2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Nov 102014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while pulling out of parking lot, the steering wheel seized and the power steering assist fault message illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 202014

Escape 4-cyl

2009 Ford Escape steering recall 14V284000 loss of powersteering and Ford is stating won't repair as it had been serviced for the said recall back in July.

- Berlin, WI, USA

Oct 062014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) in July of 2014 but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Atex, NC, USA

Jan 042013

Escape 4-cyl

Ford Escape 2009 power steering failed. Since then Ford had a recall on the power steering to fix problem. Fords recall was to update software in the computer but made no provision if the power steering sensor fails later. This made no sense and when a sensor fails the cost to repair is expensive.

- Portage, MI, USA

Oct 302014

Escape

Driving tried to make turn, no power steering, dealer reset modules on recall letter in July, said no other problem were found, 3 months later having the same problem! gave me an est. Of $830 to fix the problem that is also stated on the recall letter! called Ford one day said everything covered take to dealer. Next day it's not covered! tired of the run around! hope NHTSA reads this before someone gets hurt real bad!

- Falls Creek, PA, USA

Jan 022014

Escape

We driving at highway speed when all electric components went out. We could not steer. Fortunately it was a straight road and no nearby traffic. We stopped the car and restarted and it worked. We were petrified! a later incident the wipers would only work on high speed. They returned to normal after restarting the car.

- Milford, DE, USA

Aug 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I received the recall notice in the mail (14S05) effective July 25, 2014. I brought the vehicle to a Ford dealer to have the recall satisfied in August in which I believe consisted of a control module software update. Until this service we had no problems with the power steering. Shortly after the service my daughter started having the problem with the power steering completely going out. Because she is a college student, I located the closest Ford dealer to her location which is don reid Ford in maitland, fl. I took it to them specifically to address the recall failure. The service manager at don reid said that the recall had already been closed out and any additional work would be at regular charge. Then he said that the problem is with the steering column and it would need to be replaced. I told him that I would like to pick up the vehicle and either reschedule the repair or even have my daughter drive it to the original dealer for the work and to address the fact that the software patch did not resolve the problem. His comment was that "this is a very dangerous matter and would not advise anyone drive the vehicle". I decided it was in our best interest to have the steering column replaced and to address the recall issue after. The repair was $1,000. Ford refuses to reimburse me for the expenses. Now sometimes when my daughter tries to start the car by turning the key nothing happens. She removes the key, reinserts it and it will work. I have called and spoken to several Ford customer service reps who basically agree with my assessment that the steering column replacement be included in the remedy for the steering failure. They also said that the service manager would have to discuss this with the regional service manager and submit the repair as the recall.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Escape

First sign of problem occurred in August 2014 when I put keys in ignition it would not allow me to start car. It was locked, or frozen up. I tried to move steering wheel but could barely move it. After about 5 to 7 minutes of trying to turn wheel, it unlocked and I was able to start vehicle. Next problem occurred in early September when turning wheel to back into parking space, it froze up and locked. I slowly turned wheel until it kind of unlocked. The next time the steering wheel froze was in late September. While making a right hand turn, I lost my power steering briefly. I was able to get off the road and parked for a minute or two before starting back on the drive home. It was unnerving to feel like I had no power over the car. As of yesterday, October 4th, the steering wheel vibrates when vehicle is idle. I came home from work, parked it and have not driven it since.

- Fairland, IN, USA

Sep 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I had the recent steering recall done, never had an issue. Was out of town and then started the car and the wrench light was on. I went to the Ford dealership and they replaced the throttle body. In less than a week now when slowing down to make a turn the car has cutoff once and the next day had no pickup after making a turn. I do not know if its related to the past recalls on the throttle body or not.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Sep 242014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

After driving the car there was an abrupt loss of power steering. The steering became very hard and made it difficult to turn. The problem persisted throughout the length the of the trip. After several start ups after the vehicle would initially regain power steering for a short period of say 1/8 of a mile and it would revert back to the hard steering. After taking the vehicle to a dealer, they informed me of the issue and how it is exactly the same as a current recall, however my VIN is not eligible for that recall. After speaking with Ford customer service, I was told the same thing. While I am experiencing the same problem as the thousands of other vehicles, my vehicle is not eligible for the recall service.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 212014

Escape

When start the vehicle I had no power steering. Got to a friend house who look at the vehicle. After turn it on/off power steering came back.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 202014

Escape

Vehicle stalled about 2 weeks ago. Oil change light and low tire pressure light came on a week later. Had maintenance done a week later. I was not notified about any recalls. Noticed that the steering wheel was really loose after rotate and balance was done. Took car to dealership and reported issue with steering. Dealership stated that it may need alignment but could not do service until next week. Put gas in car and vehicle stalled. Battery and oil light came on. After a few more times was able to get it started. Stalled again stalled again at stop light. Made it to auto parts shop and put fuel injection fluid in tank. Car stalled. Finally started again. Made it to repair shop. Did diagnostic tests no codes reported. They examined the fuel and it was good. They guessed that the fuel pump may need replacing. I researched recalls on my VIN and found that there are 2 recalls on the vehicle that were never performed. Purchased vehicle in May. Never received recall notices. Repair shops and dealerships are not checking for recalls when diagnosing problems.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Sep 022014

Escape 4-cyl

Power steering failed while on the NJ turnpike going about 70 mph with no warning. My car has been in the shop for over a week now, and Ford has not sent the part to the dealer's repair shop where I took the car. I cannot get an answer out of the shop or out of Ford. I filed a complaint with Ford last week, but nothing has been done since - they promised to expedite the case, but they've done absolutely nothing. There is a tracking number on the part, but it has not arrived, nor has anyone attempted to get a replacement for the first missing part. I was given a loaner car - a 1999 Mercury Sable with 130K miles - which is very sketchy. After the incident, I learned, via my iphone, that this was a recall issue and that turning the car off and back on would temporarily fix the problem, which I did. I never received a recall notice from Ford!

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Escape 4-cyl

Excessive wear on front brakes, replaced at 18,000 miles and again at 25,000 miles plus new calipers. Vehicle's current mileage is 27,000...steers better now... difficultly inserting key in ignition unless steering is in the lock position.. current problem.

- York, PA, USA

Jun 152013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted which incidentally clear the error codes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to be diagnosed the failure since the power steering warning light was no longer illuminated. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V284000 (steering) but was unable to confirm if the VIN was included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Ft.Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 212014

Escape 4-cyl

While I was driving my vehicle steering would lock. I was not able to turn my vehicle steering column unless I turned my vehicle off and on again, at which time it would work for approximately 200 feet then once again the steering column would lock. According to the Ford dealer, the whole steering column needed to be replaced and now I find that there is a recall on a sensor in the steering column, and not the replacement of the steering column. Replacement of the steering column aren't covered under the recall Ford has issued. There are other complaints out there with the same issue.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

May 222014

Escape 6-cyl

Seems to accelerate unpredictably when turning. No incidents yet, but concerning. Also, my mechanic says the steering motor is leaking. My Ford was made in Missouri. I do not know if this related to the recall of Escapes made in Kansas.

- Ludington, MI, USA

Apr 212014

Escape 4-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle the steering wheel remained locked, as if the power steering went out. I had to stop and restart the vehicle 5-6 times before the power steering would return to normal. I have seen many complaints regarding this issue when I researched it. This is a dangerous defect, because of the difficulty in steering the vehicle when the power steering is out. I also realize that there is no power steering fluid because this is an electrical system. I just purchased this vehicle from a Ford dealership, and do not have the money (upwards of $1500 to replace the steering column. Other vehicles that have this problem, Kia, Toyota, are reporting this defect on their vehicle as a recall and paying for replacements for their customers. I am very disappointed in Ford for not handling this issue and will never buy another Ford again!

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Apr 212014

Escape 6-cyl

With no warning, the electric power steering stopped working on the vehicle. It was an intermittent failure as it took 2 days for the dealership to replicate it. When it failed for me/us, luckily I was pulling out of a parking lot, very close to the dealership, and not traveling at high speeds or in significant traffic. It was so difficult to turn the steering wheel that my arm muscles were sore. Looking at some online forums, this does not appear to be an isolated failure to our vehicle. My/our concern is 1) why is there no warning/indication that the power steering is/will be failing? it is electric, so there is no fluid to check or maintain. 2) what if I hadn't been in a parking lot and had been traveling at a higher speed? the effort required to maneuver the vehicle was extreme, and had I needed to change direction quickly, I would not have been able to.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Escape 4-cyl

I'm a teacher and on my way home from school, the power steering went out while the car was in motion. It returned approximately a mile later and then went out again. When my wife came home from work, she followed me to a mechanic, and on the drive there, the power steering went out again. There is no indication or warning light to indicate when it's about to happen and the situation is incredibly dangerous to us and surrounding drivers. We're seeing online that this is a common issue with Ford Escapes especially in 2008 and 2009 models.

- Swansboro, NC, USA