2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 14)

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle there is frequent surging and stalling with eventual result in a nonresponsive gas pedal. The check wrench service light and the engine light were illuminated and the vehicle would become responsive again if the engine was turned off then back on. After restarting the vehicle would soon begin to surge and stall again.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Aug 312011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Fall of 2011, I noticed that my gas pedal was not always responsive. Coming off a stop or low speeds, the gas pedal would not respond until after I had pumped it and pressed it nearly to the floor, then my Escape would take off, squealing tires and all. I noticed it a couple times on the highway as well, slowing for a curve and then unable to promptly accelerate coming out of the curve. Then one day I was on the highway and the gas pedal was completely unresponsive, and my car just completely shut off. This was really bothering me because there were multiple times I felt like I was going to get hit when I couldn't accelerate out of an intersection. I took the vehicle back to hastings Ford, and after multiple appointments and keeping my vehicle for several days, they were unable to confirm or repair anything. I kept driving it for a while, the same issues still happening, and then after the second time the car shut off on the highway, and after consulting a relative who is a former Ford mechanic, I brought it to another dealership. They kept the car the max number of days they were allowed to without repairing anything, and found on the last day that it was a faulty throttle body. The replaced the throttle body but the issue still lingers. And I also feel a short vibration in the pedal nearly every time I accelerate from a slow or stop. I still do not feel the issue is fully resolved. I still consider my throttle body to be defective.

- Lexington, MN, USA

May 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Stopped at light, went to acceclerate to go on green light and had no acceleration. Turned vehicle off and it restarted, went immediately to Ford.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light and when the light turned green I pressed the accelerator but the engine seemed to have stalled. I did have slight forward momentum that was jerky and I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I turned the car off, sat for a few minutes, then tried to restart the car. The car did start and no warning lights were on the dashboard. I was able to drive to my subdivision without incident but once I turned into my neighborhood the car stalled again. The car was then towed to my Ford dealership where I was told the throttle needed to be replaced. Since the throttle is considered an electrical component it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. The bill was approximately $670. I was not told this was a common incident in my model and year of car.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Feb 112013

Vehicle stalled when attempting to accelerate after stopping at a light. Vehicle would move approximately 3 mph. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in the display area. Drove (very slowly) vehicle into a parking lot. Shut off vehicle, restarted it, and did not get engine "rev" when depressing gas pedal. Approximately 30 minutes later, the vehicle started and operated normally. Had vehicle towed to repair shop (didn't trust it to drive it). Shop inspected the vehicle in a number of ways the next day and could not reproduce or identify the problem. They said that the on-board event recorder did not record an event. That was the first incident. The 2nd and 3rd incidents occurred today, April 24 2013. Vehicle again stalled while attempting to accelerate at an intersection. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in display area. Pulled into a parking lot, shut off vehicle, and then it started again and ran. About 2 minutes later, the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 40 mph. Again pulled off the main road and restarted the vehicle. Was able to drive it the remaining 3-5 minutes to get home.

- Murphy, TX, USA

Apr 282010

While driving down the highway, 45mph zone, I noticed the accelerator was having no effect, however the tach was still showing the engine running. I coasted off the road and while the engine was running it was not connected to the transmission. As I do with my computer, I turned off the car waited a short while and turned it back on......everything seemed to work fine, but of course I took it to Ford as soon as possible. It was diagnosed as a throttle body assemble malfunction and was repaired under warranty. It has happened twice since then, the last one being out of warranty and costing me 1000 dollars. Three throttle body assembles in a car not 4 yrs old with still less than 30000 miles on it.

- Naples, FL, USA

Apr 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Pulled out onto a very busy secondary roadway...applied pressure to the accelerator and it just sat there while oncoming traffic closed in on me. This was the first of many hesitations that nearly got me killed. To make it worse...when power comes back it comes back so fast it throws you back in the seat...actually burning rubber. After a year of intermittent problems with this I took it into Ford dealership and they diagnosed a faulty throttle body....trouble code P2112. Since this is a safety issue and had nothing to do with routine maintenance I expected Ford to take care of it. They want to charge me $400 dollars to fix a problem they created with substandard parts.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated the vehicle accelerated several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions and they were unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated and slowed down rapidly on several occasions, but never stalled. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled while moving forward after backing out of parking space. Car had operated for 15 minutes before pulling into space, then immediately backing out without stopping engine. For approximately a year and one half yellow service engine light intermittently comes on then goes off after few driving cycles. Car also hesitates and jerks during acceleration randomly and frequently. Service dept of used car dealer where purchased car has detected no defects and has not replicated problem when car left at shop.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Mar 092013

While accelerating at low speeds (15 - 20 mph), the vehicle suddenly began to shudder and lurch, with no increase in throttle or power despite flooring the gas pedal. Yellow check engine / repair lights came on, vehicle would jerkingly continue to move forward at a speed of less than 5 mph. After conducting a search, it appears to be similar to the "limp home mode" throttle body problem reported by the North Carolina consumers council.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Jun 012012

Escape was in for scheduled oil change. Upon leaving the authorized Ford garage the vehicle started shaking and had little acceleration. I turned around and went back to the Ford garage and had them look at it. The problem self corrected while at garage. They said that it was the throttle body and according to the computer, there had been another incident recorded while under previous ownership. Ford garage said to replace throttle body. I have not yet replaced it.

- Bad Axe, MI, USA

Jun 222012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the vehicle lost power and the wrench light came on. It wouldn't accelerate I was able to coast to the shoulder unharmed, but it was a morning commute and the highway was very busy I could have easily been hit. I turned the car off and it did start up again. This happened 2 more times in the same morning. I called the Ford service department and immediately brought my car in per their instruction. After holding my car for 2 days and charging me $130 for service they told me there was nothing they could do because the wrench light doesn't hold codes. They knew when I dropped it off the only light that came on was no longer on when I brought the car in and they didn't warn me in advance that they weren't going be able to do anything without it happening while they had it. My vehicle at this time was under maintenance and power train warranty. So I took it home and this happened about 20 more times both on the highway and driving through town over about a 7 month period. This happened again 2 days ago 4 times on my way home from work on a very narrow road so it was very dangerous. This time the check engine light stayed on and I made another appointment with Ford. I was told it had the codes for (throttle body stuck open/closed) they were able to replace the throttle body which I hope will fix this extremely dangerous problem. My car is still under powertrain warranty, but I was told that this part is not covered. So I paid full price for the part because my safety is more important, but this should really be recall. There were numerous times I could have been in a very serious accident.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Driving approximately 45 miles per hour when the vehicle lost acceleration. The engine continued to run but would not accelerate. Was able to pull over to the side of the road and engine continued running. Turned the engine off and back on and engine did accelerate for approximately 1 mile before repeating the failure. Pulled over once again and repeated the process and was able to make it home (about 3 more miles). Took the vehicle to the Ford dealership next morning and diagnosis is a bad throttle body. Repair cost North of $400. This also happened a few times within a year of purchasing the vehicle but was not repeatable and the check engine light / diagnostic codes apparently didn't fire.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Sep 152012

Escape 6-cyl

I recently read in a newspaper about an engine probe for Ford vehicles and would like to add that I have also experienced this problem with stalling and/or surging engine in my 2009 Ford Escape limited. I believe my car had experienced this "limp home mode" on the circuit board. On this particular day, I was driving in traffic and then all of a sudden I felt as though I could not accelerate the car at all. The rest of my trip home (approx. 25 miles) the car wouldn't let me surpass about 20mph. I was very scared but wanted to at least get the car closer to my home. I thought the car was done for. Yet, after letting the car rest for about an hour at home, I started it back up and it drove fine. I just wanted to share this experience of yet another person who could contribute to experiencing a malfunctioning circuit board.

- Sayville, NY, USA

Dec 022012

My 2009 Ford Escape has acceleration problems. I try not to make left turns due to vehicle slowing down when I am accelerating, the wrench comes on in the cab when I start experiencing the problem. Also when on highway wrench light comes on and car slows down lie the brakes are on.

- E Wareham, MA, USA

Sep 202012

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling at unknown speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and it was determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 52,873 and the current mileage was 57,000...updated 05/01/13 the consumer stated after stopping at a red light, he then proceeded to drive. The vehicle reached a speed of 30 mph, while going uphill, and then stalled. Updated 05/21/13

- Joliet , IL, USA

Feb 122013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30-60 mph, the vehicle would decelerate independently. The wrench warning light would illuminate immediately afterward. The vehicle was later taken to a dealer where they advised her that the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the throttle body. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 56,000. The current mileage was approximately 56,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- South Wick, MA, USA

Aug 032009

Escape 6-cyl

Stalling when going on gas to pass another car or up a steep hill. After releasing gas pedal quickly, car wants to still accelerates for a good three to four seconds. Also engine stalls out at low speeds when making a sharp turn, like into a parking space. Was told by dealer the first two are normal and the third item they could not find anything wrong.

- Adamstown, CA, USA

Jan 012012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate while the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The failure was experienced intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 75,000. Updated 4/24/13 updated 05/20/2013

- Kalamzoo, MI, USA

Dec 042012

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalls when stopping intermittent, will restart, no error lites. Tach fluctuates when coming to a stop and if no stall will settle around 7000.

- Leesburg, FL, USA