2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Jan 292016

Escape

My 2009 Ford Escape on Jan 29,2016 went to dealer for oil change service man turned key for mileage a message read power steering assist fault he said I wonder why this is showing" he fiddled with a few buttons and dismissed it. Left car for oil change returned picked up went to apt. For front brakes and tire rotation left driving about 10 miles per hour suddenly felt a shaking in steering wheel then loss of power steering nearly ran into a curb got control drove to near auto store looked for fluid stick was not one, went back to dealership told them my power steering just went out? they said we never heard of this before" another service man came listened said he had a truck in a month ago same thing cost customer $1500 I was shocked left went home my wife suggested I go to a auto mechanic a block from us I did he did research while I was there, he found a recall in 2014 for 2008-2011 Ford Escapes for power steering loss. I went back to dearlership took the print out of safety recall they did something on their computer found they had done a computer reprograming in Aug 2014 and sorry the recall for us was closed. I did not receive a letter but the service dept in Aug 2014 when having a regular oil change they performed this reprogramming for this recall which after now leaves me unable to get help. They recently explained since they did their duty at that time and found nothing than that closed the safety recall for our faulty power steering now gone. I asked them what if you had not done that reprograming in Aug 2014 and now my power steering gone would I now be able to get it fixed under the recall he said yes! this seems to me like a scam to all their customers, they knew exactly the problem and knew I may have a loss later on and covered their a ss ES. They have quoted me $1300 to replace steering column, rack, tierods. The owner of the dealership said to C

- Gridley, CA, USA

Mar 192014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel began to shake violently and became inoperable while the power steering assist light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Naples, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, there was a loss of power steering without warning. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After the vehicle resumed in operation the failure continued. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the power steering control module was replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle shook severely while idling. The vehicle was restarted and the power assist fail warning light illuminated. The vehicle was driven to repair shop who diagnosed that the sensor module or steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The dealer indicated that the vehicle was previously serviced under the recall. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Jan 232016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering); however, the remedy failed to prevent the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Tusan, AZ, USA

Jan 212016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact felt the steering wheel becoming stiff. The contact was able to merge over to the shoulder and, when the vehicle slowed, the steering seized. The vehicle was diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The contact was able to exit the highway and had the vehicle towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Ft Washington, PA, USA

Dec 312015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that three months after the vehicle was serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), steering wheel seemed slightly detached and the steering was difficult when in reverse and attempting to turn the vehicle left or right. The contact mentioned that there was no failure experienced prior to the recall remedy being performed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,402.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 102016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering assist fault warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 92,477. Updated 04/20/16

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Aug 102015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), but the failure recurred. In addition, the vent controls failed to work after the dealer replaced a cylinder and the ignition switch. The vehicle also violently shook, which caused the steering wheel to become extremely unstable while driving. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced as well as the steering column. The manufacturer was notified and refused to provide a good will option for the contact. The approximate failure mileage was 136,400.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 052016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 10 mph and making a turn, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque module in the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Amelia Courthouse, VA, USA

Nov 232015

Escape

Several times upon starting my 2009 Escape, the power steering would not work. It was like trying to steer the car when it was not started. After shutting the vehicle off and re-starting several times, the power steering would then work properly. A Ford dealer said that the only fix for this problem was to replace the steering column. Even though my vehicle had less than 36,000 miles on the odometer, Ford would not cover the cost. I decided to have the problem repaired for fear that the power steering would quit while driving. I had to pay $1137.07 out of pocket to fix the problem. I am the original owner of the Escape

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 012015

Escape

Steering wheel is extremely stiff and very difficult to turn, especially at slower speeds; error code B1342; suspect failed torque sensor

- Longwood, FL, USA

Dec 052015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Reading, MA, USA

Nov 032015

Escape

Takata recall since I purchased my vehicle I had a problems with power steering I learn to cut the vehicle off and restart.my car was service at adamson Ford in birmingham Alabama for a power steering recall it is worst now I cannot cut it off it is hard than before to turn I return back the service advisor stated the problems with power steering has been performed already he stated a sensor harness pulled loose but I am return to adamson today 11/30/15 I called before thanksgiving the service advisor no tech. Available until Monday 11/30/15.my car I power steering is worst now before going to get recall..this is the third time 11/3/15 and 11/16/15 will return 11/30/15.I only have one car I need my car fits or like it was before I could turn off and restart.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 222015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the steering wheel seized as the electric power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000. Updated 09/30/16

- Decatur, GA, USA

Nov 202015

Escape

A few times in the past week I have driven my vehicle straight from a parked location only to find I have no power steering 40-50 yards into the trip. This has almost caused an accident. When I pull over and shut off the vehicle, the problems usually goes away, or goes away after several shutdown cycles. My vehicle was part of recall 14S05, and received a software update in 2014. Since then the steering has been noticeably different and sometimes shaky when braking at highway speeds. Even worse, Ford is not honoring the recall. I went into a dealership today and they informed me the recall was closed out and there was nothing they could do free of charge, even though much of what I've read from this investigation is that the software update only pushed off the problem and did not fix it. I am very certain the problem is a torque sensor based on the discussion here. It appears Ford has no care in fixing a critical safety problem, and is in fact, trying to cover it up with software and passing it off as usual wear and tear.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 182015

Escape

My Ford Escape electronic power steering has been acting erratically. It seems to work fine sometimes, but then turns off at other times. This makes it extremely hard to turn the vehicle.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Nov 022015

Escape

2009 Ford Escape power steering failure. This occurs while driving at all speeds with no warning and also on start up of the vehicle. Vehicle was serviced under Ford safety recall 14S05 and torque sensor was replaced and the epas software reprogrammed. Exact same symptoms of power steering failure have recurred, this time diagnosing as power steering control module needing replacement and thus the entire steering column. Ford has declined to service vehicle under safety recall 14S05 due to the torque sensor already being replaced. The power steering control module is, however, listed under the safety recall. I was told by the local dealership that did the original recall work and Ford customer representatives that this is now not covered under the recall because of the torque sensor already being replaced under the same recall. However, prior work done under the recall was inadequate in solving the issues.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 042015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering ability seized. The contact pulled over to the side of the road. The vehicle was started again and the power steering returned to normal. The contact called the dealer who performed a software update on the vehicle and was advised to call headquarters. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While making a right turn at approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA