2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Feb 242014

Escape

At first steering wheel would vibrate on its own when car was started. I called Ford customer care and they said they had never received a complaint about this. I made an appt. To take car to len stoler dealership in owings mills, md. Today 3/2/15. When I started the car to take it in my message panel read " power steering assist fault" and the power steering was completely gone! the dealership says the steering angle sensor needs to be replaced and that it requires replacing the entire steering column! I went online and there are many, many complaints regarding this from other Ford Escape owners. The Ford dealerships charged from $1200- almost $1900 to fix this. In May 2014 there was a recall of some Ford Escapes regarding the power steering issue. I was told my car was not included. There should be some additional recalls for this issue..if you check the internet you will find I am not alone! there are so many complaints I would think that Ford would honor a recall and fix this problem before someone is seriously hurt. I was lucky enough to have my husband drive my car to the dealership because I could not navigate turning the steering wheel to get there. Thank you.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Oct 222014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V284 (steering) was received in October of 2014. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed an inspection and updated the software as listed in the recall. The contact indicated that on February 21, 2015, while driving approximately 3 mph pulling into a parking space, a wrench icon sensor suddenly appeared and the power steering suddenly failed causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer, the contact was informed that no additional services would be provided to the vehicle as part of the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Osceola, IN, USA

Apr 012014

Escape 6-cyl

Hard to turn at low speeds.

- Killen, AL, USA

Jan 072015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving at any speed, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was diagnosed that the steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 174,000.

- Crivitz, WI, USA

Jan 262015

Escape 6-cyl

Ford issued a recall on Escapes (recall # 14S05). The recall was related to a problem with the power steering. I brought my car to the dealer to address the recall. At the time I brought it in I was told that because there were no current problems with my power steering they were only required to calibrate it (if there had been problems they would have been required to replace it). Less than one month later my power steering stopped working. My car was towed to Ford. Ford told me that the part had to be replaced and it had to be at my own expense because I had already brought my car in once for the recall (even though it was not replaced then, it was only calibrated). They told me that had I not brought the car in a month before, to address the recall, the replacement part would have been covered under the recall. This policy encourages drivers to not bring their car in if they get a recall in the mail, instead they should wait for the part to fail while they are driving so Ford will cover the cost as part of the recall. I also feel like the only reason I ended up having a problem with the steering was because of their calibration. My Escape is a 2009 so it's been on the road for 5+ years and less than one month after I bring it in for calibration the fault light comes on and it does not work. I wish I had not brought my car in for the recall and I will reconsider any future recalls. I am not the only one who has had this issue. Please make Ford issue a second recall so people will do the right thing, which means bringing their car in to make it safer, and getting the faulty part replaced at Ford's expense as it should be.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Jan 012015

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 45-55 mph the power system assist failure light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V2840000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. However, the contact was made aware that the vehicle had been previously serviced under the recall and was no longer eligible for any repairs. The approximate failure mileage was unknown. Updated 03/30/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. The consumer requests to be reimbursed the cost of the repairs. Updated 6/23/2015 updated 02/01/16.

- Jennings, LA, USA

Jan 152015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I brought the car to the marcotte Ford. They said the part that failed was the part that was recalled. The service department called Ford and they told them they did their part on the recall when they reprogrammed it and will not cover the part. I then called Ford and spoke with them. Customer relations said they would not be able to do anything either. They would send an email to the service manager and see if he would be able to do anything to help with the cost. The service manager told me he "exhausted all his efforts". I know that I am not the only person who this has happened to and I am now out $1200 to fix a part that should have been fixed by the recall. This is unethical at best.

- Longmeadow, MA, USA

Jan 092015

Escape 4-cyl

Power steering went completely out.while driving. Car had been recall in July 2014, when a update was done for power steering assist unit. That did not correct issue Ford dealership in lugoff SC that did service offered no warranty, they inspected it and stated steering parts need to be replaced at a price of $2400 I just purchased vehicle less than 30 days when this occurred. From the research I did I am not the only one that has gotten ripped by these faulty vehicles. Something needs to be done and a recall needs to be on the steering column and other related parts that cause this issue.

- Greenwood, SC, USA

Jan 162015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) but the failure persisted. The specifics of the failure were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 2/24/15

- Callicoon, NY, USA

Jan 132015

Escape

Complete loss of power steering. Several incidents. Restarting the car sometimes fixes the problem. Hard to do while driving!

- Falls Church, VA, USA

May 152014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that when making a left or right turn, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal noise and vibration coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 112015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. Months after the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), the power assist fault light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the TPMS light illuminated and the dealer reset both codes. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- North Field, NJ, USA

Jan 072015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at a low speed, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply excessive force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Lindstrom, MN, USA

Jan 052015

Escape

After a two week period of a rapidly vibrating steering column, my power steering failed after the vehicle failed to warn me. Upon commuting home, there was excessive vibration in the steering column. Upon starting my vehicle the following day (1/6/2015), power steering was not functional. I was able to drive my vehicle to my dealership service appointment with much effort, where the dealership told me that the steering column had failed. In May 2014, Ford recalled the torque sensor located in the steering column because of power steering failures, and issued a fix to replace/reprogram the module. I had my vehicle serviced for this recall in August 2014. Power steering failed, despite the replacement of this torque sensor module. Thankfully, I was not driving at the time. This power steering failure could have caused an accident or other unsafe conditions.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 042014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included NHTSA campaign id number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Millbrook , NY, USA

Oct 082014

Escape 6-cyl

I received the recall notice in the mail (14S05) effective July 25, 2014. I brought the vehicle into garber to have the recall satisfied in August in which I believe consisted of a control module software update. Until this service we had had no problems with the power steering. Shortly after the service, my daughter started having the problem with the power steering completely going out. Because she is a college student at the university of central Florida, I located the closest Ford dealer to her location which is don reid Ford in maitland, fl. I took it to them specifically to address the recall failure. The service manager at don reid said that the recall had already been closed out and any additional work would be at regular charge. Then he said that the problem is with the steering column and it would need to be replaced. I told him that I would like to pick up the vehicle and either reschedule the repair or even have my daughter drive it to garber for the work and to address the fact that the software patch did not resolve the problem. His comment was that "this is a very dangerous matter and would not advise anyone drive the vehicle". I decided it was in our best interest to have the steering column replaced and to address the recall issue after. That is where we are today. Ford is refusing to reimburse me for the steering column replacement. I have called and written to Ford several times. They either make excuses or have me contact someone else who makes excuses. I want to be refunded for the steering column replacement.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Nov 102014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while pulling out of parking lot, the steering wheel seized and the power steering assist fault message illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 202014

Escape 4-cyl

2009 Ford Escape steering recall 14V284000 loss of powersteering and Ford is stating won't repair as it had been serviced for the said recall back in July.

- Berlin, WI, USA

Oct 062014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) in July of 2014 but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Atex, NC, USA

Jan 042013

Escape 4-cyl

Ford Escape 2009 power steering failed. Since then Ford had a recall on the power steering to fix problem. Fords recall was to update software in the computer but made no provision if the power steering sensor fails later. This made no sense and when a sensor fails the cost to repair is expensive.

- Portage, MI, USA