2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 14)

Sep 092013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Hartselle, AL, USA

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

The throttle body on my 2009 Ford Escape failed while entering a public interstate via an on ramp. The failure occurred while accelerating. The effect was the vehicles engine was shut off, causing a rapid deceleration on a fairly busy on ramp. I was able to pull my car over to the side. Placed it in park, turned key off and back on, and was able to resume my 8 mile commute to work. Later, while driving the vehicle, the same issue occurred twice within a fifteen mile period - both times while accelerating, the engine shut off in traffic. Three times in one day, had not seen this issue ever prior to last week. I took the car to the dealership where they diagnosed it as a failed throttle body. The car has been in the shop since 9/4. today I was contacted and told the part was on nation wide backorder, and wasn't expected until 10/31. Internet forums suggest there are thousands of vehicles awaiting this part right now. Having the engine unpredictably shut off is a potentially dangerous situation to have while driving. There is a known issue within Ford and their dealer network, but to date, no recall has been issued. The delay in parts accessibility is dangerous, and could result in people driving their vehicles with this condition while awaiting the parts arrival.

- Country Club, MO, USA

Escape 4-cyl

Since I purchased my 2009 Ford Escape in November 2011, my car would occasionally just as I began to move after a stop sign or make a turn after stopping. About a year ago, my car had stalled in the middle of a street with the electricity out. This August, the car completely stalled (the electricity was still on) an onramp to interstate 81. I was able to restart it and attempt to go home, but when I turned left after stopping at a light, the car stalled again. The local Ford dealership said, " verified concern, pulled code P2112 throttle body stuck closed, performed all of the pinpoint tests and the throttle body failed the functionality test, removed air tube and found the throttle is very slow to respond to commands."

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Randomly the orange wrench light will come on and the car will lose power and shut off. I have to stop the car and then it restarts. This has happened in the middle of a freeway and was lucky to get to the side pull off. Very random as it once happened twice in a day and then again a week later. This has been a recurring problem in multiple Ford in doing research on line. Why has this not been recalled? problem seems to be the throttle body. Very dangerous. I have car at the dealership now and waiting their response.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Sep 052013

Escape

I was driving down the street and stopped at a stop sign. My car began to sputter a bit then lost power - did not shut off completely but the gas pedal would not respond. Wrench light came on. Shut the car off and started it back up again without a problem. About a 1/4 mile down the road, same thing happened and check engine light came on. I was low on gas, so I thought that might be the problem. Filled the tank the next morning and the check engine light went off, drove fine to work. Left work, went to pick my son up, and on the way home (about an hour of driving), the car did the same thing it had done before. This time, I was going a lot faster and in the middle of traffic. Very scary and very dangerous. It took me about 6 times of shutting the car off and starting it up again to get home (which was only about 4 miles away).

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Jul 052013

Escape

As I was driving my Escape it began to shake and I was no longer able to accelerate. I had to turn the engine off, sit for a minute and then restart it. I had to do this every half mile on my drive home to get my car home. I pulled over to the side of the road and called for assistance and I had someone follow me home. I had to have it towed to the dealership. They told me it was the electric throttle body. After having it for two weeks they told me I would have to wait another month for the part as it was back ordered from Ford. As soon as I requested a rental car, the part automatically appeared. Over $400 worth of work.

- Va Bch, VA, USA

Sep 012013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving home with family on Sept 1st, 2013, our 2009 Ford Escape decelerated quite rapidly from 45-50 mph to 0 mph within 10 seconds and wrench warning light came on. We were able to safely pull over and turn off engine. We waited a minute and it started back up again (no wrench warning light was no longer on) and we were able to make it home. It appears to be a faulty throttle body.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Aug 262013

Escape

I was driving approx 60 mph when my car jumped down to approx 25 mph and wrench light came on. I had to coast to side of road to get off highway. When I shut the car off and restarted it I was able to drive to saftey but then it happened again and car had to be towed to the Ford dealer for them to charge me $585 and replace the throttle body. I have read this has happened to many people and this really should be a recall.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Aug 282013

Escape 6-cyl

TL - the contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 80,000. Kmj the throttle body was replaced and resolved the problem.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the 2009 Ford Escape down highway, experienced a brief lurch then complete and immediate loss of throttle control. Engine speed decreased to approx. 1000 RPM making it impossible to continue driving and forcing an emergency stop on shoulder. While stopped on shoulder, engine was completely unresponsive to throttle, and remained roughly idling at 1K rpms. Shut off engine, and restarted the vehicle. After restarting, throttle control appeared to be working normally. There were no obvious symptoms immediately prior to the failure: Engine appeared to be running fine, and throttle control was working normally until the incident. The unexpected loss of throttle control and corresponding decrease in vehicle speed was disorienting, and could have easily resulted in an unsafe situation or accident if surrounding traffic were heavier or driver had panicked. Vehicle was diagnosed by dealer as having a "failing throttle body". codes retrieved were P2111 and P2135, and pinpoint tests showed that "the throttle actuator control motor is failing". throttle body assembly was replaced.

- Coon Valley, WI, USA

Aug 172013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled while driving down highway at 60mph. Happened again a week later- three times in same trip. Had to pull off side of road, put in park and turn off engine and restart each time. Trouble code P2111 indicated defective throttle body. Internet search showed this issue is under investigation. Ordered new part from dealership and dealer informed me it is on backorder for an undetermined amount of time due to high volume of replacements. In the meantime I cannot drive my vehicle.

- Shoals, IN, USA

Jan 032012

Escape

First incident 1-3-12, took to Ford dealership, they replaced the throttle body. Then on 8-10-13 the car just died going up my drive way, but it cranked right back up. Then on 8-11-13 the engine quit again going about 10 mph. It cranked right back up. I took it in to Ford dealership on Tuesday 8-13-13 and they could not find anything wrong. I, then saw on the news a report about Ford Escapes stalling and the throttle body issue. This example on the news happened on an expressway. Fortunately they were not hurt. My question is how do I know for sure if the throttle body is bad again on my Escape.? it stalled 2 times while moving, but they could not find anything. I am afraid to drive in heavy traffic.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Running down hwy at and car stalled. Made it to side of road. Sat there 10 min started again and made it home.

- Crandall, TX, USA

Aug 052013

Escape

Same as others, the engine keeps running but will not go do the throttle body actuator not opening.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder where it was shut down and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal function but the failure recurred shortly after. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Hurst, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway the engine dropped to idle and throttle became no responsive. Had to perform evasive maneuvers without power to safely pull over. I was lucky that I was not hit. After calling the dealer service department they informed me that it would likely need to have the throttle body replaced at over $600. This issue has become worse in only a few days and occurs at a variety of speeds. Research on the web leads me to believe that this is a common issue and I am concerned for safety of drivers with all this type of vehicle.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Aug 182013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down the highway at 60mph when car slowed down to 10-15mph. Had to place my emergency lights on in order not to get hit by passing vehicles and move to the emergency lane. I had to turn off the car in order for the accelerator to work again. After the first incident the vehicle kept on stalling. Took the vehicle to the dealer and it turns out its the throttle body thats malfuctioning. The warranty I purchased does not cover this type of part, I dont even have a year with this vehicle. In doing my research I find out that there has been an investigation on this vehicle on foresaid problem around the time I purchased the vehicle. The investigation is still opened. Investigation number PE13-003. The Ford dealership is charging me close to $700 in order to get this part fixed. They did not provide this information to me I had to look it up myself. They also did not provide me with a renter car I had to purchase one on my own. Its just unfair.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 182013

Escape

Sunday August 18, 2013 9:30 pm driving back from store on highway 17 wrench showed up on dash and car slowed down and came to a complete stop. I pushed the gas but nothing happened. Traffic was behind me a I feared getting hit. I was able to get to the side of the road to avoid an accident. Turned car off and waited for a few seconds. Turned key in ignition and car started and ran just fine. 8/19/13, driving daughter to school on highway 80 vehicle did the same thing but sputtered twice. Needless to say sheer pandemonium! daughter screaming and crying because highway 80 is very congested and the speed is 55 to 60 mph. Managed to get to side of highway, repeated what I did the night before and car started just fine, was able to get daughter to school and myself to work. 8/20/13, it happened again. On highway 80, got to side of road and started car up again. Got daughter to school and on the way to work car stopped again. Started car again and got to work -- called Ford and took car to shop. Had to start car gain as it slowed down and would only go no more than 5 mph. Car is at shop right now. Waiting for Ford to call me. Car is under warranty as I purchased the extended warranty package.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the engine lost power. I was able to pull over and restarted the engine. I took it to the Ford dealership today and had to have the throttle body replaced. From what I have read this is a common occurrence so why hasn't Ford done anything about it?

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Aug 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving my 2009 Ford Escape limited at 60 to 55 mph when there was a lurch and sudden loss of power. I then pulled of the highway and turned off the vehicle and did an inspection to troubleshoot the problem. After 15 minutes the vehicle started back up and I drove it to our local autoparts store to get the trouble code. The code came back as P2112 : throttle actuator control system closed; explanation ECM has detected the throttle plate is at a lower angle than commanded probable cause binding throttle stuck closed.

- Clarksville, TN, USA