2009 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 012016

My 2009 Ford Escape is stalling when I come to a stop. It is happening regularly and becoming a considerable safety issue.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Jun 162016

Electronic throttle body is malfunctioning causing vehicle to not shift properly and causing the vehicle. This has happened on the freeway out of the blue and almost caused an accident. When the vehicle is shut off the light goes out and comes back on while driving sometimes same day, sometimes a couple days later. Unless the light is on the code cannot be obtained.

- Burton, OH, USA

May 122016

Was driving at approximately 20-25 mph, slowing down when car lost power. Wrench light came on first time this happened. Pressing accelerator did nothing. Car continued to slow down to a stop with car still running, albeit hesitating and "idling rough". turned car off and back on. Car started back up and ran ok but did the same thing the next day, but this time the wrench light did not come on. Online research indicated it was likely the throttle body, which had potential for dangerous situations, citing possible sudden deceleration. So I took the car to a local Ford dealer to fix it, but they did not fix it. Instead they "fixed" a different code they said showed up on the computer and did not even address the throttle body issue. The same thing happened two days later but, again, no lights came on. The third time it happened, the same thing occurred twice within 2 miles. Apparently it's still the throttle body I asked the dealership to fix a month ago that they did not fix. So now I'm out $600 to the dealership, and the problem is still not fixed. On all occasions, the car was being driven on side city streets at a fairly slow rate of speed, not exceeding 25 mph. And fortunately traffic was clear so I could pull off to the side of the road to get the car re-started safely.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

May 232016

Radiator fan is constantly running at high speed even when engine is cold. When turning on the ac for the first time this year a cloud of something came out of the vents which startled the driver and could have caused an accident if in a congested area. Ac is now blowing warn air only. This same issue is noted numerous times in online forums from other 2008 - 2011 Ford Escape owners.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Nov 282015

After only about 36.000 miles, the PCM computer controlling everything in the car suddenly failed. Luckily it happened while parked and not on the road which would have been catastrophic. It appears this is a known problem with Ford Escape vehicles in the past and presents a potential safety risk if the failure occurred while driving. There was no forewarning of this failure.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 192015

When attempting to close the rear widow glass literally exploded prior to actually shutting

- Silverdale, WA, USA

May 282015

Driving to work which is about 2 miles from where I am located at. My car suddenly loses power, the radio is still working, A/C is still working as well as the engine but I was not getting no acceleration at all and to top it all off, my steering wheel locked on me and 3 lights on the dashboard illuminated: Wrench light, oil and engine light. I got the engine light fixed the other week as well as an oil change several weeks back and the wrench was the first for me. I done some research and I see that I am not the only customer with a Ford Escape with this problem. I called different mechanics, some say its the alternator or it could be the throttle body, but either way I am screwed because Ford charges an arm and a leg to fix the problem, but does not refund you if the problem continues to persist. I called my local Ford dealership in ft. Myers, fl and they told me to make an appointment and pay a $100 for a diagnostic too see what the problem could be, my issue is that I am afraid that I can not even make it to the dealership and I end up in an accident or I pay a $100 for them too tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car(something Ford is known for). I hope something is getting done with this problem, if not Ford is going to lose its customers and if so I am going to switch over to Dodge.

- Ft. Myers, FL, USA

May 242015

Washing my car and notice rusted wheel well on rear passenger side. Rust is coming through to the outside over the tire. Upon investigation, this seems to be a common problems with the Ford Escape. Apparently, this leads to more severe problems with the shocks and other parts breaking. I have only had this car for 5 years and usually Ford makes a wonderful product. I am greatly disappointed in this severe flaw and unfortunately will not be able to do anything about it due to cost. Hopefully, I will not pay with my life.

- Franklin, IN, USA

Aug 012014

2009 Ford Escape has a known issue with rust from the underbody and appears thru to the painted surface, it can also lead to rust to the shock and under the undercoating of the vehicle. It will lead to issues that can cause accidents. Ford will do nothing to fix the known issue and it is a manufacturing problem that has effected so many vehicles. Hoping this will help.

- Seymour, IN, USA

Jun 182014

Escape 6-cyl

I live in Canada. Ford has the incorrect address for me on their database of recall addresses. On their envelope address field for me they have misspelled my last name by truncating the name to only about 5 characters and have also mistyped my apartment number by also truncating it to an incorrect apartment number. When I called Ford Canada about the incorrect address information they said it had "nothing to do with Ford and that who ever is providing them with address info should be contacted by me". does this seem to be the right way for Ford to handle this " I only received the recall notice because the government of Canada post office found my real address and in pen changed the address to my actual correct address. Question: Are many other recall notices not mailed properly and are many people therefore not receiving in their mail recall notices " note: I put in New York for my state and zip of 00000 so that this would get through to you.

- Canada, NY, USA

Aug 302013

Two times today, while I was driving, my 2009 Ford Escape stalled while I was driving. The first time I was in the middle of an intersection around noon on a six lane road, and the second time luckily I was in my neighborhood. This is ridiculously unsafe, and Ford has taken no responsibility.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 302013

Jerking of my vehicle back and forth then reduced speed. My dealer said it was the throttle body.

- Atkins, IA, USA

Jun 222013

Escape 6-cyl

I was leaving our local store and turned onto the access road to have my car start shaking and won't go faster than about 4 mph. Right after, the powertrain symbol came on followed the engine light. With my hazard lights on I crept into the closest parking lot and turned off the car, waited a few minutes and then started it again. When turned back on the lights were all gone, so I assumed it was a fluke. Until I started driving and as soon as I turned everything turned back on and the shaking happened again. I had to have my vehicle towed to the dealership. The dealership told me the it was the throttle and that the part was on back order because of so many of the Escapes breaking in the same part. Now its the sit and wait game for weeks!

- Cypress, TX, USA

Aug 132011

On Aug 13, 2011 the rear window on our 2009 Ford Escape shattered when the hatch door was closed. This is the second time that this has happened. The first time was Nov 12, 2010 and we filed a report then too. Fortunately, both times our car was sitting in our driveway. Both times this happened for no apparent reason when my wife closed the door. We know that the NHTSA is investigating the 2010 - 2011 Escape for this problem. Please include earlier models as well. We believe this problem needs immediate attention because if it happened while driving on the highway a serious accident could occur.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Dec 312010

Escape 4-cyl

Walnut creek Ford misrepresented that the Ford Escape I was purchasing with 17 inch wheels and tires could be driven with cables at the time that we acquired the vehicle and signed an acknowledgment that it could not use snow chains. Subsequently, when we had to use the cables we discovered that the vehicle could not be driven in California in snow at all because neither cables or snow chains can be used. Snow tires are not an option because the California highway patrol allows snow tires only with 4 wd vehicles and this car is a 2 wd vehicle, therefore, the vehicle cannot be driven safely in snow at all. This is a safety issue and the walnut creek Ford dealership will not acknowledge its responsibility to remedy this safety defect and in fact will not even return my phone calls at all. Updated portable 03/03/11

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 122010

My wife was loading our Escape trunk before going to work in the morning. When she closed the hatch door, the rear window shattered outward. It was like the window exploded sending glass all over the driveway behind the vehicle. The window cost almost $600 to replace and the Ford body shop estimated almost $1,300 damage to the hatch finish for the nicks and scratches from the broken glass. We contacted Ford but they refused to cover any of the damage. Our insurance covered the cost of the repairs except for our $250 deductible. We found a web site where there were 31 incidents of Escape rear windows shattering. We believe there must be a defect in the glass or window design and want to go on record that this is a problem with the Ford Escape.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA