeated pulling over and restarting the vehicle, drove another 12 miles and it occurred again.

- Chilhowie, VA, USA

May 112013

Escape 4-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost power at approx 55 mph while driving on an expressway. Although steering and braking was available, acceleration was not. The orange "wrench" warning light activated. I was able to drive to the shoulder, turn off the engine, and restart. This has recurred several times since this first incident. So far, I have been able to get to the shoulder each time and it has restarted. But this is a very dangerous defect that is fully discussed on the internet. A large volume of "throttle body" issues associated with this and other Escape models is documented on various websites. There is never any advance warning of when this may occur, and it has occurred at a variety of speeds and road conditions. The potential danger associated with this obvious defect should warrant a recall from Ford. It is just a matter of time before this defect leads to a serious accident if it already has not done so.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Jun 152013

Escape

The car was running fine, then suddenly the engine seemed to die and the gas pedal stopped doing anything. The car then started vibrating and I had to get over to the side of the road before it lots its velocity. I restarted the car and it seemed fine; then later in the day the exact same thing happened. At other moments, sometimes while stopped, it seemed like the car revved its own engine (as if I was pressing the gas pedal, but I was not.) I could have been injured or injured someone if it was not for the fact that the road was narrow and I was able to get over to the side on time. I had it towed to the dealer, who told me the problem was the throttle body and that the throttle body was not covered under my extended warranty.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Jun 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving again today and truck just shut off this is the second time in last two weeks is Ford go to recall this problem pulled code and code number is 2112 same code as before.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 062013

Escape 6-cyl

I have been having issues with the throttle body in my 2009 Ford Escape. When I drive my car, it randomly stops accelerating and my car stops running. This is a big safety hazard. My car has stopped in the middle of a busy roads. Cars could also easily hit me when my car randomly stops.this problem is resolved once I turn off my car and turn it back on, but it continues to happens many times. I have read many reports from other people with the same issue and something should be done about this as this problem puts people in serious danger.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Apr 302013

Escape

I was stopped at a light. When the light turned green, I stepped on the accelerator and as the car got to about 5 mph, it went into what is referred to as the "limp mode." When I stepped on the accelerator, nothing happened. The engine "wrench" light came on, the engine idled at about 800 RPM, and it took about a minute or more for the car to "limp" out of the intersection. I turned off the engine, and restarted it. It then worked fine. I took it to the dealer, which was less than a mile from where this happened. After several days, they said they could find nothing wrong. Now in June ( several months later), we had an instance where it happened again. I searched on the internet and saw you were investigating. I printed out the article, took it to the dealer and said this is exactly what happened. The dealer said it was a circuit problem, but the replacement part was on back order and it may take "weeks" for them to get the part. We drove the car once more and the same " limp mode" kicked in 3 times in a 3 mile trip. While turning off the engine and restarting the engine seems to clear the problem, this is extremely dangerous if the vehicle goes into the limp mode when it is necessary to accelerate the cross a road, etc. While my vehicle is under extended warranty, and hopefully it will be repaired satisfactorily, this is potentially an extremely dangerous malfunction and I am reporting it so that you can take it into consideration in your investigation. My vehicle was manufactured in July 2008, according to the sticker on the door.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

I accelerated from a stopped position and in approximately 100 feet the accelerator stop working. The engine did not die but the vehicle would only idle at a slow pace. I stopped the car, put in park, turned off the engine and then restarted. The accelerator worked at that time and I continued onto the highway with no problem. I was traveling at 75 mph for about 10 miles when the accelerator stopped working again and the vehicle slowed to an idle. I repeated the same process as before, stop, put in park, turned off engine and restarted. The accelerator worked again and I continued on 10 miles and made it home. The next available day the vehicle was taken to the Ford dealership. I experienced (2) of the same scenerios listed above along my 6 mile route to the dealership. After (2) days the problem was diagnosed as a defective throttle body with a $574 price tag to repair. The service person stated this was not covered under warranty or a recall item. She then stated that the part was on a "national backorder" and would not be available for another month. This leads me to believe this is happening alot!! I have read several articles on the internet about this same type of issue happening to other Ford Escapes, varying years and was surprised there has not been a recall. The incident started when I was out of town, headed toward home at approimately 11:00 pm. It could have been an even more dangerous situation if I had lost power trying to turn across traffic or was on a much busier highway when this happened. I hope others are aware of this website.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 122012

Escape 6-cyl

Car decelerated and wrench sign came on. Had to put car in park to get it to restart. Kept losing power.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 022013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving on the highway. The wrench light comes on. I press the gas pedal and there is nothing. The engine is still running but giving it gas will not help it to move. I put my hazards on and pull off road. I shut the car off and restart. This works but the engine light comes on. Now it just shuts down sporadically. I cannot be sure when or where it will happen. Took it to the dealer (town and country Ford) and I am waiting for a replacement throttle body. I contacted Ford Motor Company where I have my loan and they said even if the part is defective it is not covered under any warranties.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Jun 032013

Escape 4-cyl

Lost power while driving, applied pressure to the accelerator and nothing.after a year of intermittent problems with this I took it into Ford dealership and they diagnosed a faulty throttle body....trouble code P 2111.diagnostic trouble codes (dtc) P2111, throttle body stuck open. Its cost me us$275. I think Ford must be assume the cost because is car failure from fabric. Let me know about the recall for the NHTSA action number : DP12006.

- Santo Domingo, VI, USA

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and engine lost power check engine light on pulled code 2112.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 102012

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving cruise control down the highway when the gas pedal lost affect. The car would no longer accelerate. I stopped on the side of the highway and it was shaking. I shut the car off and restarted it. Worked fine the rest of the day. I know its something to do with the throttle body. It has done it maybe 200 times since then and almost caused a serious car crash the last time.

- Del City, OK, USA

Dec 282012

Escape 6-cyl

We have had problems with this vehicle from day one. Currently the big issue is the throttle body (which I've seen has been a problem with all the Ford Escapes). Also the mass air flow system, heating/air, and security system (also it has a problem not starting---not sure if that's also throttle body). Is this being recalled?

- Richmond, KY, USA

Jun 062013

Escape

It's a throttle issue. I took it in and they read the code. It's the same thing that's happening to everyone else yet there is no recall. This happened to me about 6 mos ago as well. Last night it died 7 times while trying to get home after work. This is very dangerous and needs to have a recall. This is a common issue. I'm obviously going to have to get this fixed for the safety of myself and anyone else in the car with me. I hope they take care of this soon. It can happen anywhere and regardless of the speed. You have to pull over if possible and turn it off and on again to reset it.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Apr 012013

Escape 6-cyl

For past couple months have had issue where car "stalls"...feels as if in neutral...will not rev...after being stopped at stop light. Concerning because there is no warning as to when event will occur. Extremely dangerous. Have been stuck under major intersections and nearly rammed from behind on each occasion. Wrench symbol comes on when occurs. Have taken to dealership and was told that my Escape needs a new throttle body. Have been without my car for past week because the part is on "emergency backorder" from national supplier. I have filed complaint with Ford and have been told that a supervisor would contact me...has been 1 wk and they have not called back. Have called 3 times total. Dealership refuses to pay for rental...so I am footing the bill for that at this time. This issue needs investigation...if a past is on "emergency backorder" there must be a national problem with this throttle body issue. Please investigate this issue...it is dangerous. Recall this part! for all those experiencing same problem..make sure to call Ford and get a case #...call: 1-800-241-3673. Do not rely on dealership to report issue. The more people who report the issue, the more likely something will be done.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Jun 042013

Escape

0630hr reversed car from garage reached road 30ft, then placed in D accelerated to about 15mph then sudden lost of power and deceleration similar to applying brake drive went into 'limp' mode without warning.a wrench showed up as a fault warning on the dash. This is the first time this has happened.

- Darien, WI, USA

May 312013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced however, the dealer stated that the part was not available because it was being re-manufactured. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 07/23/13

- Montgomery, AL, USA

May 312013

Escape

On Friday, May 31, 2013 while I was on my way to work, my vehicle suddenly stopped accelerating. Luckily I was able to pull off into a bank and turn my car off and then back on again. I pulled out into the street and into the left lane to make a left turn. Half way through the intersection the vehicle stalled/stopped accelerating again. I just purchased this vehicle two weeks ago. I had to have it towed in to the shop where they determined that it was, surprise surprise the throttle body assembly. After reading through hundreds of complaints in just the last two weeks regarding this exact same issue, I am confused as to why there is no action being taken by the NHTSA" shouldn't there be a recall or something" I would like to know if my car is going to be safe to drive even after they replace this part. Something obviously needs to be done here. This issue not only affects the public safety, but my major investment seems to be turning into a disaster. Please address this issue immediately.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 152012

Escape

While driving on a busy highway my car stalls out and shuts off forcing me to pull over and turn the key to off position, waiting several minutes before allowing me to turn the car back on and having to rev the engine for it to turn completely over. A couple miles down the road while coming to a stop or slowing to a stop the car does this again. This will happen about 4 times a day while driving and will happen for about 2-3 days, then will run like it should without incident. About 4-5 months later it will start up again, while driving the car will stall out and this happens several times a day while driving, for a few days. I've taken the car to autoshops to try and figure out the issue and no one seems to be able to detect the problem. This not only is scary, but extremely dangerous.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA