2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 14)

Jun 222013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that she attempted to accelerate but the accelerator pedal failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 33,850.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the car slowed down to a stand still without removing my foot from the gas peddle. The check engine and power train/throttle body lights came on. The car was towed to a dealership where they determined that the throttle body was the cause of the problem and needs to be completely replaced.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

May 232013

Escape 6-cyl

In May 2013, my Escape lost the ability to accelerate in my home neighborhood. I called the local Ford dealership, and they said I should shut the car off and restart. I did and it worked fine. I took the car in to be evaluated and Ford said they could find nothing that would have caused that issue. Then on July 13, 2013, I was driving on the interstate at 65 mph and the vehicle lost all acceleration ability. The vehicle was still running, but would not accelerate. I coasted to the side of the highway. Needless to say, this was a very dangerous situation as the car lost total control in the middle of a busy highway. I feel fortunate an accident did not occur.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Due to throttle body failure at highway speed, engine became unresponsive to attempts to keep speed. Engine did idle providing power steering and brake operation. Engine was successfully restarted and vehicle taken to dealer shop. On way to shop, failure occurred on busy 4 lane street at 45 mph. Getting to shoulder was awkward but successful. Parts took 11 days to get to dealer service.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Escape

I was driving down the highway and the gas pedal stopped working and my car wouldn't go I pulled off the road and turned my car off. I restarted it and continued to drive it did it again and I went to the dealership, it did it all the way there I had to keep pulling over and restarting. The code came up throttle stuck open. I am not waiting for a new throttle body that is on back order and will take around 5-8 days, it is day 7 and the part is still not there.

- Jacksonville , NC, USA

Jul 072013

Escape

While driving up a hill, I let my foot off the gas and when I tried to press gas, my engine stalled and died. When hooked up to diagnostic to see why my SUV keeps dying when idle, the code was "P2112" throttle actuator control system stuck closed.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Car has throttle body issues which is now common - where is the recall?

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 092013

Escape

Vehicle "jerked" and lost all throttle. Open ended wrench light came on in the instrument cluster. Luckily was able to coast into small service center who scanned the computer and it had the faulty P2111 code (throttle actuator control system stuck open). Code was cleared and car restarted. Died another 6 times on the way home, each time restarting after turning the key off. I see that this is currently under investigation and wanted to bring yet another instance to your attention. If this would of happened on the interstate or a large left hand turn lane during rush hour it wouldn't have been pretty.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

The electronic throttle body on my 2009 Ford Escape failed while I was traveling at a high rate of speed on the highway causing my engine shut down.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Escape

The electronic throttle body on my 2009 Ford Escape failed causing my car to stall at a high speed and pull over to the side of a busy highway.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that he attempted to accelerate but the vehicle would not respond and would not gain power. The vehicle was restarted and the vehicle functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Carolina Beach, NC, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when suddenly the car made a very hard jerk; it felt like the engine fell to the ground, and then no power when I put my foot on the gas peddle. I coasted to the side of the road which put me at the end of an entrance ramp onto the highway. I was so scared because of where my car ended up. I waited a few minutes and turned the car back on and drove about 30 ft and then the same thing happened... the terrible jerk and no power. I pulled over and waited for at least one hour for a tow truck. I am thankful it was not dark out. I was told by the Ford dealer that it was the throttle body. I have seen many reports on line of the same defective part. Besides this being a costly experience [if you do not have a warranty] it is very dangerous when this part goes out. This should definitely be a recalled item and people reimbursed for having to have this part replaced.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 072013

Escape

While driving, the vehicle stopped accelerating, the check engine light came on and car began to idle. I turned it off and back on five minutes later and it accelerated for 1/4 of a mile before doing the same thing again. I turned it off and back on and drove it straight to my mechanic. After running diagnostics it was determined to be the throttle body as well as the processor.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on I55 in Chicago going 60 mph the gas peddle went soft. There was no accretion, I was force to move to the shoulder. I turned the car off and then on and it ran fine for 20 miles then the same thing happened again, and then again. I was able to get my vehicle to the Ford dealer who told me it was the throttle body and it would take 2 weeks to have a replacement part.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Escape

While driving at normal speeds the car completely lost acceleration and the accelerator became unresponsive. The check engine light came on and the car reduced to idle. After placing the car in neutral and rolling to a stop the car was turned off and I waited for 5 minutes. Once restarted the car ran normally but continued to have the problem with no warning. When taken to the dealership they stated it was a faulty throttle body assembly.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 192013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The contact stated that the failure had occurred several times prior to the recent failure. The vehicle was taken the dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 54,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Utica, OH, USA

Jun 162013

Escape 6-cyl

On 5 different occasions while driving anywhere from starting from a stop light to traveling up to 70 mph on a major interstate my Ford Escape has suddenly lost power. The engine does not lock up, just all power is lost. I press the accelerator and there is no revving of engine. I have been able to get the car to a stop, but it will start to jerk and stall. Finally I turn it off, then restart it but it I having difficulty in starting. Thus far I have spent $240 for a tow and have had 3 mechanics investigate, one had no idea but had "heard about throttle body problems", a second told me to take it to the dealership and charged about $40 to clean the throttle body. The dealership has told me its the throttle body and will be charging about $365 to replace.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Apr 262013

Escape

In September of 2010, the check engine light on my Ford Escape would come on and off, on and off. Some times it would stay on for weeks and then just disappear. Sometimes it would stay on for a day or two and then disappear. And whenever I need to take it to the repair shop, the check engine light was never on. Pep boys could never find anything wrong because they check engine light was never on, and no codes appeared. When pep boys drove the car, it never stopped on them. In April of 2012, as my son was home from college and driving the car, it shut off on him on the freeway on many occasions. He would explain to me that the engine went off and the car would not accelerate. He would have to pull over and either restart it or wait an hour for it to start sometimes. This happened on numerous occasions at fast and slow speeds. The check engine light and maintenance lights would come on. The car began stopping on me with the exact same problems stated above. Every time I took the car to pep boys, they would drive it for hours and it never stopped on them. On April 29, 2012, I took the car in to pep boys, and the stop engine code read that the cam sensor needed to be replaced. I got the car back on may14, 2012, and it immediately stopped on me. Then it ran good for two weeks, then it began stopping again on a regular basis. On June 21, 2012, I took the car in and the codes read throttle problem. They replaced the throttle and I got the car back on June, 29, 2013. I have spend over $3500 on this problem and would like to get reimbursed. One thing to not is that the original check light began to come on around August of 2011 and there never was a clear diagnosis until may and June of 2013.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced but the parts were not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 47,000.

- Flower Mound , TX, USA

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred twice with the illumination of the check engine light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Philladelphia , PA, USA