2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Sep 212014

When start the vehicle I had no power steering. Got to a friend house who look at the vehicle. After turn it on/off power steering came back.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 202014

Vehicle stalled about 2 weeks ago. Oil change light and low tire pressure light came on a week later. Had maintenance done a week later. I was not notified about any recalls. Noticed that the steering wheel was really loose after rotate and balance was done. Took car to dealership and reported issue with steering. Dealership stated that it may need alignment but could not do service until next week. Put gas in car and vehicle stalled. Battery and oil light came on. After a few more times was able to get it started. Stalled again stalled again at stop light. Made it to auto parts shop and put fuel injection fluid in tank. Car stalled. Finally started again. Made it to repair shop. Did diagnostic tests no codes reported. They examined the fuel and it was good. They guessed that the fuel pump may need replacing. I researched recalls on my VIN and found that there are 2 recalls on the vehicle that were never performed. Purchased vehicle in May. Never received recall notices. Repair shops and dealerships are not checking for recalls when diagnosing problems.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Sep 022014

Escape 4-cyl

Power steering failed while on the NJ turnpike going about 70 mph with no warning. My car has been in the shop for over a week now, and Ford has not sent the part to the dealer's repair shop where I took the car. I cannot get an answer out of the shop or out of Ford. I filed a complaint with Ford last week, but nothing has been done since - they promised to expedite the case, but they've done absolutely nothing. There is a tracking number on the part, but it has not arrived, nor has anyone attempted to get a replacement for the first missing part. I was given a loaner car - a 1999 Mercury Sable with 130K miles - which is very sketchy. After the incident, I learned, via my iphone, that this was a recall issue and that turning the car off and back on would temporarily fix the problem, which I did. I never received a recall notice from Ford!

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Escape 4-cyl

Excessive wear on front brakes, replaced at 18,000 miles and again at 25,000 miles plus new calipers. Vehicle's current mileage is 27,000...steers better now... difficultly inserting key in ignition unless steering is in the lock position.. current problem.

- York, PA, USA

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted which incidentally clear the error codes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to be diagnosed the failure since the power steering warning light was no longer illuminated. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V284000 (steering) but was unable to confirm if the VIN was included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Ft.Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 212014

Escape 4-cyl

While I was driving my vehicle steering would lock. I was not able to turn my vehicle steering column unless I turned my vehicle off and on again, at which time it would work for approximately 200 feet then once again the steering column would lock. According to the Ford dealer, the whole steering column needed to be replaced and now I find that there is a recall on a sensor in the steering column, and not the replacement of the steering column. Replacement of the steering column aren't covered under the recall Ford has issued. There are other complaints out there with the same issue.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

May 222014

Escape 6-cyl

Seems to accelerate unpredictably when turning. No incidents yet, but concerning. Also, my mechanic says the steering motor is leaking. My Ford was made in Missouri. I do not know if this related to the recall of Escapes made in Kansas.

- Ludington, MI, USA

Apr 212014

Escape 4-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle the steering wheel remained locked, as if the power steering went out. I had to stop and restart the vehicle 5-6 times before the power steering would return to normal. I have seen many complaints regarding this issue when I researched it. This is a dangerous defect, because of the difficulty in steering the vehicle when the power steering is out. I also realize that there is no power steering fluid because this is an electrical system. I just purchased this vehicle from a Ford dealership, and do not have the money (upwards of $1500 to replace the steering column. Other vehicles that have this problem, Kia, Toyota, are reporting this defect on their vehicle as a recall and paying for replacements for their customers. I am very disappointed in Ford for not handling this issue and will never buy another Ford again!

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Apr 212014

Escape 6-cyl

With no warning, the electric power steering stopped working on the vehicle. It was an intermittent failure as it took 2 days for the dealership to replicate it. When it failed for me/us, luckily I was pulling out of a parking lot, very close to the dealership, and not traveling at high speeds or in significant traffic. It was so difficult to turn the steering wheel that my arm muscles were sore. Looking at some online forums, this does not appear to be an isolated failure to our vehicle. My/our concern is 1) why is there no warning/indication that the power steering is/will be failing? it is electric, so there is no fluid to check or maintain. 2) what if I hadn't been in a parking lot and had been traveling at a higher speed? the effort required to maneuver the vehicle was extreme, and had I needed to change direction quickly, I would not have been able to.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Escape 4-cyl

I'm a teacher and on my way home from school, the power steering went out while the car was in motion. It returned approximately a mile later and then went out again. When my wife came home from work, she followed me to a mechanic, and on the drive there, the power steering went out again. There is no indication or warning light to indicate when it's about to happen and the situation is incredibly dangerous to us and surrounding drivers. We're seeing online that this is a common issue with Ford Escapes especially in 2008 and 2009 models.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Feb 042014

Escape 4-cyl

Steering assist went out and had to turn manually.... could not imagine what may have happened had my daughter been driving at the time. About 4 months before this the tailgate would not open either....apparently the actuator went out. You know sometimes you can over engineer something and make it so much worse. I will not own another Escape ever and probably not any other Ford.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Apr 062014

Escape 4-cyl

Upon start up, the car has issues with power steering, locking the wheel and preventing it from steering or moving. After a few minutes with the car turned off, the power steering has returned thus far, but we've had 4 incidents of this within the past week. We've read of others having similar issues while driving and we're fearful of the same happening to us. We're fearful of our safety and the safety of others but are fearful that we can't afford the cost of repair. Until we have issues while the car is in motion, we'll continue to drive it small distances.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Mar 152014

The contact owns 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated the power steering assist would fail when the vehicle was started. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated there was a service bulletin for the power steering control module; however, it would need to be replaced at the owner's expense. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure; however, declined to provide further assistance. The failure mileage was 59,071.

- Ecorse, MI, USA

Mar 212012

Escape 4-cyl

Power steering has turned off while driving.going 45 miles a hour and turning on interstate and almost ran off road. Stopped and turn off car and restarted, which made it start working again. Next time pulling out of store parking lot and went out again, hit curb before I was able to turn back to street.this electric steering is a death trap and should be fixed before somebody im at 90,000 miles and it is gotten real bad. I have to stop and restart many times to get it to come on and even then it starts to vibrate after a while. Took it to Ford they said even before looking at it most likely would need to replace the whole steering column, since the sensors are what is going bad and not sensing. I would of took it to them back when it first started, but I thought it only had something to do with there anti theft not sensing the key and thought the key might be the problem since it turned on each time before and didn't think to take it to Ford if it was working..just thought it was a glitch. After paying 1400 dollars which Ford is the only one that can fix it and reset system it works again, but with only a 24000 mile warranty. Heard electric steering last about 90,000 before needing replaced. I wouldn't be out of 1400 if I had the regular powersteering with fluid and wouldn't have had near misses with wrecks.when I pick up my Escape even the service manager said the electric steering isn't very good, but did say the F150 truck has fluid not electric steering I got..

- Omaha, NE, USA

Mar 202014

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle was difficult to steer while traveling at various speeds. The contact also mentioned that the steering wheel seized several times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the steering wheel position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,500.

- West Bloomfield Township, MI, USA

Nov 212013

We have a 2009 Escape and so far within the year and four months of having it we sadly have had non-stop problems. Our steering has locked up started back in 11/13 and has continued to now 4/14. It use to be when we started the car it would lock up and shut the car off and restart and it would unlock and if it did not unlock we drove it that way. The one day I was literally sitting in a parking lot for 1 1/2 hours waiting for it to unlock. Finally after 1 1.2 hours I tried again and it unlocked and I drove straight home and waited for my husband. Then it started to lock up while driving down the road with my kids in the car with me and scared the crap out of me. Then in Jan. 2014 the steering became permanently locked and we drive it that way just because 1.)the part is too expensive and 2.)nobody will let us trade out the vehicle just because there is no value to it is what the dealerships told us. So here we are today with a vehicle that we basically (flintstone) it. We can not afford the part while making car payments on it and trying to pay bills. There should be a recall on it if there are many more complaints because it can cause severe accidents with others. Imagine driving down the highway and it locks you can lose control go off the road and crash. Whose fault would that be"??"

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 312014

Loss of power steering. Steering wheel has been shaking recently (notice while idle). Today I started my car, I had 0 power steering. Apparently if you shut off the engine and start it again it again you may be lucky and have power steering. I learned this with a simple google search. Many who have Escapes with high mileage have the same experience. This should be a recall, seems very dangerous since from all I have read it happens while driving. "a sudden loss of power steering". this also is a very expensive part, 1,400.00-1,700.00 to fix. Please look into this.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Mar 192014

I left work and everything was ok. I made 1 stop after about an hour of driving. After getting back in the car to back out of a driveway, there was no power steering. I drove the vehicle home like this. When I got home, I turned the car off then back on and the power steering came back. Since the first occurrence, this has happened about everyday since then. Most recently, while the car is sitting still and idling, like at a stop light, the steering wheel will move a little on its own. It wiggles back and forth. I believe that if this were to happen while driving that this would be a major safety concern. I have read of quite a few people experiencing the same problems, maybe even a little worse. I feel that this should definitely be looked into.

- Newport, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Escape 4-cyl

The power steering has become very erratic. When I turn the vehicle on, about half the time when I try to turn the steering wheel it is very hard to turn. I have to shut off the vehicle and restart it, until the wheel moves so I can drive the vehicle. And then, the steering wheel shakes when the engine is idling, and it seems very free moving. I went to my mechanic and he stated the part to fix it was over $900 plus the labor to put it in. Needless to say, am very nervous about operating the vehicle, plus am pretty disappointed in Ford that they haven't recalled and fixed this very expensive, dangerous, and prevalent problem.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Mar 142014

Escape 4-cyl

My power steering went out on Friday. It came back after work after the car was restarted. Then it went out again on Saturday. It sometimes works sometimes doesn't it hasn't flipped on and off while in operation. But I am afraid that it might.

- Bay City, MI, USA