2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Oct 162016

Escape

My 88 year old mother drives this steering went out as she was driving it does this when it wants to. Ford charged us $123 to tell us its the steering column sensor and wants $1,500 to fix she doesn't have. Seems this is a huge problem Ford doesn't want to fix. 40,000 mile vech that had ever service done at Ford and its not safe to drive now.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 072016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle lost power steering. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was informed that the vehicle experienced the same failures as NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 112,000.

- Maywood, NJ, USA

Oct 272016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 15 mph, the power steering seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,000. The VIN was not available.

- West Brookfield, MA, USA

Oct 222016

Escape 4-cyl

My power steering quit due to a sensor error.. after I drove to shopping center and parked I got a power steering assist fault error, I tried starting it up again I have no power steering. I have tried shutting down and starting car back up and still now power steering.. I have read up on this and seen there are recalls for my year and make and model of car, but my VIN does not show there is one. Would like to have this issue resolved as of now I am not driving my car.

- Bates City, MO, USA

Oct 152016

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle and a warning came across my dashboard that said.. power steering assist failure. I pulled over and shut my car off to see what was going on. When I turned my car back on, my power steering was gone. I had my vehicle in the dealership in 2014 for a warranty on my sway bar and the dealership saw there was a recall notice so they plugged my car into the computer and had no codes or anything so they reprogrammed it. Now I'm having trouble with the power steering and code B2278 is coming up and neither the dealership nor the Ford Motor Company will take care of it. They told me that I didn't have an issue with it back in 2014 so the recall was closed and now that I am having the issue, they can not fix it or take care of it. The Ford Motor Company told me it was not their problem because the recall was closed due to me not having an issue with it 2 years ago. I had to drive my car home which is about 20 miles with no power steering what so ever.

- Sheffield, PA, USA

Oct 142016

Escape

Power/electric steering went out while my wife was driving. I took it to the local Ford dealership which originally said there was a recall, then there was not a recall for my particular vehicle because it came from a different manufacturing location, later, the Ford tech said that there was, in fact, a recall on my car, but the window for the recall was over two years ago.

- Jefferson, TX, USA

Oct 032016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 35 mph and making a left turn, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle collided into a guardrail. The power steering assist indicator illuminated after the crash. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 168,000.

- Mt. Pleasant, PA, USA

Oct 022016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 50 mph, the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Brook Park, OH, USA

Sep 162016

Escape

While driving on a public road at around 35mph my 2009 Ford Escape lost power steering. No warning lights came up. Was able to get into a parking lot. Tried several times turning vehicle on and off but steering only came on once then quit again. Was able to drive home in manual steering and was able to get it to summerville Ford dealership the next day. Was contacted by the dealer that the steering module in steering column had failed and needs to be replaced.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 202015

Escape

I own a 2009 Ford Escape. There was a very large recall on the steering column a couple years back, as the steering column would randomly freeze and you had very little control over your car. I had this issue. I almost got into a serious wreck during one of these freezing episodes when I was making a slow turn onto a road in atlanta, ga. The recall said to bring in the car to a local Ford dealership, and they would either do a re-set on the computer, or replace the steering column if deemed necessary. Originally, they re-set the computer. It happened one time after the computer reset, but I figured it was just a fluke. Almost a year later... the same issue started happening more frequently, again, and within 2 days, the electronic steering was completely gone. I lost all power steering ability. It went out completely. I brought it back in to gwinnett place Ford, and the "service" center said the recall had expired, and I would have to pay for a steering column out of pocket ($1,400). I had no choice but to pay out of pocket... even though there was not an expiration date on the recall. Ford hq stated that the dealership could have replaced it free of charge (instead of the $1,400 they made me pay) and then just sent the recall and the bill to Ford hq for a refund. Gwinnett place Ford blamed it all back on Ford hq for an "expired" recall. Per the recall letter, they should have replaced my steering column free of charge....they did not.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 212016

Escape

Power steering eps assist steering torque sensor (pscm) went out. NHTSA #14V284000. Ford recall 14S05. Purchased 12/14 at brandon Ford (fl). Not ever informed of recall. Actually texted that they did not know of recall. Called Ford who put a case # on it. Review done by Ford but they said brandon Ford did a test on it and reprogrammed the sensor. Ford denied the claim stating it had been 12 months or 12,000 miles since purchase. The vehicle only had 18,800 miles at purchase and has approximately just over 32,000 miles now. On Ford service phone line where one goes directly to the specific recall there is no mention of not honoring the full replacement of parts and labor dependent on if it is under 12 months or 12,000 miles. Neither does it state that in the online recall info. The cost for this repair we have been told is some $1300. The car is sitting at autonation Ford in panama city, Florida right now. The service manager and the assistant to the general manager at brandon Ford are not returning calls and voicemessages. This has been a fiasco with Ford. My daughter or anyone else could be seriously injured or worse and it states such especially at low speeds on the Ford recall recording line message yet nothing is being honored or done. Luckily she was stationary in a driveway and the car was in park when the failure occurred instead of on a street, highway or interstate.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 212016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While the vehicle was parked, the contact attempted to start the vehicle and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was previously reprogrammed per NHTSA campaign number: 14V2840000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,700.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving, the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering sensor and steering column had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the onboard diagnostic warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The dealer stated that the mass air index was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. In addition, the maintenance warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The vehicle was repaired, but the ABS, low tire pressure, traction control, and parking warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired again. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 169,000. Updated 10/18/16

- Supply, NC, USA

Aug 012016

Escape

Started car, went to back out of parking space and there was no steering. Pulled back into space and turned car off, popped hood to see if I could see anything wrong. Waited a few minutes, started car again, steering was fine. Notice I did not get hood down all the way, so I pulled over, turned off car, and secured hood. When I got back in the car, lost steering again. Turned off car, steering worked again. Made it home. Waited a few minutes after turning car off, and restarted it. Again no steering. Took brute force to turn wheel. At no time did a warning light come on indicating any trouble.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Jul 312016

Escape

Vehicle no power and surging.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 242016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 30 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated that the vehicle required extra force to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the electronic power steering module software needed to be serviced or updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 162016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 70 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Hamtramck, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Escape

The power steering stopped working while driving on a city street. I was turning into a shopping mall and there was suddenly no way I could steer this car. It is dangerous to try driving the vehicle. You cannot turn it without brute force and it is impossible to steer at slow speeds. It is definitely a safety issue. The problem is a torque sensor which when it goes out, the entire steering column must be replaced to the tune of $1500. Ford should take responsibility for this issue before too many owners end up in crashes.

- Myrtle, MS, USA

Jun 182016

Escape

The power steering suddenly stopped working. It did not work for over 2 hours. After stopping and turning off the car for 5 min., the power steering began working again.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Jun 062016

Escape

No warning that something was wrong. Was told it could have happened on the highway at a high rate of speed. Which would have made it impossible to steer and could have caused life threatening injury of possibly death. The car was parked on Friday, sat over the weekend and when I went in to start it on Monday and drive it to work the steering wheel was hard to move and the tires stayed stationary. Towed it to the dealer and was told the steering column broke and needed to be replaced and it wasn't under warranty anymore and the recall that is out there was not applicable for this specific problem with the steering column. They dealer said it would cost approx $1,400 to replace the steering column. It was never in an accident and was never part of theft. It is 9 years old, never towed anything and not driven hard.

- Derwood, MD, USA