2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 14)

Dec 242013

Escape 6-cyl

As I tried to accelerate the vehicle went into a limp mode. I had no response from the accelerator pedal. The vehicle would move forward at a idle speed. Yellow wrench light came on. After engine was turned off and restarted vehicle ran as normal for a few days and it happened again.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Sep 272013

Escape

Headed to work on the interstate driving 70mph and the vehicle goes limp gas peddle does nothing lose all power. Had to get over and avoid 18-wheelers and shift off the vehicle. Turned it off and it's fine for 5 miles or 5 days.

- Madison , TN, USA

Dec 182013

Escape

I was driving on a 4 line highway in the passing lane. My car lost power and the gas pedal would not work. I had to pull into the turning lane because a car behind me almost rearended me. Had to have car towed. This is the second time this has happened in a year. Last time the garage had my car for 5 days and could not find anything. My car was towed to a local Ford dealership. I had to get a loaner car for the second time in two years. Thank god that I was not in a wreck and could get pulled over onto the brim of a 4 lane dangerous highway. After looking O line last eve and today I found that other people have had the same problem some not as lucky as iam. The garage told me today that it is the electronic throttle body and will cost me 300$ or more. I am hoping that something can be down to prevent other serious accidents or even deaths due to this malfunction.

- Winfleld , PA, USA

Sep 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a small highway at about 45mph when suddenly the engine lost its power. I put my foot on the accelerator and absolutely nothing happened (rpms did not increase, speed did not increase) except that the car continued to decelerate. I pulled over to the side of the road and the car started to shake violently. Also the yellow wrench indicator light signaling that there is a power train issue came on. I put the car in park and shut it off for five minutes. When I turned the car back on, the indicator light was off, the car was not shaking, and the accelerator worked fine. I took it straight home, then straight to the Ford dealer the next day and was told that I needed to replace my throttle body. Further, I was told that although the throttle body was not normal wear and tear, it was still not covered under my warranty. So I had to pay $500 to fix an issue that I now see is quite common in Ford Escapes; I am unclear what it will take for a recall to be issued on this potentially very serious problem. I am very grateful that on this particular day I was not on a 4-lane highway as I usually am when traveling.

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Nov 212013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on highway at a speed of around 60mph my truck beeped and signaled a wrench light on the dashboard and my vehicle just stopped and lost speed and I couldn't accelerate to continue to move to a safe area. My vehicle just completed stopped in the middle of the highway while vehicles are coming at the same speed behind me. This has happened several times once entering a ramp on to highway accelerating on to the highway the vehicle just turned off. Also once driving heavy traffic the vehicle just stopped and a vehicle has to brake and swerve to avoid hitting me from behind. Just to know the highway incident was the most horrifying experience for me and my family. We were so shaken up from it thinking a car was going to hit us since they were coming up from behind us at the same rate of speed 60mph when my vehicle just turned off. Please look into this as it can cause a serious an accident resulting in someone or family being critically injured or loss of life. I have been reading all over the internet of the same problems and situation that occur because of this vehicle failure. Please make this a recall from the throttle body I've been reading about on these vehicles. Under affected parts didn't know what to put but have read its the throttle body.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was stopped waiting at a red light at the top of a very steep hill. The light changed to green and I let my foot off the brake and went to push the gas and my Ford Escape lost all power and stalled. The battery light and oil light came on as it stalled and I started rolling backwards down the steep hill. I had no ability to steer the car and I also didn't have any brakes, I tried to slam the brakes as we were accelerating more quickly downhill but I had no control. In a matter of seconds my SUV veered off the road and hit a brake wall and at that impact my entire vehicle flies over onto the drivers side and stopped. The side airbags deployed and I was unable to open any doors. A passing car stopped and helped my son and I out of the back hatch.

- Montville, OH, USA

Dec 022013

Escape 6-cyl

I own a 2009 Ford Escape. While traveling at various speeds, the vehicle loses power and the wrench light comes on. Accelerator pedal pushed, but no response. Shut down vehicle and restarted car driven without incident, until it happened again 2 days later.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Nov 292013

Escape 4-cyl

My car lost acceleration in an intersection going about 15 mph. The engine was running slow and rough. The throttle had no effect on engine speed. After about 10 minutes of rough idling, the vehicle was turned off and I was then able to immediately restart the engine and it was able to drive home. This appears to be a known fault with the Ford Escape and could result in accidents. My understanding is that this is a known design problem with the throttle control system on the Escape.

- Longwood, FL, USA

May 252012

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle intermittently stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Oct 252013

Escape

While driving my 2009 Ford Escape (V6) home from work, my car lost acceleration. The engine was still running, the lights still worked, radio on, power steering, but I had no acceleration response from the gas pedal. I was able to coast my car onto a side road without incident, and noticed the service light was on before turning my car off (wrench symbol). I waited for a few moments, and tried to restart the car. To my surprise, the car started up immediately, and I was able to drive home without further issue. I took the car to a local auto shop to have the computer checked to see if the error was still in the system, but it was already cleared. Two weeks later, while driving home from a vacation weekend, the car did the same thing, except this time I was driving on the highway at 70mph, three hours from home with my son in the back seat. To say I was rattled would be an understatement. I was able to get to the side of the highway, turn the car off, restart the car and rejoin traffic. Roughly 1 hour later, the same thing happened. I immediately took the car to the nearest Ford dealership and dropped the car off for inspection and service. The dealer was able to pinpoint the issue to the electronic throttle body, and determined it needed to be replaced. $375 and 24 hours later the car was fixed. No issues after having the car back in my possession for two weeks. I wanted to issue an official complaint, and express my dissatisfaction with Ford Motor Company for knowing about this safety issue, and dragging their feet on issuance of a recall. The delphi manufactured component was known to be flawed, and had issued a technical service bulletin (tsb) 09-23-5, and re-engineered the component. I am a loyal Ford driver, but I fear Ford's lack of ethical conduct on this issue may be cause for reconsideration of future purchases.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Was pulling out of gas station to merge onto busy street, car began to roll forward upon acceleration then lost all response and lurched into road stopping there. Engine shut off and check engine light came on. Attempted to restart vehicle, car would rev but not respond with any acceleration. During this time incredibly loud harsh shifting occurred, sounded as though transmission fell out of car. Dealership replaced defective throttle body, currently still investigating transmission issues.

- Wakefield , MA, USA

Nov 152011

Escape 6-cyl

Drive South on I-95 at rush hour heading home. With no warning engine power just goes away, check engine light came on and no matter how much the gas pedal was push there was no power from engine, hurried as it slowed down to the right lane and was able to exit. Shut off engine for 5 minutes started it up and all was good. 2nd time was light came on and engine just fluttered, service tech stated that the codes in computer were throttle actuator open.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 052013

Escape 6-cyl

On Monday November 5th, 2013 I was driving my 2009 Ford Escape down the freeway at 9pm going home. I had been driving for about 10 minutes when the engine felt like it hesitated and stumbled. I realized that I could not get the vehicle to accelerate so I pulled off to the side of the road. There was a wrench symbol on the dash board. I experienced the same issue on Sunday November 11th, 2013 I was driving for about 15 minutes and the vehicle stumbled again and the symbol came on the dash. I turned the car off and waited 5 minutes. It started up and did not have any issues until today Tuesday November 12th, 2013. I was driving on the freeway at about 70 miles an hour and the engine stumbled again. I pulled off the side of the freeway and turned the vehicle off, waited 10 minutes and the car started up with no fault code on dash. I drove home the back roads. After investigating online I came across the article that this is a recurring event for the Ford Escapes.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and vehicle kept acting like it was stalling while trying to drive. Knew that the gas was not low, so wasn't sure what the issue was. Made it to destination and called mechanic. Brought it in to the shop, still with intermittent stalling while driving. Ran a test and said that the throttle actuator control system was stuck open - this has seemed to be a problem with Ford Escape vehicles. Got it fixed with no incidents, but could have been worse.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Nov 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power up steep hill almost resulting in rolling backwards down hill. Car had previously and intermittently lost power surge when accelerating onto highway into a merge situation.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Aug 112013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving home from an outing, at 55 mph, the throttle body quit, causing a loss of speed. The car would not accelerate. We had to have the car towed home. We have been waiting for an un-necessary length of time for the repair, due to the part being on back order....updated 11-06-13

- Connersville, IN, USA

Aug 012011

Escape 4-cyl

I've had to replace the throttle body for my vehicle once before approximately in August 2011. The car would stall and then turn off. Fuel didn't seem to be passing thru while I was driving and when I was at stop lights. Often times, it turned off and I would have to wait a while for it to turn back on. When I was at stop lights and this happened, I would have to press on the brake and the gas at the same time to try to avoid the car turning off. My car was not safe to drive because I never knew when it was going to stall or turn off in the middle of the road. I finally was able to get this fixed. I am now having the same problem again with this car. It hasn't been that long ago when I had this fixed. I keep checking to see if there are any recalls for this vehicle and part and have not seen anything. I don't understand why there is no recall for this part. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to have the dealer pay for this repair.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Oct 252013

Escape

As exiting a highway the car just lost power. The gas pedal was useless and the rpms were about 1000. Pulled off to shoulder and shut car down, waited 5 minutes and started car and it was ok. Three days later it did the same thing while driving in the middle lane of highway. Had to coast to the shoulder did the same thing of shutting car down and starting again. Took car to dealership service and was determined it was the throttle body through diagonistics. The throttle body was replaced and reprogrammed. This defect may and will cause serious accidents and potential fatalities due to the way that the throttle just stops and the car is unable to speed to a needed speed for safety on highways.

- Mamaroneck, NY, USA

Oct 152013

Escape

I was driving on interstate 71 in Ohio when my car lost power totally, it had to be flat-bed towed to mansfield Ford where I was told there was a problem with the throttle body. This was very dangerous and frightening to me, now I am afraid to travel in this vehicle. I had to pay $474 to repair, which I think Ford should reimburse.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Oct 272013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the cruise control was activated while driving approximately 65 mph when an unexpected increase in acceleration occurred. In addition, the engine began to race. The wrench warning indicator was also illuminated on the instrument panel when the malfunction occurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Springville, CA, USA