2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 14)

Aug 152013

Vehicle stuck in the intersection waiting for a red light. Engine light kicked on. Error code P2111, throttle stuck. Would been in an accident if on highway. Ford needs to address this issue.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Escape 4-cyl

While entering a main highway from an exit, during acceleration the vehicle began "spluttering" and stalled. Car was turned off and restarted successfully. Again, leaving a parking lot onto a main highway pulling out of median begin "spluttering" and stalled. Car was turned off and restarted successfully. Again, stopped at a red light, when light turned green and began accelerating, car stalled in the middle of the intersection. Car was restarted and took to local dealer for inspection. Found to need a new throttle body. Upon research, found that this has been a frequent complaint. This has the potential to result in fatalities.

- Hollywood, AL, USA

Aug 092013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on route 33 (buffalo, NY highway) that has a lot of ongoing construction. I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway when I heard a pop and noticed my speed dropping from 60 to 20 within a matter of 20 to 30 seconds. I immediately turned my flashers on and tried to get over to the shoulder. Unfortunately, merging traffic was approaching from an on ramp with one of the vehicles being an ambulance with lights and sirens on. The ambulance had to swerve in order to miss striking my SUV. I had a hard time trying to reach the shoulder of the road due to no throttle and construction signs and sand bags surrounding the shoulder. Even the towing company had a hard time trying to reach my vehicle and had to move construction signs, sand bags and debris in order to tow my SUV, I had absolutely no warning signs that this was going to happen. This was a dangerous and terrifying experience. Of course, my warranty expired and the repair was not covered by the Ford dealer. So along with being placed in a dangerous and horrific situation, I am also out $650, this matter needs to be addressed immediately before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Aug 082012

I was driving on the NJ parkway when all of a sudden I had no gas peddle. I was doing 75 at time and truck started bucking was able to pull to side of road.. restarted it and went on my way. Since then I have stalled everyday to many to count.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Aug 092013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2009 Ford Escape XLT (this is my third Escape, and the only one that has ever caused me any problem) has never accelerated as it should, from the day I drove it new off of the lot. It has always hesitated, lurched, lunged, jerked; most frequently when accelerating from a full stop or a rolling stop. It had never "limped" until at approximately 50K miles, when the throttle body failed twice while traveling at approx. 50mph (wrench symbol lit up). After having the throttle body replaced by my dealer in late June-early July 2013, the lunging, jerking, hesitating continued. On 8/8/13, when accelerating from a rolling stop, the vehicle died while attempting a "Michigan left" onto a 4-lane highway (this time the battery light and service engine lights came on). If the traffic signal for oncoming traffic had not been green, I was at risk of being struck by several vehicles traveling at rates of speed up to 70mph. I was able to let the vehicle roll back into the turn lane; turned it off and then back on; but acceleration is still not operating as it should. The rpms are all over the place. I feel as though I am driving a "death trap". this is a very urgent issue and must be addressed and repaired by Ford swiftly and at no cost to the consumer. I had to pay almost $600 to have the throttle body replaced (including a rental vehicle). This is unacceptable and extremely dangerous. If this problem is not satisfactorily repaired at no cost to me when I attempt to take it to my dealer again (I'm considering having it towed because I'm so afraid to drive it), I will never purchase another Ford vehicle.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Jul 102013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

2009 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to throttle body problems. The consumer stated as she merged onto the highway, the vehicle totally shut down. The wrench light illuminated, she applied the brake and turned off the key and re-started the engine. The consumer was able to drive the vehicle to the dealer, but continued to experience the failure. An inspection revealed the throttle body needed to be replaced. However, the part was on back order.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

2009 Ford Escape has a very dangerous defect with its throttle body component. While driving during normal operation, the vehicle will go into limp mode without warning. A yellow wrench appears in the console indicating a maintenance problem. The engine will reduce to idle speed, the foot accelerator is inoperable during this incident. When in the idle mode, the vehicle speed is reduced to about 5 mph. The vehicle has to be turned off, then order to reboot the system. The first two incidents happened on consecutive days. A week later, it happened again. Today, it happened 4 times, once on the busy interstate highway. Ford claims this is a common problem, therefore the replacement part is on back-order. I ordered my part (express) thru the local Ford dealership about a month ago and top date the part has not arrived. Ford is unable to give N estimated arrival date of the replacement part.

- Lithia, FL, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 4-cyl

This has been happening for about 6 weeks. I have taken it into the dealership 4 times. I told them it suddenly stutters and slows down and it won't respond to gas pedal. I have to stop, turn off, and restart. It is intermittent and always in traffic it seems. I have almost been rear ended several times. It also revved up to 10mph while sitting in park without foot on gas pedal. We told them it was the throttle, but the computer did not pick up the code. I feel it is very dangerous and I refuse to drive it unless the throttle is fixed. This needs to be a serious recall! I hear they cannot get throttle parts. I will never buy a Ford again if this is not taken care of and I have been loyal for 30 years.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving home on I-95 South and as I was exiting to go West on I-495 my Ford Escape lost all acceleration. I was extremely lucky that there wasn't much traffic around me and I was able to drift over to the shoulder and come to a stop.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jul 132013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the wrench warning icon illuminated as the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,210. The VIN was unavailable.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Aug 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the wrench light and check engine light came on and the vehicle went into limp home mode and would not go faster than a couple of miles an hour. The engine was surging during this time. I could turn the vehicle off and restart it but it would immediately do the same thing again. The codes that were read from the vehicle were P2111 and P2112 and said the throttle stuck open and throttle stuck closed.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on the highway going around 60 mph. The vehicle seemed to die.I pulled over and realized it was still running, but would only idle and did not respond to pressing the gas pedal. I restarted the engine and drove about 50 miles without further incident, but engine warning light remained on. The next day, the engine warning light was on when I started the vehicle, and it lost power immediately. I restarted it and within driving 5 miles it " died" over 15 times. I attempted to drive it one more time and it repeated the same problem 3 times before I made it to the end of my block..I haven't driven it since.

- College Station, TX, USA

Aug 022013

Driving on local highway and engine entered "safe mode" (wrench light came on, was unable to accelerate). Previously vehicle would shudder and near stall but run fine when restarted.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Jul 292013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle was restarted after two attempts however, the failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body and motor assembly were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Norton, MA, USA

Jul 292013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the engine warning indicator. The vehicle was restarted normally however, the failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body and motor assembly were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Norton, MA, USA

Jul 192013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle hesitated while accelerating. The vehicle stalled several miles later as the contact applied the brakes. The vehicle was restarted and the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 102,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jul 252013

Driving vehicle approx. 50 mph on a clear day, approx 105 degrees in las vegas nv, the RPM's suddenly went "limp" around 900 even though the gas peddle was fully depressed. Appearance of a wrench light and check engine light noted. Hazard lights were engaged and the vehicle was successfully pulled to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted. Ran fine like nothing happened for about a mile and a half. Same issue. Repeat troubleshooting. Incident continued to happen for 4 more days consistently. Taken into Ford dealership for diagnostic and repair. Mechanic contacted me after diagnostic and informed that the code for the throttle body was in error. Replaced the faulty part( I kept it at my request due to the possible investigation into the matter) and the vehicle now runs fine. Thank goodness the issue did not occur in a busy intersection where an accident could have potentially endangered anyone.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle moving at constant 45 mph when engine stumble felt, electronic throttle control/powertrain light illuminated and lost all ability to control vehicle speed with accelerator pedal. Engine was still running and vehicle was able to be safely pulled off the main road. After turning vehicle off and then back on, the light went out and all systems were again ok. Problem was traced to the electronic throttle control (throttle body) and fix requires replacement of the part.

- N. Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jul 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on a two lane rt, speed limit 55mph at 9pm, no lighting along rt, accelerating to keep up speed going up a hill, the car started to slow down. Pulling over to my right (off the road ) putting on my flashers, was now at a complete stop was hit in rear left doing damage to my car and the car that hit me.the car that hit me left the seen of the accident. No warning this was going to happen.towed car to a Ford dealer and had fixed, internal throttle body failure, lucky to be alive.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 272013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along when the car feels as though it's about to stall. I immediately slow down to pull over, turn the car off, let it sit for a moment then start it back up. The problem has continued to happen until I took it into a garage to find out I need a new throttle body.

- Atlanta, GA, USA