2009 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 122013

Ford Escape- problem with "check fuel inlet" light and "check engine" light. I took my car (original owner) in the first time and paid close to $500 to have a diagnostic check run to "fix" the issue, only to have the problem reoccur days later. The "check fuel inlet" light usually comes and goes, but recently has remained steady. I have had this problem for over a year. I have had the car back to the dealership and they want another diagnostic fee and any additional repairs will be out of my pocket. I goggled " Ford check fuel inlet" and found multiple complaints about the same issue. Everyone keeps taking their Ford Escape in to have the problem fixed, only to find the light returns later and they are paying additional fees for more diagnostic and repairs. This problem needs to be addressed with a recall. When I called the Ford Motor Co. About my concern, the man said there was nothing they could do except make record of my complaint. Please look into this. Thank you.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Oct 032014

Escape 4-cyl

September 10 2014, vehicle was serviced at henry curtis Ford in petaluma California for recall 14S05. Prior to this recall, we had no problems with our vehicle. October 3 2014, vehicle stalled at 65 mph driving on highway. My wife was driving up hill on the highway in the far right lane and was able to pull off the highway to the shoulder. Vehicle towed to repair shop, unable to find any error codes. Vehicle towed to henry curtis Ford dealership in petaluma California where the vehicle was purchased new in 2008. A $145 diagnostic was done and only one error code was reported by the dealer. Code B1239 ( air flow blend door driver circuit failure). Vehicle could be driven as there were no check engine lights on at that time. We picked up the vehicle from henry curtis Ford, and drove home. October 10 2014. RPM's shifting up and down while driving on the highway at 65mph. Had vehicle towed to repair shop in san francisco. Serviced and replaced parts for B1239 error. Mechanic test drove vehicle and now another error code displays code P2112. P2112 Ford - throttle actuator control system error. The mechanic is replacing the throttle body and reprogramming the PCM. I called the Ford dealership and was told my VIN is not covered under any recalls for P2112. When I asked about consumer satisfaction program 13N03, I was told my VIN is not included. We had no problems with the vehicle prior to bringing it in for the recall 14S05. Now after that service we are having several problems and I have read that other vehicle owners are also having the same P2112 error. Ford should include our vehicle in this problem and see if the other two incidents we have are related some how. Everyone I spoke to at Ford did not want to help, but continue to charge me more diagnostic charges and repair. Thankfully we have an honest mechanic that is helping us out.

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Sep 202014

Vehicle stalled about 2 weeks ago. Oil change light and low tire pressure light came on a week later. Had maintenance done a week later. I was not notified about any recalls. Noticed that the steering wheel was really loose after rotate and balance was done. Took car to dealership and reported issue with steering. Dealership stated that it may need alignment but could not do service until next week. Put gas in car and vehicle stalled. Battery and oil light came on. After a few more times was able to get it started. Stalled again stalled again at stop light. Made it to auto parts shop and put fuel injection fluid in tank. Car stalled. Finally started again. Made it to repair shop. Did diagnostic tests no codes reported. They examined the fuel and it was good. They guessed that the fuel pump may need replacing. I researched recalls on my VIN and found that there are 2 recalls on the vehicle that were never performed. Purchased vehicle in May. Never received recall notices. Repair shops and dealerships are not checking for recalls when diagnosing problems.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Aug 132014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly looses power and idles hard. Repeatedly over the past month when trying to accelerate from a stop vehicle will loose all engine power. The vehicle will still move forward as if it was in gear without your foot on the gas/brake. I was almost T-boned when trying to make a left turn in the middle of an intersection and when I went to accelerate suddenly I had no power. I have to turn the engine off then start the vehicle again and it will work just fine. The check engine light comes on once the vehicle looses power but once you turn the car off and turn it back on it is gone.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Sep 052014

At 35 mph and for no apparent reason, engine started sputtering and did not respond to pressing on gas pedal. In less than one minute the engine quit running altogether. I turned off ignition key and waited a few seconds and tried restarting the engine. It restarted and ran properly afterwards. Called local Ford dealer and described problem and they said it was a problem with the electronic throttle body - about an $800 repair. Went on line to research problem and found out there are tens of thousands of complaints about this problem yet Ford has done and is doing nothing about it. My '09 Escape has only a little over 36,000 miles on it. Luckily I wasn't pulling out into or driving in heavy traffic when this thing went out. I hope Ford doesn't wait until someone gets seriously injured or worse before they correct & recall vehicles for this problem. Ford says you have enough "power" left to get over to safety but you really don't.

- Villa Hills, KY, USA

May 202014

Had car set on cruise control, felt a pop or a snap under car, looked down and cruise went off and I was coasting, I had my foot in the gas and the RPM's were at 1000, gas was not revving and the RPM's didn't move, coasted to side of road. The engine sputtered as if it was going to shut off, but it didn't. I shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine, until 3 days later when it happened again. Have taken it to a Ford dealer 3 times and they claim that it is not tripping a code and that they can't replace the throttle body until they have a code. I don't know what else to do, I have been driving a loaner car since last Friday and they still haven't been able to recreate the incident.

- Murray, KY, USA

Apr 292014

Escape 6-cyl

P2111, throttle actuator control system stuck open, I had to drive to an auto zone to get this code while the car was in this condition. Otherwise these was no error code recorded. The engine run at an idle and will not accelerate when accelerator is depressed.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Dec 242013

Escape 6-cyl

As I tried to accelerate the vehicle went into a limp mode. I had no response from the accelerator pedal. The vehicle would move forward at a idle speed. Yellow wrench light came on. After engine was turned off and restarted vehicle ran as normal for a few days and it happened again.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Aug 172013

Driving down the street and the wrench light came on all of a sudden. Then my car dies. Put it in park then started it and as I tried to accelerate the car started to jerk then died. I repeated this till I got to the nearest repair shop and after $600 later found out it was the throttle body sensor. Ford won't sell the plastic sensor by itself, you have to buy the whole aluminum unit at $400! plus labor! I will never do business with Ford again! horrible quality parts. The worst part is I had my 11 year old son in the car when this happened.

- Carrollton , TX, USA

Oct 252013

While driving my 2009 Ford Escape (V6) home from work, my car lost acceleration. The engine was still running, the lights still worked, radio on, power steering, but I had no acceleration response from the gas pedal. I was able to coast my car onto a side road without incident, and noticed the service light was on before turning my car off (wrench symbol). I waited for a few moments, and tried to restart the car. To my surprise, the car started up immediately, and I was able to drive home without further issue. I took the car to a local auto shop to have the computer checked to see if the error was still in the system, but it was already cleared. Two weeks later, while driving home from a vacation weekend, the car did the same thing, except this time I was driving on the highway at 70mph, three hours from home with my son in the back seat. To say I was rattled would be an understatement. I was able to get to the side of the highway, turn the car off, restart the car and rejoin traffic. Roughly 1 hour later, the same thing happened. I immediately took the car to the nearest Ford dealership and dropped the car off for inspection and service. The dealer was able to pinpoint the issue to the electronic throttle body, and determined it needed to be replaced. $375 and 24 hours later the car was fixed. No issues after having the car back in my possession for two weeks. I wanted to issue an official complaint, and express my dissatisfaction with Ford Motor Company for knowing about this safety issue, and dragging their feet on issuance of a recall. The delphi manufactured component was known to be flawed, and had issued a technical service bulletin (tsb) 09-23-5, and re-engineered the component. I am a loyal Ford driver, but I fear Ford's lack of ethical conduct on this issue may be cause for reconsideration of future purchases.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 042013

On Friday, November 1, I was driving to work when suddenly the Escape failed to accelerate. The wrench light appeared. I coasted to the right turn lane then stopped. Turned the Escape off, waited a few seconds and then tried starting it. It started but the entire vehicle shook. I was able to get the Escape to crawl to a parking lot. I turned it back off and waited a few minutes longer. After about ten minutes, I tried starting it and it seemed to run just fine. On Monday, November 4, I had a repeat of this. We had the repair shop tow it in, fearing that it would die in traffic and cause an accident. The car dealer says it was the throttle body.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 252013

This has happened twice now. I have been driving my car and all of a sudden I loose gas power, but my brakes and steering still works fine. I have to pull over to the side of the road and come to a complete stop. While at a complete stop I can feel my car/ engine making a jerking "thudding" noise/ motion. I then turn my car off and take my key out of the ignition for the a couple of minutes. After letting the car sit I out my key back in and try to start it. But the car hesitates to start, it cranks for a while and then eventually turns over and starts. When I begin driving again after the incident I can feel that my car is not driving the same. Both times it has occurred I was driving two completely different speeds.

- Worth, IL, USA

Oct 152013

I was driving on interstate 71 in Ohio when my car lost power totally, it had to be flat-bed towed to mansfield Ford where I was told there was a problem with the throttle body. This was very dangerous and frightening to me, now I am afraid to travel in this vehicle. I had to pay $474 to repair, which I think Ford should reimburse.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Oct 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed I lost acceleration. SUV shook then lost speed quickly. Was able to pull onto off road. Wrench lite on dash. I turned off SUV then restarted and lite went away. Drove to next turn off so I could turn around to head home. Samething happened on way home but after restarting SUV the wrench lite changed to engine service lite. Was able to get home from there. Took for service which concluded electronic throttle body was dirty so it cleaned. Was able to drive for about 20 days when issues accrued again. Throttle body needed replaced.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Oct 152013

We have been having issues with the car since August of 2013. The car would lose power while driving slowing down to a crawl without notice. This issue happened about 5 times since that occurrence. Car has been in the shop 5 times since that time with about $2000 in repair bills that included engine work, new battery, new alternator, etc. The car was towed each time to mongos auto repair in cinnaminson NJ. On this occurrence I did a google search and found that this model is having common problems as per the above and the throttle body needs to be replaced to repair the issue. Mongos checked and there was a recall by Ford to repair this issue. We never received a recall notice from Ford. We were informed it would have been covered under the drive train warranty if the car had 60,000 miles or less. My wife drives the vehicle and was put into very dangerous situations due to this faulty defect in manufacturing. Can I contact someone about never receiving the recall and get reimbursed for the $2000 in repairs plus the new bill to replace the throttle body?

- Cinnaminson, NJ, USA

Oct 092013

While in the left lane of a 3 lane highway (bishop Ford) I was traveling about 65 mph then accelerating to 72 mph the car made a jerk ( felt like the transmission) then there was no acceleration and the wrench light came on. I tried to push the gas and nothing. I slowly moved to the emergency lane which was very dangerous because the average speed on this highway is about 70 and I had to crossover 2 lanes and at this point the car was less than 40 mph. No one wants to slow down to let you over. I had my 2 yr old in the car at the time so I was very nervous about getting hit by another vehicle. I turned off the car and the restarted and it and drove ok without this happening again. This jerk motion has happened several times and when I had it checked at the dealer while under warranty they could not find anything wrong because it did not do it when they drove the car. Anytime I had a complaint while under warranty they could not find anything wrong with the car. This is a hazard and to know so many complaints have been made and nothing has been done by Ford..................................anyone?S death by this will be on their hands.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Oct 082013

Started to accelerate and the car just has no power to go. Engine runs but touching the gas does nothing. Engine runs around 1K RPM's. the wrench light comes on. If you can live to turn the vehicle off and restart, the light goes out and the vehicle works fine. Seems like a lot of owners are having this problem. This is a life threatening problem.

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Car intermittently stalled while driving at speeds from 1-30 mph or following a stop. This continued to increase to the point that the car stalled every few feet. Car had to be towed to Ford dealer for throttle body replacement and reprogram. Dealer charge for labor and parts was $ $732.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 152010

Escape 4-cyl

Fuel system warning light appeared. Repaired by dealer under warranty. Reappeared September 16,2013. Adjusted. Reappeared September 24,2013 replaced fuel filler pipe. Since this is part of emission controls should be covered under emission warranty.

- San Miguel, CA, USA

Sep 222013

After waiting at a red light, my vehicle travelled about 100 yards. The engine shuttered, accelerator pedal was unresponsive, and the engine rpms dropped to 900. I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the car then restarted it. Everything was fine, except for my confidence, for the next 6 miles. While driving 45 mph, the engine shuttered, wrench light and check engine light illuminated, and rpms immediately dropped. Same unresponsive accelerator pedal. I then put the car in neutral and coasted to a side road. I turned the car off and waited a couple of minutes, enough time to call my wife and let her know to be ready to come pick me up if my car wouldn't make it home. I restarted the car and 7 miles later I was home with no problems. I have not been to a mechanic or called Ford or anything of that nature as this has just occurred within the last couple of hours.

- Johns Island, SC, USA