2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 14)

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the road at approximately 70 mph all of a sudden I had no throttle control all I was doing was coasting on the momentum that I had at that moment. I happened to coast into a gas station had to get the car towed to a local dealer. This was not covered by warranty on Monday so I had to pay almost $500 for the repairs. Had this happen on a busy interstate it could've been a lot worse than it was.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jun 102013

As I was driving home from work, my vehicle stopped moving. I pressed on the gas, but it would not accelerate. I had to pull over and turn my vehicle off. When I restarted it, it came on, but there was a wrench light that appeared. I was able to make it home, but when I tried to restart it, it would not move.

- Star, NC, USA

Jun 032013

While driving on major thorough fair at a high rate of speed, the vehicle lost all speed. Went to limp mode. The gas pedal did not work. I pulled over to the emergency lane and restarted the vehicle and all was fine. This exact same thing happened again later that same day. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer and they confirmed it was the throttle body assembly. They could not guarantee the vehicle was safe to drive. Nor could they fix it. This was due to the fact the Ford was not currently releasing the part.

- Harrisburg, IL, USA

Jun 092013

At or about 2:30pm on Sunday, June 9, 2013, the identified vehicle was being operated on a limited-access state highway at or around the posted speed limit of 70 mph. The vehicle took an exit ramp onto the frontage road and decelerated to posted speed limit of 50 mph. Without warning or any prior indication, the vehicle entered the Ford-defined "limp home mode, " which included a loss of engine power (governed to approximated 900 RPM in second gear), and the vehicle experienced rapid deceleration to approximately 10 mph on the high-speed three-lane roadway with medium to medium-heavy traffic. Upon pulling the vehicle to safety in a parking lot, the vehicle experienced rough idling and the dashboard illuminated a "throttle control/power train fault" warning light. Upon cycling the engine off and on, engine ignition took longer than typical to start by several seconds, but appeared to otherwise function properly. Upon re-entering the roadway, an experience similar to that described above occurred after shifting to third gear. After-market diagnostic computer indicates the vehicle has a P2112, "throttle actuator control stuck closed, " code. Engine was cycled and entry to roadway was attempted again; similar episode occurred when shifting to third gear. Vehicle was towed to a Ford dealership for service, which is pending at the time of this report.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Escape 4-cyl

Lost power while driving, applied pressure to the accelerator and nothing.after a year of intermittent problems with this I took it into Ford dealership and they diagnosed a faulty throttle body....trouble code P 2111.diagnostic trouble codes (dtc) P2111, throttle body stuck open. Its cost me us$275. I think Ford must be assume the cost because is car failure from fabric. Let me know about the recall for the NHTSA action number : DP12006.

- Santo Domingo, VI, USA

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and engine lost power check engine light on pulled code 2112.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 102012

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving cruise control down the highway when the gas pedal lost affect. The car would no longer accelerate. I stopped on the side of the highway and it was shaking. I shut the car off and restarted it. Worked fine the rest of the day. I know its something to do with the throttle body. It has done it maybe 200 times since then and almost caused a serious car crash the last time.

- Del City, OK, USA

Apr 222013

I had to get the throttle body replaced on my 2009 Escape because the car engine would disengage and the gas pedal would stop working. The car would coast to a stop and I would have to shut it off and cut it back on to get it to re-engage. This happened ever couple of days for a few weeks and then I took it to the dealer. The dealer has had my car for almost a month and claims that there was a bad production batch that caused a national backlog of parts. The call center has been unresponsive and Ford is claiming that I have to pay full price for the part even though I have been without a car for nearly a month.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 192013

In September of 2012, I had a problem with the ability to accelerate completely gone when I was going 40 mph in a crowded intersection. The wrench light came on. I got into a rite aid parking lot and called the dealership (my vehicle was still under warranty). They told me to try to restart it and see if the wrench light turned off. It did not and I could not restart the car, so I had it towed in. They told me the battery had died and once it was replaced they couldn't recreate the throttle issue so they couldn't fix that per my warranty. Then 3 weeks ago, I got off the expressway. And about 10 minutes later the car did the same thing. It was a very dangerous situation because there are no places to pull off this particular road and the speed limit is high. I got half in and half out of the lane and restarted it. I was able to get back home and I called the dealership the next day. They told me it was the throttle body and apparently are willing to fix it without the wrench light now because I am no longer under warranty (65000); however the part is on national back order. This same "national backorder problem" occurred two years ago when my transmission in the same car quit working and I was in a rental car for 7 weeks! the problem has recurred 3 times now, and they have cleaned the throttle body, but still no signs of a part. This is a very dangerous problem and I think Ford needs to be held accountable for the inability to stand behind their products.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

May 312013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced however, the dealer stated that the part was not available because it was being re-manufactured. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 07/23/13

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 152012

While driving on a busy highway my car stalls out and shuts off forcing me to pull over and turn the key to off position, waiting several minutes before allowing me to turn the car back on and having to rev the engine for it to turn completely over. A couple miles down the road while coming to a stop or slowing to a stop the car does this again. This will happen about 4 times a day while driving and will happen for about 2-3 days, then will run like it should without incident. About 4-5 months later it will start up again, while driving the car will stall out and this happens several times a day while driving, for a few days. I've taken the car to autoshops to try and figure out the issue and no one seems to be able to detect the problem. This not only is scary, but extremely dangerous.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 302013

We had seen some issues with power when accelerating, but was minor until May 30th, 2013. We were driving in stop and go traffic and when I accelerated the engine "bogged down" and didn't accelerate. The car wouldn't move forward. We had just filled up and originally believed it was bad gas. It happened about 4 more times as we got home (engine light was on and little wrench icon shows up on bottom left of dash when the problem occurs). It did this about 5 more times on our drive home. I took it to the local Ford dealer which informed me that the throttle body was bad and needed replaced. I then googled: Throttle 2009. The first thing that appeared was the Ford Escape and the articles described what I was dealing with too. From what I can tell today, Ford is releasing a (new engineered designed) throttle body that should be available June 6th and I have to wait for so that I don't get another bad part. I find it ridiculous that they are basically admitting to producing a defective part, but I have to pay $400 to fix my car...while waiting a week for the new part to come in.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

May 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a busy freeway in houston my car jerked, the wrench light lit up, then would no longer accelerate. I was able to get over the shoulder of the freeway, but the car would not move after that. It stayed on, but was bouncing up and down. I had to have my car towed off the freeway. Once towed, we turned the car off and back on and it ran fine. I took it to a local mechanic the next day and was told everything looked fine, I drove it the following day. On the freeway, it happened again. I immediately took it to the Ford dealership, where I was told the throttle body needs to be replaced, but this part is on national back order with no delivery date in sight. Ford has been giving me the run around since last week regarding the part and rental assistance. My husband and I were advised by a Ford service manager that the car is still "drivable, " however, the problem will happen again. He told us when it does, to simply turn the car off and back on and it should run fine for a short time. I expressed serious concern regarding this advice as houston streets and highways are extremely busy. To date, I have received no assistance and no more information on when this part will be available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 282012

First incident occurred end of November, car stalled while traveling on rte 7 in ct. Brought the car to Ford where I was told the diagnostic box registered the issue was with the fuel sensors. The fuel sensors were replaced and the car had no issue until April. In April, car stalled again. I brought it to the dealer and the box did not register anything. Last week (May 21st), I left my office to go on lunch break and the car stalled 4X. I drove (?) the car straight to the dealer which is less than a mile away. The car registered that it was the throttle body issue. Since this is a well known issue with these cars, the part is back ordered with an unknown completion date. The dealer then cleaned out my current throttle body and told me that this was a temporary 3 mos fix. This morning 5/29, the car died again 4X on I-95. 2 of the 4X it stalled, I was in near accidents. This is a widely documented issue with Ford and it's incredible to me that there hasn't been a recall on these cars. This is a very serious safety issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost power, wrench icon and check engine light came on. Car lost all mobility and use of gas peddle. Luckily was on a street and not a highway. After turning the car on and off the car appeared to be working normally. Several minutes later the condition repeated itself, and then once again several minutes later after turning the car off and on again. Took car to get error code and returned a P2112 error code referencing the throttle body. This is an extremely dangerous defect, and could easily have caused a serious wreck if at high speed. Or intersection. Car is currently at the dealer.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 282013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving along when my vehicle began to sputter and stop. I was able to crank the vehicle up and drive a few feet before it started back up again, this time with the check engine light on. I was able to make it to an advanced auto parts store where they pulled the check engine error code and it indicated that it was an issue with the throttle body. I am able to drive it currently, but I am concerned that the throttle will stick just as I'm attempting to cross a busy intersection.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

May 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I drive a 2009 Ford Escape automatic with a V6 engine. On Sunday, May 26, 2013 at approximately 1:00 am, I was driving at 70 mph on interstate 10 West. Suddenly, I heard a single click sound. The wrench was illuminated on my dash board and the accelerator pedal stopped working. No matter what I did, nothing happened. I was terrified that I would be rear ended by the cars behind me for slowing down suddenly, so I put on my hazard lights and moved to the interstate median. I turned my truck off for a few minutes and then restarted it. I was able to proceed home with no further issue. This whole incident came with absolutely no warning. If a light indicating that service was needed, I could have avoided this nightmare. I am now learning that there is a defect with this vehicle.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 122013

Escape 4-cyl

Truck failed to accelerate from a red light, with pedal completely engaged. Had continued loss power/thrust when I push the gas. This happens so often now, I am not comfortable driving in heavy traffic as I never know if I'll be able to accelerate. Sunday after finally getting home, I was unable to get it to stay cranked when I depress the gas pedal to reverse. This loss of power was exuberated by having the A/C running. First the timing cover leaks at 22, 761, then a pulley falls off the engine at 40,149 spraying oil all over my interior via the A/C. after the pulley was replaced the car would idle high and then started jerking as if it wanted to stall, took to Ford dealership and was told there were no codes, finally had the tech drive with me and he felt the jerking. After three visits for this, in November 2012 at 50,000 I was am told the coil pack needs to be replaced, now at 55, 063 miles I am told it is the throttle body that needs to be replaced" I think I was sold a lemon and in the state of Florida that's illegal. What if I am rear ended due to the horrible craftsmanship of your product"

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

Entering interstate, car would not accelerate above 40 mph. Code reader says throttle control stuck open?

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Mar 152013

Escape 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph the vehicle stalled. Additionally, the vehicle surged suddenly while driving under 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the throttle body would had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA