2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Oct 142015

Escape

Vehicle was subject to Ford recall #14S05 which dealt with a torque sensor in the steering column. At the time we took it in there were no codes reported so the dealer performed the recommended service and reprogrammed the software. Approximately a month later my wife experienced a power steering failure on the way to work. We took the vehicle to the dealer who found the code for the torque sensor and replaced it but this did not resolve the issue. After consulting Ford it was recommended to replace the entire steering column. I was advised by my dealer that the initial recall work did not fix the issue and this was the needed repair but that it would not be covered since they had performed the initial recommended repair(reprogramming of the software). At this point even my dealer agrees that the initial fix is inadequate and it should be a complete replacement of the steering column but Ford will no longer honor the recall since it was "fixed" once.

- Columbia, PA, USA

Oct 192015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While reversing the vehicle and shifting into drive, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 172015

Escape

Power steering has gone out have replace front inner bearing, transmission lines, keep up on all my maintained records since I bought the vehicle in Sept 2014' and have all other maintain economic records.

- Welch, WV, USA

Oct 152015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 35 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Sep 302015

Escape

Power steering has gone out three times without any warning. The car was in motion each time the power steering went out. Twice on the highway and once backing out of the driveway. Service center at mullinix Ford in mobile, al said it was an electronic problem and would cost $698 plus tax to fix the problem. Doing research, I see there are several complaints concerning this same problem and Ford is not concerned with the safety of its car owners. I have been a Ford car owner my entire life and this makes me wonder why!

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 162015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While in reverse, the power steering failed. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Horse Shoe , NC, USA

Aug 132015

Escape 6-cyl

Power steering failure: Following the first occurrence (14 Aug 2015) there were several other instances within the next couple of days whereby I lost power steering again and had to revert to manual steering. Nine months ago ( 10 Dec 2014) I had my car serviced at Ford's expense for their recall 14S05 that related to their "electrical power steering" defect which only amounted to a computer code reprogram. Then on August 26, 2015, after several more failures, I had my car serviced for the power steering failure in which case the steering column assembly and the housing had to be replaced at my expense which I didn't think was fair. Recall 14S05, to me, was a quick fix which did not address the root of the problem. An attempt to have Ford accept responsibility was not successful and I had to pay for the service which was quite expensive. I am hoping for a recall concerning this defect since I have read many more complaints (same problem) from other drivers with the same make and model and if so, qualify for reimbursement. Thank you for your time

- Panama City, FL, USA

Aug 152015

Escape

In February of 2015 I took my vehicle into al piemonte's arlington heights Ford in arlington heights, Illinois because our power steering had been going out intermittently while driving. They said it just needed a computer update relating to recall 14S05. Last weekend the power steering went out completely and never came back on. There was no warning, no indicator light or sound as referenced in recall 14S05. I reluctantly drove it into the closest dealership, golf mill Ford in niles, Illinois. To be proactive, I called Ford customer care at 800-392-3673 and explained what was going on. They created a "case for me" and said to wait to hear from the service manager at the dealership. He called me last evening and said that Ford won't honor the recall because it had been "cleared" and they wouldn't cover any portion of the repair which will be around $1200 (to replace the steering column assembly). I've had to get a rental vehicle as well. I called Ford customer care last night and asked how they made that decision. The agent said it was the warranty department but they only will speak with the dealership. I asked for a supervisor or manager and they said no was was available. I asked if I could get a call back from one and the agent said his system went down so there was nowhere to save the information. Today I called Ford customer care again and explained in detail specifically that if I hadn't brought it in back in February they would be honoring this recall. Also the update done in February did not even work.there was no indicator light or sound when power steering went out.

- Skokie, IL, USA

Jun 252015

Escape 6-cyl

TL the contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering failed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (power steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 54,342. The consumer stated he took the vehicle to the dealer anyway to have it inspected, even though he wasn't experiencing any problems. However, a year later, the steering failed while driving. There were no chimes or trouble lights before the power steering failed. The vehicle is currently displaying trouble code B1342. The consumer reminded the dealer about the recall. However, the dealer stated the vehicle was not listed on the NHTSA website as being recalled. The consumer was informed the vehicle was previously looked at, during the time of the recall. The cost to fix the vehicle was $1327.90

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 202014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they indicated that the repair was not required. The dealer did not indicate if the software was updated for the power steering control module (pscm) and the instrument cluster module nor did they specify if the torque sensor signal had a failure. Months later, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became extremely tight and difficult to turn left or right. The failure had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was indicated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While traveling approximately 30 mph, there was a sudden loss of power steering without warning. The contact had to merge to the side of the road, where the vehicle was turned off and restarted, which reset the computer. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 8/10/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. A new steering column was installed on 6/11/15. The consumer requested to be reimbursed for the repairs. Updated 11/24/2015

- Westfield, IN, USA

May 232015

Escape

I took my vehicle in for the power steering calibration update in March 2015. In may I was driving down a muddy road when my power steering just went out. I was on the edge of the road near a cliff and was trying to maneuver around another vehicle stuck in the mud. It could have been disastrous if I was not going so slowly. I took it to a mechanic who diagnosed it as a computer problem with the torque sensor or power steering module. All fuses, wires, and fluids were good. I was not near a Ford dealer so had to drive over 300 miles without power steering to get to a dealer. The dealer told me that there were no problems when they did the update in March and that while there is currently a safety recall on the power steering system it is not for this problem (P2274) and therefore I have to pay for the repair. I did not have any problems prior to completing the recall calibration. Ford needs to address this before someone gets killed.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

May 032015

Escape

"power steering assist fault" message appeared on dashboard. Vehicle was unable to steer left/right due to power steering malfunctioning.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While attempting to start the vehicle, the power steering assist fault was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the steering shaft torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 149,000.

- Bueno Vista, CO, USA

Apr 172015

Escape 4-cyl

In July of 2014 I had the recall performed on my Escape for the power steering. A few months later the power steering went out again and I returned it to the dealership that had performed the recall work and was told that if it went out again I would need to have the power steering sensor replaced. A couple of days later the power steering went out again. In April of 2015 I took it back to the dealership to have the sensor replaced and after replacing the sensor he discovered it didn't fix the problem. He spent a couple of days working with Ford to figure out what was wrong as all the computers were saying it was the sensor. Ford finally said it was the electronic steering column that needed replaced which was over double the price. After talking with the service manager about concerns I had with replacing that at such a high cost I learned that Ford knew about issues with the original steering column components and they have changed them in the replacement parts. Ford refused to work with the service manager on fixing it for me or working with the cost even though everything pointed too the sensor. Ford is at serious fault knowing there are problems with the steering column and just tried to put a band aid on it with the recall that they did issue.

- Vassar, MI, USA

Dec 282014

Escape 6-cyl

On December 28,2014 I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy main street when my power steering suddenly went out almost causing an accident. I took it into my mechanic the next day and was told it was my battery, which was replaced. On March 25, 2015 I was turning onto a side street when the power steering went out again. This time my alternator was replaced. I am suspicious that everytime something electrical goes, the power steering goes out. I am not convinced the battery or the alternator were defective now. There is a recall for this issue, but my VIN says mine is not recalled.

- Dewitt, MI, USA

Mar 122015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning and caused the vehicle to strike a pothole. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the front passenger rim and the front suspension fractured. As result, both needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Carrollton , TX, USA

Feb 152014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel was unable to turn left. The contact stated that power steering assist fault was displayed across the message board. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column and the torque sensors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Granville , IL, USA

Feb 232015

Escape

When I received the recall on the powersteering in the fall of 2014, I took it into a Ford dealer where they said it wasn't showing any "codes" but they re-programmed it this was 9/2014. In 2/2015 I started to notice occasionally jerking of the steering wheel while idling. On 2/23/15 it because severe jerking and shaking when the vehicle was in park or idling, I stopped by the Ford dealer on 2/25 and they told me it had nothing to do with the warranty. On 3/2/15 I lost all power steering and am now paying $1000 to have the entire power steering column replaced. I have seen numerous similar comments of this problem -- what is Ford going to do about it?!

- Paynesville, MN, USA